Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2012, 11:57   #2581
BHPian
 
Mr.Beat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 308
Thanked: 106 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
I am thoroughly happy with current interior/dash of my Beat. But I can't resist the interior/dash of upcoming Beat/Spark which will be launched later this year in US.

Look the Key fob, center console (need Auto AC), placement of USB port, etc. WOW! Though bit ambitious about Automatic here in India.

Cheers!
That looks awesome, a automatic diesel Beat with that Center console, bigger boot space would set the market on fire.
Mr.Beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2012, 13:02   #2582
BHPian
 
superutp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 408
Thanked: 157 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
I am thoroughly happy with current interior/dash of my Beat. But I can't resist the interior/dash of upcoming Beat/Spark which will be launched later this year in US.

Look the Key fob, center console (need Auto AC), placement of USB port, etc. WOW! Though bit ambitious about Automatic here in India.

Attachment 905899

Cheers!
So True, was drooling over it from the 'International Automotive section'.

A lil-bit of the centre console magic can be brought about by buying this mentioned here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2709118 (Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
That looks awesome, a automatic diesel Beat with that Center console, bigger boot space would set the market on fire.
And a slightly better tuned engine (Petrol) as well

Last edited by superutp : 22nd March 2012 at 13:16.
superutp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2012, 00:54   #2583
BHPian
 
superutp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 408
Thanked: 157 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Update on my FE
2.6k kms done.
95% city, 60% A.C and mostly heavy traffic conditions.
Also includes several high revving runs on the NICE road(celebration on completing 2.5k kms)
and my FE was 10.59km/l

Not sure why I am clapping
superutp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2012, 10:36   #2584
BHPian
 
Mr.Beat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 308
Thanked: 106 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
Update on my FE
2.6k kms done.
95% city, 60% A.C and mostly heavy traffic conditions.
Also includes several high revving runs on the NICE road(celebration on completing 2.5k kms)
and my FE was 10.59km/l

Not sure why I am clapping
I think below 12 was expected with AC and heavy traffic. Plus high revving runs. Even i was confused why the clap.
Mr.Beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2012, 12:57   #2585
BHPian
 
superutp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 408
Thanked: 157 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
Even i was confused why the clap.
perhaps because I was relieved that I didnt get under 10!

I failed to mention in my previous post that the 10.59 is with a changed driving style. I rev the engine when I need/want to and stay sedate otherwise. In fact I have revved her till 4-4.5k several times owing to ridiculous traffic conditions. With my changed driving style now, the horrible low end torque affects me much less now and overall the Beat's engine is pretty zippy.

Based on this I feel this FE figure is pretty decent
superutp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2012, 20:30   #2586
Senior - BHPian
 
thoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kerala
Posts: 1,744
Thanked: 1,066 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
I failed to mention in my previous post that the 10.59 is with a changed driving style. I rev the engine when I need/want to and stay sedate otherwise. In fact I have revved her till 4-4.5k several times owing to ridiculous traffic conditions. With my changed driving style now, the horrible low end torque affects me much less now and overall the Beat's engine is pretty zippy.
So this proves that up-shifting at higher RPM does indeed lower the FE. There was a contrary suggestion from some members on the forum that, up-shifting at a bit higher RPM could be the issue for low FE on the Beat.
thoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2012, 20:39   #2587
BHPian
 
superutp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 408
Thanked: 157 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
So this proves that up-shifting at higher RPM does indeed lower the FE. There was a contrary suggestion from some members on the forum that, up-shifting at a bit higher RPM could be the issue for low FE on the Beat.
Correct. While I have driven only 2.6k kms on the Beat (lot less than most other Beat owning BHPians), I have varied my driving style quite a lot to see how the engine reacts.

The beat requires precision based() driving where you need to make sure you upshift no more than 2.5k and make sure to downshift aptly to avoid straining the engine (say something like1.5k).

However, to drive like that all the time in Bangalore traffic conditions is impossible for me and most people. But do this and you will most probably reap the benefits through good FE figures

Also, the A.C doesnt seem to make much difference in improving/reducing FE. I use it nowadays as a 'sport' button.

If the engine gives me 11km/l with my current driving style and in my current driving conditions, I am more than satisfied.
superutp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2012, 12:16   #2588
BHPian
 
superutp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 408
Thanked: 157 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

After a lot of mind straining I have decided to upgrade to wider tyres on my Beat. (175/65- R14)

This means I need to get rid of my current Vectras (155/70-R14 the stock ones).

Any ideas on how much I can expect for them if I sell them to a Tyre Dealer?
As suggested by Nikhil on the 'Chevy Beat Tyre Thread' it would be better to sell to individuals as in that way I can get a better deal, so is expecting around 6500 for 4 tyres which have run 2.7k kms overambitious?

For BHPians who have upgraded to wider tyres, how much of a drop in FE have you guys noticed?
superutp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2012, 01:47   #2589
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 303
Thanked: 191 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

^^You would be lucky to get even half of that mate. And as far as i know identifying individual buyers for used stock tyres would require lot of patience but even then it is a futile exercise in my opinion. This is exactly why, one is advised to change his tyres as soon as possible after delivery.
needforspeed88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2012, 20:21   #2590
BHPian
 
superutp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 408
Thanked: 157 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed88 View Post
This is exactly why, one is advised to change his tyres as soon as possible after delivery.
I know, unfortunately I missed the boat for that!!

Still in two minds on whether I should exchange my Vectras for peanuts!!
superutp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2012, 13:30   #2591
BHPian
 
Auto freak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 265
Thanked: 145 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
is expecting around 6500 for 4 tyres which have run 2.7k kms overambitious?

For BHPians who have upgraded to wider tyres, how much of a drop in FE have you guys noticed?
6500 for 4 tyres I guess will be a tough deal.
All i could manage was 600/tyre from the dealer for my 3000km run OE JK Vectras.

About the FE, I am not quite sure in terms of drop as my calculations in the first few thousand kms have never been reliable!
But post upgrade to 175/65 R14, i consistently get 16kmpl on highways and 13.5 in chennai city.
Auto freak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2012, 14:13   #2592
BHPian
 
superutp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 408
Thanked: 157 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto freak

6500 for 4 tyres I guess will be a tough deal.
All i could manage was 600/tyre from the dealer for my 3000km run OE JK Vectras.

About the FE, I am not quite sure in terms of drop as my calculations in the first few thousand kms have never been reliable!
But post upgrade to 175/65 R14, i consistently get 16kmpl on highways and 13.5 in chennai city.
True, 6500 has now become 5k for an ad I put up on the classifieds. In chennai I enquired with dealers and they said betwern 500-1000 based on inspection.

Considering mine have almost run 3k ill probably end up with the same as you got.

P:S: turns out I am not the only 'senseless fool' to exchange healthy rubber for peanuts for wider rubber!

Last edited by superutp : 9th April 2012 at 14:29.
superutp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2012, 15:42   #2593
BHPian
 
Auto freak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 265
Thanked: 145 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
P:S: turns out I am not the only 'senseless fool' to exchange healthy rubber for peanuts for wider rubber!
hahaa! True!
U aren't the only one and you aren't the biggest! :P
How about an itch to buy an alloy for the spare wheel as well?!

I got a single alloy from Chevy for the spare wheel for 2.5K
And yes! it runs (no stays in the boot) on wider rubber as well!
Auto freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2012, 15:45   #2594
BHPian
 
superutp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 408
Thanked: 157 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto freak View Post
hahaa! True!
U aren't the only one and you aren't the biggest! :P
How about an itch to buy an alloy for the spare wheel as well?!

I got a single alloy from Chevy for the spare wheel for 2.5K
And yes! it runs (no stays in the boot) on wider rubber as well!

So you bought 5 175's and 5 OEM chevy alloys? Fine Ill give you the 'biggest senseless fool' award!

Btw, I plan on keeping the spare as 155 itself. Shouldn't be a problem right?
superutp is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2012, 16:01   #2595
BHPian
 
Auto freak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 265
Thanked: 145 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
So you bought 5 175's and 5 OEM chevy alloys? Fine Ill give you the 'biggest senseless fool' award!

Btw, I plan on keeping the spare as 155 itself. Shouldn't be a problem right?
Hahaa! Thanks!

There would be some minor difference in the overall diameter. But that shouldn't be a problem as long as you keep the spare only for emergencies.

You can follow 4 wheel rotation.

PS: i just got reminded. Should get wheel rotation, balancing and alignment done! Its been over 8K km since it was done last
Auto freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chevrolet Beat TCDI Diesel : Test Drive & Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 693 30th December 2016 12:52


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:54.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks