Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2012, 19:54   #2686
BHPian
 
Auto freak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 265
Thanked: 145 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
35k!! Wow, you are now a pro-Beat's'ter! How much did the 35k service cost you?
It costed me 4.5K!
the oil change is not actually scheduled this service, but I choose to change it every 10k km. Last change was done at 25K, so got it done.

Even the spark plugs I guess are supposed to be changed at 30K.
But I wasn't aware of it and had ignored the 30k service thinking it to be not so critical as I had changed oil+filter and pollen filter at 25K.
(Blame the service interval!)

OT: The funny thing is, we have an Optra Magnum at home and even it has been scheduled service at every 5K interval!
How do they expect a diesel car that munches miles at a much faster rate to be available for service every few months?!

The fewer visits to the service centre, the happier the customer! Hope GM understands this at least with newer models.
Especially with competitors stretching it upto 15K

Last edited by Auto freak : 12th May 2012 at 20:03.
Auto freak is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2012, 18:21   #2687
BHPian
 
superutp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 408
Thanked: 157 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Went for a TBHP meet and hence got the perfect chance to calculate my highway FE.

140 kms, 120 highway, 20 city, FE 16.3kmpl

Of course I did drive around the 110-120 mark several times and did some high revving action in lower gears.

This goes to show that if driven carefully in the highway a FE of 18 is easily obtainable.

And oh btw, highway and high speed stability with 175's is amazing!! This included braking and handling as well. Never felt nervous on my Beat today.

Last edited by superutp : 13th May 2012 at 18:23.
superutp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2012, 19:37   #2688
BHPian
 
jeganatu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Madurai
Posts: 82
Thanked: 41 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp
Went for a TBHP meet and hence got the perfect chance to calculate my highway FE.

140 kms, 120 highway, 20 city, FE 16.3kmpl

Of course I did drive around the 110-120 mark several times and did some high revving action in lower gears.

This goes to show that if driven carefully in the highway a FE of 18 is easily obtainable.

And oh btw, highway and high speed stability with 175's is amazing!! This included braking and handling as well. Never felt nervous on my Beat today.
Can u show some lights on the methods n techniques followed during the test?
jeganatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2012, 20:58   #2689
BHPian
 
superutp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 408
Thanked: 157 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeganatu View Post
Can u show some lights on the methods n techniques followed during the test?
Do you mean with regards to how the FE was calculated?

If so, I had re-filled my tank yesterday till the autocut off at my normal filling station. Trip meter showed around 3 kms before I started today morning. Completed 140 kms and returned back to the same station and same fuel nozzle and filled till autocut off. 140kms, 8.59 ltrs gulped, 4 bars on my fuel indicator down.

With regards to driving style, it was majorily 5th gear with speeds between 60-120kmph for the highway part. Did some quick accelerations from 1st through 5th till I reached a steady pace of around 80.

Majority of the highway journey was driven at around 90-100 kmph in 5th gear, RPM at around 2500 to 3200. On entering Bangalore I maintained the speed limit of 80kmph.
superutp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 20:00   #2690
BHPian
 
ariendj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 503
Thanked: 79 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

planning for a ECU remapping via RaceDynamics in a week.

seems the sluggish 2nd gear isn't much different after the SVC re-map
ariendj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 15:11   #2691
BHPian
 
white-rabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 282
Thanked: 35 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
Went for a TBHP meet and hence got the perfect chance to calculate my highway FE.

And oh btw, highway and high speed stability with 175's is amazing!! This included braking and handling as well. Never felt nervous on my Beat today.
Where did the meet happen?Who all came along?
And you touched 175?Then you crossed my record.I touched 160 and had posted the images.Mods deleted it,ofcourse .I felt like It will not cross 165.But I was amazed with the stability.
white-rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 15:14   #2692
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,030
Thanked: 1,374 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

I believe by 175 he is talking about the tire specs and not the speed
ani_meher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 16:28   #2693
BHPian
 
superutp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 408
Thanked: 157 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by white-rabbit View Post
Where did the meet happen?Who all came along?
And you touched 175?Then you crossed my record.I touched 160 and had posted the images.Mods deleted it,ofcourse .I felt like It will not cross 165.But I was amazed with the stability.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
I believe by 175 he is talking about the tire specs and not the speed
Dear Lord! Its the tyre size as ani_meher said and not the speed!!

white-rabbit you are running stock tyres right?

BTW, what is supposed to be the top speed of the Beat?
superutp is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 17:34   #2694
BHPian
 
white-rabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 282
Thanked: 35 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
Dear Lord! Its the tyre size as ani_meher said and not the speed!!

white-rabbit you are running stock tyres right?

BTW, what is supposed to be the top speed of the Beat?
My Bad

I dont know,but once I touched 160.I didnt hold her up for much time.First thing, Adrinaline levels pumped up much by the time I touched 160.I can tell you she will go upto 160 with out much strain and remains stable.I am telling it from my experiance.

Mine is stock tyres,which I ended up in bursting during my first trip.

I bought a new stock tyre after that.Still running with stocks.

Drive safe!!
white-rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2012, 07:59   #2695
BHPian
 
superutp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 408
Thanked: 157 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by white-rabbit View Post
My Bad

I dont know,but once I touched 160.I didnt hold her up for much time.First thing, Adrinaline levels pumped up much by the time I touched 160.I can tell you she will go upto 160 with out much strain and remains stable.I am telling it from my experiance.

Mine is stock tyres,which I ended up in bursting during my first trip.

I bought a new stock tyre after that.Still running with stocks.

Drive safe!!
Rather not try out the top speed of the Beat, 120 is where she cruises perfectly if the road allows it.

How are your tyres holding up? How many kms have you driven by now?

_________

A point of observation while driving in the rain. While both the front and rear defogger system worked fine, I noticed that the outside of the front windscreen (closer to the bonnet) started fogging up. Only if I switched on the wipers then the fog would be wiped off otherwise it would increase.

Is this normal?
superutp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2012, 09:36   #2696
Senior - BHPian
 
thoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kerala
Posts: 1,744
Thanked: 1,066 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
I noticed that the outside of the front windscreen (closer to the bonnet) started fogging up. Only if I switched on the wipers then the fog would be wiped off otherwise it would increase.

Is this normal?
I think yes. It occurs when the temperature is different between the outside and inside (at the windshield) and when the outside is humid. I have experienced this many times during the rainy season on different cars. The idea is to bring the cabin A/C temperature level closer to what is outside and direct the flow of air away from the windshield at the earliest. When we switch on the front defogger, it is not necessary to blow hot air on to the windshield.
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2012, 11:46   #2697
Newbie
 
vkrmchauhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 7
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Hi

I gave my Beat LS petrol for 1st free service today. I bought the car in November 2011. After talking to the service consultant at Kalyan Nagar, Bangalore showroom I wanted you guys' opinion on the following

1. The service consultant advised to replace the AC filter (accessed via glove box) as it was full of dirt and was affecting air flow. Does this filter need frequent replacement? Won't regular cleaning be effective?

2. I have asked them to install fog lamps on my car. The price quoted to me is 8k. Is it worth it?

Regards
Vikram
vkrmchauhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2012, 12:57   #2698
BHPian
 
mi2n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 377
Thanked: 631 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrmchauhan View Post
Hi

I gave my Beat LS petrol for 1st free service today. I bought the car in November 2011. After talking to the service consultant at Kalyan Nagar, Bangalore showroom I wanted you guys' opinion on the following

1. The service consultant advised to replace the AC filter (accessed via glove box) as it was full of dirt and was affecting air flow. Does this filter need frequent replacement? Won't regular cleaning be effective?

2. I have asked them to install fog lamps on my car. The price quoted to me is 8k. Is it worth it?

Regards
Vikram
1. For the AC cabin filter, one cannot exactly say without verifying the condition. However, my first cabin filter change happened at 20k + (14 months) on the ODO after driving on dusty and gritty Kolkata roads with the AC in operation. But i used to do a DIY cleaning job on the filter every week/month, so maybe that's why it lasted. Do check the user manual as to the schedule for cabin filter change.

2. Regarding the fog lamps, well the OEM ones are very effective, but it does not call for the 8k tag quoted. Are they going to change the light stalks as well? Or add a separate switch somewhere? Aftermarket ones are available for Rs.500 by the way and even the cheapest ones will provide half the luminosity of the OEM part.
mi2n is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2012, 13:08   #2699
Senior - BHPian
 
thoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kerala
Posts: 1,744
Thanked: 1,066 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
A point of observation while driving in the rain
I have miscued the last sentence in my last post regarding not to blow hot air. Hot air at high fan speed works as an immediate relief, but what I wanted to mean was to maintain a steady temperature instead of a sudden change, else the cabin will become uneasy and foggy on the inside soon. Next time, when about to rain, just increase the cabin temperature a bit, if the cabin was too cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrmchauhan View Post
1. The service consultant advised to replace the AC filter (accessed via glove box) as it was full of dirt and was affecting air flow. Does this filter need frequent replacement? Won't regular cleaning be effective?

2. I have asked them to install fog lamps on my car. The price quoted to me is 8k. Is it worth it?
The pollen filter can be cleaned and reused, unless it is broken or damaged by cleaning it with water or other fluid. Especially when it is only 6 months. Regular cleaning of the pollen filter is recommended in extreme conditions. Even the service manual has instructions for a DIY. I think it costs around 500/-

Yes, the stock fog lamps are that costly. An after market cheap fog lamp will cost you around 1k or even less, but beware of any warranty issues and the effectiveness of the lamp.
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2012, 14:10   #2700
BHPian
 
superutp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 408
Thanked: 157 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
I have miscued the last sentence in my last post regarding not to blow hot air. Hot air at high fan speed works as an immediate relief, but what I wanted to mean was to maintain a steady temperature instead of a sudden change, else the cabin will become uneasy and foggy on the inside soon. Next time, when about to rain, just increase the cabin temperature a bit, if the cabin was too cold.
Yup I understood what you meant. By standard the defogger switches on at the temperature you have set it at. So in my case it was at the ' Lo' setting. After the outer windshield starting fogging up I tried increasing the temperature but wasn't able to find a permanent solution to it apart from using the wiper to remove the fog.

Probably need to figure it out based on trial and error.

______

BTW, I have always been using my AC at the 'Lo' setting as a result of which the load on the engine was considerable and switching off the AC resulted in an almost turbo like effect to the performance.
Today morning I decided to run the AC on 21C and the load has definitely reduced a lot. Just an observation. Hopefully my FE improves as well.
superutp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chevrolet Beat TCDI Diesel : Test Drive & Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 693 30th December 2016 12:52


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:18.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks