Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2015, 12:38   #3541
BHPian
 
red.devil_19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 49
Thanked: 70 Times
Exclamation Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Hi All,

Need some quick help!!

Gave my Beat Petrol PS for servicing today (5th Service). The car is 2.5 years old & has run about 25,200 KMs.

Off late I have been hearing a shrill metallic shrill / squeaking noise during cold starts when I turn the steering to the extreme left or right. It is more prominent with the AC on. I mentioned this to the Service Advisor. He checked for the noise & said it's the drive belt. I assume this the AC Alternator Belt he's referring to?

Just want to know if this is a usual thing for a car as old as mine & done as many kilometers as I have? What is the cost of replacement? I don't think it is covered under warranty.

Another thing is the service advisor was recommending that I must get the Engine Lacquering (Cost Quoted: Rs. 913/-) done. I did do a quick search on team-bhp & asked him not to do it based on the views posted here. Just want to confirm whether it is necessary to do Lacquering or is it just an eye-wash?

Lastly, want to update that the service intervals have now been increased to 10,000 KMs or Yearly once! I wonder how GM decides this? At the time of purchasing it was 5,000 KMs, in between it was increased to 7,500 KMs & now 10,000 KMs!!

Thanks!

Last edited by red.devil_19 : 16th May 2015 at 12:41.
red.devil_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2015, 22:03   #3542
Senior - BHPian
 
myavu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi - Kochi
Posts: 1,054
Thanked: 509 Times
Arrow 10th service of my Beat!

So, it's five long years (but feels like yesterday) back this day our little Beaty came home.

Her ODO stands at 38716 KMs.

This time I gave her for the 10th service little bit earlier (i.e on 03-05-2015).

There was nothing much to complain sans one of the horn was working intermittently.

My usual SA Mr.Somnath was on leave for few weeks and I preferred their head SA Mr. Amit Tiwari.

I reached their by 9.00AM and got the car Back at 12.00PM.

Total damage Rs.2062 along with big dent/scar on the real bumper, big dent on the rear tailgate lower edge and a big scar on front bumper.

I identified the same when the car was on lift for washing and Mr. Amit agreed to the damage and assured necessary action.

I felt something was fishy when I saw the car through the customer launch while they were working on the horn. While the front bumper left side was removed to access horn everyone passing by was pointing to rear bumper and Mr. Amit himself was opening and closing the rear hatch as if he was checking it was closing properly.

With an eagle eye (which normally picks the minutest hairline scratch) it was easy to access the damage. Mr. Amit requested to leave my car behind but due to busy schedule I told him that I will bring the car sometimes later during the weekday. So I gave them the car on Thursday and got it back on Sunday. 100% satisfied with the work they had done and kudos to Mr. Amit and GM Metro Chevrolet.

But still sceptical about how these mechanics and engineers drive our car inside the service centre.

Attaching the service invoice

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-beat-bill.jpg

As promised by BK Tyres, got free balancing and rotation on 18th April. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3559119 (Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review)

Cheers!

Vinu
myavu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2015, 23:27   #3543
BHPian
 
salbin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore, Kochi
Posts: 495
Thanked: 162 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by red.devil_19 View Post
Hi All,
Need some quick help!!
Gave my Beat Petrol PS for servicing today (5th Service). The car is 2.5 years old & has run about 25,200 KMs.
Off late I have been hearing a shrill metallic shrill / squeaking noise during cold starts when I turn the steering to the extreme left or right. It is more prominent with the AC on. I mentioned this to the Service Advisor. He checked for the noise & said it's the drive belt. I assume this the AC Alternator Belt he's referring to?
Just want to know if this is a usual thing for a car as old as mine & done as many kilometers as I have? What is the cost of replacement? I don't think it is covered under warranty.
Thanks!
If it is belt noise, you can try any of the below mentioned methods:

1. Soap bar method - most cost effective solution - see this video for details -

(do it only with engine off condition)

2. WD 40 spray - not a scientific solution, still nothing wrong in trying in old belt suggested for replacement by service adviser. I have used it in my Santro earlier and it worked.

3. Belt dresser / conditioner spray - a costly solution, but slightly cheaper than belt replacement..
http://www.tolexo.com/abro-belt-dres...er-bd-100.html

http://www.flipkart.com/abro-21140-b...er=from-search

4. Replace the belt itself - you can get it done through Chevy service center or purchase one online and replace it yourself or with the help of a local mechanic.
Now most of the Chevy spare parts are available in Amazon
http://www.amazon.in/Contitech-4K096...olet+beat+belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by red.devil_19 View Post
Another thing is the service advisor was recommending that I must get the Engine Lacquering (Cost Quoted: Rs. 913/-) done. I did do a quick search on team-bhp & asked him not to do it based on the views posted here. Just want to confirm whether it is necessary to do Lacquering or is it just an eye-wash?
Thanks!
Do it only if you want to keep it as a show piece.
There is no advantage for the engine other than the "feel good" factor you get when you open the bonnet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red.devil_19 View Post
Lastly, want to update that the service intervals have now been increased to 10,000 KMs or Yearly once! I wonder how GM decides this? At the time of purchasing it was 5,000 KMs, in between it was increased to 7,500 KMs & now 10,000 KMs!!
Thanks!
I was maintaining service interval of 15K+ kms with few DIY steps like cleaning of filters and WD40 spray at the suspension parts / moving joints.
No issues faced so far.
salbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2015, 07:54   #3544
BHPian
 
red.devil_19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 49
Thanked: 70 Times
Post Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
If it is belt noise, you can try any of the below mentioned methods:

1. Soap bar method - most cost effective solution - see this video for details -
(do it only with engine off condition)

2. WD 40 spray - not a scientific solution, still nothing wrong in trying in old belt suggested for replacement by service adviser. I have used it in my Santro earlier and it worked.

3. Belt dresser / conditioner spray - a costly solution, but slightly cheaper than belt replacement..
http://www.tolexo.com/abro-belt-dres...er-bd-100.html

http://www.flipkart.com/abro-21140-b...er=from-search

4. Replace the belt itself - you can get it done through Chevy service center or purchase one online and replace it yourself or with the help of a local mechanic.
Now most of the Chevy spare parts are available in Amazon
http://www.amazon.in/Contitech-4K096...olet+beat+belt


Do it only if you want to keep it as a show piece.
There is no advantage for the engine other than the "feel good" factor you get when you open the bonnet.


I was maintaining service interval of 15K+ kms with few DIY steps like cleaning of filters and WD40 spray at the suspension parts / moving joints.
No issues faced so far.
Thanks a lot for that info salbin! The service guys just cleaned / oiled the belt or something. Didn't have to replace anything. The noise seems to have died down now.

There was a whistling noise coming from the AC Blower. The AC Vent cleaning has sorted that out as well.

However, there seems to be a drumming noise from the left wheel while going over rough roads. Its been there for quite some time. I did have the caliper pin replaced once & the noise had subsided. But it has cropped up again. The service center oiled it this time. It hasn't helped much though.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 19th May 2015 at 11:41. Reason: Youtube URL removed from quoted post. Thanks!
red.devil_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2015, 11:37   #3545
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mysore/Dharwad
Posts: 92
Thanked: 111 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

My Beat petrol is going for servicing tomorrow
(3.5 yrs 14,xxx kms)
I had missed the 3 yrs service as vehicle had run ~ 1500 kms only since last service

Now the service-manual recomends,
  • oil & oil flter change ( will get it done as it was last changed 1.5 yrs back)
  • Brake fluid change at 2 yrs/20000 kms(will get it done as it is >1.5 yrs since last change)
  • spark plug change (Do i need this?? thinking of skipping)
  • Fuel filter change at 3 yrs/30000 kms ( do i need to do this??)

Can anyone please guide me regarding this

Anything else i need to get it done other than this?

Any potential traps to avoid other than regular flush/additive/AC cleaning??

Wheel alignment & balancing will get it done from a tyre shop later

P.S. What about transmission fluid? No mention in manual

Last edited by i_see : 19th May 2015 at 11:41. Reason: typo
i_see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2015, 15:26   #3546
BHPian
 
adg_andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 431
Thanked: 158 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Hi Guys,

One of my horns has gone kaput and I am thinking of replacing them with this:

http://www.amazon.in/Hella-Trumpet-S...ella+twin+horn

Does this fit in a Beat?
adg_andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2015, 22:53   #3547
BHPian
 
adg_andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 431
Thanked: 158 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Flipkart is selling HID s for beat at Rs 3255. Thinking about whether to take the plunge or not
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-screenshot_20150605225056.png  

adg_andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2015, 10:06   #3548
BHPian
 
salbin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore, Kochi
Posts: 495
Thanked: 162 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
Flipkart is selling HID s for beat at Rs 3255. Thinking about whether to take the plunge or not
Using HID without projector set-up is not at all suggested, since the spread light beam from HID will blind the oncoming drivers.
If you use a projector, you will get a good low beam cut-off line.
salbin is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 14:59   #3549
BHPian
 
adg_andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 431
Thanked: 158 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Okay- Further visual upgrades on my Beat. Some have already been done yesterday, remaining to be completed tonight. Keep watching this space
adg_andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2015, 18:32   #3550
BHPian
 
adg_andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 431
Thanked: 158 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Here are the updates:

1. The DRLs have been replaced
2. The parking light is now LED (changed that a month ago)
3. The working LED from my first DRLs have been moved to the boot. It was earlier connected to the rear parking lamps. Now it has been connected to the interior dome light. Thus, I does not remain on always during night time.
4. The horns have been replaced with Roots Windtone ones (skoda type)
5. The fog lamps have been changed , as one was broken.
6. There was some jarring noise from the music player. A nut was changed. So it is silent now

Additionally, the lights , as well as the 12V supply are flickering when the engine is on(not on battery though), which leads me to think that something is wrong with the dynamo. Any suggestions?

Now for some pics. Apologies for the picture quality- they were taken through mobile camera
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-img_20150612_175628.jpg  

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-img_20150612_175645.jpg  

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-img_20150612_175709.jpg  


Last edited by adg_andy : 12th June 2015 at 18:41.
adg_andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2015, 11:29   #3551
BHPian
 
adg_andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 431
Thanked: 158 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

I have a general query. I am actually de-constructing my case for better analysis.
1. The lights in my car flicker when the ignition is on. However , it is all right, when on battery.
2. Whenever I charge my mobile through the car mobile charger, the charge goes on and off , as if there is a short circuit.
3. The lights DIM significantly when I use the blower on higher setting or I use the window switches.
4. My car A/C does not cool efficiently unless on higher rpms.

Could the root cause be a faulty dynamo/alternator? I had the battery checked at Bay6 and they said that it is fine and does not need changing. Salbin?
adg_andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2015, 12:03   #3552
Senior - BHPian
 
myavu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi - Kochi
Posts: 1,054
Thanked: 509 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

@adg_andy 99% it could be a faulty alternator or some loose wiring from the same.

Please check it asap. Else it will eat out your battery and other electrical/electronics components.

Cheers!

Vinu
myavu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2015, 12:09   #3553
Senior - BHPian
 
Soumyajit9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: 10010
Posts: 1,502
Thanked: 1,639 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
I have a general query. I am actually de-constructing my case for better analysis.
1. The lights in my car flicker when the ignition is on. However , it is all right, when on battery.
2. Whenever I charge my mobile through the car mobile charger, the charge goes on and off , as if there is a short circuit.
3. The lights DIM significantly when I use the blower on higher setting or I use the window switches.
4. My car A/C does not cool efficiently unless on higher rpms.

Could the root cause be a faulty dynamo/alternator? I had the battery checked at Bay6 and they said that it is fine and does not need changing. Salbin?
I had 100 % same symptoms and my battery gave away in the middle of Mysore highway.

Had to buy a new battery. The existing one is dead to the point where nothing can be done. I am sure your alternator is fine. Just that the battery is not holding up any charge or simple, not charging fully.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2015, 09:21   #3554
BHPian
 
salbin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore, Kochi
Posts: 495
Thanked: 162 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
I have a general query. I am actually de-constructing my case for better analysis.
1. The lights in my car flicker when the ignition is on. However , it is all right, when on battery.
2. Whenever I charge my mobile through the car mobile charger, the charge goes on and off , as if there is a short circuit.
3. The lights DIM significantly when I use the blower on higher setting or I use the window switches.
4. My car A/C does not cool efficiently unless on higher rpms.

Could the root cause be a faulty dynamo/alternator? I had the battery checked at Bay6 and they said that it is fine and does not need changing. Salbin?
Do you have a multimeter?
If available, please check the battery terminal voltage when engine off as well as on condition.

If the alternator is not at all working, then by this time your battery will be drained. Since you are getting flickering voltage, there will be some loose connection.
In any case, the Chevy, Service will tell you to replace. (now a days all OEM service will do the same).
Otherwise, take the car to a good auto electrical work shop to check possibility of repair.
salbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2015, 18:02   #3555
BHPian
 
adg_andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 431
Thanked: 158 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
Do you have a multimeter?
If available, please check the battery terminal voltage when engine off as well as on condition.

If the alternator is not at all working, then by this time your battery will be drained. Since you are getting flickering voltage, there will be some loose connection.
In any case, the Chevy, Service will tell you to replace. (now a days all OEM service will do the same).
Otherwise, take the car to a good auto electrical work shop to check possibility of repair.
Update: Got both the battery and alternator checked.
Alternator: It was checked by disconnecting the battery while the car was running and then I was asked to press the accelerator multiple times. Report : Alternator OK.
Battery: Got my battery checked at a local amaron center. The guy said that battery is giving slightly more voltage(it might be some issue with a coil inside battery) but nothing to worry about. He suggested that I go to a car electrical specialist nearby.
The specialist did not even test anything. He just asked me to switch on the DRLs. On seeing the flicker, he said that most probably the rats have chewed through some wires and this is due to loose connection / short circuit somewhere
Are you in concurrence?
Now comes the interesting part:
I had read that Chevy was recalling beats by end of 2014 for some fuel pipe issue, and hence I have to visit Kropex for that. However, I was happy with the Bay6 guys in Hosa road. Where do I do my checkup and service: Kropex or Bay6
adg_andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chevrolet Beat TCDI Diesel : Test Drive & Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 693 30th December 2016 12:52


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:26.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks