Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2010, 18:21   #811
BHPian
 
vprodigy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 113
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

@ RJ Vora....i think i'll have to pay 100 % of the glue and beading cost and labor charges and if its 50% still better. I wish no one goes through this pain :( and especially do not park your vehicle in a no parking zone cause if it gets towed away then you'll regret doing that. The bumper looses its shape and mine also cracked from the middle although not noticeable but it has cracked.
vprodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 09:40   #812
BHPian
 
Mafia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: BLR MCT
Posts: 411
Thanked: 39 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vprodigy View Post
@ everyone
There is a crack developing on my windshield from the base of it on the co driver side....i do not remember anything hitting the car. I parked the car yesterday night and today morning i saw the crack. Can anyone please suggest what could be the reason for the crack in the front windshield???

did you manage find the reason the windshield cracked? It is worrying. Most likely an impact has caused it
Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 09:53   #813
BHPian
 
Mafia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: BLR MCT
Posts: 411
Thanked: 39 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vprodigy View Post
Thanks Vihang,

I suspect it could be a stone hitting the car, I will check with WE today or tomorrow and see if I can get it repaired or replaced. I will claim it from insurance since glass cost is 100% covered.
I feel so bad and day before my car got towed away from a no parking zone and those guys literally crushed my bumper but then it was my fault :(.
Ouch! That is terrible! The guys who tow the cars need to be held liable!

I wonder how well the car can be patched up again. The panel gaps are very small and any body work will show IMO.
Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 09:54   #814
BHPian
 
vprodigy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 113
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

@ Mafia....i haven't been able to find a cause and I checked with my nephew the stone did not hit the windshield that day....It could be because of the impact or even due to the stress on the glass while my car was being towed away as they lift the car from the front.
vprodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 13:11   #815
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 22
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

@ vprodigy ... Sad to hear about the windshield.

My beat was hit today morning by an oncoming honda city trying to overtake a car, with dark black tints and a red beacon on top(Local politician's car). He was driving at almost 100, i managed to swerve it left at the right time and the honda hit my right ORVM. Instantly dislodging the mirror from the housing. My window was open and the mirror flew inside, hit my face. I did not suffer any major injuries just a bruise on right side of the chin.

But two things:

1. The mirror was smashed, but it stayed in the mirror casing and little shards of glass did not fly around or else they would have made a picasso masterpiece out of my face. Cheers to GM for carefully designing it.

2. There is a big black mark on ORVM. (trading paint) I scratched it with my nails and it's coming off, so basically his plastic got rubbed off on mine but my paint is intact. It maybe becuase of my speed being 15 and his being 100.

By the time I came out of shock and got out,he was out of sight. Happy to be alive.

Last edited by deeptrip : 7th May 2010 at 13:21. Reason: It wouldn't make anyone feel better about even a minor accident. Wrong language i suppose.
deeptrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 13:36   #816
BHPian
 
vprodigy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 113
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

@deeptrip
that is very sad to hear and good that you did not suffer any injuries. drive safe always. The paint quality on Beat is really great and I have felt this so many times when my car rubbed against unknown objects including iron railings and to my disbelief the color of the railing was spread on my car which I removed after properly washing that area but the car's color under the railings color was super intact.
vprodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 13:44   #817
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: mumbai
Posts: 61
Thanked: 0 Times
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeptrip View Post
@ vprodigy ... Sad to hear about the windshield.

My beat was hit today morning by an oncoming honda city trying to overtake a car, with dark black tints and a red beacon on top(Local politician's car). He was driving at almost 100, i managed to swerve it left at the right time and the honda hit my right ORVM. .

hi deeptrip ,

buddy take care and drive safe , good to see your presence of mind in swerving the vehicle rather than applying brakes . that proves that brakes should not be hit all time in emergencies .

and we should always find the a way to least damage in such situations .

BTW - which version beat you have , is it with ABS .
vihang15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 14:01   #818
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: mumbai
Posts: 61
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

hi friends ,

with ac on and 4 people travelling with some luggage , i was driving the beat on a 30-35 degree incline in 2nd -3rd gear . the beat was little sluggish in performance , normally i dont encounter the same but with people in the back seat the pick up was not up to the mark .

has anyone encountered the same . do we downshift or upshift the beat if we find performance lag on a incline . is it related to driving style or is it related to the performance tuning of the vehicle . please answer my query on the same .
vihang15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 14:25   #819
BHPian
 
MAX Overdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 29
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vprodigy View Post
@ everyone
There is a crack developing on my windshield from the base of it on the co driver side....i do not remember anything hitting the car. I parked the car yesterday night and today morning i saw the crack. Can anyone please suggest what could be the reason for the crack in the front windshield???
I've heard cases where people parked their car in direct sunlight, and when they come back and suddenly turn on the AC to fully chill, that builds cracks on the windshield or even break the window glass. Also if you are about to park the car in the sunlight and the AC is chilling inside, do not leave the car instantly upon stopping, let some outside air pass by, or shut down the AC 5 min prior to parking.
This applies only if you are parking the car in direct sunlight. Due to the latest technology in glass manufacturing and good quality glass usage, this could be a remote case, but still can't rule out the possibility.
MAX Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 15:09   #820
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 22
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

@ vihang15
Right said bud. I have an LT model. It doesn't have ABS.

For driving on an incline with good load, I would say downshift to second and rev upto 2500 rpm. But again depending on the speed with which you enter the incline, it may vary. I have felt a bit of underperformance on inclines too, even without the rear seat passengers. IMO It is mostly the engine.
deeptrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 15:26   #821
BHPian
 
Mafia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: BLR MCT
Posts: 411
Thanked: 39 Times
Default

@deeptrip: Dude! you are truly lucky to be alive! virtually un scathed!

I agree about the paint quality! an auto happend to bump my car in the side at low speed.. i rubbea cloth over the spot and the paint and dirt from the auto just rubbed away!
Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 16:13   #822
BHPian
 
alstonlobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 473
Thanked: 96 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX Overdrive View Post
I've heard cases where people parked their car in direct sunlight, and when they come back and suddenly turn on the AC to fully chill, that builds cracks on the windshield or even break the window glass. Also if you are about to park the car in the sunlight and the AC is chilling inside, do not leave the car instantly upon stopping, let some outside air pass by, or shut down the AC 5 min prior to parking.
This applies only if you are parking the car in direct sunlight. Due to the latest technology in glass manufacturing and good quality glass usage, this could be a remote case, but still can't rule out the possibility.
Well the best way to encounter such problems is to use a windscreen shade. I use one that I got free from Dubai. This helps in keeping the interiors cool and also saves the dashboard from fading and heating too.

The windscreen shades are easily foldable and quick and easy to install just before getting down from the car after parking it.

Checkout my thread for pics...

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...et-beat-6.html (Review: My new Chevrolet Beat)
alstonlobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 17:18   #823
BHPian
 
vprodigy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 113
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

@everyone
while coming back from office the moment i turned on the car the engine started breathing heavy and the car was shaking like the old deisel engines and when i pressed the accelerator it felt as if its loosing breath. Has anyone experienced anything like this in Beat. I turned of the engine and restarted it and it was normal. But i dont think this is normal as i could feel the car shaking left right.
vprodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 20:01   #824
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 538
Thanked: 59 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyf16 View Post
Actually it does say 91 RON in the manual. Its listed towards the end near the specifications page. I don't have the manual with me so I can't give you the page number. I actually mentioned this back in february when I first got the car. Its kinda the reason I switched over to premium petrol.
many thanks for the clarification bbyf16. i was a bit taken aback when i first read that post by fellow member vihang. i have obviously missed that earlier post of yours.

I am a bit surprised by people not reacting to your confirmation on the matter. Or is everyone aware of this and is therefore using Premium fuels ??

Because the consistent complaints of poor pickup could be related to using standard fuel which does not meet the required octane rating, is it not ?

Additionally, the knocking that is supposed to be the result of using lower than the reqd. octane rating in the fuel, can over a period of time cause considerable damage also to the engine, is it not ??

My interest in the matter is because i need to help my cousin in the car choice process, and i think this happens to be an important point.

thx again.
hell_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 21:48   #825
Senior - BHPian
 
oxyzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Not fixed.
Posts: 1,026
Thanked: 263 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_rider View Post
many thanks for the clarification bbyf16. i was a bit taken aback when i first read that post by fellow member vihang. i have obviously missed that earlier post of yours.

I am a bit surprised by people not reacting to your confirmation on the matter. Or is everyone aware of this and is therefore using Premium fuels ??

Because the consistent complaints of poor pickup could be related to using standard fuel which does not meet the required octane rating, is it not ?

Additionally, the knocking that is supposed to be the result of using lower than the reqd. octane rating in the fuel, can over a period of time cause considerable damage also to the engine, is it not ??

My interest in the matter is because i need to help my cousin in the car choice process, and i think this happens to be an important point.

thx again.
Dont worry about knock. There is a knock sensor in engine and if there is knocking ECU can retard ignition timing to reduce knock. However this is a BS4 compliant vehicle. So you need to run it with BS4 fuel or else you wont get optimum performance.
This stands corrected for all BS4 vehicle and not only beat. I also have serious doubts whether premium fuels have higher octane ratings. What I have heard that all they do is bully the customers. But what else can be done as BS4 fuel is not available till date, only choice is to stick to premium although that is useless.

Last edited by oxyzen : 7th May 2010 at 21:49.
oxyzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chevrolet Beat TCDI Diesel : Test Drive & Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 693 30th December 2016 12:52


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:32.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks