Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2010, 18:22   #1231
Senior - BHPian
 
myavu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi - Kochi
Posts: 1,019
Thanked: 468 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
Thankyou Vinu for the update. Got Iced?
Welcome Sir! Mine is LT so no ICE upgrade as of now. I am satisfied by the quality. Also using high bitrate ripped songs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadmaniac View Post
@myavu, would appreciate pics of the new seats!
Very busy these days. I will upload it by weekend.

Cheers!

Vinu
myavu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2010, 09:46   #1232
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 14
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Hi guys

Glad to be back. I was out of touch owing to hectic business travel. This also means my Beat was idle all this while and the Odometer showed me 610 kms. Got the first check-up done. At the petrol pump, the guy filling air in the tyres tells me not to fill to 32psi in Mumbai monsoon as the tires expand in humidity. He filled in to 30psi only. I found this logic a bit absurd. Is it true? Comments.....
webadi27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2010, 18:43   #1233
Senior - BHPian
 
oxyzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Not fixed.
Posts: 1,026
Thanked: 263 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by webadi27 View Post
Hi guys

Glad to be back. I was out of touch owing to hectic business travel. This also means my Beat was idle all this while and the Odometer showed me 610 kms. Got the first check-up done. At the petrol pump, the guy filling air in the tyres tells me not to fill to 32psi in Mumbai monsoon as the tires expand in humidity. He filled in to 30psi only. I found this logic a bit absurd. Is it true? Comments.....
I am not sure if humidity has anything to do with tyre pressure. But since it is monsoon and the streets are wet, it is not a bad option to keep 1/2 psi less and make sure there is enough traction. If off course you want a compromise on fuel effeciency.
oxyzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2010, 11:08   #1234
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 14
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
I am not sure if humidity has anything to do with tyre pressure. But since it is monsoon and the streets are wet, it is not a bad option to keep 1/2 psi less and make sure there is enough traction. If off course you want a compromise on fuel effeciency.
Thanks Oxyzen. I would vote for traction. In any case I dont expect to get any mileage till 2000 kms atleast. The car is starting to rev a bit freely now, especially notable in the 2nd gear. Am still maintaining a mental ceiling of 2K rpm max. In the first gear though, I sometimes end up in the 2.5-3K where I can't help. Is it gonna affect the engine?
webadi27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2010, 14:10   #1235
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: mumbai
Posts: 61
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by webadi27 View Post
Hi guys

Glad to be back. I was out of touch owing to hectic business travel. This also means my Beat was idle all this while and the Odometer showed me 610 kms. Got the first check-up done. At the petrol pump, the guy filling air in the tyres tells me not to fill to 32psi in Mumbai monsoon as the tires expand in humidity. He filled in to 30psi only. I found this logic a bit absurd. Is it true? Comments.....

i think the air inside the tyre expands and not the other way round , the petrol pump guy needs some physics lessons

IMO the air inside the tyres would tend to expand only in high temperatures beyond 35 degrees , and in monsoon in mumbai we have in the range of 22-30 max . hence air expansion should not be problem .

also it is safe to stick the manufacturer specification as we are end users and not car R&D personnels . the 32 PSI figure must have arrived after lots of testing from the GM guys. so we dont have to worry of the same .

IMO dont worry for such small things , just enjoy your baby beat in the cool monsoon weather of mumbai .

BTW - I took my beat to a long drive karnala bird sanctuary , it was fun . posting some pics .
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-htcjuly2010-064.jpg  

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-htcjuly2010-065.jpg  

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-htcjuly2010-063.jpg  

vihang15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2010, 21:01   #1236
Senior - BHPian
 
oxyzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Not fixed.
Posts: 1,026
Thanked: 263 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by webadi27 View Post
Thanks Oxyzen. I would vote for traction. In any case I dont expect to get any mileage till 2000 kms atleast. The car is starting to rev a bit freely now, especially notable in the 2nd gear. Am still maintaining a mental ceiling of 2K rpm max. In the first gear though, I sometimes end up in the 2.5-3K where I can't help. Is it gonna affect the engine?
2.5K is ok. even 3K is not going to kill your engine. Just make sure that you dont drive continuously in that 3.5K.
One other important factor is load. Try to run with minimal tap on the throttle.(accelerate slowly) Trust me it is more important than RPM.

In previous posts informaha mentioned he didnt bother about Running in. He is not totally wrong. You cant convert your beat into a BMW by proper running in. But it is the only thing you have in your control. Pays off in long run.

Last edited by oxyzen : 24th July 2010 at 21:11.
oxyzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2010, 21:08   #1237
Senior - BHPian
 
oxyzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Not fixed.
Posts: 1,026
Thanked: 263 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by informmaha View Post
Touched 140KPH max ( everyone adviced me not to go beyond 80-90, but i have personally seen a new Zen of my friends with 120KPH when ECR was new and it didnt have any problems in mileage for 5 years, so had that in mind and tested mine).
Regards,
Rajan
I own a ZEN as well. One of my neighbours bought one at the same time with me.
My car had a very proper running in. (DAD DRIVEN) We got 15. He got 13.5 in the same city drive. Proper running in & maintainance is the key.
oxyzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 12:55   #1238
BHPian
 
Topolino's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Udaipur
Posts: 243
Thanked: 59 Times
Default

In Udaipur GM Dealer organized a service camp on 23rd & 24th July in which they remapped ECUs of all the Beats sold here. I also attended the camp and when I refused for remapping, the Service Engineer told me that the GM has issued a circular and made it mandatory to remap the ECUs of all Beats sold till date. He also told me that the new Beats are coming with same remapped ECUs. Before going for remapping I test drove another Beat with remapped ECU to check the difference. The difference was noticeable so I opted for ECU remapping. The process is very simple. The ECU connector which is located on the underside of the dashboard (RHS) is connected through an adaptor to the Laptop and remapping is done online through the software of GM Global Connect. After remapping pick-up has improved a lot through all the gears and rpm range. The engine has become rev friendly and didnít feel strained even after 4500 rpm and touches 5500 rpm quite swiftly. I took the car for a 40 km drive on village, city and steep hilly roads and drove the car quite briskly (rather abused the car). On steep uphill engine responded very nicely and no lag was felt. There were many sharp turns and from almost dead stops car picked up adequately. I managed to get 10.13 kmpl without AC. I feel that the fuel efficiency has gone down although I have no data yet to attest that. I will soon check FE on highway and normal city driving and will verify if there is any difference in FE. Here I have attached few photographs of uphill road, downhill road and Udaipur city below.
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-image0114.jpg
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-image0119.jpg
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-image0115.jpg
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-image020.jpg
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-image021.jpg

@Oxygen you must go for ECU remapping and feel the difference.

@Sajit I havenít observed any lack of torque in first gear. Please get your cars ECU remapped once again and be sure that the Service Engineer is using remapping version no. 3 and also check the quality of fuel of filling station.

Till date my car has covered 3000+ km. Following the advice of Team-Bhp on proper running-in, I drove my car very carefully for first 2500 km. I didnít exceeded 2000 rpm for first 1000 km. Thereafter I began to took car upto 2500 rpm till 1800 km and changed engine oil and filter (though not recommended by GM) at 1800 km. After 1800 km I gradually took car upto 3000 rpm till 2500 km with brief sprints upto 5500 rpm in 2nd gear, and after 2500 km drove car spiritedly in 3000Ė3500 rpm band with frequent sprints upto 5500 rpm in 2nd & 3rd gears. Here is my Fuel Efficiency Figures calculated on full tank to full tank basis. The load being 140 kg (Me, my wife & Luggage).
Attached Files
File Type: doc FE.doc (42.5 KB, 556 views)
Topolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 13:35   #1239
BHPian
 
sajjt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 504
Thanked: 96 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topolino View Post

@Sajit I havenít observed any lack of torque in first gear. Please get your cars ECU remapped once again and be sure that the Service Engineer is using remapping version no. 3 and also check the quality of fuel of filling station.

Till date my car has covered 3000+ km. Following the advice of Team-Bhp on proper running-in, I drove my car very carefully for first 2500 km. I didnít exceeded 2000 rpm for first 1000 km. Thereafter I began to took car upto 2500 rpm till 1800 km and changed engine oil and filter (though not recommended by GM) at 1800 km. After 1800 km I gradually took car upto 3000 rpm till 2500 km with brief sprints upto 5500 rpm in 2nd gear, and after 2500 km drove car spiritedly in 3000Ė3500 rpm band with frequent sprints upto 5500 rpm in 2nd & 3rd gears. Here is my Fuel Efficiency Figures calculated on full tank to full tank basis. The load being 140 kg (Me, my wife & Luggage).

Yeah, I am yet to get ECU remapping, couldnít get a convenient time for till now. May be next week or so I will take it to the SVC. Thing is in Cochin, you canít see anything while its getting serviced as the service bay is behind the showroom and itís not accessible to clients. Only thing I can ask them but that doesnít mean that they will tell me the truth. May be GM had upgraded the ECU mapping software due to this torque issue and hence you may not feel the difference after remapping. I used to fuel from only trusted outlets in our place so there is no doubt in that as I have cross checked with this other reputed fuel stations too. Hope this will be settled with the new remapping.

Why did you change the oil which was advised only on 15K Kms? What benefit will ensure by doing this? Is this advice from the SVC?

BTW, nice pictures dude and your car really blends with the scenery.
sajjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 14:13   #1240
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 14
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Regarding Mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topolino View Post
In Udaipur GM Dealer organized a service camp on 23rd & 24th July in which they remapped ECUs of all the Beats sold here. I also attended the camp and when I refused for remapping, the Service Engineer told me that the GM has issued a circular and made it mandatory to remap the ECUs of all Beats sold till date. He also told me that the new Beats are coming with same remapped ECUs. Before going for remapping I test drove another Beat with remapped ECU to check the difference. The difference was noticeable so I opted for ECU remapping. The process is very simple. The ECU connector which is located on the underside of the dashboard (RHS) is connected through an adaptor to the Laptop and remapping is done online through the software of GM Global Connect. After remapping pick-up has improved a lot through all the gears and rpm range. The engine has become rev friendly and didnít feel strained even after 4500 rpm and touches 5500 rpm quite swiftly. I took the car for a 40 km drive on village, city and steep hilly roads and drove the car quite briskly (rather abused the car). On steep uphill engine responded very nicely and no lag was felt. There were many sharp turns and from almost dead stops car picked up adequately. I managed to get 10.13 kmpl without AC. I feel that the fuel efficiency has gone down although I have no data yet to attest that. I will soon check FE on highway and normal city driving and will verify if there is any difference in FE. Here I have attached few photographs of uphill road, downhill road and Udaipur city below.
Attachment 394035
Attachment 394037
Attachment 394031
Attachment 394032
Attachment 394033

@Oxygen you must go for ECU remapping and feel the difference.

@Sajit I havenít observed any lack of torque in first gear. Please get your cars ECU remapped once again and be sure that the Service Engineer is using remapping version no. 3 and also check the quality of fuel of filling station.

Till date my car has covered 3000+ km. Following the advice of Team-Bhp on proper running-in, I drove my car very carefully for first 2500 km. I didnít exceeded 2000 rpm for first 1000 km. Thereafter I began to took car upto 2500 rpm till 1800 km and changed engine oil and filter (though not recommended by GM) at 1800 km. After 1800 km I gradually took car upto 3000 rpm till 2500 km with brief sprints upto 5500 rpm in 2nd gear, and after 2500 km drove car spiritedly in 3000Ė3500 rpm band with frequent sprints upto 5500 rpm in 2nd & 3rd gears. Here is my Fuel Efficiency Figures calculated on full tank to full tank basis. The load being 140 kg (Me, my wife & Luggage).

Saw your FE figures and was puzzled. Its great that you got 19kmpl earlier, but post-ECU remapping, FE figures have drastically fallen. Also, I haven't done anything to the car except first check-up. Still, my FE has always been 10-11 kmpl. Am I doing something wrong here? I know I drive strictly "Mumbai B2B", but still mileage always seems to worry me.
webadi27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 14:39   #1241
Senior - BHPian
 
oxyzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Not fixed.
Posts: 1,026
Thanked: 263 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topolino View Post
@Oxygen you must go for ECU remapping and feel the difference.
Thanks a lot Pal. I will surely get it done once I go for my second service. It is only a month away.
However the improvents in drivability you mentioned--- are they with or without AC? Any improvement in engine NVH after 4500RPM?
oxyzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 17:14   #1242
BHPian
 
Topolino's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Udaipur
Posts: 243
Thanked: 59 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
Why did you change the oil which was advised only on 15K Kms? What benefit will ensure by doing this? Is this advice from the SVC?
Oil change was not advised by Service Centre, they did it on my request. Team-BHP too recommends change of engine oil after the first 1,000 km. Please read the article
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...r-new-car.html (ARTICLE: How to Run-In your new car).
I too believe that as with all new engines, some metal slivers may have found their way into the oil and I decided to get rid of running-in oil. But as the synthetic oil is being used in Beat and also the synthetic oil extends the running in period, I decided to change oil after 1800 km.

Quote:
Originally Posted by webadi27 View Post
Saw your FE figures and was puzzled. Its great that you got 19kmpl earlier, but post-ECU remapping, FE figures have drastically fallen. Also, I haven't done anything to the car except first check-up. Still, my FE has always been 10-11 kmpl. Am I doing something wrong here? I know I drive strictly "Mumbai B2B", but still mileage always seems to worry me.
FE depends on lots of factor like road condition, road type (village, city, sub-urban, highway, uphill) traffic, rpms at which gears are upshifted, speed, usage of AC and load. After ECU remapping the drop in my car's FE I think is due to the driving style and condition. I drove briskly and upshifted at higher rpms and on uphill revved car hard in 1st & 2nd gears.
Please let me know your driving style and at what rpm you usually up-shift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Thanks a lot Pal. I will surely get it done once I go for my second service. It is only a month away.
However the improvents in drivability you mentioned--- are they with or without AC? Any improvement in engine NVH after 4500RPM?
The drivability has improved a lot. After remapping even with AC ON, the car's pick-up is better than what used to be without AC prior to remapping. Though the engine has become quite rev friendly but I haven't observed any difference in engine sound.
Topolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 22:06   #1243
Senior - BHPian
 
oxyzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Not fixed.
Posts: 1,026
Thanked: 263 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topolino View Post
Please let me know your driving style and at what rpm you usually up-shift.
If you dont mind me replying-
During cruising
0-10 #1
10-25 #2
25-35 #3
35-45 #4
50+ #5
During normal acceleration
0-20 #1
20-40 #2
40-60 #3
These are just approximate data.
I am getting 13 in city with 100% AC.
Avg speed 25 KMPH, Top speed 60 (for 90% of my drives)
Prior to 3000KM I used to get 11.5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topolino View Post
The drivability has improved a lot. After remapping even with AC ON, the car's pick-up is better than what used to be without AC prior to remapping. Though the engine has become quite rev friendly but I haven't observed any difference in engine sound.
Since you sound to optimistic I am forced to go for ECU remapping this week only. Just cant wait.
You mentioned the engine has become rev friendly. That means better top end.
You also said better drivability. That means better bottom end and midrange right?
So there is significant improvement in the entire rev range!!
Thats Awsome.

Last edited by oxyzen : 26th July 2010 at 22:10.
oxyzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 23:29   #1244
BHPian
 
KreativeGeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 258
Thanked: 330 Times
Default

FE improved to 13.73 on second petrol refill from 10.61 of first average recorded, tracking FE by trip meter now as suggested by Salbin still not going with full tank filling, would be tracking it from 1st July with that method.

Difference in driving pattern this time was that i raced the car on some occasions on 5th gear, tried to go above the 2.5k RPM mark to see how did the engine respond, still smooth and stable driving experience at 100 km/h speed within city during night time on Nagar road highway, was also checking out brake response which was spot on.

Consciously changed less gears, luckily i do not have habit of resting my foot on the clutch. this time i have refilled petrol from BP petrol pump outside Magarpatta city which is discussed to be a not-so honest petrol pump by many motorists in Pune. I used to refill my Alto LXI regularly from this pump, but would like to see the difference this time in my Beat
KreativeGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2010, 10:54   #1245
BHPian
 
Topolino's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Udaipur
Posts: 243
Thanked: 59 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
If you dont mind me replying-
During cruising
0-10 #1
10-25 #2
25-35 #3
35-45 #4
50+ #5
During normal acceleration
0-20 #1
20-40 #2
40-60 #3
These are just approximate data.
I am getting 13 in city with 100% AC.
Avg speed 25 KMPH, Top speed 60 (for 90% of my drives)
Prior to 3000KM I used to get 11.5.
My driving style is same as yours. You are getting very good FE of 13 kmpl with 100% AC ON in Kolkata city which is certainly more crowded than Udaipur. You also got 17 kmpl with 100% AC ON on highways that to with spirited driving, which is again an excellent FE figure. I must say your driving style is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Since you sound to optimistic I am forced to go for ECU remapping this week only. Just cant wait.
You mentioned the engine has become rev friendly. That means better top end.
You also said better drivability. That means better bottom end and midrange right?
So there is significant improvement in the entire rev range!!
Thats Awsome.
Indeed I feel significant difference, you must go for ECU remapping and do post your POST remapping experience.
Topolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chevrolet Beat TCDI Diesel : Test Drive & Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 693 30th December 2016 12:52


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:54.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks