Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2010, 18:23   #1336
BHPian
 
quadmaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 374
Thanked: 70 Times
Default

Nice pics Oxyzen.

BTW, I just wanted to update here if anyone is still looking out for the BEAT's mini usb to usb converter. I ordered it from a Hong Kong shop with free shipping, came to around Rs 70 from here:

DealExtreme: $1.46 Mini USB 5-Pin Male to USB A-Female Adapter

Took about 3 weeks for delivery. Works just fine...
quadmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 10:52   #1337
BHPian
 
sajjt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 504
Thanked: 96 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadmaniac View Post
Nice pics Oxyzen.

BTW, I just wanted to update here if anyone is still looking out for the BEAT's mini usb to usb converter. I ordered it from a Hong Kong shop with free shipping, came to around Rs 70 from here:

DealExtreme: $1.46 Mini USB 5-Pin Male to USB A-Female Adapter

Took about 3 weeks for delivery. Works just fine...
True, we get some hot deals from there and the plus point is free shipping to everywhere. But beware of customs duty at times. I bought a LED PIR sensor 3W bulb from them for $5, here I was charged another 300/ for customs duty. But I got another deals without duty too. If you go for high value items then it will get easily noticed by them.
sajjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 18:04   #1338
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Nagpur/Indore
Posts: 58
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kphilip View Post
Does anyone has this problem?? Put the ac in full blast and then try to put ur hand in door handle, u can feel the ac there also, seems like its an ac leak in all the door handlers.One of my friend told this and he tried it out..I think GM will give a free solution for the same..No wonder some guys have low fuel efficiency in Beat

Tried it finally. And i really am glad that nothing of the sort hapening with my car. Your friend's car must have been one of few with the defect you mentioned. Sadly...there goes my chance of better FE.
akshatverma1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 18:05   #1339
BHPian
 
informmaha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Banglore/Madras
Posts: 215
Thanked: 33 Times
Default

Hi All,

Just a question, do you have the under seat storage in Beat?

If so, is it available only in LT version or with all the variant?

I have an LS which does not have one, and one of my friend has an LT and that does not have it either.

I remember seeing it in the test drive vehicle.

Regards,
Rajan.
informmaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 21:51   #1340
BHPian
 
quadmaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 374
Thanked: 70 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by informmaha View Post
Hi All,

Just a question, do you have the under seat storage in Beat?
I can say for sure it's there in the front co-passenger seat for my LT (I never reached down from the driver's seat.. but I'm guessing it should be there).

You don't have it could mean the tray was removed by service guys or something?
quadmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 23:39   #1341
Joy
BHPian
 
Joy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 305
Thanked: 25 Times
Default

quadmaniac: Your avatar is lovely. Can we get a full frame, plea...se.

Also, though I have almost finalised on Beat, but getting confused regarding "Figo" about the boot space. Does it means that we can't go for a weekend trip with our luggage. I have a 6 yr year old kid. Please give me an honest opinion.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. The same question goes to astonlobo also.
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 11:03   #1342
Newbie
 
nirubhai's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 20
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by informmaha View Post
Hi All,

Just a question, do you have the under seat storage in Beat?

If so, is it available only in LT version or with all the variant?

I have an LS which does not have one, and one of my friend has an LT and that does not have it either.

I remember seeing it in the test drive vehicle.

Regards,
Rajan.
I'm having LS version and the Under Seat Storage is not available with LS
nirubhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 11:57   #1343
BHPian
 
alstonlobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 472
Thanked: 96 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy View Post
quadmaniac: Your avatar is lovely. Can we get a full frame, plea...se.

Also, though I have almost finalised on Beat, but getting confused regarding "Figo" about the boot space. Does it means that we can't go for a weekend trip with our luggage. I have a 6 yr year old kid. Please give me an honest opinion.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. The same question goes to astonlobo also.

Yes the boot space in Beat is pretty much small, 170 litres to be precise. But for my use, I never really make use of boot space, just use it for storing my car care products and now I have the subwoofer, amplifier and sub enclosure all in their respective boxes and the boot is filled to the brim. I could call it adequate but not enough for long trips which would involve multiple bags. To increase space, you have the option of folding either or both the rear seats, in case you dont have 3 occupants in the rear seat.

I have seen the Figo's boot and it is really huge and impressive, but am not happy at all with the car's quality of interior plastics. The finishing and build is very dull and gives you an impression it is made up of cheap material. This was a real setback to when I saw Figo in the flesh. The main reason I went for Beat is interior quality. Coming back to boot space, have a thought, analyse how many bags, suitcases you have and pratically fill up a TD Beat with your bags, after all for the TD car, you 'Drive it like you own it'
alstonlobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 12:13   #1344
BHPian
 
informmaha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Banglore/Madras
Posts: 215
Thanked: 33 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadmaniac View Post
I can say for sure it's there in the front co-passenger seat for my LT (I never reached down from the driver's seat.. but I'm guessing it should be there).

You don't have it could mean the tray was removed by service guys or something?
Hey quad,

What i heard from the SR is that they (GM) have stopped providing those trays under the seat from July - Aug. So that might be the reason my friend does not have it, i suppose. I have no clue on that, have to check it up with people in other places whether they still get it with the vehicle.

I also got it confirmed that its available only on LT variants before.

Regards,
Rajan.
informmaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 13:56   #1345
Joy
BHPian
 
Joy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 305
Thanked: 25 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstonlobo View Post
.....
I could call it adequate but not enough for long trips which would involve multiple bags. To increase space, you have the option of folding either or both the rear seats, in case you dont have 3 occupants in the rear seat.

I have seen the Figo's boot and it is really huge and impressive, but am not happy at all with the car's quality of interior plastics. The finishing and build is very dull and gives you an impression it is made up of cheap material. This was a real setback to when I saw Figo in the flesh. The main reason I went for Beat is interior quality. Coming back to boot space, have a thought, analyse how many bags, suitcases you have and pratically fill up a TD Beat with your bags, after all for the TD car, you 'Drive it like you own it'
Thanks for the response. I will try as suggested by you, if it is possible.

Since you are using it, what do you think can be loaded onto the boot (say n no. of suitcases or bags)? Just want to get an idea.

Thanks in advance.
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 13:57   #1346
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Cochin
Posts: 334
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshatverma1979 View Post
Tried it finally. And i really am glad that nothing of the sort hapening with my car. Your friend's car must have been one of few with the defect you mentioned. Sadly...there goes my chance of better FE.
dude, did u put the ac in full blast? i mean with full fan speed and cooling.I think its there in all Beat!
kphilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 19:17   #1347
Senior - BHPian
 
oxyzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Not fixed.
Posts: 1,026
Thanked: 263 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy View Post
quadmaniac: Your avatar is lovely. Can we get a full frame, plea...se.

Also, though I have almost finalised on Beat, but getting confused regarding "Figo" about the boot space. Does it means that we can't go for a weekend trip with our luggage. I have a 6 yr year old kid. Please give me an honest opinion.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. The same question goes to astonlobo also.
Boot of Beat is definately a letdown. But space for a weekend trip for 3 people should be more than enough. For 4 its a bit tight. For 5 people---impossible.

Major advantage of Beat over Figo (petrol) is FE.
Styling wise Beat is miles ahead. Both inside and outside.
For highway drives Figo's engine may be below average. But okay in city. Throttle response might be even better than Beat. Turn on Figo's AC and it becomes very sluggish.

However Figo scores in Space. Much much more than Beat.
Handling is awsome. Though ride isn't at good at Beat.

Its a very tough call to make. If you love driving or want more space go for Figo. If you are obsessed with looks and need a low cost of ownership Beat is the way to go.
oxyzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 20:26   #1348
BHPian
 
alstonlobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 472
Thanked: 96 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy View Post
Thanks for the response. I will try as suggested by you, if it is possible.

Since you are using it, what do you think can be loaded onto the boot (say n no. of suitcases or bags)? Just want to get an idea.

Thanks in advance.

I had a situation wherein I made use of boot space. My dad and I went to a far off place just to buy some really fresh fish a few months back. My dad has this habit of buying truckloads of fish

We had taken a few bags and 2 standard buckets with lids for storing the fish. Finally ended up filling both the buckets as well as a large bag of fish and all three items were kept next to each other in the boot (i.e 2 buckets + 1 big bag) and next to those was my car vacuum cleaner, shampoo, brush and dusting cloth. Overall, the boot was filled but there was little space to just keep something on the buckets just in case. That was pretty much it.

Currently the boot is full and this would be a very good example to show you, I shall be clicking a picture tomorrow and will upload it here for you to give you an idea of a full house.
alstonlobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 20:43   #1349
BHPian
 
quadmaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 374
Thanked: 70 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy View Post
quadmaniac: Your avatar is lovely. Can we get a full frame, plea...se.
Thanks Joy. It's a bit photoshopped -- I'll PM you.

BTW, w.r.t the Figo vs Beat debate:

- earlier many people posted problems with Beat's 2nd gear performance - note that this is no longer there after GM's ECU remap.

- regarding looks, no competition. To me, the Figo's rear end looks too 1990-ish.

- regarding bootspace. I'd ask you to consider how often you'd use it. For me (a single guy) .. it's like NEVER, or when my parents come to Hyderabad to visit me (I'm originally from Kolkata)

Also, remember that Beat has rear split seats. So if you are 2 people + lots of luggage - things can still fit.

Ride and handling I don't have much to say/compare with Figo since 1 - I'm a newbie driver, and 2 - I haven't TD'ed the Figo.

Basically, you won't go horribly wrong with either choice, but still.... Go for the BEAT
quadmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 23:12   #1350
Joy
BHPian
 
Joy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 305
Thanked: 25 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen
Boot of Beat is definately a letdown. But space for a weekend trip for 3 people should be more than enough. For 4 its a bit tight. For 5 people---impossible.

Major advantage of Beat over Figo (petrol) is FE.
Styling wise Beat is miles ahead. Both inside and outside.
For highway drives Figo's engine may be below average. But okay in city. Throttle response might be even better than Beat. Turn on Figo's AC and it becomes very sluggish.

However Figo scores in Space. Much much more than Beat.
Handling is awsome. Though ride isn't at good at Beat.

Its a very tough call to make. If you love driving or want more space go for Figo. If you are obsessed with looks and need a low cost of ownership Beat is the way to go.
Thanks oxygen. I love driving but at the same time being a middle-class person cost of ownership also matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstonlobo View Post
.....
Currently the boot is full and this would be a very good example to show you, I shall be clicking a picture tomorrow and will upload it here for you to give you an idea of a full house.
Thanks, looking forward to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadmaniac View Post
......
- earlier many people posted problems with Beat's 2nd gear performance - note that this is no longer there after GM's ECU remap.

- regarding looks, no competition. To me, the Figo's rear end looks too 1990-ish.

- regarding bootspace. I'd ask you to consider how often you'd use it. For me (a single guy) .. it's like NEVER, or when my parents come to Hyderabad to visit me (I'm originally from Kolkata)

Also, remember that Beat has rear split seats. So if you are 2 people + lots of luggage - things can still fit.
....
Basically, you won't go horribly wrong with either choice, but still.... Go for the BEAT
Yes, I know about the ECU remap & regarding looks it's miles ahead. That's why I am inclined to it. But since this will be my first car, I don't want to regret. By the way, nice to know you are from Kolkata also.


Thanks all of you for the support. The more I hear from you, the more I getting inclined to BEAT.

One last question to all of you, how is Figo's petrol engine compared to Beat?

Sorry to bugging you all (@oxygen, @astonlobo & @quadmaniac).

Thanks in Advance.
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chevrolet Beat TCDI Diesel : Test Drive & Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 693 30th December 2016 12:52


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:29.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks