Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2011, 16:03   #1936
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawkeron View Post
Thank you guys for your replies. I will check with the service guys as my car is due for its 20k service. Last time the cooling had temperorly improved after service . Maybe its truely an issue of dusty Mumbai roads
I was facing same issue,But what i did was,I made them replace the filter and asked them to clean the duct.Before that,I opened the filter ad found lot of dry leaves,dust and small cotton etc coverd.It was blocking the air flow.Try replacing the filter every 10,000 KM. Hope this will solve your issue.AC is pretty cool in Beat
Old 22nd July 2011, 21:47   #1937
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by white-rabbit View Post
.(One question: How much petrol does it indicate for one bar in the fuel meter?My guess is 2L)
Always measure your FE using full tank to full tank method.
The graduations in the fuel gauge does not give accurate results.
Basically it is not linear. The drop in the number of bars in the display will be faster when the fuel level is in the bottom.
Old 22nd July 2011, 22:08   #1938
BHPian

I did that(F2F) lastime,when I travelled to my native(Kerala). I got a refill of some 36 L;If I am not wrong,because some fuel was already in tank.I barely got 12-13 during that trip.I had to cover some ghat during that trip.I think oncemore I have to do this F2F method.And I always use Shell Normal petrol.
Old 22nd July 2011, 22:16   #1939
Joy
BHPian

Quote:
But again mileage..I am just checking it.But looks no good.On Mysore-Bangalore Highway,before this 10000 service I was getting 13 km/L.(One question: How much petrol does it indicate for one bar in the fuel meter?My guess is 2L)
A quick query, how do you measure your FE? A very good way to check FE as explained in TBHP is auto cut to auto cut method or tank full to tank full method. I am following auto cut method as far as possible, the lowest till date I got was 10.23 kmpl with 100% ac and mad b2b traffic and that too before 1000 km servicing.

Calculating FE with bars in the fuel meter, I think is very unreliable method.

Last edited by Joy : 22nd July 2011 at 22:17. Reason: typo
Old 23rd July 2011, 12:11   #1940
BHPian

what is auto cut to auto cut method?
Old 23rd July 2011, 15:16   #1941
BHPian

Quote:
what is auto cut to auto cut method?
Its done when you tank up full. You stop filling at the point when the pump nozzle auto cut offs fuel pumping when it senses the tank is almost full. You drive for some distance and refuel using the same method. Divide the distance by the fuel filled for the second time and you will get the mileage figure.
Old 23rd July 2011, 16:09   #1942
BHPian

thanks guys.Its time for renewal of insurance policy.planning to go for 0% dep BHARATHI AXA.Any advice?
Old 24th July 2011, 18:21   #1943
BHPian

Hi all, rather than the auto cut method, dont you think we can check the FE when the low fuel lamp glows? i reset the trip meter when it glows and fill it up with some specified quantity of fuel . When the low fuel glows again, i note the reading and calculate the Fuel efficiency.
ie.F.E=Reading on the trip/Amount of fuel filled.

Do let me know if there is any accuracy problem in measuring the FE by this method.

Last edited by kphilip : 24th July 2011 at 18:21. Reason: Laack of clarity
Old 24th July 2011, 19:36   #1944
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
thanks guys.Its time for renewal of insurance policy.planning to go for 0% dep BHARATHI AXA.Any advice?
How much are they quoting? Also try HDFC & Bajaj Allianz. try getting a couple of quotes and use it to bargain with others. I always got the BEST quotes from Bajaj Allianz for the last 2 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kphilip View Post
Hi all, rather than the auto cut method, dont you think we can check the FE when the low fuel lamp glows? i reset the trip meter when it glows and fill it up with some specified quantity of fuel . When the low fuel glows again, i note the reading and calculate the Fuel efficiency.ie.F.E=Reading on the trip/Amount of fuel filled.

Do let me know if there is any accuracy problem in measuring the FE by this method.
Rather than this method, more accurate will be the tankful to tankful method. Do you always tank-fill exactly when you see the "low fuel warning light" ? The answer should be "NO" right. This will lead to variations as to how much fuel is taken up every time. Also we have other parameters like filling from the same pump, preferably from the same nozzle even.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 24th July 2011 at 19:41.
Old 24th July 2011, 20:27   #1945
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
How much are they quoting? Also try HDFC & Bajaj Allianz. try getting a couple of quotes and use it to bargain with others. I always got the BEST quotes from Bajaj Allianz for the last 2 years..
I will provide all the quatations tomorrow.All details are in office,As I left my diary there on last friday

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Rather than this method, more accurate will be the tankful to tankful method. Do you always tank-fill exactly when you see the "low fuel warning light" ? The answer should be "NO" right. This will lead to variations as to how much fuel is taken up every time. Also we have other parameters like filling from the same pump, preferably from the same nozzle even.
Should i fill it upto autocutoff or should i do a topup?Topup is messing all the calculation i think.
Old 24th July 2011, 21:36   #1946
BHPian

@ white-rabbit / kphilip:
Filling exactly upto the auto cut off will be more accurate compared to the low fuel warning.
The fuel gauge is basically a sensor connected to a float installed in the fuel tank. You are seeing the fuel gauge reading when the vehicle is in motion and there will be ripples/movement of the liquid surface and float due to the vehicle movement, which contribute to some error. Also, there will be slopes and uphill in the road, which leads to level fluctuations. Moreover there is no audible warning for the low fuel -it is difficult/unsafe to keep looking at the fuel gauge and drive.
While filling the tank, the vehicle is not moving and there will not be much movements in the fluid level. If you are always filling from the same outlet, then the difference will be minimum and the calculation will be much more accurate.
Old 24th July 2011, 21:41   #1947
Joy
BHPian

Quote:
Should i fill it upto autocutoff or should i do a topup?Topup is messing all the calculation i think.
This is entirely a personal liking. My liking is auto cut method, others prefer tank full method.

Since, you have already tried tank full to tank full method, why don't you give auto cut method a try? This might clear some doubts about FE.
Old 25th July 2011, 10:15   #1948
BHPian

Finally, today I am going to try the auto cutoff method. I am taking her to the shell petrol bunk, where i always do the fill. My plan is to fill upto auto cut off. Reset the odo, run for few days. Again do a fill and calculate. Will let you guys the result. This was a fruitful discussion.

Last edited by Jaggu : 25th July 2011 at 10:19. Reason: Leaving a space after a sentence or a punctuation mark helps in reading. Please do a Preview before Submitting, thanks.
Old 25th July 2011, 10:33   #1949
BHPian

Guys, wanted to confirm if this is normal. The blower in my beat when kept in air intake mode will blow the air from outside to inside in-spite of being at speed 0? Is that Normal? I changed that to recirculation mode and now it does not blow air. Can someone confirm this?

If this is normal then is this the cause that the A/C filter gets clogged so early?
Old 25th July 2011, 12:12   #1950
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
Guys, wanted to confirm if this is normal. The blower in my beat when kept in air intake mode will blow the air from outside to inside in-spite of being at speed 0? Is that Normal? I changed that to recirculation mode and now it does not blow air. Can someone confirm this?

If this is normal then is this the cause that the A/C filter gets clogged so early?
When you set up the air intake from outside, it will definitely pull up a lot of dust. So its better that you get the blower cleaned up every 10K service. I did it in Bangy initially and was really shocked to see the amount of dust on the blower. Even when I set it to only recirculation mode, there was enough dust to clean up after 20K kms.

I kinda feel that my Swift even at blower 0 still blows some air to the windshield and all. Not sure about it though.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks