Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2010, 03:12   #1531
Senior - BHPian
 
Amartya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Evanston
Posts: 1,657
Thanked: 219 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
1. Turbo lag is not an issue while pulling away from traffic lights or in bumper-to-bumper traffic. In the bumper-to-bumper situation, the car is able to run with just the pulling power at idle. You do not have to use the accelerator at all, so there is no question of turbo lag. The one situation where the turbo lag is felt as a handicap is if you are traveling at any 50-60 kmph and slow down for a big bump. Then trying to resume your speed, you do feel the turbo lag. But this situation is far less common than the other 2 above at least in Chennai.
Forgive me if my post seems a little harsh, but I think you need to know what you are talking about. When you say that there is no question of turbo lag,it is a completely false statement. What you said is purely because of the low-end torque that any diesel engine generates (even a 1-cylinder, 3 wheeled Greaves/Bajaj monstrosity), even at idling rpm. Two days back, test-drove the Polo, although I liked the interior quality and the gearbox, the diesel was noisy and the turbo lag was much worse than the 1.3MJD in the Vista, and the 1.4 in the Figo/iKon. My question to you is, have you test-driven those two cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
2. This is THE latest engine of VW and it is being made in Germany only right now and being directly imported. IMO, the feeling of being given the importance and pride of place is what tips the balance at the end of the day. We as a nation worship the latest technology and for once, we are getting the second largest global automaker’s (soon to be the largest) The petrol engine is older, although it is also very current and being sold throughout the developed world.
Again, what an abject lack of objectivity. This "latest" engine might be imported and what not, but it is no great shakes. Your post reminds me of a time, when "imported hai saar" used to be a shopkeepers buzzword to well a product. Currently in India, there are 3 small car diesels better than this engine, the 1.3MJD, the 1.4TDCi and the 1.4Crdi (Hyundai), with a marginal difference in emission figures being the only factor where the Polo scores higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Environment – whether you care deeply or not, no one can ignore the rapid change that is going on and visible all around you. The Polo Diesel is today the greenest internal combustion engine in the world. It has the lowest CO2 emissions of all similar vehicles globally.
The only point where I can agree with you, and I do.

I understand that you were sharing your decision making criteria with us, but it is important to not go overboard defending one's own choice.

Last edited by Amartya : 23rd June 2010 at 03:15.
Amartya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 06:32   #1532
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 309
Thanked: 271 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoghchaphalkar View Post
100 m is a considerable distance !! In fact when you say you are "bit slow" in the first 100 m : that is EXACTLY where you are experiencing the turbo lag !!
I do not disagree that this is due to Turbo lag. I am not saying there is no turbo lag. I am only referring to how much of a problem turbo lag is or is not in the three situations I described. I have been driving a Verna Diesel before, and when I say a bit slow, I mean in comparison to that car.
Quote:
You won't experience turbo lag when you don't press the accelerator !! As simple as that
This is exactly what I am saying . Please re-read my post closely. We are in full agreement


Quote:
Source ??? As far as I know Fiat topped the 2009 rankings for low carbon emission cars. Volkswagen did not feature anywhere.

Check this report : http://www.jato.com/PressReleases/Sm...0Emissions.pdf
Please see: (this post is a month old, apparently things have changed since 2009!

Delphi's Multec(R) Diesel Common Rail System Helps New Volkswagen Polo BlueMotion Achieve Record Low CO2 Emissions and Fuel Consumption

No hard feelings. I am only clarifying my post.
84.monsoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 08:22   #1533
BHPian
 
sandeepmdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Varkala
Posts: 985
Thanked: 239 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
After a lot of missed deadlines, I was told by the dealer in early May that there would another one month delay because VW had send a truckload of Diesels instead of the petrol’s they ordered.
VW shipped a truckload of Rs 8L cars by mistake?

Man, God bless you and your car when you go there for service! Just imagine the excuses they'd come up with, after goofing up something.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 23rd June 2010 at 08:25.
sandeepmdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 12:34   #1534
BHPian
 
carfanatic007's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 207
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Guys,
Thanks for the inputs for my question. But anyway most of the answers were subjective ones.
I am only seeing people say things like build quality, straight lines, looks that you can fall in love etc.
And mind you in terms of safety there are other cars too which are ahead of it viz i20 etc. with airbag and ABS etc.

I am not able to find one good differentiator that can define what Polo is better at. I guess as Chetan mentioned its a factor of all features put together as a package.
Anyway thanks for your suggestions. My friends wife is already a lot tilted towards i20.
(BTW she said straight no to Figo despite me pushing hard )
Xingy,

I was talking about Highline version which also has ABS & Airbags similar to other cars. I am also curious to know that what is the USP of any hatch you like
carfanatic007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 14:56   #1535
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,992
Thanked: 5,034 Times
Default

I do not understand the turbo thing.

Why should anybody be interested in acceleration in "bumper-to-bumper" traffic?
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 15:15   #1536
BHPian
 
rajushank84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: California, USA
Posts: 856
Thanked: 325 Times
Default

Well I found turbo kicking in late in the Swift/Ritz most difficult to manage in bumper-to-bumper, because the car would suddenly leap forward when I expected it to slow down. Also happens when you downshift for engine braking, but there is a throw forward instead of braking, due to increase in rpm and turbo coming in.

I guess it can be avoided by not revving at all in bumper to bumper traffic and as someone said, riding the sheer torque.
rajushank84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 16:27   #1537
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,992
Thanked: 5,034 Times
Default

Thanks rajushank84 --- I really had not got the point before, but now I realise why this is a problem

Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 17:07   #1538
BHPian
 
Zen2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 236
Thanked: 17 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I do not understand the turbo thing.

Why should anybody be interested in acceleration in "bumper-to-bumper" traffic?
Excellent. Point to ponder. Kills the argument. The only reason I can think of is to prevent some two or three wheeler from getting between you and the car in front! Just my thought on b2b traffic.
Zen2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 17:15   #1539
BHPian
 
Zen2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 236
Thanked: 17 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post

After a lot of missed deadlines, I was told by the dealer in early May that there would another one month delay because VW had send a truckload of Diesels instead of the petrolís they ordered.
What next? Will they be servicing a petrol VW with diesel spares just because the company shipped the same "by mistake"? Or vice versa? Or maybe with Fabia spares? C'mon, thats NO excuse. Either I smell a rat in this "policy" of pedalling the diesel (mind you, I'm a fan) or its downright unacceptable miscommunication between the dealers and VW. But as we (Indians) are, we always tend to forget the core issue and look at the apparently "brighter" side of mistakes, right? Thats the sentiment VW is exploiting, thereby earning more than a lac (or even 2 lacs) extra per petrol booking that's converted to diesel. Tch tch.
Zen2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 18:59   #1540
Senior - BHPian
 
xingamazon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,399
Thanked: 107 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfanatic007 View Post
Xingy,

I was talking about Highline version which also has ABS & Airbags similar to other cars. I am also curious to know that what is the USP of any hatch you like
Well in my opinion here is the list of USP:

1. Maruti Alto - Affordable Car for the family of say three people
2. Tata Nano - Cheapest Car enough for anyone to afford.
3. Ford Figo - leg Space and boot space, affordable diesel engine
4. Maruti Swift - Peppy engine, Enthusiasts car oriented towards performance
5. Fiesta - Peppy Petrol engine to enthuse car enthusiasts, Affordable diesel Sedan in that C segment.
6. Ritz - Again peppy engine, oriented towards performance
7 Innova - Oriented as an MUV with reliability with good leg space even in rear bench.

I might have missed a lots of points but if you see, and ask anyone about these cars above, they will tell one point telling this is what differentiates this car from its peers
xingamazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 20:50   #1541
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 309
Thanked: 271 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen2001 View Post
What next? Will they be servicing a petrol VW with diesel spares just because the company shipped the same "by mistake"? Or vice versa? Or maybe with Fabia spares? C'mon, thats NO excuse. Either I smell a rat in this "policy" of pedalling the diesel (mind you, I'm a fan) or its downright unacceptable miscommunication between the dealers and VW. But as we (Indians) are, we always tend to forget the core issue and look at the apparently "brighter" side of mistakes, right? Thats the sentiment VW is exploiting, thereby earning more than a lac (or even 2 lacs) extra per petrol booking that's converted to diesel. Tch tch.
Difference in price between Petrol and Diesel = exactly 1 lac.
Petrol TL ex-showroom Chennai= 4,42,000
Diesel TL ex-showroom Chennai = 5,42,000
84.monsoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 23:19   #1542
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 68
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
After a lot of missed deadlines, I was told by the dealer in early May that there would another one month delay because VW had send a truckload of Diesels instead of the petrolís they ordered.

Can I know the name of the SP who told you.. Sounds funny though
liner4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 23:22   #1543
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,992
Thanked: 5,034 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen2001 View Post
Excellent. Point to ponder. Kills the argument. The only reason I can think of is to prevent some two or three wheeler from getting between you and the car in front! Just my thought on b2b traffic.
, but, as subsequently explained to me, people are taslking about too much acceleration at slow speeds.

Gearing is tricky thing. I liked my Golf (company car, about nineteen years ago, 1.6, I think) but it would not cruise at 30MPH in 4th gear on the flat. Now, 30MPH is the general in-town speed limit in the UK, and such things are enforced --- so one had to live with higher revs, more fuel consumption and more engine noise in 3rd.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2010, 08:43   #1544
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 42
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Well in my opinion here is the list of USP:

1. Maruti Alto - Affordable Car for the family of say three people
2. Tata Nano - Cheapest Car enough for anyone to afford.
3. Ford Figo - leg Space and boot space, affordable diesel engine
4. Maruti Swift - Peppy engine, Enthusiasts car oriented towards performance
5. Fiesta - Peppy Petrol engine to enthuse car enthusiasts, Affordable diesel Sedan in that C segment.
6. Ritz - Again peppy engine, oriented towards performance
7 Innova - Oriented as an MUV with reliability with good leg space even in rear bench.

I might have missed a lots of points but if you see, and ask anyone about these cars above, they will tell one point telling this is what differentiates this car from its peers
Xing, IMO any vehicle cannot be held good or bad just comparing the USP. Its a combination of factors and ultimately depends on what the buyer is looking for. For me, even though budget was not a constraint, I ended up deciding on the Polo considering maybe not less than a 100 features. In fact I was looking at sedans but the Polo launch finally gave me a good option. For me, my car means my first wife. I would never marry a girl just based on a USP like beauty or brains but would consider many other factors.......so ditto with the car.
Infantarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2010, 10:27   #1545
BHPian
 
rajushank84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: California, USA
Posts: 856
Thanked: 325 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Well in my opinion here is the list of USP:

1. Maruti Alto - Affordable Car for the family of say three people
2. Tata Nano - Cheapest Car enough for anyone to afford.
3. Ford Figo - leg Space and boot space, affordable diesel engine
4. Maruti Swift - Peppy engine, Enthusiasts car oriented towards performance
5. Fiesta - Peppy Petrol engine to enthuse car enthusiasts, Affordable diesel Sedan in that C segment.
6. Ritz - Again peppy engine, oriented towards performance
7 Innova - Oriented as an MUV with reliability with good leg space even in rear bench.

I might have missed a lots of points but if you see, and ask anyone about these cars above, they will tell one point telling this is what differentiates this car from its peers
I disagree about your point on Ford Figo - its USP is the direct & responsive steering and dynamics, and also the only hatch with zero turbo-lag.

Space is Vista's territory.

Last edited by rajushank84 : 24th June 2010 at 10:28.
rajushank84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 8611 16th November 2016 12:26
Volkswagen Jetta 1.6 Litre Petrol (Trendline) Test Drive, Review & Photos Karizma Fan Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 40 18th February 2010 20:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:48.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks