Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2010, 11:25   #1561
BHPian
 
carfanatic007's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 207
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
May I..............disagree? If you look at the number of old Maruti's (only considering cars in India) that are still running on our roads, I wouldn't go as far as saying that Jap cars have a shorter lifespan. The Japanese have built their success by making cars with fantastic engines, with a reasonably light weight body (mind you, that doesn't mean unsafe), and having bullet proof reliability.

Your point about the highway cars is right. Having a safer car is indeed a boon, the Polo (and the Punto) gives an owner a sense of security because of the solid build, and I'd agree with that. However, it has been proven that lighter cars can be just as safe.
Mighty be going off topic here but Amartya just curious to know that what is the data to say that lighter cars are just as safe, is it based on some rating (NCP 5 star rating etc.),personal experience or crash test data?
carfanatic007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2010, 11:55   #1562
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 309
Thanked: 271 Times
Default Question for t-bhp experts

Hi tyre experts,

I have a question for you all. I have a Polo Trendline with steel wheels and 175-70-14 tyres. I wanted wider tyres and have looked at various options to upgrade to 15 inch alloys and wider tyres. But frankly, all the alloy wheels I saw look quite garish and ugly. The choice is limited sicne Polo has 5 holes for the wheel bolts and majority of the alloys seem to be made for 4 holes.

With this and the fact that VW is not selling original 15 inch alloys used in their HL variant as accessories (these do look good) I have come around to the conclusion that I will keep my 14 inch steel wheels.

Now the question is, can I fit wider tyres on these stock steel wheels? For instance, 185-65-R14 or 195-60-R14? All the posts I have read so far talk about upgrading the wheels to alloys and then fitting wider tyres, so I have a doubt about how possible and practical it is to stay with stock steel wheels and only upgrade the tyres?

If the answer is yes, any recommendations for tyre brands to go for? I basically want high speed stability especially around corners, also good grip inbad weather and wet roads.

thanks in advance!

thanks!
84.monsoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2010, 18:55   #1563
BHPian
 
Vinay-JS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 49
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
I have come around to the conclusion that I will keep my 14 inch steel wheels.
Good. I would say it is an intelligent decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
I basically want high speed stability especially around corners, also good grip inbad weather and wet roads.
84.monsoon, what makes you think that the existing Appolos don't handle well at high speeds, bad weather and wet roads. Did you experience anything unexpected with those tyres?

If you look at GTO's review, he clearly mentions and appreciates road holding abilities of polo. Below is the extract.



The Polo is fairly wide. The low stance, with wheels placed out at the corners, give it excellent road holding ability
Vinay-JS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2010, 20:16   #1564
BHPian
 
Zen2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 236
Thanked: 17 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfanatic007 View Post
Mighty be going off topic here but Amartya just curious to know that what is the data to say that lighter cars are just as safe, is it based on some rating (NCP 5 star rating etc.),personal experience or crash test data?
Forget NCP ratings, crash tests. After all your car is only as safe as you are (unless you are REALLY unlucky, in which case you need a tank.)
Zen2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2010, 21:36   #1565
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,384
Thanked: 5,229 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Hi tyre experts,

I have a question for you all. I have a Polo Trendline with steel wheels and 175-70-14 tyres. I wanted wider tyres and have looked at various options to upgrade to 15 inch alloys and wider tyres. But frankly, all the alloy wheels I saw look quite garish and ugly. The choice is limited sicne Polo has 5 holes for the wheel bolts and majority of the alloys seem to be made for 4 holes.

With this and the fact that VW is not selling original 15 inch alloys used in their HL variant as accessories (these do look good) I have come around to the conclusion that I will keep my 14 inch steel wheels.

Now the question is, can I fit wider tyres on these stock steel wheels? For instance, 185-65-R14 or 195-60-R14? All the posts I have read so far talk about upgrading the wheels to alloys and then fitting wider tyres, so I have a doubt about how possible and practical it is to stay with stock steel wheels and only upgrade the tyres?

If the answer is yes, any recommendations for tyre brands to go for? I basically want high speed stability especially around corners, also good grip inbad weather and wet roads.

thanks in advance!

thanks!
i think you should be able to fit 195/65 r14 on the stock rims. that would be a good size, of course what tyres are available in that size can be told to you by nikhilb

if you think 195 is overkill for the puny 1.2 then i think 185 should be adequate. 185/65 r14 that is.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2010, 23:00   #1566
Senior - BHPian
 
Amartya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Evanston
Posts: 1,657
Thanked: 219 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfanatic007 View Post
Mighty be going off topic here but Amartya just curious to know that what is the data to say that lighter cars are just as safe, is it based on some rating (NCP 5 star rating etc.),personal experience or crash test data?
First of all, notice the difference a single word makes, I said "can be just as safe". It is not the same as "are just as safe".

To give an example, the Honda Jazz has an NCAP 5 star rating, so does the i20. Note, these are for the top spec versions with all the safety kit.
Amartya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2010, 23:27   #1567
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: India
Posts: 673
Thanked: 137 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
First of all, notice the difference a single word makes, I said "can be just as safe". It is not the same as "are just as safe".

To give an example, the Honda Jazz has an NCAP 5 star rating, so does the i20. Note, these are for the top spec versions with all the safety kit.
Hi Amartya,

I liked the way you justify your point of view!
I am not curios, but your style of writing sometimes looks similar to an experienced lawyer sort of person who knows how to juggle with words and prove his point rt
I guess carfanatic007 wanted to know the reason behind car safety in relation to car weight!
AvonA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 00:10   #1568
Senior - BHPian
 
Amartya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Evanston
Posts: 1,657
Thanked: 219 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post
Hi Amartya,

I liked the way you justify your point of view!
I am not curious, but your style of writing sometimes looks similar to an experienced lawyer sort of person who knows how to juggle with words and prove his point rt
I guess carfanatic007 wanted to know the reason behind car safety in relation to car weight!
This debate about safety vis-a-vis weight is not that simple. There are a lot of factors that dictate the level of safety in an automobile, and I am sure you are aware of them. Weight does play a part - simple laws of physics - but so do crumple zones, air bags etc. By simple laws of physics, I meant that a NCAP 5 rated small car can never take on a truck and come out on top.

Among smaller cars, the ones made by Fiat, VW (Skoda included) have heftier build, and they do feel safer, but that shouldn't undermine the fact that the Japanese (say the Jazz and the i20: I know it is Korean) might be just as safe. This has nothing to do with playing with words, it's a fact.

For the record, I've driven the Polo very recently, and I did like the build quality, I also love the Punto's build. What I found disconcerting was the blatant dissing of Japanese cars without any valid reasons to back it up.

Last edited by Amartya : 28th June 2010 at 00:11.
Amartya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 00:52   #1569
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 309
Thanked: 271 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinay-JS View Post
Good. I would say it is an intelligent decision.



84.monsoon, what makes you think that the existing Appolos don't handle well at high speeds, bad weather and wet roads. Did you experience anything unexpected with those tyres?

If you look at GTO's review, he clearly mentions and appreciates road holding abilities of polo. Below is the extract.



The Polo is fairly wide. The low stance, with wheels placed out at the corners, give it excellent road holding ability
Vinay, I understand. and the car has not done anythign to make me feel otherwise so far. However, GTO did get the 185-60-R15s on his test car. Not that it would have made a huge difference.
Another (and perhaps the main) reason is I have always hated cares with tyres that look skinny. And always loved the cars with fat tyres. That is probably what is swinging me towards upgrading along with some increase in grip, road handlign and safety.

Now while both 195-60-14 and 185-65-14 would keep the outer diameter under the current diameter,, what I am curious to know is:

1. Would 195-65-R14s be OK? This would increase the overall diameter up by about 1.4% - This would be still within the 3% tolerance prescribed by some sites...
2. Woudl these changes increase the weight of the overall wheel+tyre to a point that much more than the original and cause any issues?

thanks in advance for your answers!
84.monsoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 07:46   #1570
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 202
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

IMO with airbags and abs and well deigned crumple zones and steering columns today alomost all hatchbacks are more or less equally safe. sadly all safety features and generally standard only on the top end versions. It is when we are looking at the base models of any vehicle, which do not have the above mentioned safety features, a sturdy well build car from VW or Fiat may feel and atually be more safer than a jap or a korean car of similar features owing to a thicker sheet of metal.
Zero Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 10:42   #1571
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 109
Thanked: Once
Default

@84.monsoon

Check this out at Michelin website. The recommended tyre upgrade its given as 185-65-R14 for comfortline. May be this can help. Its not showing 195-65-R14.

findTyre - www.michelin.in
Subaro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 11:34   #1572
BHPian
 
Vinay-JS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 49
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Vinay, I understand. and the car has not done anythign to make me feel otherwise so far. However, GTO did get the 185-60-R15s on his test car. Not that it would have made a huge difference.
Another (and perhaps the main) reason is I have always hated cares with tyres that look skinny. And always loved the cars with fat tyres. That is probably what is swinging me towards upgrading along with some increase in grip, road handlign and safety.

Now while both 195-60-14 and 185-65-14 would keep the outer diameter under the current diameter,, what I am curious to know is:

1. Would 195-65-R14s be OK? This would increase the overall diameter up by about 1.4% - This would be still within the 3% tolerance prescribed by some sites...
2. Woudl these changes increase the weight of the overall wheel+tyre to a point that much more than the original and cause any issues?

thanks in advance for your answers!
I agree with you that the fat tyres will definitely stand out of the crowd if done sensibly (even otherwise ). If you are going for this option just for looks (with good grip as bonus), then its a personal choice. If not, then I would suggest you to stick to the stocks and observe them thoroughly how they handle (as this is still unexplored area for polo) and then take your decision.

As far as these changes are concerned, yes, it definitely affects the coordination of different parts; if not right now, but at later stages.

The bottom line would be, do not disturb the setup unless you are completely informed about what is involved in it and what impact it may have on other related parts.
Vinay-JS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 13:10   #1573
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 30
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Dear Polo owners,

Have couple of queries regarding insurance ... I am from Blore, am suppose to get my polo in this week.

Question 1:
From where did you take insurance? How much did insurance cost?
Does it cover 100% liability or has some clauses like following ...
1) 50% for plastic, fibre, rubber.
2) Have to pay first Rs. 500 in every claim

Question 2:
For me insuarnce provided by Volkswagen seems costly.
Are there any advantages in taking insurance from Volkswagen itself?

Cheerio ... Yash
yash.giri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 13:31   #1574
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,000
Thanked: 506 Times
Default

Chetan has posted the spare parts comparison report for premium hatchbacks is posted in the following link.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...report-15.html
Polo's position in the list is a point to ponder.
poloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 14:06   #1575
BHPian
 
adi99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 274
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yash.giri View Post
Question 2:
For me insuarnce provided by Volkswagen seems costly.
Are there any advantages in taking insurance from Volkswagen itself?
If you take the insurance from outside, you will miss the the Road Side Assistance provided by VW (As told to me by Sales Rep at VW Downtown, Blore)
adi99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 8611 16th November 2016 12:26
Volkswagen Jetta 1.6 Litre Petrol (Trendline) Test Drive, Review & Photos Karizma Fan Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 40 18th February 2010 20:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:09.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks