Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2010, 23:59   #1696
R17
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 108
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Friend of mine's bought a Polo Highline. He wants to know if he can install a steering wheel remote for the standard Polo Highline Head Unit. Any ideas, folks?

I think the Polo offers a Kenwood system (please correct me if Im wrong), in which case, I would assume that the MPR-99 might serve his purpose. But Im not entirely sure, so over to the more knowledgeable junta.
R17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2010, 08:10   #1697
BHPian
 
luky_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 578
Thanked: 116 Times
Default TD - 1.2 L Highline (Petrol)

Had the chance to test drive a Polo 1.2 Petrol - Highline at Downtown VW.

Nays
1. 1.2L motor good for city commutes, out of breath at higher speeds. Disappointed!
2. Very vocal engine, almost imitates as diesel.
3. Clutch position not very comfortable, oddly placed. Strains the left leg.
4. Cramped rear.
5. Spares at a premium.
6. Extended warranty (AMC) at 20K.
7. Shallow dealer network.

Yeays
1. Nice shape, sharp lines. Solid build.
2. Solid build, doors close with distinctive 'thud'.
3. Interior plastics feel 'upmarket'.
4. Nice cubby holes, bottle holders. Well laid out and thought over.
5. Demo vehicle quite bruised and in bad shape, no rattling evident though.
6. Voluminous 293 ltr boot, impressive boot opener.
7. Slick gear shifter.
8. Attractive dial cluster arrangement.
9. Neatly formatted engine bay.
10.2 yrs, unlimited km warranty.
11.Superb paint finish.

Some light at the end of the tunnel - 1.6L petrol. I was assured would be available for TD by Aug 15. The sales guy was insistent that i book 'without a test drive'. Have put my purchase on hold, awaiting 1.6!

Last edited by luky_13 : 15th July 2010 at 08:20.
luky_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2010, 10:55   #1698
BHPian
 
Vinay-JS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 49
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by luky_13 View Post
3. Clutch position not very comfortable, oddly placed. Strains the left leg.
I bought a polo and the clutch position is perfectly fine. It's not too high. But you have to make sure you have a floor mat (the one provided by the VW with extra padding) underneath.

I can easily play the clutch even with bare foot. In fact it easier than the other cars.
Vinay-JS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2010, 11:05   #1699
Senior - BHPian
 
Amartya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Evanston
Posts: 1,658
Thanked: 219 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinay-JS View Post
I bought a polo and the clutch position is perfectly fine. It's not too high. But you have to make sure you have a floor mat (the one provided by the VW with extra padding) underneath.

I can easily play the clutch even with bare foot. In fact it easier than the other cars.
This is purely down to individual driving positions and has factors like foot size, max. comfortable upward inclination of the ankle etc. I test drove the Polo and felt the same, the car had mats, though mine was a test-drive car and I am not sure whether they were padded or not.. In fact, GTO's review also stated the same.
Even if it's fine, is is not easier than other cars, that's just generalizing it too much.

On the other hand, if you are happy with your car, then nothing like it.
Amartya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2010, 11:27   #1700
BHPian
 
luky_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 578
Thanked: 116 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinay-JS View Post
I bought a polo and the clutch position is perfectly fine. It's not too high. But you have to make sure you have a floor mat (the one provided by the VW with extra padding) underneath.

I can easily play the clutch even with bare foot. In fact it easier than the other cars.
Vinay, i'm 6'2" and found it quite uncomfortable after lot of seat and self adjustment. Nothing against the car its very neatly packaged.
I'm in the market for high Spirited hatchback and my post is in that context. I would say its ideal for city commute - neat, balanced, rugged but barely there in the spirited performer category, so i continue to wait for the 1.6.
luky_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2010, 12:19   #1701
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 109
Thanked: Once
Default

Update on after market ICE to POLO TL & CL. The coupler used in POLO are normal ones which is similar to any other car say i10. However, connection of ICE to antennae coupler couldn't be done as the coupler for antennae doesn't match up. Does anyone able to connect the antennae on after market ICE? Please throw some light on it.
Subaro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2010, 15:38   #1702
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 30
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Hey all ... Got my new polo trendline petrol delivered yesterday. Has got 200 kms on odo now. This is my first car.

Liked ...
1. Fun to drive, good handling on the highways. Cruising at 100+, you wont feel anything inside the cabin.
2. Chilling AC. And the performance with AC on is not affected.
3. Liked the roar of the engine.
4. Slick gear operations.
5. Build quality, you all know.

Didnt like ...
1. Back seats not at all comfortable for 5. Comments please.
2. Clutch highly placed is a pain.(I am 5' 10") Yet to get floor mats.
3. After driving for 30 min, got lower backache.Then as per Chetan's suggestion, pulled the seat back, pulled the steering closer and down. "Inclined the seat a bit backwards" Then the backache subsided.
4. In gear acceleration not so great,but overall acceleration is good enough.

Thanks to TeamBHP, all BHPians and GTO(for a great review) for helping me with suggestions, information and PDi checklist in finding a very good car.

Cheers ... Yash
yash.giri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2010, 15:57   #1703
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 109
Thanked: Once
Default

Hey Yash, Congrats for the car. Start the ownership thread as early as possible & do post some pics and accessories you planning to get. Lastly, what was your booking date?
Subaro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2010, 11:16   #1704
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 42
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Got a magnetic dart board from VW....nice gesture.....would love to have caps or maybe T-shirts instead. The size of gifts are slowly increasing. Eagerly waiting for VW to gift me a 1.2 TSI engine eventually to replace the existing one.
Infantarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2010, 12:29   #1705
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,000
Thanked: 506 Times
Default

Congrats yash.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yash.giri View Post
Didnt like ...

2. Clutch highly placed is a pain.(I am 5' 10") Yet to get floor mats.
3. After driving for 30 min, got lower backache.Then as per Chetan's suggestion, pulled the seat back, pulled the steering closer and down. "Inclined the seat a bit backwards" Then the backache subsided.


Cheers ... Yash
Exactly the problems I faced. So this is a real issue with Polo.
VW should do some thing about this. A real pain in city driving where clutch use is high.
poloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2010, 12:46   #1706
Senior - BHPian
 
m_upreti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mumbai/Medellin
Posts: 1,556
Thanked: 282 Times
Default

Congrates Yash, lucky to have one of the best in class as the first car.

Keep us updated on the performance and the A.S.S.; this will be helpful for benchmarking the car and the company for all of us who are waiting for the Vento to be formally launched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yash.giri View Post
Hey all ... Got my new polo trendline petrol delivered yesterday. Has got 200 kms on odo now. This is my first car.

Liked ...
1. Fun to drive, good handling on the highways. Cruising at 100+, you wont feel anything inside the cabin.
2. Chilling AC. And the performance with AC on is not affected.
3. Liked the roar of the engine.
4. Slick gear operations.
5. Build quality, you all know.

Didnt like ...
1. Back seats not at all comfortable for 5. Comments please.
2. Clutch highly placed is a pain.(I am 5' 10") Yet to get floor mats.
3. After driving for 30 min, got lower backache.Then as per Chetan's suggestion, pulled the seat back, pulled the steering closer and down. "Inclined the seat a bit backwards" Then the backache subsided.
4. In gear acceleration not so great,but overall acceleration is good enough.

Thanks to TeamBHP, all BHPians and GTO(for a great review) for helping me with suggestions, information and PDi checklist in finding a very good car.

Cheers ... Yash
m_upreti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2010, 13:11   #1707
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 30
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Thanks guys!! Will keep you posted about my experience with my polo.

Have some queries ... May be experienced people can suggest me on the following ...
1. What are other polo owners doing to mitigate high clutch issue.
2. Some more suggestions about comfortable seating position. Thanks chetan for you suggestion.
3. Every time I braked hard, the brakes would make a screeching sound, as mentioned by another fellow BHpian. May be because of the preceding water wash?
4. Some queries regarding the accessories ...
a. Is teflon coating required? SP says it will cost 5000/-. Can I get it done from outside? what options?
b. Which sunfilm? And what specification, Considering the night visibility as well/ Is sunfilm required for windshield also(It costs a bomb)?
c. Can I get any parceltray? Or should I get one specific to Polo?
d. Door protectors. I asked for horizontally running door protectors. SP said, they dont have it for any VW cars. They dont provide it. Is door protector not necessary to protect the door? Are there any alternatives?
e. is the inclination of the backseats is fixed? Cant it be modified?
f. I am thinking of getting mudflaps and floor mats from outside, as the dealer has run out of stocks.
g. Music system:- As asked by Subaro123, will we get any couplers to do proper fitment without cutting the wires? I am planning to go for Pioneer 7 series 1-din music system with JLB component speakers(front only), JLB 4 channel amplifier, Pioneer 400 watts speakers(Rear).

Cheerio ... Yash
yash.giri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2010, 13:31   #1708
BHPian
 
rockyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 253
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Is it worth the wait?

Friend of mine is in lookout to buy his first car. He is not a petrol head - just needs a car for practical purpose. But he would like to look beyond Maruti / Hyundai. Liked the Polo very much but the salesman said 3 to 4 months waiting period. But I suspect its more than that. Add to that smart Alec comments my the salesman - "Saar - Actors & Politicians in waiting list Saar, so we can't deliver you earlier Saar". As if we care who is on the waiting list. I really wonder what is VW's sales strategy. Waiitng list = Great car?

Now my friend is test driving the Micra / Figo / Punto / i20 / Vista. Am sure VW will lose lots of Polo customer due to exclusive "waiting period". I feel VW has seriously went wrong with their demand and supply calculations

Some of my observations:

No, I didn't TD just sat and felt it. Looks good but nothing exciting (with lookers like i20, Linea, Beat). The built quality feels like good old Palio (1st gen) heavy and sturdy. Driver seat is comfortable. Rear leg space is decent. Boot quite big for hatch. But overall not premium compared to Fabia or Jazz. I guess the 1.2 petrol engine will be lazy for this bulk (hence the 1.6)

And with so many options now one can't compare to the waiting period of Swift / Dzire days

Is it really worth the wait?

And by the way what is the real world kmpl

Petrol / diesel
city / highway

PS: I hope someone in VW is carefully monitoring this thread.
rockyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2010, 14:33   #1709
BHPian
 
carfanatic007's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 207
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infantarian View Post
Got a magnetic dart board from VW....nice gesture.....would love to have caps or maybe T-shirts instead. The size of gifts are slowly increasing. Eagerly waiting for VW to gift me a 1.2 TSI engine eventually to replace the existing one.
Yeah I too got one yesterday. The dart board is nice and along with the gift is a suggested list of to-do's before you get your Polo, read books you wanted to, watch movies you wanted to watch for a long time and play the dart board . Atleast they know they have goofed up and people are running out of patience. Attaching a bad pic of the board
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-15072010.jpg  

carfanatic007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2010, 16:16   #1710
BHPian
 
crackingride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: bangalore
Posts: 267
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfanatic007 View Post
Yeah I too got one yesterday. The dart board is nice and along with the gift is a suggested list of to-do's before you get your Polo, read books you wanted to, watch movies you wanted to watch for a long time and play the dart board . Atleast they know they have goofed up and people are running out of patience. Attaching a bad pic of the board
If they were serious about being culpable for the delays and lack of patience, they should have put their faces on this. While tongue-in-cheek, it does not in any way raise the level of confidence of prospective buyers getting their order any time soon. People who have already booked might as well kill time and play some darts!
crackingride is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 8614 9th December 2016 13:46
Volkswagen Jetta 1.6 Litre Petrol (Trendline) Test Drive, Review & Photos Karizma Fan Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 40 18th February 2010 20:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:43.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks