Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2015, 18:54   #3541
BHPian
 
pranjal1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Guwahati
Posts: 147
Thanked: 44 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review

So finally sold my Polo Highline today for 4.75 lakhs. Vehicle was purchased in July 2013 and used sparingly for only 3444 kms(final reading).
The vehicle was solid, had mature handling and stable road manners , amazing suspension.

Reasons of sale: single dealer in entire North east, higher maintenance and repair costs, requirement of new vehicle.
pranjal1984 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2015, 20:09   #3542
BHPian
 
Mr.mitsuvolk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Bhopal
Posts: 137
Thanked: 80 Times
Default

Hello Bhpians,
My Polo (P) is now 3 years and 9months old and has completed 58k kms. She has been a true workhorse all this while.
Lately I have been observing a squeaking noise from the front suspensions while going over a speed breaker if the speed is anything more than crawling speed.
I have tried the same speed breakers multiple times and I have observed that this noise is not coming everytime (sometimes not even at speed of 20km/hr).

I will be taking the car for its 4th annual service next week, and will get this issue checked by them as well but I wish to be aware of the possible causes of this noise.

Any inputs will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Mr.mitsuvolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2015, 21:10   #3543
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 19
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.mitsuvolk View Post
Lately I have been observing a squeaking noise from the front suspensions while going over a speed breaker if the speed is anything more than crawling speed.
I have tried the same speed breakers multiple times and I have observed that this noise is not coming everytime (sometimes not even at speed of 20km/hr).
I have also heard some noise coming out of my 10-month old polo. There had been a similar sound earlier in 2 / 3 months. But I got this fixed right away - they straightened out a place near the wheel.

This time the noise has been coming from the back - left side, only when I ride through really bad roads and only occasionally. I had asked the SA last week to check that along with the AC vents, they fixed the AC vents but didn't fix this squeaky thing! Will try and get this checked before my first service!

On a separate note, a/c flap motor had to be replaced as it had some issues and the two vents in the center didn't work! They were replaced under warranty, but took around 3 days as I hear that they would have to remove the entire dash board, etc.
rdeivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2015, 10:29   #3544
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 80
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review

Hi. Urgent info needed. Gave our diesel Polo for 2nd service at 30K reading (18 month old). They are saying they need to mandatorily replace brake pads at 30K and it costs Rs. 8000/-. Is it advisable? Have absolutely no issues with the brakes while driving.

Last edited by nvssudheer : 29th June 2015 at 10:32.
nvssudheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2015, 10:40   #3545
Team-BHP Support
 
Gannu_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Madras
Posts: 4,353
Thanked: 8,055 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvssudheer View Post
Hi. Urgent info needed. Gave our diesel Polo for 2nd service at 30K reading (18 month old). They are saying they need to mandatorily replace brake pads at 30K and it costs Rs. 8000/-. Is it advisable? Have absolutely no issues with the brakes while driving.
It isn't mandatory. Ask them not to do it.

I refused the brake cleaning during the 30k service and the service advisor obliged.
Gannu_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2015, 10:40   #3546
Senior - BHPian
 
Schoudhury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Blore/Dallas-TX
Posts: 1,068
Thanked: 467 Times
Default Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvssudheer View Post
Hi. Urgent info needed. Gave our diesel Polo for 2nd service at 30K reading (18 month old). They are saying they need to mandatorily replace brake pads at 30K and it costs Rs. 8000/-. Is it advisable? Have absolutely no issues with the brakes while driving.
Mandatory !!! , definitely not.

But yes tyres and brakes are very critical parts of a car. I have seen people driving around with tyres which has no thread at all. And in case of an emergency those bald tyres could be dangerous.
Same is the case with brakes pads, so I will advise please get them replaced if they are nearing the end of life. Sooner or later anyways you have to change them, so why take chances. You can ask them to take a couples pictures of the brake pads and send it to you, depending on that you can take a call .

Hope it helps

Last edited by Schoudhury : 29th June 2015 at 10:43.
Schoudhury is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2015, 00:53   #3547
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 162
Thanked: 111 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvssudheer View Post
Hi. Urgent info needed. Gave our diesel Polo for 2nd service at 30K reading (18 month old). They are saying they need to mandatorily replace brake pads at 30K and it costs Rs. 8000/-. Is it advisable? Have absolutely no issues with the brakes while driving.
My reply may be a bit late for you.

I got my 3rd service of Polo done at 34k kms this year. The service advisor checked the brakes (I allowed for tyre removal and brake cleaning service as he said even for checking brakes, tyres have to be dismantled).

Anyway, he mentioned that my brakes are good enough for another 15k kms. So I guess it depends on usage pattern. My primary use is city running, mostly bumper to bumper peak hour traffic which puts low load on brakes due to slow speeds. Also I use engine braking a lot and that may have added a bit to life.

Having said that, the standard replacement cycle for brakes as per VW manual is 30k kms. So if they are worn out or even partially worn but not good enough for another 15k kms, suggest replacing them
vivekz is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2015, 11:55   #3548
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 185
Thanked: 150 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvssudheer View Post
Hi. Urgent info needed. Gave our diesel Polo for 2nd service at 30K reading (18 month old). They are saying they need to mandatorily replace brake pads at 30K and it costs Rs. 8000/-. Is it advisable? Have absolutely no issues with the brakes while driving.
I got the brake pads of my Vento replaced for Rs. 1900, including labor. Don't know where this Rs. 8,000 figure is coming from. Guessing he'll also prompt you to replace the brake discs - and it is way too early for disc replacement. Either ways, as others have mentioned, pads / discs are replaced basis usage, not basis a service schedule.

Also, I'd formally complain about your SA / service station, and stay a mile away from them. They're obviously unscrupulous and out to make a quick buck from you.
bosporus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2015, 22:29   #3549
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 80
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
It isn't mandatory. Ask them not to do it.

I refused the brake cleaning during the 30k service and the service advisor obliged.
Thanks. We asked them not to and they too agreed after checking the parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosporus View Post
I got the brake pads of my Vento replaced for Rs. 1900, including labor. Don't know where this Rs. 8,000 figure is coming from. Guessing he'll also prompt you to replace the brake discs - and it is way too early for disc replacement. Either ways, as others have mentioned, pads / discs are replaced basis usage, not basis a service schedule.

Also, I'd formally complain about your SA / service station, and stay a mile away from them. They're obviously unscrupulous and out to make a quick buck from you.
Yes, it included discs as well. We asked them not to change and they obliged after verifying the parts. Since they haven't insisted, I guess we could give them benefit of doubt on foul play

Last edited by ampere : 6th July 2015 at 23:51. Reason: Merged back to back posts
nvssudheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2015, 12:24   #3550
BHPian
 
lordvader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Noida
Posts: 64
Thanked: 50 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review

Folks,

I'm in the market for a hatchback with a budget of around 6L OTR. After sifting through Team-bhp threads, I finalised the following as my top three:

1. Jazz (I loved the design on older model)
2. Swift (mileage, maintenance)
3. Polo (drive quality, safety features, looker for sure)

I ended up zeroing on Polo, given the new Jazz did not meet my expectations and the model with safety features was out of budget. Swift, although VFM, is too common and polo appears to have a better drive quality.

I'm a new driver and the car would mostly (95% city driving) be used for self and wife. Rear seats will be used sparingly (although I'd like to get a sense of how good/bad the space is based on usage experience). I'm hoping for the best on the maintenance side expenses

I've read mixed reviews for Polo, especially with recent ones being more positive. My first question is - Is it a good decision to buy polo?

Second part of my post is around the offer that I have for polo and would appreciate some suggestions around it.

car model: white polo 1.2P CL
cash discount: 43,000
freebies: mat + mud flap + loose seat covers + car cover

I feel I can get more given its the lean time of year for dealers. Or should I go ahead with what I have?

Thanks

Mods, please delete if you think the question has been repeated.
lordvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2015, 19:53   #3551
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Rajeevraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,960
Thanked: 6,410 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
Folks,

I'm in the market for a hatchback with a budget of around 6L OTR. After sifting through Team-bhp threads, I finalised the following as my top three:

1. Jazz (I loved the design on older model)
2. Swift (mileage, maintenance)
3. Polo (drive quality, safety features, looker for sure)

I ended up zeroing on Polo, given the new Jazz did not meet my expectations and the model with safety features was out of budget. Swift, although VFM, is too common and polo appears to have a better drive quality.

I'm a new driver and the car would mostly (95% city driving) be used for self and wife. Rear seats will be used sparingly (although I'd like to get a sense of how good/bad the space is based on usage experience). I'm hoping for the best on the maintenance side expenses

I've read mixed reviews for Polo, especially with recent ones being more positive. My first question is - Is it a good decision to buy polo?

Second part of my post is around the offer that I have for polo and would appreciate some suggestions around it.

car model: white polo 1.2P CL
cash discount: 43,000
freebies: mat + mud flap + loose seat covers + car cover

I feel I can get more given its the lean time of year for dealers. Or should I go ahead with what I have?
.
On your first question: It is definitely not a bad decision. If you like what it offers and it comes in your budget, definitely go ahead. If you look at sales numbers, in May 2015, the Polo was in the top 20 (17th I think). I think it was the first time (or maybe first in a very long time) that the Polo entered the top 20. So that kind of shows that more people are opting for it.

The service and maintenance experience can be a hit or a miss. Regular maintenance/Service is once a year/15K Km and should not be much different from other cars. Spare parts can be expensive compared to others, but you can take care of that with warranty, Zero Dep insurance and extended warranty.

Rear seat is definitely cramped. But should be on par compared to swift, no where close to the Jazz. I personally switched my booking from a Polo to the Vento purely for the rear seat space and boot. But based on your use case, this should not be a concern.

Cannot help on the offer. But if you are getting a CL for close to 6L, sounds like a good deal to me.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2015, 21:22   #3552
BHPian
 
methecupid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 300
Thanked: 587 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post





I've read mixed reviews for Polo, especially with recent ones being more positive. My first question is - Is it a good decision to buy polo?



Second part of my post is around the offer that I have for polo and would appreciate some suggestions around it.

It's funny that you bring this up, I have had conversations with two colleagues on similar lines in the past week. Whenever they sit in my Polo, they always enquire if I am going to sell it 😁

Like Rajeev answered you very correctly, the only thing that used to mar the otherwise buoyant VW offerings earlier was the perceived expensive servicing. The servicing is not expensive, I spend around 11-12k per servicing, and that will happen only once a year if you are using in the city 95% like you said. Having said that, the parts are expensive, if you compare to other manufacturers (there's a reason why Maruti rules the roost here).

You'll be most well advised to pick up the extended warranty, the coverage is rather good and at troubled times, it becomes a necessity. However in my 4.5 years of ownership, I have only replaced the brake pads and disc once at 32,000 kms (which is not covered under extended warranty).

Since you said you are a new driver, trust me; you will love the cocoon-like feeling in a VW, the solid body gives you stability and protection no car returning 3-4kms/lt more can give you. I was once squeezed by a truck, and the fender just has a 3 inch undulation to show for battle marks.

I am ready to change my car, but I will not surprise myself if I go for another one of these baby tanks.
methecupid is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2015, 21:50   #3553
BHPian
 
lordvader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Noida
Posts: 64
Thanked: 50 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by methecupid View Post
Since you said you are a new driver, trust me; you will love the cocoon-like feeling in a VW, the solid body gives you stability and protection no car returning 3-4kms/lt more can give you. I was once squeezed by a truck, and the fender just has a 3 inch undulation to show for battle marks.
Cocoon-like feeling - Exactly my thoughts after TD!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Spare parts can be expensive compared to others, but you can take care of that with warranty, Zero Dep insurance and extended warranty.
I plan to take zero-dep at the time of sale and follow it up with extended warranty within a year.
lordvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2015, 01:16   #3554
Senior - BHPian
 
Tanveer_2558's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,303
Thanked: 1,235 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review

Spotted a Polo TDI with a konekt badge at the rear, The car also had a sticker at the rear showing, "Car number one". Also another sticker which displayed the power output and engine details. Maybe a variant about to be launched? Attaching a picture as well.

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-img_18031.jpg

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 24th July 2015 at 10:33. Reason: Watermarked the images. Thanks for sharing!
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2015, 01:20   #3555
BHPian
 
methecupid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 300
Thanked: 587 Times
Default Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
I plan to take zero-dep at the time of sale and follow it up with extended warranty within a year.

That should hold you in good stead. Just be mindful of the fact that the price for extended warranty varies depending on the time you get it. I think there's one rate for 0-365 days & then another for the 2nd year. Your dealer can give you a better idea around it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Spotted a Polo TDI with a konekt badge at the rear, The car also had a sticker at the rear showing, "Car number one". Also another sticker which displayed the power output and engine details. Maybe a variant about to be launched?

Great catch Tanveer. The konekt version of Vento was launched a year back. It had a Blaupunkt infotainment system with a plethora of connectivity functionalities like GPS navigation, Bluetooth-enabled telephony in a smart little seven-inch TFT touch screen display on the centre console. The variant should be available very soon, probably a value-addition considering the Jazz VX getting launches with Nav system and i20 touted to get one too. Cheers!

Last edited by methecupid : 24th July 2015 at 01:27.
methecupid is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 8611 16th November 2016 12:26
Volkswagen Jetta 1.6 Litre Petrol (Trendline) Test Drive, Review & Photos Karizma Fan Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 40 18th February 2010 20:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:44.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks