Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2010, 23:07   #751
BHPian
 
khan75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Atlanta/London/Dubai/Delhi
Posts: 371
Thanked: Once
Default

You're quite right. A rough price estimate of the extra stuff that you get in a HL should give you an indication:
Alloys: 15k-20k (price of an average set of alloys)
Chrome interior trim: 500 bucks (DIY)
Livon upholstery: 1000 bucks (maybe?)
ABS: Priceless
Dual airbags: Priceless
Fog lamps: 5000 (estimate for a pair of high end Hellas)
MP3 Player: 5000 (good quality HU)
4 speakers: 4000 (decent quality speakers)
Rear defogger and wiper: 1000 (maybe?)
MFD: 5000 (maybe?)
2 key fobs: 5000 bucks (a good quality setup)

So that's roughly 45K, not including the cost of ABS and airbags. You decide.

I was highly interested in the CL but bought a HL only because of the ABS. 95% of the people drive like drunkards at speeds of over 80 on the road I commute through to work every day so fast acting brakes are an absolute necessity.

Btw, nice looking gunmetal alloys on a silver car look wicked but silver gets kinda lost in the crowd. Let me know if you plan on buying the Euro style headlamps.

Last edited by khan75 : 30th March 2010 at 23:10.
khan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2010, 23:13   #752
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,000
Thanked: 506 Times
Default

In Bangalore the figure quoted is around 600 across 3 dealerships. I really don't know how much this is true and how many deliveries they have made.
Polo looks the best in red no doubt.Silver will make it just another car.
Khan please don't try to estmate the value of features individually and compare TL/HL.
Many of features like rear wiper, interior trims etc are difficult to implement to perfection in aftermarket.

Last edited by poloman : 30th March 2010 at 23:18.
poloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2010, 23:36   #753
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 165
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

well i like red too, but I intend to sell off the car after 2-3 years and i doubt red color would fetch me good price. Everyone in my family is against red, being a bachelor makes it worse to defend. And due to my busy schedule I hardly find time to maintain my car, so silver strikes me. My pluses towards silver are,
- easy to maintain
- good visibility for others in night (I make a 500Km run on NH4 at weekends)
- good resale value
- executive looks (I work at management level and often travel to meetings, social, professional)
- appeals to everyone else in my family
formel_eins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2010, 23:41   #754
Senior - BHPian
 
Amartya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Evanston
Posts: 1,657
Thanked: 219 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Khan please don't try to estmate the value of features individually and compare TL/HL.
Many of features like rear wiper, interior trims etc are difficult to implement to perfection in aftermarket.
I think he is absolutely right to do so, mainly because when a manufacturer does the same, the costs are much lower, purely because of the volumes involved. There are some shops that do a fantastic job, true, they are few and far between, but the manufacturer shouldn't take the customer for a ride just because it can.
Amartya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2010, 23:49   #755
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,000
Thanked: 506 Times
Default

This is a norm that the high end models of all manufacturers will be at a slight premium. They know that features like ABS and airbags are difficult to implement as aftermarket. Personally I shudder at the thought of giving a brand new car outside for even standard jobs like ICE and filming. The workmanship is not guaranteed even with good installers. This itself can induce lot of rattles,scratches,broken plastics etc. I have learnt this from my experience.
poloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 00:00   #756
BHPian
 
khan75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Atlanta/London/Dubai/Delhi
Posts: 371
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by formel_eins View Post
well i like red too, but I intend to sell off the car after 2-3 years and i doubt red color would fetch me good price. Everyone in my family is against red, being a bachelor makes it worse to defend. And due to my busy schedule I hardly find time to maintain my car, so silver strikes me. My pluses towards silver are,
- easy to maintain
- good visibility for others in night (I make a 500Km run on NH4 at weekends)
- good resale value
- executive looks (I work at management level and often travel to meetings, social, professional)
- appeals to everyone else in my family
LOL man some of the reasons you've posted in favor of silver just had me in splits!
I'll be heading back home in Sept/Oct and will sell both my cars out here so why didn't I think about resale values as well?
My "red" Polo gets driven to the corporate offices of two of India's biggest telcos where I meet C and VP level folks every week and the "red" Punto is always parked outside some club during weekends so red is certainly not a taboo.
Do you honestly think anyone could spot the color of a car that's a hundred meters up ahead in the dark? VW makes Reflex Silver, not Reflective Silver. A good set of reflectors and fog lights will make a car more visible than just any color.
Let's face it buddy - you only live once and better yet, you're still a bachelor. Bachelorhood is meant to enjoy life to the fullest without being dragged down by the choices of others. Of course, credit must be given to the opinions of those around us but then you're the one who's going to drive and look at the car every day, not them.
Anyhow, it's your car and your decision, we are merely here to suggest.

Last edited by khan75 : 31st March 2010 at 00:02.
khan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 00:12   #757
BHPian
 
Zen2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 236
Thanked: 17 Times
Thumbs down

First they strip a time tested car, in terms of engine and aesthetic appearance. Then they have the nerve to call it "understated elegance". Since thats not enough, they ridiculously overprice it, just for "brand value".
Now we all know that a car enthusiast will want to enhance the aesthetics, so they decide to milk this to the last drop with expensive "accessories"! I guess the only positive is that they are optional. Now we just have to wait for the A.S.S. surprises.
Zen2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 00:19   #758
Team-BHP Support
 
.anshuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Good-Gaon
Posts: 7,539
Thanked: 7,991 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan75 View Post
You only live once and better yet, you're still a bachelor. Bachelorhood is meant to enjoy life to the fullest without being dragged down by the choices of others. Of course, credit must be given to the opinions of those around us but then you're the one who's going to drive and look at the car every day, not them.
I Absolutely agree with you, This is exactly what i feel when i go shopping for a car.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 00:28   #759
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 165
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

reflective silver nice one, but still I think light colored cars give a good visibility, isnt that a reason for a reduced insurance premium (atleast in Germany). well for the moment its silver for me, i still have time till may, lets see if things change
formel_eins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 01:00   #760
Senior - BHPian
 
Amartya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Evanston
Posts: 1,657
Thanked: 219 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan75 View Post
LOL man some of the reasons you've posted in favor of silver just had me in splits!
I'll be heading back home in Sept/Oct and will sell both my cars out here so why didn't I think about resale values as well?
My "red" Polo gets driven to the corporate offices of two of India's biggest telcos where I meet C and VP level folks every week and the "red" Punto is always parked outside some club during weekends so red is certainly not a taboo.
Do you honestly think anyone could spot the color of a car that's a hundred meters up ahead in the dark? VW makes Reflex Silver, not Reflective Silver. A good set of reflectors and fog lights will make a car more visible than just any color.
Let's face it buddy - you only live once and better yet, you're still a bachelor. Bachelorhood is meant to enjoy life to the fullest without being dragged down by the choices of others. Of course, credit must be given to the opinions of those around us but then you're the one who's going to drive and look at the car every day, not them.
Anyhow, it's your car and your decision, we are merely here to suggest.

Some cars look really good in red. Luckily, you own two of them. Good point about bachelorhood but I think the red is a chick magnet too .
Amartya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 01:06   #761
BHPian
 
khan75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Atlanta/London/Dubai/Delhi
Posts: 371
Thanked: Once
Default

Err umm no comments. That's precisely what I had said in this post:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1811535 (Possibly the cheapest Grande Punto on TBHP? 1.4 EmoPack)

It doesn't attract just the opposite sex, but all kinds of weirdos - wannabe MF Hussains who think red would form a good backdrop of canvas to their very own Mona Lisa, hijras who think the owners of red cars are rich or something and refuse to leave me alone, and bikers who feel zapped by the color and are awoken from their slumber after their bike seemingly taps the car somewhere. I see it happen all the time.

So has anyone else taken delivery of a Polo or am I destined to be the only guy to provide updates on here?

Last edited by khan75 : 31st March 2010 at 01:10.
khan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 08:59   #762
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ/Kerala
Posts: 43
Thanked: 18 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by formel_eins View Post
reflective silver nice one, but still I think light colored cars give a good visibility, isnt that a reason for a reduced insurance premium (atleast in Germany). well for the moment its silver for me, i still have time till may, lets see if things change
No. Cars coloured red, yellow, etc. have a higher insurance premium because they tend to be sportier and driven by younger people who generally cause more accidents and drive rashly. It has nothing to do with the colour per se, but the profile of the people who buy such coloured cars. (I used to work for an Insurance company, one of the biggest in the world).
inwester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 12:22   #763
BHPian
 
Zen2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 236
Thanked: 17 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by formel_eins View Post
reflective silver nice one, but still I think light colored cars give a good visibility, isnt that a reason for a reduced insurance premium (atleast in Germany). well for the moment its silver for me, i still have time till may, lets see if things change
True, but insurance companies (abroad) have come up with all kinds of tricks to jack up premiums (as you may already know). Regarding colours -

White - executive/formal; more prone to theft
Red - Sporty; more prone to accidents
Black (dark colours) - poor visibility at night; prone to accidents

I guess we are only left with weird pink, yellow and green!
Zen2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 13:36   #764
BHPian
 
SoundManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 163
Thanked: 24 Times
Default Maniac Theory of Decision Making

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan75 View Post
LOL man some of the reasons you've posted in favor of silver just had me in splits!
I'll be heading back home in Sept/Oct and will sell both my cars out here so why didn't I think about resale values as well?
My "red" Polo gets driven to the corporate offices of two of India's biggest telcos where I meet C and VP level folks every week

Anyhow, it's your car and your decision, we are merely here to suggest.
Reasons can have us in splits coz they come after the decision has been made!

Look at any of the reasons I may have given - not sure how true they are - coz the decision to go in for a Polo (for whatever reasons) was already made in the heart. Reasons come in only later (only after the heart has decided) to a) convince the mind b) convince others that decision is logical c) posting here to tell others that decision is rational!

Why else do you think reasons like "reflective Silver" and all come?
SoundManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 16:36   #765
Senior - BHPian
 
Chethan B G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,371
Thanked: 638 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen2001 View Post
First they strip a time tested car, in terms of engine and aesthetic appearance. Then they have the nerve to call it "understated elegance". Since thats not enough, they ridiculously overprice it, just for "brand value".
Now we all know that a car enthusiast will want to enhance the aesthetics, so they decide to milk this to the last drop with expensive "accessories"! I guess the only positive is that they are optional. Now we just have to wait for the A.S.S. surprises.
Bangalore dealer gave me the information that Diesel version Polo will be launched by 15 th April. High time for VW to anounce A.S.S package. Also any official news regarding mailage of Diesel Polo?
Chethan B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 8611 16th November 2016 12:26
Volkswagen Jetta 1.6 Litre Petrol (Trendline) Test Drive, Review & Photos Karizma Fan Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 40 18th February 2010 20:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:41.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks