Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2010, 11:01   #1396
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dombivli/Gurgao
Posts: 2,515
Thanked: 989 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It's not unsafe at all. Mercedes Benz (and pretty much every other Euro car maker) use these kind of controls. To "flash your headlamps", simply pull the indicator stalk. The high beam will flash, irrespective of whether the headlamp rotary switch is on or off.
Thanks GTO for the clarification. I personally would still find it odd to have the controls on the dash instead of on the headlight stalk. Personally, do you find it odd to get yourself accustomed to the differently placed controls, since you have a Merc as well as a Mahindra jeep and maybe another set of wheels?

Also any inputs on the bottle holders in the doors?
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 11:15   #1397
Senior - BHPian
 
vasoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Memphis TN
Posts: 1,031
Thanked: 204 Times
Default

Sorry for being OT:

I remember my Amby days, where the headlight and parklight controls are on the dash. There are no stalks on the steering except the gear lever on the left side. I dont think there was a concept of flashing on that car, except by switching on and off the headlights. Aah, I missed out, there was this signal light switch on the center of the steering wheel, a small lever which I can move left or right. And the most interesting part was the beam control, it was a small foot operated switch next to the pedals.

Last edited by vasoo : 31st May 2010 at 11:17.
vasoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 12:23   #1398
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,985
Thanked: 5,020 Times
Default

Indicator switch centre of steering wheel --- I'd forgotten that, but now you remind me, I dimly remember it, going back to the days when direction signals were a small arm, like a railway signal, that came out from the side of the car.

The foot switch... yes, that was the way it was done on all cars of an earlier generation. It works quite well.

All this flashing is a thing of a later generation.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 12:33   #1399
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,558
Thanked: 353 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It's not unsafe at all. Mercedes Benz (and pretty much every other Euro car maker) use these kind of controls. To "flash your headlamps", simply pull the indicator stalk. The high beam will flash, irrespective of whether the headlamp rotary switch is on or off.
It's the same car with most of the other car makers as well right? To flash the headlamps, pulling indicator stalk would be enough no matter headlamp switch is on or off. All the Marutis I've driven has the same feature.

I found it difficult to adjust to fiesta's headlamp rotary switch on the dash.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 16:15   #1400
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 66
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackingride View Post
Err,.. starting from a base of zero, any new product's numbers will grow! Where will it top off is the question.

That apart, what I'm more interested in is what happened to the Blitz we expected from VW. Huge waiting periods are one thing. I can count the number of actual owners of this car on this forum on practically one hand, and most if not ALL of them seem to have nothing to say about their acquisitions once they got them. All the threads have gone dry after delivery.

Anyone home?
I am... home..Finally.. had gone to Srinagar..German beauty rocks..love for the increased every km covered on the highway. Drove the machine on every kind of terrain..Delhi to chandigarh , chandigarh to Jammu , Jammu to Srinagar and then all the way back.
Some observations -

FE (Highway) - varies between 16-17kmpl on plains ( AC 90-95% ON)
- 15kmpl on hills.
The FE remains unchanged with AC ON/OFF.. i could not see much of a difference.

Rear seats are just perfect. The car carried 4 ppl all the time and they had no complaints with the comfort and the AC.

Well i felt a little uncomfortable during night , the angled/aerodynamic screen is a little new to me ( Thnks to WagonR).. my knee was continously battling with the panel .
steve82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 02:16   #1401
BHPian
 
adi99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 274
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Steve, Thanks for sharing the FE figues. Now that you are back, please start a new thread with your experience on ride quality, stablity on highways and power when loaded with 4 people. Its always nice to hear the owners
adi99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 09:26   #1402
Senior - BHPian
 
Chethan B G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,371
Thanked: 638 Times
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve82 View Post
I am... home..Finally.. had gone to Srinagar..German beauty rocks..love for the increased every km covered on the highway. Drove the machine on every kind of terrain..Delhi to chandigarh , chandigarh to Jammu , Jammu to Srinagar and then all the way back.
Some observations -

FE (Highway) - varies between 16-17kmpl on plains ( AC 90-95% ON)
- 15kmpl on hills.
The FE remains unchanged with AC ON/OFF.. i could not see much of a difference.

Rear seats are just perfect. The car carried 4 ppl all the time and they had no complaints with the comfort and the AC.

Well i felt a little uncomfortable during night , the angled/aerodynamic screen is a little new to me ( Thnks to WagonR).. my knee was continously battling with the panel .
Welcome back Steve82. We all missed you!!

Can you try adjusting the driver seat a bit back and then, pulling the steering wheel towards you? Idea is, if the the legs are a bit stretched, knee height will be a bit low and so it may not hit the dashboard that much. Also, you can raise the seat height and see. You may have already done this. I am just sharing my thoughts.

also, go through previous page of this thread and give us your opinion on the water bottle holder!
Chethan B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 21:22   #1403
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 66
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi99 View Post
Steve, Thanks for sharing the FE figues. Now that you are back, please start a new thread with your experience on ride quality, stablity on highways and power when loaded with 4 people. Its always nice to hear the owners
Adi - Pls check my initial review : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1878494 , specific to your query :

The power on the plains was really good , managed to overhaul the peer machines in 4/5th gear without much hassle. Honestly speaking, i didnt expect the response to be so good after reading the initial reviews. But i would rate the car pretty decent.
Hill drive was a pleasure, power steering is simply 10/10.. Apollo tyres do justice on the turns and a well balanced COG machine makes the overall drive perfect. I covered a 100 km strech with 3 ppl at the back , felt no compromise in power , but saw a little dip in FE ( is this possible?).
The top speed - 154kmph. The roar is breath taking..



Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Welcome back Steve82. We all missed you!!

Can you try adjusting the driver seat a bit back and then, pulling the steering wheel towards you? Idea is, if the the legs are a bit stretched, knee height will be a bit low and so it may not hit the dashboard that much. Also, you can raise the seat height and see. You may have already done this. I am just sharing my thoughts.

also, go through previous page of this thread and give us your opinion on the water bottle holder!
CBG - i've done is all..but the knee strike takes away my happiness at times.
Door bottle holder - OK for 1ltr bottle ( not tried 1.5 ltr , but guess shud not be a problem)
Centre bottle holder - OK for glasses, 750ml sippers.

Can any1 tell me where can i get the chrome strips (fixed at the 4 doors entry base) with POLO written on them ? the ones offered by VW showroom are not at all classy.
steve82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 21:56   #1404
Senior - BHPian
 
Chethan B G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,371
Thanked: 638 Times
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve82 View Post
Door bottle holder - OK for 1ltr bottle ( not tried 1.5 ltr , but guess shud not be a problem)
Centre bottle holder - OK for glasses, 750ml sippers.

Can any1 tell me where can i get the chrome strips (fixed at the 4 doors entry base) with POLO written on them ? the ones offered by VW showroom are not at all classy.
This should answer HoneyBee's question. I always thought that the bottle was kept upright. Was confused with his question.

Out side accessories for Polo may not be available so soon. Wait for a few months - You will get great after market solutions.
Chethan B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 00:03   #1405
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,985
Thanked: 5,020 Times
Default

Glad you are happy with your new car

Could you please check something out for me?

I'm looking at warranty terms as part of my run up to a new buy. Could you let us know what fixed/extended warranty VW is giving with the polo? Any longer-term corrosion/bodywork warranty?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 00:07   #1406
Senior - BHPian
 
theragingbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,605
Thanked: 606 Times
Default

It's been over a month since we booked a red Polo Highline but Dad is now insisting on changing the color preference to a metallic paint( that is except red & white, anything else).
Just wanted an advice from you guys on the color. I like pepper grey especially after I saw these pics...

What do you guys think of it?
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-volkswagenpolo3doorimg_1.jpg  

Attached Images
 
theragingbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 07:47   #1407
Senior - BHPian
 
Chethan B G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,371
Thanked: 638 Times
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
It's been over a month since we booked a red Polo Highline but Dad is now insisting on changing the color preference to a metallic paint( that is except red & white, anything else).
Just wanted an advice from you guys on the color. I like pepper grey especially after I saw these pics...

What do you guys think of it?
Pepper Grey and Reflex Silver looks great because of the contrast you get with the blackened bumper parts. You can think about Pearl effect Black also. It looks royal. I will get my Polo in black by this week end. Will post some picks. One thing is for sure. Any color on Polo will look good and will not fade. You can safely go by your individual choice.
Chethan B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 08:28   #1408
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,000
Thanked: 506 Times
Default

Chetan I disagree, Polo looks bland in silver. Other colors matches the personality of the car.
Can any one explain what is 'pearl effect'? How it is different from metallic?
poloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 09:06   #1409
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 66
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Glad you are happy with your new car

Could you please check something out for me?

I'm looking at warranty terms as part of my run up to a new buy. Could you let us know what fixed/extended warranty VW is giving with the polo? Any longer-term corrosion/bodywork warranty?
As of now the warranty offered is 2yrs , though i heard that additional 1yr will be offered in a couple of months ( for about 5-6k).
VW gives 6 yrs anti corrosion warranty.
steve82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 09:20   #1410
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 66
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Pepper Grey and Reflex Silver looks great because of the contrast you get with the blackened bumper parts. You can think about Pearl effect Black also. It looks royal. I will get my Polo in black by this week end. Will post some picks. One thing is for sure. Any color on Polo will look good and will not fade. You can safely go by your individual choice.
Rightly said.. When i booked my polo Pepper grey was not available in CHD , the SP said it would take atleast 6 months henceforth i went ahead and chose reflex silver , quite happy with my decision. Even i feel that POLO looks good in all the color basis one's personal choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Chetan I disagree, Polo looks bland in silver. Other colors matches the personality of the car.
Can any one explain what is 'pearl effect'? How it is different from metallic?
Poloman i disagree , the shine doesnt leaves my car for a second even if its damn dirty , will post some pics as well. Rest, it is a personal opinion .
In a pearl effect paint , a color change is seen when light strikes the surface , color change as in .. it brighten's up and you can actually see the particles moving.. Mettalic has a lesser movement cz the amount of pearl doped is little less.
steve82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 8611 16th November 2016 12:26
Volkswagen Jetta 1.6 Litre Petrol (Trendline) Test Drive, Review & Photos Karizma Fan Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 40 18th February 2010 20:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:48.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks