Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2011, 14:49   #211
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 30
Thanked: 38 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test

Thanks to everyone for their report on A*.

Since I just moved to Kolkata from Chennai and the traffic here is a bit diffferent (shorter distances, more jam and tiny lanes) I need an AT with decent FE and easy maintainance.

Especially because I am trying to convince my princess to actually start driving herself ... (ahhh these spoiled Indian Divas!). She bought a Swift for her parents but since it's manual and people do drive a bit more aggressive here I understand that she would like an AT.

beside i10 (and I really don't like Hyundai) is there any other small car with AT?
YellowEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2011, 15:31   #212
Distinguished - BHPian
 
supremeBaleno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Weekdays@Chennai, Weekends@Kerala
Posts: 5,164
Thanked: 1,633 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test

i10 and A* are the only AT hatch options currently.
The i20 hatch has a 1.4litre Petrol AT option available, but it costs around 7.6lakhs ex-showroom Chennai.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2011, 16:40   #213
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 236
Thanked: 28 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowEye View Post
Thanks to everyone for their report on A*.

Since I just moved to Kolkata from Chennai and the traffic here is a bit diffferent (shorter distances, more jam and tiny lanes) I need an AT with decent FE and easy maintainance.

Especially because I am trying to convince my princess to actually start driving herself ... (ahhh these spoiled Indian Divas!). She bought a Swift for her parents but since it's manual and people do drive a bit more aggressive here I understand that she would like an AT.

beside i10 (and I really don't like Hyundai) is there any other small car with AT?
I would really recommend the A*. The low ownership cost combined with a killer FE tilt the scale towards the A*.

i10AT FE number reported in this forum will drive you mad as well as empty your pockets.
ash_blore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2011, 10:36   #214
BHPian
 
B103's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 365
Thanked: 198 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushir View Post
A lot of TBHP folks are falling for this trick. The remote locking that Maruti installs I guess is AutoCop D30 and 5.5K for it is way too much. I got a slightly higher, more advanced model D50 for 3.2 K flat from a Car Modification Showroom in BLR. It took an hour to install and saved me 2 K. I'm talking about Auto Planet in Koramangala behind BDA complex.
Sushir, the problem is that the car's warranty is voided if you tamper with any of it's electronic circuit. Dealers use this to scare you into going with them.
B103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2011, 18:51   #215
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 30
Thanked: 38 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_blore View Post
I would really recommend the A*. The low ownership cost combined with a killer FE tilt the scale towards the A*.

i10AT FE number reported in this forum will drive you mad as well as empty your pockets.
thank you for your quick response. I also do have two friends driving i10 automatic and are really kinda annoyed by FE figures (city conditions).

Since you dont have our bloved Autobahn (I am from Germany) there is no point talking about serious highway capibilities for such a small hatch :-)

I ll go for a test drive of A*. Regarding i20 I am seriously questioning anyone buying a hatch for that price (even automatic). rather would go for a sedan and paying a bit more.

But seriouosly Maruti comes with the "best" service and spare part price list i believe. Here ini Kolakta I ll surely get at least 1 dent a month
YellowEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2011, 19:54   #216
BHPian
 
B103's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 365
Thanked: 198 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test

Couple of pics -- of my dad's new Astar Auto. Word of caution -- it not the car for those of you who are looking for enough room in rear seat and a descent boot. There is hardly anything called a boot in this car. Probably, it was made for people in Europe and Japan to buy groceries in the weekend or for a similar short drive.

The car that we got had the 'Automatic' badge in the rear. We were praying to get one of this kind as it is assumed that it is primarily build for exporting to Europe. Some Astar ATs also come with Vxi badge in India. This is probably build for India as the Vxi trim is something of local significance for India.

I got the opportunity to drive the car. It is a nice small car to drive. It picks up fast with one or two people onboard but with 5 adults and AC on, the AT gear box seems to be a bit reluctant in fully loaded condition. I had to literally floor the accelator pedal to pick up some serious momentum and perform an overtaking procedure.

The integrated stero is not having a USB port and it was a disappointment. Apart from CD and radio there is an aux port. I don't know what is it used for. The accessories fitted were sun film, reverse parking sensor and central locking. As usual, steering grip, floor mats and mud guards were given for free by the dealer. The car had run 8 kms at the time of delivery.

My dad is a happy with the AT. He had to be educated on the nuances of driving while not having a clutch and gear lever. It is a tension free drive now for him. There is no balancing of clutch and accelerator, no knocking of engine, no abrupt engine switch-offs in mid-town. Just accelerate, brake and steer that is all.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test-imag0202.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test-imag0201.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test-imag0203.jpg  


Last edited by B103 : 5th July 2011 at 20:22.
B103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 11:19   #217
Distinguished - BHPian
 
supremeBaleno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Weekdays@Chennai, Weekends@Kerala
Posts: 5,164
Thanked: 1,633 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test

Congrats B103. Yeah it is a tension-free drive with the AT. Given the MetroRail work in progress all over Chennai, I wish I has the A*-AT in Chennai - creeping in very slow moving traffic is a pain in the left leg.

BTW I sighted a shiny black A-Star with the Automatic and ABS badge driving into the Cars India showroom on OMR near SRP-Tools junction. Not sure if it is a TD car or for-delivery.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 19:08   #218
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 308
Thanked: 142 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test

Would the A-Star Auto be a good daily commuter (TVM city to Technopark TVM) for my 5'2" wife along with my sister (5'6")? Occasional city driving also.
pillainp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 19:13   #219
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 236
Thanked: 28 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillainp View Post
Would the A-Star Auto be a good daily commuter (TVM city to Technopark TVM) for my 5'2" wife along with my sister (5'6")? Occasional city driving also.
As long as your wife doesnt mind sitting at the back

On a serious note, just came back from a short drive where wife (5'6) had to sit at the back. Didnt seem to have an issue. Overall I would say a very manageable situation. go for it.

Only thing is watch out for the low boot space (ahem what boot space!!)
ash_blore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 19:44   #220
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,376
Thanked: 528 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test

Had a quick drive of A-Star automatic in the weekend.
Some observations:
  • Surprising good steering for a electronic power steering unit. Felt well weighted and had good feedback(unlike the ANHC steering I am used to).
  • Too much vibration from the floor, felt like something has gone out of balance (something like a fan rotating with one blade missing). Is it because of 3 cylinder engine or simply there was some issue with the test drive vehicle, we dont know. Vibration went after some time (may be with higher RPM)
  • At low speed the response was very poor, both the throttle response and to kick down (this is very much in contrast with torquy feel of the i10 Automatic)
  • Visibility is not great, especially if you are coming from an i10.
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 20:48   #221
Distinguished - BHPian
 
supremeBaleno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Weekdays@Chennai, Weekends@Kerala
Posts: 5,164
Thanked: 1,633 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillainp
Would the A-Star Auto be a good daily commuter (TVM city to Technopark TVM) for my 5'2" wife along with my sister (5'6")? Occasional city driving also.
I am not sure I understood your query. Is your concern about the height of the passengers (not sure what is the concern there) or about city driving ? Either ways it should do fine as the A* is a good city commuter and an FE one at that too. My wife has driven close to 3K kms in 6months @Kerala - mostly MC Road usage + occasional NH47 usage. I prefer it to the Swift1.3P we have & not just for the AT box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna
Surprising good steering for a electronic power steering unit. Felt well weighted and had good feedback(unlike the ANHC steering I am used to).
I felt the same and loved the steering feel of the A* compared to our Swift.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 21:04   #222
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 362
Thanked: 63 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test

Seeing new ads in the TV for A-star and A-star auto, they quite strange.
In A-Star they show a man appearing from boot is the one very strange as its boot is very small for any grown up man to hide there.
The other one of A-Star auto is quite good.
jacksons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 21:17   #223
Distinguished - BHPian
 
supremeBaleno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Weekdays@Chennai, Weekends@Kerala
Posts: 5,164
Thanked: 1,633 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test

Yeah, that was a stupid ad about "stepney" - another boyfriend jumps out of the boot, after the girl drops the 1st boyfriend (or is it husband?) at work. The boot of the A* lacks depth as it starts higher up compared to other hatches, but I have found it to be enough for the city runs and even a 1-day overnighter that we did.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 21:59   #224
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 362
Thanked: 63 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Yeah, that was a stupid ad about "stepney" - another boyfriend jumps out of the boot, after the girl drops the 1st boyfriend (or is it husband?) at work. The boot of the A* lacks depth as it starts higher up compared to other hatches, but I have found it to be enough for the city runs and even a 1-day overnighter that we did.
Yes I agree with you, boot is good enough for the small grocery for house wives and your small trip to near by town with least luggage but its too small for fully grown up man.
I am enjoying my A-star auto very much because of city traffic and small lanes I am driving into with lot of traffic in Delhi with decent fuel average.
Earlier I used to drive my Wagon R 500 Km maximum in a month and used to think twice before going out but now I am doing 800-900 Km per month and not at all afraid of city traffic. That's the change is very good for my business as well.

Last edited by jacksons : 6th July 2011 at 22:00.
jacksons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2011, 22:07   #225
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Vizag
Posts: 1,980
Thanked: 1,335 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by B103 View Post
The car that we got had the 'Automatic' badge in the rear. We were praying to get one of this kind as it is assumed that it is primarily build for exporting to Europe. Some Astar ATs also come with Vxi badge in India. This is probably build for India as the Vxi trim is something of local significance for India.

I got the opportunity to drive the car. It is a nice small car to drive. It picks up fast with one or two people onboard but with 5 adults and AC on, the AT gear box seems to be a bit reluctant in fully loaded condition. I had to literally floor the accelator pedal to pick up some serious momentum and perform an overtaking procedure.

.
Is there any significant differene between your Export version A* and Indian version? I mean features-wise.

Even big cars feel the strain with 5 up. In fact, if A* is picking up with 5 up and aircon on, then it is indeed very commendable.
pgsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Maruti A-Star review + test Drive sidindica Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 404 18th February 2015 21:46
Experience A-Star (Read: Experience a star) karan1609 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 118 17th November 2012 19:53
Is A-star not a Safe star? sidindica The Indian Car Scene 55 11th July 2010 11:40


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:05.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks