Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2010, 16:37   #376
BHPian
 
nurni76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Gurgaon/BLR
Posts: 842
Thanked: 305 Times
Default

Fantastic review GTO. However, I do feel Tatas have got this wrong. 15L for an MUV, with less of space in the rear,average looks, average interior quality seems to be a sign of disaster for Aria. I sincerely hope I am wrong, but I don't see a rationale for its success
nurni76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 17:08   #377
Senior - BHPian
 
anujmishra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,266
Thanked: 320 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
Please do insist on carrying out a test drive yourself, of your new vehicle as part of the PDI if this is allowed, to ensure that everything's fine with the vehicle (does the PDI happen before the payment or after ?
I do not think taking short test drive before assignment would reveal problems if any to the potentially inexperienced customer with that vehicle. Unless buying customer has considerable experience and driven few of same car, it is very difficult or I say next to impossible.

Whatever noise new customer will listen he will be tend to agree as natural. Aria is new car and better believe on PDI of TATA.
anujmishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 18:11   #378
BHPian
 
rpmx1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 392
Thanked: 29 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
Fantastic review GTO. However, I do feel Tatas have got this wrong. 15L for an MUV, with less of space in the rear,average looks, average interior quality seems to be a sign of disaster for Aria. I sincerely hope I am wrong, but I don't see a rationale for its success
Mate, No offence meant, but I don't believe you have gone through the thread fully
15L may be more, but this car with a H or slanting H or a Toyota would not retail for less than 20L ex showroom. Aria is a lot more than an MUV. No MUV comes with AWD. Looks are subjective, lot of people feel it looks good as well.
As far as interior quality is concerned, I suppose everyone agrees it is the best so far by a Tata. And remember these reviewed pieces were put together hastily because the show pieces were held up due to the truck crash. I saw an Aria at a showroom close by and was simply wowed by
how she looked in the flesh.The interiors were simply awesome. This is no innova competition no matter what anyone may say. It is clearly positioned higher.

About your comment on "less space in the rear". It has the most luggage space and big boot without having to touch the seats. Unlike Innova or Xylo.All said and done, no vehicle in India save the Xylo/Grande MKII has anywhere near decent third row space. So there's no big deal there, really.
rpmx1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 19:14   #379
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: HYDERABAD
Posts: 87
Thanked: 23 Times
Exclamation Tata Aria from a design point of view

Hey guys!
This is my first ever post on Team-Bhp! Yay!!
Ok all joking aside, I thought I might put my head into this 20-odd page debate about the Aria. Now I am an automotive design student so I think I might be able to share some light on some of the design-related controversies. Here's my take on:

a) Ugly rear-end: Since most of the car is very similar to the concept car, my guess is that TML didnt want to invest in another restyle if it wasnt necessary. Its easier, and cheaper, to work with what you have rather than spending another 2 months fixing something for aesthetic purposes.

b)Quality of interiors: Okay here's a little secret. Automobile companies spend literally millions on giving customers the Illusion that their cars are built right. Its called "quality perception" ( check JD-Power ratings). Thats actually a key phrase. Truth is you can't really tell if the cars are made well until you buy them. The only way you can tell is to check in places you wouldnt normally see. i.e the bonnet, under the seats, and other hidden areas. Panel gaps are also a good way since it shows the stamping of the sheet metal and tolerances are consistent. And the biggest controversy of all....*drummroll*

c) 3rd Row Seating: Okay this is a little controversial so try to keep your cool while I lay my theory out. IMO there are two scenarios.

1) 3rd Row Cargo space was a critical design brief: The design brief is the ( Enter Religious Book Here).Many companies go to great lengths to try and keep the final product as close to the original concept as possible. My guess is that one significant demand of TML was to have "x" liters of space behind the 3rd row. Okay, you might ask why dont you put in on the roof then? Good point, but here's a clue. It doesnt have a standard roof rack. My Wagon R has a roof rack, as do many many cars. Maybe the logic was that it was very LS (Low Society) to put your things on the roof in the elements...which does have some merit. Have you seen a Audi Q7 with stuff on the roof?? Exactly.

2)3rd row was a design change: I know I mentioned that the brief was very important, but sometimes designers need to make decisions based on customer expectations. In most western markets families tend to be nuclear and about 2-5 members. So for most SUV's 5 seats will do nicely. India however tends to have more family members per head. More importantly, having more seats makes the car more Practical in the eyes of consumers, making the car more attractive. In fairness, 3rd row seats are VERY VERY hard to engineer, especially 4x4's. Even Range Rover decided against it because they didnt feel the investment was warranted. 3rd rows are almost always cramped to some degree, with exceptions of course. Most car companies plan way in advance to allow the engineers to design a chassis with this in mind.
The new Audi TT's rear seat is actually a joke in the design business, as is most sports cars, convertibles and yes even SUV's. Have a look at Acura's Crossover. The 2nd row is absolutely terrible. So be rest assured this is by no means just a TATA problem. Its an industry-wide challenge.

Some Extra Points:

1) I believe the Aria is VFM considering that it is NOT in the Innova market. The top-end model is a lot cheaper than even the basic versions of Captiva, Endeavor and Fortuner.

2) This Chassis may be used for a new family of SUV's and MUV's, I dont think that family cars and small cars will come out of this, its no impossible, but in this day and age, I wouldnt recommend it.

3) I hate to say this but I think most of the people here (except the reviewers) have not got the real feel of the car. Most of the demo cars have just arrived and as such have not been run-in. So its probably too early to gauge the ride and handling.

4) I intend on buying this car....yup I'm placing my order first thing on Monday. WIll keep you guys posted!!

...so what do you guys think?
crazycardude198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 20:21   #380
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dubai
Posts: 3,840
Thanked: 116 Times
Default

Another site for details on Aria: Tata Aria - The finesse of a Sedan with the muscle of an SUV

And here is a short video of the manufacturing process.

HappyWheels is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 23:40   #381
BHPian
 
gshanky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Coimbatore / Bangalore / New York
Posts: 718
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapss View Post
No product can be called VFM in isolation. It is always relative to the competition. Tata can term the Aria whatever mumbo jumbo they want, the truth is that it is a MUV. The AWD is for better road manners and not for offroad. And the base Aria variant is competing with Innova V as far as the safety features and seating capacity is concerned. I am not including Xylo for its sloppy handling and downmarket interiors. Hell, if Mahindra launch a Xylo with AWD for better handling and refreshed interiors, i would not mind comparing that to the Aria.
For me, if I have a budget of 13 to 14 lacs, I'll go for the Innova V. If I have a budget if 17 lacs, i'll go for the Aria Pride for its safety features and the kit.
I don't see why not (as in calling a product VFM in isolation)? You would get a fair idea of how much it could cost and then the rest of the money is purely for product positioning/brand premium and margins. As I said ARIA does not make Innova VFM. i.e. for anyone who thought Innova does not offer enough for 14 lakhs, ARIA does not change anything.

What is the difference between SUV and MUV? Is that form factor alone?

ARIA does have more "SUV like" features than any other "MUV looking" vehicle in india. May be it could be called poor man's R-Class. More people could drive safely with AWD and IMO that is a better reason to consider ARIA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycardude198 View Post
Hey guys!
This is my first ever post on Team-Bhp! Yay!!
Ok all joking aside, I thought I might put my head into this 20-odd page debate about the Aria. Now I am an automotive design student so I think I might be able to share some light on some of the design-related controversies. Here's my take on:

a) Ugly rear-end: Since most of the car is very similar to the concept car, my guess is that TML didnt want to invest in another restyle if it wasnt necessary. Its easier, and cheaper, to work with what you have rather than spending another 2 months fixing something for aesthetic purposes.

b)Quality of interiors: Okay here's a little secret. Automobile companies spend literally millions on giving customers the Illusion that their cars are built right. Its called "quality perception" ( check JD-Power ratings). Thats actually a key phrase. Truth is you can't really tell if the cars are made well until you buy them. The only way you can tell is to check in places you wouldnt normally see. i.e the bonnet, under the seats, and other hidden areas. Panel gaps are also a good way since it shows the stamping of the sheet metal and tolerances are consistent. And the biggest controversy of all....*drummroll*

c) 3rd Row Seating: Okay this is a little controversial so try to keep your cool while I lay my theory out. IMO there are two scenarios.

1) 3rd Row Cargo space was a critical design brief: The design brief is the ( Enter Religious Book Here).Many companies go to great lengths to try and keep the final product as close to the original concept as possible. My guess is that one significant demand of TML was to have "x" liters of space behind the 3rd row. Okay, you might ask why dont you put in on the roof then? Good point, but here's a clue. It doesnt have a standard roof rack. My Wagon R has a roof rack, as do many many cars. Maybe the logic was that it was very LS (Low Society) to put your things on the roof in the elements...which does have some merit. Have you seen a Audi Q7 with stuff on the roof?? Exactly.

2)3rd row was a design change: I know I mentioned that the brief was very important, but sometimes designers need to make decisions based on customer expectations. In most western markets families tend to be nuclear and about 2-5 members. So for most SUV's 5 seats will do nicely. India however tends to have more family members per head. More importantly, having more seats makes the car more Practical in the eyes of consumers, making the car more attractive. In fairness, 3rd row seats are VERY VERY hard to engineer, especially 4x4's. Even Range Rover decided against it because they didnt feel the investment was warranted. 3rd rows are almost always cramped to some degree, with exceptions of course. Most car companies plan way in advance to allow the engineers to design a chassis with this in mind.
The new Audi TT's rear seat is actually a joke in the design business, as is most sports cars, convertibles and yes even SUV's. Have a look at Acura's Crossover. The 2nd row is absolutely terrible. So be rest assured this is by no means just a TATA problem. Its an industry-wide challenge.

Some Extra Points:

1) I believe the Aria is VFM considering that it is NOT in the Innova market. The top-end model is a lot cheaper than even the basic versions of Captiva, Endeavor and Fortuner.

2) This Chassis may be used for a new family of SUV's and MUV's, I dont think that family cars and small cars will come out of this, its no impossible, but in this day and age, I wouldnt recommend it.

3) I hate to say this but I think most of the people here (except the reviewers) have not got the real feel of the car. Most of the demo cars have just arrived and as such have not been run-in. So its probably too early to gauge the ride and handling.

4) I intend on buying this car....yup I'm placing my order first thing on Monday. WIll keep you guys posted!!

...so what do you guys think?
Thanks for the insights. Which variant are you buying?
gshanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 00:13   #382
BHPian
 
dhuli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 186
Thanked: 39 Times
Default Aria in white

While the debate rages on in whether the Aria is overpriced or not, for what it is offering, leave aside the shades of gray and take a look at the white Aria. Got this picture from Tata Motors sales team in Bangalore.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Aria : Test Drive & Review-whitearia.gif  

dhuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 00:25   #383
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NAMMA BENGALURU
Posts: 5,613
Thanked: 2,436 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuli View Post
While the debate rages on in whether the Aria is overpriced or not, for what it is offering, leave aside the shades of gray and take a look at the white Aria. Got this picture from Tata Motors sales team in Bangalore.
Classy

Today i happened to see 3 Maroon Aria's at Concorde motors, Looked amazing. Maybe deliveries have started.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 00:45   #384
Senior - BHPian
 
harry10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 2,153
Thanked: 458 Times
Default

Yet to see Aria in person let alone TD it but that white is really a looker!
Seems like some one is taking the delivery of it in the pic.
And it looks huge as well.

Are there alloys in top variant?
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 06:53   #385
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: PNQ - PUNE
Posts: 133
Thanked: 32 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuli View Post
While the debate rages on in whether the Aria is overpriced or not, for what it is offering, leave aside the shades of gray and take a look at the white Aria. Got this picture from Tata Motors sales team in Bangalore.
we have booked a silver Aria.. I hope it looks as good

as family members wanted to go for white but I insisted that silver would be safer. Then read the review from motoroids and they had a white Aria which looked killer and now this..

I thought that motoroids people used some really good photography..
psbali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 09:45   #386
BHPian
 
nurni76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Gurgaon/BLR
Posts: 842
Thanked: 305 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmx1000 View Post
Mate, No offence meant, but I don't believe you have gone through the thread fully
15L may be more, but this car with a H or slanting H or a Toyota would not retail for less than 20L ex showroom. Aria is a lot more than an MUV. No MUV comes with AWD. Looks are subjective, lot of people feel it looks good as well.
As far as interior quality is concerned, I suppose everyone agrees it is the best so far by a Tata. And remember these reviewed pieces were put together hastily because the show pieces were held up due to the truck crash. I saw an Aria at a showroom close by and was simply wowed by
how she looked in the flesh.The interiors were simply awesome. This is no innova competition no matter what anyone may say. It is clearly positioned higher.

About your comment on "less space in the rear". It has the most luggage space and big boot without having to touch the seats. Unlike Innova or Xylo.All said and done, no vehicle in India save the Xylo/Grande MKII has anywhere near decent third row space. So there's no big deal there, really.
Absolutely no offence. When I meant rear Space I meant the space in the 3rd row. People in India buy an MUV not for the boot space but more for accommodating people. If one needed more boot space one can go in for a sedan. An MUV with a poor leg room at the 3rd row will find it difficult for a large family.
Also when I say average interior quality, it is relative to cars/MUVs selling between 15-18L. Also AWD etc is not relevant to many consumers. How many actually go offroading but for real enthusiasts. Anyways I hope Tatas succeed but we can see the results 6 months down the line and then see where they stand.
nurni76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 11:15   #387
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Patna
Posts: 41
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Great review GTO. This being my first post on this Forum, i'd also like to say a big hello to all the BHPians.

I wanted to say that though the Air Dam is an aerodynamic device reducing air-flow under the car, it doesn't serve to reduce the drag, rather it'd slightly increase the drag by increasing the frontal area. It's main purpose is to improve the vehicle stability by preventing any vehicle front end lift that would be caused if the air entering the underbody of the car doesn't exit fast enough and build excess pressure under the car.
niteshbids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 12:38   #388
BHPian
 
rki2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 655
Thanked: 133 Times
Default

@ passionate1977
3. Personally I consider all MUV's as TAXI. I would never want to be considered as a Taxi Driver & face frequent stopping by traffic police.[/quote]



In which world are you man. Any way that was a good one.

Last edited by rki2007 : 22nd October 2010 at 12:39.
rki2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 12:59   #389
Senior - BHPian
 
VeluM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,195
Thanked: 555 Times
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobsterB View Post
I have taken ICICI Lombard (from outside) for 39K. Concorde was asking for 50K+ for the same. HDFC Ergo didn't have cashless facility with Concorde here.
Cool saving of at least 12k. That's a good deal! And in my experience, getting vehicle insurance for any new car from the showroom is more expensive than going outside. There are numerous New Car threads with this mentioned, though the saving in those might be lower depending on the cost of the vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobsterB View Post
My vehicle delivery is currently scheduled for Saturday. Selected Night Shade Black, inspected the vehicle.
Congratulations!! Expecting pics, a detailed purchase experience and a new ownership thread. PS. What was your opinion of the fit/finish/quality after inspection (did you do a PDI type inspection or just to see the car)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobsterB View Post
Was told that some one from Tata Motors has to do PDI for the first few vehicles (3 additional days for the person to arrive and do the same).
Now that's not only re-assuring, it is also an indication of how seriously Tata is taking this vehicle. Initial hype might sell a few, but later feedback from those initial buyers will have a big say in building the brand image & impression. Since you're one of the first, hope they keep you happy!
VeluM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 15:50   #390
Senior - BHPian
 
mooza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,029
Thanked: 225 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteshbids View Post
I wanted to say that though the Air Dam is an aerodynamic device reducing air-flow under the car, it doesn't serve to reduce the drag, rather it'd slightly increase the drag by increasing the frontal area. It's main purpose is to improve the vehicle stability by preventing any vehicle front end lift ...
Hey Nitesh, welcome to Team BHP !

That was a nice and interesting piece of information from you, on the Air Dam. Hope to see more of your posts in the coming days

Waiting for some ownership reports now on the Aria, hopefully they should start from the next week !
mooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tata Aria 4x2 : Test Drive & Review Stratos Official New Car Reviews 162 2nd January 2016 15:25
Tata Aria Exterior Grilled: DeINDICAization of the Aria bravo82in Modifications & Accessories 27 26th October 2013 18:33
I spotted a Left Hand Drive Tata Aria iSpoke The Indian Car Scene 11 7th March 2012 14:25


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:07.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks