Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 26th August 2013, 11:44   #1741
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Don't coast in neutral, but coast in gear. When you are coasting in gear, modern ECUs cut off fuel supply to the engine. When coasting in gear the engine consumes even lesser fuel than when the engine is idling . Also coasting in neutral is not very safe, as you will not be able accelerate quickly if the conditions demand it.
When you coast in gear, your hardly coast because you slow down a lot faster due to engine braking. I don't see any harm in coasting in neutral if lets say you are approaching a turn and instead of braking right at the end wasting kinetic energy to heat, just coast and slow down while your approach the turn.
extreme_torque is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2013, 12:12   #1742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
When you coast in gear, your hardly coast because you slow down a lot faster due to engine braking.
Depends on which gear the vehicle is in. Higher gears will allow coasting with lesser braking effect, while lower ones will slow the car down quickly. When going down a flyover or even on a flat road for instance, coasting in 4th or even 5th with the foot off the throttle lever won't lose much momentum. Coasting in gear will also enable higher fuel efficiency than when coasting in neutral. I had once shot a 2-minute video of the Instantaneous fuel consumption on the MID and how it varies when the car (T-Jet) is coasting at different speeds in neutral, versus clutching, versus when coasting in gear. Will try to post it here sometime soon.

Quote:
I don't see any harm in coasting in neutral if lets say you are approaching a turn and instead of braking right at the end wasting kinetic energy to heat, just coast and slow down while your approach the turn.
There is no harm, but doing this same deceleration with engine braking not only turns out to be more fuel efficient (and safer) than the neutral method, but also reduces the wear on the brake pads.

Last edited by KarthikK : 26th August 2013 at 12:14.
KarthikK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2013, 12:14   #1743
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When you coast in gear, your hardly coast because you slow down a lot faster due to engine braking. I don't see any harm in coasting in neutral if lets say you are approaching a turn and instead of braking right at the end wasting kinetic energy to heat, just coast and slow down while your approach the turn.
These days the way the engines are designed there's very less engine braking. In my experience with the Laura TSI (turbo petrol, like the Tjet) there's hardly any engine braking in gears 3 and above. At speeds like 40 to 60 pkh in 3rd, 60-100 kph in 4th there is absolutely no engine braking. And when you coast at these speeds in gear, you can check the instantaneous fuel cons on the MID. It shows zero, which is less than the idling fuel consumption. There's been a lot of discussion on this subject in this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...save-fuel.html (Does coasting save fuel?).

Coasting in neutral while approaching a turn is not a safe practice IMO. Its against the law in some countries!
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2013, 12:19   #1744
BHPian

Quote:
Coasting with Engine engaged will let the engine run for little or no fuel. Thus, you are converting speed (instead of fuel) to engine sustenance. As a bonus, you also let the aircon compressor, alternator, HPS (Linea uses HPS, right?) unit all run off the excess speed you want to get rid off. Coasting in neutral means that car is bleeding speed only to the air (and wheel) resistance. Compressor, Engine, alternator, HPS unit all running off the petrol.
As an added bonus, engine is already engaged (and possibly in turbo zone), ready to propel you from the apex of the turn.
allajunaki is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2013, 12:51   #1745
Senior - BHPian

I know and i typically dont when the conditions prior to switching off are like that but with the T-Jet i have just got into this habit now consciously and will stick to it - anyway it takes me sometime to get the bag etc out of the car , collect other things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
There is no real need for engine idling for turbo spin down if the last km or more of the drive has been under 2000rpm. Chances are that the last bit of your drive leading to the parking is under 1500rpm. I let the fan run if it does kick in and this runs for about 20 seconds.

Last efficiency update on my car was 11.45kmpl tankful to tankful method. 70:30 City:Highway use.
puchoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2013, 17:41   #1746
BHPian

I have driven my T-Jet for around 100 KM and the MID shows 12.2 kmpl as the average consumption with 75% AC - pure Coimbatore city driving. Interestingly the instantaneous consumption says 6 kmpl under hard acceleration in lower gears and goes up to 32 kmpl when cruising in 5th gear with occasional gentle accelerator taps.

I have been driving a Swift Diesel over the last 5 years pretty aggressively and I drove my T-Jet in a very similar "not so sedate" fashion. Just to give you an idea, I was getting around 17 kmpl in my Swift.

Prior to Swift, I had a Siena 1.6 Petrol and I very rarely got anything more than 10 kmpl. Compared to Siena I feel that Linea is very efficient.
ece2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2013, 11:48   #1747
BHPian

There seems to be a ridiculous amount of delay in T Jet delivery due to some production issues. If anyone can shed some light on this, it would be great. I have been waiting for 7 weeks or so now. I was promised mid of August delivery, now we are looking at mid of September!
shreeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2013, 12:45   #1748
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreeda View Post
There seems to be a ridiculous amount of delay in T Jet delivery due to some production issues. If anyone can shed some light on this, it would be great. I have been waiting for 7 weeks or so now. I was promised mid of August delivery, now we are looking at mid of September!
Is the delay in delivery associated with any particular color?? As far as I know, they manufacture the different models in batches, with the T-Jet probably being given lesser priority than the faster selling MultiJets. Probably the color you asked for is sold out / out of stock, so you're put on the wait list until the next batch of T-Jets are getting ready. Just a guess.
KarthikK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2013, 13:48   #1749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Is the delay in delivery associated with any particular color?? As far as I know, they manufacture the different models in batches, with the T-Jet probably being given lesser priority than the faster selling MultiJets. Probably the color you asked for is sold out / out of stock, so you're put on the wait list until the next batch of T-Jets are getting ready. Just a guess.
That is exactly what I am hoping for too! According to them HH black is rare, so takes time. But more than 2 months of waiting is not very convincing for me.
shreeda is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2013, 13:58   #1750
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I cant be sure, but I had read in an interview with FIAT India head that as of now they are making cars pretty much on order basis. Volumes are just too low to be piling up on inventory and their plant is running at very low capacity right now.

Overall, there may be some issue on the part of the dealer, which he is pawning off to FIAT. Do try and contact FIAT officials directly and try to find out the reason for delay.
julupani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2013, 14:24   #1751
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
I cant be sure, but I had read in an interview with FIAT India head that as of now they are making cars pretty much on order basis. Volumes are just too low to be piling up on inventory and their plant is running at very low capacity right now.

Overall, there may be some issue on the part of the dealer, which he is pawning off to FIAT. Do try and contact FIAT officials directly and try to find out the reason for delay.
I was able to peek into their ordering system. It looks like my car still in production, but I don't know how long it will take to get into transit. You're right, may be I can try calling FIAT directly.
Old 28th August 2013, 19:33   #1752
Senior - BHPian

If you have read my review , they did the same thing with me , i was promised delivery on a certain date and little while before they called and said Oceanic Blue is not being produced in the current batch etc and i will need to wait for an additional 15-20 days or something , escalated it within the dealership and also wrote to Fiat and in 2 days i had a confirmation that i will get it in time , got the sales/billing docket number and the car came on the day it was supposed to originally.

Quote:
That is exactly what I am hoping for too! According to them HH black is rare, so takes time. But more than 2 months of waiting is not very convincing for me.
puchoo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2013, 09:30   #1753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
If you have read my review , they did the same thing with me , i was promised delivery on a certain date and little while before they called and said Oceanic Blue is not being produced in the current batch etc and i will need to wait for an additional 15-20 days or something , escalated it within the dealership and also wrote to Fiat and in 2 days i had a confirmation that i will get it in time , got the sales/billing docket number and the car came on the day it was supposed to originally.
I have logged a complaint with the customer care. Hoping for a response from FIAT. Did you pull a different string in your case? If so, I would like to try that too.
Old 29th August 2013, 10:34   #1754
Senior - BHPian

No Different strings but i did have one strong thing working in my favor which was that i was the first person in the country to have booked a T-Jet and had also inaugurated the car - so PR wise it would have been quite sticky for fiat if i cancelled my booking - atleast i am assuming that this might have been the reason

Quote:
I have logged a complaint with the customer care. Hoping for a response from FIAT. Did you pull a different string in your case? If so, I would like to try that too.
puchoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2013, 17:13   #1755
Senior - BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post the same message across various forum threads. This counts as SPAM. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd September 2013 at 14:29.
djay99 is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction