Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2014, 23:07   #2206
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: gurgaon
Posts: 453
Thanked: 414 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
Guys, I don't want to start another round of "my poor FE", but I found this interesting:

I guess it's a trade off between grip and rolling resistance. I'll take the grip any day.
Hi Teacher!

I am getting around 10 km to the litre here in Delhi-Gurgaon traffic (which is nowhere near as tough as Bangalore or Mumbai), AC on throughout, on the brand new T-jet. I am not too fussed in any case, since the running's limited. But I am relishing the exploratory learning-to-sync with this engine.

The Linea T-jet is as close to automotive joy as a 'middle-class' person can ever hope to attain in India. But you know that already, no?
desdemona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2014, 02:51   #2207
Senior - BHPian
 
khoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dilli
Posts: 2,722
Thanked: 1,248 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

So I did the fuel run late last night. Took the TJet+ to the Flight Lt. Ajay Ahuja HP fuel station in Ohkla and got her a tank full. The Jet+ now close to 10K Kms was smooth as ever intact smoother than I could remember and I enjoyed letting it fly around from Okhla to Tuglakabad fort, back towards Tara apartments & onward home. The Jet+'s mill continues to open up as the numbers add up and I am given to understand that somewhere around the 15K kms it will really be smoother than ever and in a different league altogether. The handling is as taut as when I did a quick left right flick @ nearly 110 odd kmph to avoid a calf that pranced on to the Kishangarh Jaipur Expressway while I was flying the Jet+ home on it's maiden flight from the dealership in Bombay and that was in 2012. The brakes are sharp the gears slot easily/precisely, the aircon is a chiller and the ICE well after the right stuff went in it is awesome even though I have retained the OE head unit as I could not bring myself to spoil the way the interiors look.

Got home parked the Jet and then took the Cedia to the IOC bunk @ Nehru Place for a tank full of 93 ON and guess what, even though it has been more than a month since I drove the Cedia within the first couple of turns it had wiped the slate clean of any traces of the Jet+'s capabilities and it was the Cedia all over again. Did a quick run around and before I realised it I was nearly 6 miles from home. The Cedia does that to you, it just makes you want to drive on and on.

The Jet is good no doubt, in fact it is very good but then it will never be a Mitsubishi.

Last edited by khoj : 13th May 2014 at 02:52.
khoj is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2014, 09:40   #2208
BHPian
 
TheTeacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Space-Time
Posts: 477
Thanked: 314 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

Yes Desdemona, that's why I bought the T-Jet! I guess you're still running the NCT5s? They're a bit harder and probably have much lower rolling resistance.

khoj, thanks. Unfortunately, I've never driven a Mitsu. Actually, never even sat in one. Too bad they screwed up their business in India despite being here early.

In my humble opinion, having driven both manuals and automatics, a well designed and made automatic is a far superior experience to manuals. Especially in situations like a hairpin bend where you're turning as well having to shift down. Even in daily situations like turning into the road where I live - it's an incline, and if I have to stop to turn, then I have to shift from first to second midway into the turn. A good automatic would handle this much faster than I can, and the turn itself would be smoother.

The Tjet just begs for a good automatic. A skilfully designed and built 5-speed automatic that keeps the engine in the right rpm band all the time would have been fantastic in this car. A 6-speed auto would be heaven.

Trust Fiat marketing types to not have a clue about configuring and positioning their otherwise awesome products.
TheTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2014, 10:23   #2209
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 531
Thanked: 350 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

Would someone please tell me the RPM in a TJET at different speeds?
80 KMPH in 5th gear
80 KMPH in 4th gear
60 KMPH in 4th gear
60 KMPH in 4th gear
Just need this information to understand it better. As this information is no where specified, requesting you guys. Thanks.
gemi_kk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2014, 17:16   #2210
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: gurgaon
Posts: 453
Thanked: 414 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
Yes Desdemona, that's why I bought the T-Jet! I guess you're still running the NCT5s? They're a bit harder and probably have much lower rolling resistance.


The Tjet just begs for a good automatic. A skilfully designed and built 5-speed automatic that keeps the engine in the right rpm band all the time would have been fantastic in this car. A 6-speed auto would be heaven.

Trust Fiat marketing types to not have a clue about configuring and positioning their otherwise awesome products.
Yes, sticking with the NCT5-s.

Here in Delhi-Gurgaon, I do not feel the need for an automatic on the T-jet. The roads I travel and the times I travel on them leave me perfectly happy with the t-jet's low-gear torquey-ness, its reduced demands for gear shifts.

The Fiat rep who visited me, like they've visited every new Linea buyer apparently, was told about the need for at least the Dualogic AMT, if not the dual clutch DDCT.

There is a rumour I've heard that the latter if not also the former are under ACTIVE consideration by Fiat India, and will hopefully make it to market this years itself, say around the Avventura launch in October. More likely: next year, starting with the I mada-in-Ranjangaon Punto Abarth t-jet?

Last edited by desdemona : 13th May 2014 at 17:18. Reason: incomplete
desdemona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2014, 17:35   #2211
Senior - BHPian
 
theexperthand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,325
Thanked: 1,023 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
The Jet is good no doubt, in fact it is very good but then it will never be a Mitsubishi.
OT: You have two of my dream cars - If it was not for my diesel addiction, I would have brought a Cedia eyes closed instead of my Punto.
--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2014, 16:11   #2212
Senior - BHPian
 
khoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dilli
Posts: 2,722
Thanked: 1,248 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

To tell you the truth, it was a diesel Punto that was the inspiration to buy a Fiat and it's owner (fellow BHPian Parimal_G) the driving force behind the whole exercise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
OT: You have two of my dream cars - If it was not for my diesel addiction, I would have brought a Cedia eyes closed instead of my Punto.
--Anoop


I have not really made a note of the RPM per se but I usually upshift at 1400 odd RPM and do not take the rotations beyond 2000, so the figures below are sort of extrapolated but should not be too much off the mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
Would someone please tell me the RPM in a TJET at different speeds?
80 KMPH in 5th gear 2000 RPM
80 KMPH in 4th gear 1800 RPM
60 KMPH in 4th gear 1600 RPM
60 KMPH in 4th gear 1500 RPM
Just need this information to understand it better. As this information is no where specified, requesting you guys. Thanks.

Well, let's leave the business to the boffins both at Mitsu & at HM

The other part of your post(quoted below) evoked fond memories from a decade ago and brought a huge grin to my face. I beg to differ from your stand point completely. Will elaborate later with very specific reference to a couple of turns on the Bombay Poona expressway which offer the scenario exactly as is described in your post with the addition of going up or downhill. I hope you have driven on the above road 'cause then you will be able to identify the exact section that I will refer too. If not, never mind I am sure the gist of what i will explain will be good enough. Until then, Ciao

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
khoj, thanks. Unfortunately, I've never driven a Mitsu. Actually, never even sat in one. Too bad they screwed up their business in India despite being here early.

In my humble opinion, having driven both manuals and automatics, a well designed and made automatic is a far superior experience to manuals. Especially in situations like a hairpin bend where you're turning as well having to shift down.

Last edited by khoj : 14th May 2014 at 16:25. Reason: responding to additional posts
khoj is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2014, 19:00   #2213
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: gurgaon
Posts: 453
Thanked: 414 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

Hi Guys. As you might know I recently acquired a sunbeam gold New Linea T-jet, and am keeping the 2010 BNW Linea 1.4 Fire for a few years yet! And so, I thought i'd share a thought or two on the facelift/exterior design changes (the new Linea's interiors are subtle, resonant, delightful, and ooze quality, instead of the somewhat functionalist design of the previous edition.)

Most people less-conversant with car designs that I've met so far find the facelifted design more impressive, radiant, premium. And there is no denying that the tasteful enough use of chrome, front and rear, and the brilliant new alloys have much to commend them, which is why we didn't hesitate on this count to buy the new Linea. Also, the changes have made it look like a different car altogether, which is no bad thing considering the old Linea design's been around for five years now.

Except: the old design managed to accentuate both the length and width of the car, while the changes on the new one only make the car look its actual size. The old front maserati-esque grill-snout, and the shapely swept up and back headlamps made the car look ever so looong, and therefore effortlessly DYNAMIC, go-getting. There still is no greater sight to behold on Indian roads than to see, from a front 3/4 angle, a pre-facelift Linea at speed! In that sense I do envy T-jet owners of the previous design!

From the rear, my 2010 Linea has a clean back, with beautifully detailed and shaped taillamps at the extremities. That always made, by deliberate design i am sure, the car look much wider than it actually was. The much busier new rear end has lost some of that effect.

All told, then, the earlier design will prove ageless, and a major milestone in the history of car design in India. And yet: there is no denying the sumptuousness that the new styling has imbued the Linea with.

Cheers
desdemona is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2014, 09:31   #2214
BHPian
 
GrammarNazi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 993
Thanked: 1,534 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

I got this chrome strip put from FASS. It's offered in the Fiat 'Absolute' edition and I've seen a similar strip in Skoda Superb.

Its labelled 'Boot Lid Chrome Strip'. Part No: 59117413. Costs 200/-.

Expected it to be a metal/hard plastic strip actually, this is like a 20mm silver rubber/plastic sticker ~2mm thickness. FIAT should rightly label it as "Plastic Silver Strip".

Anyway, looks ok
Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-plastic-silver-strip.jpg

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 17th May 2014 at 09:40.
GrammarNazi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2014, 23:32   #2215
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: gurgaon
Posts: 453
Thanked: 414 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

The legend of the Linea T-jet is growing, steadily! (far more than its sales, it goes without saying)

Or so it would seem if you consider the lane on which I live and the lane behind us. That's three new, as-resplendent-as-they-are-powerful Indo-Italian beauties in two weeks.

What is funny though is that I'd never have guessed such a concentration of Fiat owners was possible here. And what's funnier: the monthly sales chart will still show a puny offtake of a few hundred all-India!

This opens up the prospect of forming not a very puny fiat fan club but a consumers' union to strongarm the local dealer/FASS. ;-)
desdemona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2014, 14:12   #2216
BHPian
 
xaero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Noida
Posts: 80
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

Dear desdemona, by any chance did you ask or the Fiat rep comment if they are planning to launch FIAT certified ECU remaps or performance kits for the T-Jet in India. Sometime last year there was a vague mention of the same in a forum, that Fiat might launch aftermarket performance kits for the T-Jet line of cars after launching or before launch of the ABARTH cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desdemona View Post
The Fiat rep who visited me, like they've visited every new Linea buyer apparently, was told about the need for at least the Dualogic AMT, if not the dual clutch DDCT.

There is a rumour I've heard that the latter if not also the former are under ACTIVE consideration by Fiat India, and will hopefully make it to market this years itself, say around the Avventura launch in October. More likely: next year, starting with the I mada-in-Ranjangaon Punto Abarth t-jet?
xaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2014, 16:45   #2217
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: gurgaon
Posts: 453
Thanked: 414 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaero View Post
Dear desdemona, by any chance did you ask or the Fiat rep comment if they are planning to launch FIAT certified ECU remaps or performance kits for the T-Jet in India. Sometime last year there was a vague mention of the same in a forum, that Fiat might launch aftermarket performance kits for the T-Jet line of cars after launching or before launch of the ABARTH cars.

Hi. No I did not, since she was the one asking the questions. She is part of some sort of market research and analysis firm hired by Fiat. Even if I had I doubt she'd know. Moreover, I like the T-jet as is!

I suspect the performance kit stuff you refer to will become available only after the Abarth Punto T-Jet launches next year. I doubt, though, that the Linea will be included. It will be some sporty, Abarth-like livery for the ordinary (new) Punto, not official fiat remaps?

Btw, have you seen Karthikk's thread, he owns a t-jet and has also kitted out his Punto superbly?

Last edited by desdemona : 20th May 2014 at 16:46. Reason: spelling
desdemona is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2014, 16:59   #2218
BHPian
 
xaero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Noida
Posts: 80
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

I actually did not refer to Karthikk's thread , but for my T-Jet , I talked to one guy for the ECU remap, he was asking for 29k which I felt was way too expensive and I feared spoiling the lovely ride a T-Jet already is.
The only safest option is to have a free flow exhaust plus conical air filter system (which I again inquired about at Autopsyche once) costing 9k. But I somehow felt that I would prefer to wait for official Mods from FIAT and not tamper with the vehicle atleast till its in warranty. The speedracer in me says : "Go and add more BHP" whereas the gentleman in me says: "The car is fine , do not tamper with it" .
BTW, an OT question to you desdemona: Have you got any services done for your T-Jet standing in front of the service people or you prefer leaving it behind for service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by desdemona View Post
Hi. No I did not, since she was the one asking the questions. She is part of some sort of market research and analysis firm hired by Fiat. Even if I had I doubt she'd know. Moreover, I like the T-jet as is!

I suspect the performance kit stuff you refer to will become available only after the Abarth Punto T-Jet launches next year. I doubt, though, that the Linea will be included. It will be some sporty, Abarth-like livery for the ordinary (new) Punto, not official fiat remaps?

Btw, have you seen Karthikk's thread, he owns a t-jet and has also kitted out his Punto superbly?
xaero is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2014, 17:13   #2219
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: gurgaon
Posts: 453
Thanked: 414 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaero View Post
I actually did not refer to Karthikk's thread , but for my T-Jet , I talked to one guy for the ECU remap, he was asking for 29k which I felt was way too expensive and I feared spoiling the lovely ride a T-Jet already is.
The only safest option is to have a free flow exhaust plus conical air filter system (which I again inquired about at Autopsyche once) costing 9k. But I somehow felt that I would prefer to wait for official Mods from FIAT and not tamper with the vehicle atleast till its in warranty. The speedracer in me says : "Go and add more BHP" whereas the gentleman in me says: "The car is fine , do not tamper with it" .
BTW, an OT question to you desdemona: Have you got any services done for your T-Jet standing in front of the service people or you prefer leaving it behind for service.
Always be a gentleman. Or at least appear to.

In that spirit I have no knowledge of appropriate performance mods for the T-jet, which compared to my 2010 1.4 Fire is performance modded enough for me!

It's either me or my stern elderly father who's always there while service is done. The t-jet's brand new, so...I figure more than anything else, it is important to cultivate relationships with the technicians, SAs, and managers of the ASS centre. We already have 2 Fiats before the T-jet, so i would hope our old relationship with FASS here, and with Fiat India means something.
desdemona is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2014, 17:26   #2220
BHPian
 
Biraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NCR
Posts: 545
Thanked: 959 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaero View Post
The speedracer in me says : "Go and add more BHP" whereas the gentleman in me says: "The car is fine , do not tamper with it" .
Do you really feel the need for improving the performance? I purchased an ELM327 scanner and started monitoring the power and torque figures. It seldom crosses 110 NM (torque) and 30 BHP (power). Even the power is available at fairly low RPM thus, the bottom-end also doesn't require any major tweaking. IMHO, remap/performance upgrade aren't really required on the T-jet, unless you intend to use it exclusively for track days at BIC. For which, you will have to go much beyond FFE and remap.

Get yourself a scanner and monitor the figures. You will be as surprised as I was to find that we don't even utilise 50% of the available torque and power.
Biraj is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Terrestrial Fighter Jet : Fiat Linea T-Jet+. EDIT: 3 years, 4th Service completed KarthikK Long-Term Ownership Reviews 220 8th April 2015 00:19
Renaissance of my JET - White FIAT Linea T-Jet+ (27,000 Kms Up) Sathya_sc Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 225 4th August 2014 20:29
Fuelled FIRE into my (T)JET - The Fiat Linea T-Jet bnzjon Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 123 12th May 2013 00:16


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:07.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks