Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2014, 17:33   #2221
BHPian
 
xaero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Noida
Posts: 79
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

Thanks a lot for your valuable inputs buddy, loved the in-depth technological explanation. I might as well think of saving up bucks and not spoil the already wonderful car the T-Jet already is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
Get yourself a scanner and monitor the figures. You will be as surprised as I was to find that we don't even utilise 50% of the available torque and power.
xaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2014, 19:35   #2222
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 54
Thanked: 22 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

Dear Fellow Bhpians, I have a Jan 2014 tuscon wine T-JET old model and I am loving it! Although I do feel in the bangalore traffic at peak hours it is a little difficult to drive particularly when you down shift on a large speed breaker the power in second gear has a definite lag. Is there a way to add more torque at lower rpms to help get rid of this small irritant? Thanks in advance.

cheers!
Higgs_Boson_i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2014, 21:19   #2223
BHPian
 
Guite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Noida, NCR
Posts: 444
Thanked: 161 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
I purchased an ELM327 scanner and started monitoring the power and torque figures. It seldom crosses 110 NM (torque) and 30 BHP (power). Even the power is available at fairly low RPM thus, the bottom-end also doesn't require any major tweaking.
Is it possible to generate a power and torque curve from the scanner? On the other hand it would be interesting if you could manually note down torque at 250 rpm increments and share the figures with us.
Guite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2014, 16:16   #2224
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 6,250
Thanked: 5,412 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaero View Post
...I talked to one guy for the ECU remap, he was asking for 29k which I felt was way too expensive and I feared spoiling the lovely ride a T-Jet already is.

....But I somehow felt that I would prefer to wait for official Mods from FIAT and not tamper with the vehicle atleast till its in warranty...
30K for a remap for a Linea is a fair cost and nothing over the top. And I am confused on your statement of "spoiling a lovely ride..."! A remap would NOT change the ride and handling spec of a car. As long as you get it done from a reputed guy, a remap is less likely to cause any trouble.

If you feel 29K is too costly for a remap, if Fiat launches it ever, do NOT expect them to keep it any lower than a 40-50K ! OEM prices will go thru the roof.
swiftnfurious is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2014, 16:22   #2225
BHPian
 
xaero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Noida
Posts: 79
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

Thanks for the reply swiftnfurious, I know that the remap would not change the ride and handling , but then in my mind its not clear as to what would be the effect on the engine, performance and efficiency after the remap. Do you have an experience of remapping a vehicle and its good and bad after effects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
30K for a remap for a Linea is a fair cost and nothing over the top. And I am confused on your statement of "spoiling a lovely ride..."! A remap would NOT change the ride and handling spec of a car. As long as you get it done from a reputed guy, a remap is less likely to cause any trouble.
xaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2014, 16:27   #2226
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 6,250
Thanked: 5,412 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaero View Post
Thanks for the reply swiftnfurious, I know that the remap would not change the ride and handling , but then in my mind its not clear as to what would be the effect on the engine, performance and efficiency after the remap. Do you have an experience of remapping a vehicle and its good and bad after effects.
I do NOT have any personal experience, but some of the threads here have instilled a lot of confidence over time. Initially even I was skeptical about this and the negatives (that may have ) associated with the engine, but we have Rapid, Punto, Polo GT TDi etc on this forum running good after a remap. As I said, a good & reputed tuner would NOT allow the limits to be tested but will make sure the tuning is kept within the acceptable limits.

From a very conservative mindset, I am quite open to the idea of remapping my next (new) vehicle if it's power does NOT live upto my expectations.
swiftnfurious is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2014, 16:42   #2227
BHPian
 
xaero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Noida
Posts: 79
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

For now , I am satisfied by the performance, and moreover I am waiting for the warranty to get over before I decide to go for the re-map, its always on the back of my mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
From a very conservative mindset, I am quite open to the idea of remapping my next (new) vehicle if it's power does NOT live upto my expectations.
xaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2014, 16:47   #2228
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 6,250
Thanked: 5,412 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaero View Post
For now , I am satisfied by the performance, and moreover I am waiting for the warranty to get over before I decide to go for the re-map, its always on the back of my mind.
To be honest, if I were you, I would do it when the vehicle is in warranty! The simple reason being, you can always switch back to the stock map in case of any issues and still avail the warranty claims.

But as you said, a T-Jet may NOT warrant any additional power bump for atleast 90% of the clientele - am yet to TD one. So am NOT sure how good it is in stock form itself.
swiftnfurious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2014, 18:58   #2229
BHPian
 
adrena's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 70
Thanked: 86 Times
Default

Interesting conversation here. I need some advice - has anyone bought and installed a short throw shifter? I'm tired of the long throws on my Jet. Bonalume has one for the GP TJet. It may work. Need to know before I order.
adrena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2014, 19:01   #2230
Senior - BHPian
 
khoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dilli
Posts: 2,664
Thanked: 1,185 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

So, I had my Mitsubishi remapped some years ago to find the car picking up better but with a whole lot of jerking coming in at 3000 + rpm. Got it tested on a dynamometer and while there was a minuscule difference in the pre and post mapping readings, they definitely were nowhere close to what was claimed. To cut a long story short got the mapping reversed and have been a happy driver ever since. I believe all the tuning guys did was to advance the ignition timing thereby a faster pickup which fools one in to thinking that there is additional power on tap throughout the rev band. This particular car has a 2 litre engine and our TJet+ leaves it for dead as far as pick up is concerned. I would not get it remapped ever but am gathering bits and pieces to turbo charge the above mentioned 2 litre naturally aspirated block. Hope you get the drift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaero View Post
For now , I am satisfied by the performance, and moreover I am waiting for the warranty to get over before I decide to go for the re-map, its always on the back of my mind.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2014, 19:52   #2231
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: gurgaon
Posts: 453
Thanked: 413 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (9)
Default Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrena View Post
Interesting conversation here. I need some advice - has anyone bought and installed a short throw shifter? I'm tired of the long throws on my Jet. Bonalume has one for the GP TJet. It may work. Need to know before I order.
OR: you could sell your t-jet and buy the New facelifted version.

My new Linea 2014 t-jet has shorter throws than my 2010 Linea Fire 1.4, and is much less notchy too, making it a crisp, feelsome pleasure to shift gears, if such a description for gear shifting makes any sense!
desdemona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2014, 23:33   #2232
Senior - BHPian
 
khoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dilli
Posts: 2,664
Thanked: 1,185 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

In case this helps anyone, I test drove the new TJet during the AC check up camp last month and the gear throws etc are same as in our 2011 built TJet+.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desdemona View Post
My new Linea 2014 t-jet has shorter throws than my 2010 Linea Fire 1.4, and is much less notchy too, making it a crisp, feelsome pleasure to shift gears, if such a description for gear shifting makes any sense!
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2014, 00:28   #2233
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: gurgaon
Posts: 453
Thanked: 413 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (9)
Default Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
In case this helps anyone, I test drove the new TJet during the AC check up camp last month and the gear throws etc are same as in our 2011 built TJet+.
Thanks, Khoj, for this information. I was comparing the new T-jet gear shifter to my 2010 Linea. Great to know that this improvement had long ago been implemented by Fiat on the Linea.

How is the shifting feel on recent or new MJD-s, I wonder, compared to the T-jet? Will try and test drive a new diesel the next time I am at FASS, to find out.
desdemona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2014, 12:14   #2234
BHPian
 
Biraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NCR
Posts: 545
Thanked: 956 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Is it possible to generate a power and torque curve from the scanner? On the other hand it would be interesting if you could manually note down torque at 250 rpm increments and share the figures with us.
The app that I am using (Bosch Fun to Drive) doesn't generate power/torque chart. It only displays the real time figures. I am trying to find some app supported on Android and not exorbitantly priced.

Second part of the experiment will be based more on recall after a drive rather than actual figures. Perhaps one of the fellow BHPians (calling lapis_lazuli) can help during the next IVV meet.
Biraj is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2014, 13:55   #2235
BHPian
 
lapis_lazuli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Zilla Ghaziabad
Posts: 416
Thanked: 404 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
The app that I am using (Bosch Fun to Drive) doesn't generate power/torque chart. It only displays the real time figures. I am trying to find some app supported on Android and not exorbitantly priced.

Second part of the experiment will be based more on recall after a drive rather than actual figures. Perhaps one of the fellow BHPians (calling lapis_lazuli) can help during the next IVV meet.
What IVV meet? It has not happened in ages But I am in, for the tests anyway! But unfortunately, Multiecuscan has all the older models active and not the latest ones. I am not sure if anyone on this forum has been able to run the latest puntos and lineas on it, without paying the Euro 50 fee! But, for my vintage Punto 1.2, (its actually NOT OBD-II, but EOBD. Although manufactured later, it is still EOBD as originally it was in Europe before 2010)

For the benefit of others, one can find the Magneti Marelli IAW5 and Bosch and other ECUs' listed. Then again, we can't use the IAW 5SF version, but the 5NF version. It is just an older release of the same ECU and gives all the readings in real time.

It supports all the lineas too, but not for free....!

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 22nd May 2014 at 14:04.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Terrestrial Fighter Jet : Fiat Linea T-Jet+. EDIT: 3 years, 4th Service completed KarthikK Long-Term Ownership Reviews 220 8th April 2015 00:19
Renaissance of my JET - White FIAT Linea T-Jet+ (27,000 Kms Up) Sathya_sc Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 225 4th August 2014 20:29
Fuelled FIRE into my (T)JET - The Fiat Linea T-Jet bnzjon Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 123 12th May 2013 00:16


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:37.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks