Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 26th February 2015, 13:54   #2521
BHPian

Default Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiaashish View Post
The dealer is encoraging me to take the delivery of the linea with a temporary registration citing the delays at andheri RTO.he says you can drive with that and he will give a bunch of signed and stamped forms (form 19 or 20, my memory betrays me) which I have to fill everyday. He says once they get the registration number they would fix the number plate. This was what was told by the President of esskay Motors. A junior colleague if his mentioned that I will have to take the vehicle to RTO for inspection. Friends is it advisable to take delivery with such temp stuff and confusion or should I wait till all registration formalities are done. Given the unrest in Mumbai RTOs the dealer says he can't commit any time. Please advise.
There is a RTO issue happening that is true. I am awaiting delivery of my Hyundai Xcent which is also stuck. But my dealer has said now the RTO has started working on taking new car registrations so hopefully things will move this week. If you take the delivery on temp number you would need to go to the RTO to get the passing done for your car. Look at the Maharashtra RTO site for details on what is required incase of registering a new car. Personally I would push for the dealer to get the registration done specially when they charge a heafty amount for that.
arishi1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2015, 18:02   #2522
BHPian

Quote:
Just back from a short trip to Istanbul. Felt nice to see a whole lot of Linea on the streets there - a random sampling would indicate one out of every 15 cars was a Linea, by far the highest on the streets of Istanbul
Nice to hear. I find that there is nothing wrong if you see so many taxis since it proves that it is easy on pocket to run and maintain. In TN you can see so many Etios, Innovas and nowadays even Swifts running as taxis.

Quote:
There are some issues at the RTOs in Mumbai is what I am told by the dealer Esskay Motors. Apparently, RTO in Andheri has stopped accepting registration of cars through agents and owners have to be personally present to expedite the registration of their new cars!!!
Is it a drive started by some straight forward RTO or it is a move to extract more commission from the dealers? One visit to the office and inquiring the owners/ agents hanging around will throw more light. Similar thing happens in Chennai also from time to time and it gets resolved in few days. At one point, I was told that TN RTOs stopped registering all VW cars!! When I went deeper and inquired, I found that, they stopped accepting all registration forms from all car makers/ dealers due to Vijayadasami rush!!

Quote:
Is the Tjet worth so much waiting - I booked the car on Dec 14 and no signs of delivery as yet. I am really wondering if the process of purchasing a Fiat is so mediocre, what would ASS be like!!!
You need not change your mind on TJet just for this one issue. Fiat A.S.S. is much better now and a few days wait is worth it (provided you ar an inspire car lover who has a passion for driving).
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
Meantime- Go to Honda- and ask about the City i-VTEC's registration issues- if any. The T-Jet is an excellent car- no denying that. BUT- If they're holding up you like this, I'm sorry FIAT, I'd rather go for Honda. And the famed i-VTEC (aka VTEC! )
If I have a passion for driving, I will not take this advise seriously. I have driven both cars and would anytime prefer a T jet.
alavandar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2015, 20:22   #2523
BHPian

Angry Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

Thanks @PGNarain, @Arishi1 and @alavandar. Your suggestions point against taking the delivery on the temp registration. I shall wait in that case to get the delivery after all registration formalities.

Quote:
Is it a drive started by some straight forward RTO or it is a move to extract more commission from the dealers? One visit to the office and inquiring the owners/ agents hanging around will throw more light.
Well what I understand is that there is a New Commissioner who has taken a stance to weed away all the touts from the RTOs in Mumbai. This has created a lot of delays. What was incredible was the reason cited by the SE that RTO in Andheri was not working because the touts have gone on strike. News about issues at RTOs have been coming in various dailies and also confirmed by arishi1. But how deep or big is the problem I have no clue. I have waited for over 2 months now for a May 2014 manufactured Linea. Let me try and be patient for a few more days (or weeks)
indiaashish is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2015, 21:50   #2524
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks @PGNarain, @Arishi1 and @alavandar. Your suggestions point against taking the delivery on the temp registration. I shall wait in that case to get the delivery after all registration formalities.

Well what I understand is that there is a New Commissioner who has taken a stance to weed away all the touts from the RTOs in Mumbai. This has created a lot of delays.
Many a time when a straight forward RTO (if there is one) tries sorting / weeding corruption through touts, his own subordinates do not cooperate and create nuisance for the public.
It may be worth while to find out what other new-car owners are doing / other dealers are doing. Mumbai is a place where such things cannot go endlessly.
alavandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2015, 23:27   #2525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alavandar View Post
Many a time when a straight forward RTO (if there is one) tries sorting / weeding corruption through touts, his own subordinates do not cooperate and create nuisance for the public.
It may be worth while to find out what other new-car owners are doing / other dealers are doing. Mumbai is a place where such things cannot go endlessly.
Very true and that's what precisely seems to be happening here. There was news in TOI couple of days back that the new commissioner has asked RTOs to work overtime to get over the backlog of new car registrations. I have checked with multiple dealers across the Mumbai region and everyone is suffering with these delays. I am getting frustrated with these delays now.

Mod Note: Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd March 2015 at 14:27. Reason: Typos
arishi1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 27th February 2015, 05:30   #2526
BHPian

That being so, please do what other car owners do, ie. across dealerships and models, if deliveries are taken and very many cars are running with temp. registration, then you can also do the same. You won't be doing any thing terribly wrong. And if most people are doing the same, then no one can single out your car to take it off road or penalise you for doing so. Just follow the masses. Given this situation, I think the dealers' advise to take delivery is nothing out of ordinary. You may like to see what others are doing and do the same.
Meanwhile, either the commissioner will be transferred and the corrupt system will be back or the RTO subordinates will be disciplined. If it is TN, the former will take place. But given the mood of new govt in MH, the later may happen, which is a new beginning.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd March 2015 at 14:27. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 27th February 2015, 19:32   #2527
BHPian

But not sure about the validity of the temporary registration. What if I take one and am not able to get the permanent registration within the given time frame!
indiaashish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2015, 15:32   #2528
Senior - BHPian

The temp registration is valid for 30 days in the normal course of things. Having said that the World will not stop just because a bunch of RTO guys are not working and the car dealer lobby will not let a bunch of morons come in the way of sales that they accrue towards the end of the financial year. Moreover the sales tax department too will lose out on the taxes etc and they are a far larger and stronger government organisation than the RTO, this issue will be sorted out sooner than later.

Now based on a similar situation that I have faced some years ago at MH06 RTO, I would suggest that you collect the registration file from your dealer and walk in to the RTO and take care of the formalities yourself. You might be surprised at the outcome.

Quote:
But not sure about the validity of the temporary registration. What if I take one and am not able to get the permanent registration within the given time frame!
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2015, 18:47   #2529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
The temp registration is valid for 30 days in the normal course of things. Having said that the World will not stop just because a bunch of RTO guys are not working and the car dealer lobby will not let a bunch of morons come in the way of sales that they accrue towards the end of the financial year. Moreover the sales tax department too will lose out on the taxes etc and they are a far larger and stronger government organisation than the RTO, this issue will be sorted out sooner than later.
I can't but agree with you khoj. I was to go today to take the delivery of the car on temp registration only to receive a call from the dealer in the morning conveying that they have been in touch with the RTO and are confident that all Registration formalities would be completed by coming Thursday and I could get my Linea. Hoping it turns out the way they make me believe
Old 9th March 2015, 10:28   #2530
BHPian

Quote:
I can't but agree with you khoj. I was to go today to take the delivery of the car on temp registration only to receive a call from the dealer in the morning conveying that they have been in touch with the RTO and are confident that all Registration formalities would be completed by coming Thursday and I could get my Linea. Hoping it turns out the way they make me believe
Hi Hope things worked out and you have taken delivery. Wish you a happy driving experience in advance. Hope to see your ownership review soon.
alavandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2015, 13:51   #2531
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alavandar View Post
Hi Hope things worked out and you have taken delivery. Wish you a happy driving experience in advance. Hope to see your ownership review soon.
Not as yet. The RTO issues are still to settle. The Andheri RTO chaps had an extended holi weekend is what I was told Will surely keep the wonderful lot of BHPians here posted as soon as I can call the Linea mine, hopefully with some pics.

Mod Note: Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 16th March 2015 at 09:53.
Old 15th March 2015, 16:11   #2532
BHPian

Finallyyy. The Linea is ours, albeit still some documentary niggles.
1. Incorrect invoices handed over - They had quoted a lower price at the RTO for the road tax - 8.61 ex showroom whereas exshowroom price quote to me was 9.28! Have to collect the correct (inflated) invoice.
2. Comprehensive insurance given instead of the Zero Dep promised - explanation: will endorse the latter after taking the zero dep.
3. VIN in registration mentioned incorrectly (mentioned FZ instead of EZ) - explanation: will have it rectified soon!
4. Complimentary accessories (cover, mud flap and mats) to be handed over tomorrow!
Accepted everything since I had to wait over 3 months to lay my hands on the keys. SO in my excitement, agreed to be patient and wait till monday.

Preliminary feedback: Gear shift no as smooth, especially in Gears 1 and 2; The front wheels did not have the hairy stuff on the treads unlike the rear wheels raising my suspicion about being used. Odo said 43 km with the 'H'sign in place. All 4 tyres were Goodyear Eagle with the same manufacturing date (14/14). Explanation: Front wheels experience more wear and tear because of steering controls. Not convincing to me I must admit.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-our-linea.jpg  

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-linea-showroom.jpg  

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-linea-showroom_rear.jpg  

indiaashish is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2015, 00:14   #2533
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on getting your new ride home. Lovely pic there with smiles all around.

As for the car, the gear shifts do become smoother as the stick is used and try and slot via the H pattern and not force the stick through. If the H is there nothing else matters, that is one thing no dealer can hoodwink. As for the tires change ASAP Goodyear NCTs will become terrible to bear around the 8 to 10K mark. If nothing else get the Alnac or the Alnac 3G from Apollo they are still better than Goodyear NCTs.

I could not stop myself from posting this but check the manufacturer's invoice (this is a part of the file sent to the RTO) to the dealer that will determine the value the car should actually be sold to you and reported to the RTO. In case it turns out to be the lower amount get them to cough up the difference and if they insist it is the higher then get them to give you the bank challan depositing the relevant tax to the RTO and get the RC stuff sorted out as it will create major issues anytime you have an insurance related matter to deal with.

Quote:

Preliminary feedback: Gear shift no as smooth, especially in Gears 1 and 2; The front wheels did not have the hairy stuff on the treads unlike the rear wheels raising my suspicion about being used. Odo said 43 km with the 'H'sign in place. All 4 tyres were Goodyear Eagle with the same manufacturing date (14/14). Explanation: Front wheels experience more wear and tear because of steering controls. Not convincing to me I must admit.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2015, 11:07   #2534
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations Ashish, your Linea looks great!

Looking forward to your ownership review soon.
PGNarain is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2015, 11:34   #2535
BHPian

Quote:

Congrats. The car is great and your daughter's smile is priceless. Wish you a happy and safe driving trips with family. Congrats again. And regarding the gear shift, try shifting up at a higher rpm and see if it is smooth. The general tendency is to shift to 2 soon as the car starts moving. Try delay that, accelerate a bit and shift, then it would be smooth.