Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 15th December 2010, 21:52   #451
Team-BHP Support

Default Fit and Finish issues remain.

I have noticed that every time a updated Punto or Linea variant comes out, the Media goes gaga over how the Fit and Finish has improved. Recently when the T-Jet was launched all of the media said the plastics now even better.

I visited a Tata-Fiat showroom recently, a Linea parked in a corner looked so attractive. I could not resist myself from sitting in the car, i was shocked to see the Fit and Finish levels in the car. I called up the Sales Executive to enquire the date of manufacture of the car, this car turned out to be a fresh car manufactured after the Launch of T-Jet and was a fresh arrival at the showroom.

A look at the pics and you may agree the Fit and Finish is still ages behind VW Vento and Honda City. A buyer spending 10 Lakh Rupees deserves better quality. Attaching some pics i could manage, these issues are not exclusive to a single car, most cars have similar issues.

I do not understand why Fiat is not able to sort these minor issues with their cars, if we forget these minor issues and poor after sales support the Linea is a excellent product. With the addition of the new T-Jet variants it's even better.

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-photo290.jpg

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-photo291.jpg

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-photo292.jpg

Last edited by .anshuman : 15th December 2010 at 21:54.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2010, 22:05   #452
BANNED

Default Re: Fit and Finish issues remain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I have noticed that every time a updated Punto or Linea variant comes out, the Media goes gaga over how the Fit and Finish has improved. Recently when the T-Jet was launched all of the media said the plastics now even better.
Its not just Media, but also our mod GTO told that plastics have improved. You mean to say GTO was kidding??! There are tens of Bhpians who are so satisfied with the plastics but one or two never give up.

Quote:
A look at the pics and you may agree the Fit and Finish is still ages behind VW Vento and Honda City. A buyer spending 10 Lakh Rupees deserves better quality.
No I don't agree. Even VW cars have Plastic issues. Fiat has better body structure, why don't anybody appreciate so much when compared to plastics bashing?!

In this case, I am sure somebody has vandalized the Jet, may be they can't bear the ULTIMATE performance of this 10 lac Jet.
Quote:
Attaching some pics i could manage, these issues are not exclusive to a single car, most cars have similar issues.
Ya most cars including VW, Ford, Maruti,Hyundai, Mahindra, Tata etc have such issues. And as the company understands the problem, they have definitely solved them.

Have a look at the pic, may be someone kicked the ac vent while sitting in and out of the car. Just that the clamps have come out, which can be fixed. Its common sense that only when someone have pulled the clamps the vent can come out.

I remember during Vento test drive, someone pressed the boot opening switch and the switched itself went in and I have heard of some boot cables coming out too.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-photo290.jpg  

Last edited by COUNSEL : 15th December 2010 at 22:21.
COUNSEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2010, 22:20   #453
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

I'd agree with Anshuman. Fiat know they are being criticized because of their plastics & fit & finish issues and they really need to pay more attention to detail. They have addressed this to some extent, but they can do much better.
The pictures are of new cars and it is totally not acceptable.
fiat_tarun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2010, 22:50   #454
Senior - BHPian

Oh yeah, plastics have improved hell lot on Fiat cars, a small amount of niggles continue! They are improving well though. Strange that you found many plastic pieces out of place. Looks like some one kicked it to see if it would bear. The plastics may not, the Fiat's body will, if kicked at. At least the pic says that a gentle push will fix it.

I guess all this will be corrected with the PDI show room does. If they, dont their PDI isnt worth and Team-BHP PDI comes so very handy. Thanks TBHP
funkykar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2010, 01:29   #455
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNSEL View Post
Its not just Media, but also our mod GTO told that plastics have improved. You mean to say GTO was kidding??!
Not true. Please read my review again. My exact statement:

Quote:
NOTE : I didn't gauge much of an improvement in part quality though; the difference is only in the way that they are installed. All plastics are hard, a handful feel crude......
Translated : I do NOT think there's a difference in part quality. The real (and welcome) change is in how they are fitted.

The part quality, and how the parts are installed, are two different things.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2010, 06:23   #456
Distinguished - BHPian

Quality can really be a relative term. The improvements mentioned in the Linea could be in comparison with the pre-TJet versions, but maybe falling short comparing to other brands. But I guess these imperfections do play a role in making Fiat owners so emotionally connected to their car
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2010, 11:02   #457
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Looks like some one kicked it to see if it would bear. The plastics may not, the Fiat's body will, if kicked at. At least the pic says that a gentle push will fix it.

I guess all this will be corrected with the PDI show room does.
Only badly fixed parts come off when kicked or pushed, the car should be assembled to last for decades, just like the good old Palio was.

I agree these parts can be fixed easily in minutes at the time of PDI, but they may come off again and again annoying the owner.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2010, 12:23   #458
Senior - BHPian

I think the whole discussion of petrol T Jet depreciating faster than other competitors does not have much depth.

I belive strongly that amazing cars like the T-Jet and the Honda Jazz are bought with a heart. They are not bought with a concern about their resale value 4-5 years down the line. You don't care whether the petrol costs more than diesel and the FE is lesser than the diesel. You just buy them because you like them and don't care about what others talk about them.

On the other hand, I am completely dissappointed with Fiat's marketing strategy for T-Jet. Its such a wonderful car which deserved best advertising and sales strategy, something like the Zoo Zoo campaign of Vodafone. Revolutionary. But, it did not happen, atleast not yet.

Wake up Fiat. Your baby deserves much more.
ajay_satpute is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2010, 12:56   #459
BHPian

You summed it up all together Ajay. FIAT really needs to get aggressive on the marketing for the T-JET.
I don't understand, if a common person like me can notice that they are not doing enough to market it correctly, what are the officials at FIAT doing?
One thing is for sure that they are not sulking & sobbing over how misunderstood the brand is, otherwise they wouldn't have developed such a fantastic product in the first place. Not to discount the improved dealer experience & overall service.
mb_jg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2010, 17:51   #460
BHPian

I don't understand, if a common person like me can notice that they are not doing enough to market it correctly, what are the officials at FIAT doing?

You said it , Fiat Italy should conduct an inquiry on this . Italian bureau of investigation may be vested with it , ha ha .
swathyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 10:15   #461
BHPian

Thanks for the pictures .anshuman. It is indeed strange that such faults should be visible in a new car. Had the PDI been done one this car?
Palio_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2010, 10:08   #462
BHPian

Test drove the Tjet yesterday and all I can say that I am surely buying it. The Honda city I test drove a day earlier felt pedestrian at best. GTO is absolutely correct when he says that its impossible to drive the Tjet without flooring the accelerator at sane speeds. The only thing that's holding me back is Fiat's future in India. Looking at their dismal sales figures I really worry that they will shut shop and become only an engine supplier. God Fiat make people test drive the Tjet and I seriously doubt they will consider any other car. Also stop those slow motion Tjet commercials and make something like the man looking around the road to cross to ensure no swift is coming through coz that the perfect marketing strategy for the Tjet. Trust me guys this thing is seriously fast.
SPARKled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2010, 10:32   #463
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
The only thing that's holding me back is Fiat's future in India. Looking at their dismal sales figures I really worry that they will shut shop and become only an engine supplier.
There are basically two ways to accept uncertainty: acceptance or resistance.
Acceptance means that you allow events to unfold around you and react spontaneously with suppression. Resistance means that you try to change events from what they really are and react to them with safe responses.

If you like the Jet, buy it. Even we humans' future is still uncertain on this Earth.
COUNSEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2010, 10:53   #464
Senior - BHPian

Fiat's been for more than 15 years now and now once they exited the Indian market, despite their many ups and downs. 175 dealerships and huge investments is in stake.
sidindica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2010, 11:00   #465
Senior - BHPian

no way FIAT will go out this time. they are here to stay till eternity. they are putting utmost efforts to get things right. its a different issue that their hands are tied up a bit due to joint venture but they are surely doing there part.

no wonder they are standing proud at 2nd position on JD power charts.
amit_mechengg is offline   Reply With Quote