Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 5th March 2011, 10:54   #616
BHPian

Default Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

The 2010 model sells for about 30-35K less than 2011, IIRC. I wanted a fresh one so I got the 2011, price notwithstanding. Not really sure if I'd get a TD vehicle if I was OK with an older one. I generally keep my cars ~7 years or so, resale is not a priority though I think that Tata is still learning to make cars, so the later the better

Good Luck. I should have mine tomorrow afternoon.
cranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2011, 17:30   #617

Finally I've put down the token money for the Linea TJet yesterday. Got 2010 model as the discount being offered was good (saving about 48k) and I knew I'd be upgrading the ICE in about a month after the purchase.

The main points that swung the decision in favour of the Linea TJet as against the Fiesta 1.6 were:

1. driving comfort - the Linea made me feel fewer bumps than did the Fiesta. Was an important factor as my parents are quite old and I won't want them to be uncomfortable.

2. feeling from the steering wheel - the Linea steering gave a superb feeling which was at least twice as good as the Fiesta's. Meatier and heavier.

3. simply put a better sounding, smoother and newer engine - NVH levels were lesser in the Linea than the Fiesta (at least that's what I felt after my TDs). It's a newer car and a fresh engine. I had to shift up-down quite a few times between 2-3-4 gears during my Fiesta TD which was certainly not the case in the Linea where I drove around mostly in 3rd and a bit in the 4th gear. The TDs were done mostly in rush hour traffic.

Well all in all except for the ICE I'm a happy FIAT owner now. Looking forward to getting the most out of my car ... once I have it delivered that is

Thanks to everyone who's written about the TJet on this forum. It made my search and final zero-in much easier.
feuergeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2011, 11:32   #618
BHPian

Congrats

Got mine yesterday, FTA T-Jet Plus. It's a BMZ, meaning Feb 2011 as far as I can tell. I was told the date of production is 16th Feb, 2011. I am also a little more confident after seeing quite a few Lineas on the road yesterday, or maybe I'm just noticing more of them.

Just like a toddler with missing teeth and weak bones, there are a few issues. One of the parking light bulbs is missing (I only checked for misaligned panels and dents/scratches during PDI and delivery, noticed this on my first post-dusk drive which I forced myself to do). There is a mild rattle from under the dash when driving with no passengers and the tyres inflated to full load pressure 36/33. And the stitching on driver's floor mat and dead pedal conspire to catch you out when clutching or de-clutching. And the sound system is dreadful, but given my average 10 minute trip duration, it's not a biggie.

OTOH, the acceleration is good, much ahead of the Opel I used to drive. I'm not able to give it much gas so I suffer a bit from understeer out of corners when pushing hard, also there's a fair bit of body roll - of course in normal city traffic these are minor issues. It also has no issues with bad roads, am able to go over most Gurgaon roads without needing to slow down.

For a self-proclaimed geek, I find the car pretty complicated to set up correctly, it took me almost ten minutes to figure out how to get B&M to work with my Blackberry, and I have yet to work through the media player.

I have a few questions for those already using the car:

1. How consistent is the media player? If I leave a drive plugged in it will often not recognise the drive, and default to radio instead. The Autoplay setting in the menu seems to have no effect on this behaviour.

2. How long did your car take to settle down? I have a loud clatter on starting the engine, though it is very quiet once running. I haven't pushed it at all yet, just one or two quick fits of 3.5K rpm for a few seconds to check if the suspension and steering are fine.

3. What was your average fuel consumption with a new car? Including the few seconds of warmup and spinning the turbo down (I usually wait till the fan stops to switch off), I'm seeing a readout of 9 - 9.5km/l (car has done ~55km, 20 of those not mine). Also, do you use regular unleaded or premium fuel? Any specific recommendations?

I really like the way the car looks and handles. I wish Tata learnt how to actually make cars, then it would be a lot more fun.

Drive safe!
cranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2011, 21:29   #619
Senior - BHPian

spotted this bronzo scuro t-jet near wadala telefone exchange today.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-img-492.jpg  

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-img-493.jpg  

sidindica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2011, 22:54   #620
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
spotted this bronzo scuro t-jet near wadala telefone exchange today.
Wow! Brilliant! My sister too booked the same color. Her dealer says it's the fastest moving color in Bangy!
EARTHed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2011, 02:00   #621
Senior - BHPian

Beautiful colour. Makes the car look so rich and premium. Love it.
fiat_tarun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2011, 20:14   #622
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey guys any recommendations on the fiat dealers in delhi? I wanted to check out the linea diesel. The choice is between Vento and the Linea. Vento is almost finalised but somehow everytime I see a linea on the road, I just fall in love with the car.
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2011, 21:43   #623
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Hey guys any recommendations on the fiat dealers in delhi? I wanted to check out the linea diesel. The choice is between Vento and the Linea. Vento is almost finalised but somehow everytime I see a linea on the road, I just fall in love with the car.
From heresay, I can say that Sanya Motors (Defence Colony) are good for buying experience. You can also try the new Uberoi Motors (erstwhile a Dehradun based dealer) is also good. Rama Motors was supposed to be good, but Bubby did not have a good experience there!

Service is a different kettle of fish altogether!
architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2011, 22:05   #624
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Reminds me of the early days. Just like in year 2000, an enthusiast would give a cursory glance to the back of an OHC looking for the double-barrel Vtec exhaust, I find myself checking out new Lineas for the rectangular tip. Caught one in the basement of Asian Heart Institute. But that's it.....unfortunately.
They are rare. I own one a Tjet Plus myself and trust me i had a tough time convincing my wife and parents on why i should spend 1L more on a turbo petrol when i can get a diesel. They will never understand.

Having said that, the car is amazing.
harishsegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2011, 22:17   #625
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
From heresay, I can say that Sanya Motors (Defence Colony) are good for buying experience. You can also try the new Uberoi Motors (erstwhile a Dehradun based dealer) is also good. Rama Motors was supposed to be good, but Bubby did not have a good experience there!

Service is a different kettle of fish altogether!
Anything in north delhi? Near punjabi bagh?

Is the service really that horrible? I dont wanna regret buying it over the Vento . This will be my first Fiat if it happens!
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2011, 22:20   #626
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Is the service really that horrible? I dont wanna regret buying it over the Vento . This will be my first Fiat if it happens!
I guess what Arch meant was your choice of showroom for buying a FIAT and servicing might be different.

Trust me, as all other JET owners say, the JET is just SUPERB! You will never regret owning one. Vento is just another powerful car. If not Linea, wait for New Verna and Fiesta too.

Last edited by EARTHed : 3rd April 2011 at 22:22.
EARTHed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2011, 09:46   #627
BHPian

Tjet is a great car. I own one from the first lot and completed 5k. It's run enough to give a feedback. There is definitely improvement in the overall car but there are still some minor annoyances. For ex: plastic squeaks. I hear them at different places at different times. It's tough to nail down and remove it. Brakes: watch out if it squeals and attend to it early.
Low beam: get height adjusted from the engine compartment. The LB is great but just a little too low.

And yes, irrespective of what anyone tells you, let the car idle before switching off to allow the turbo to settle down.
harishsegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2011, 23:47   #628
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

Thank you GTO ...
I have enjoyed reading each & every1 of your reviews !

Even though I don't intend to buy the car !

Your reviews have a bit of 'you' in them, which makes it very real, digestible & absolutely addictive.

It is an hardcore realistic view of the car. No sugar coating, no prejudice. The upfront bare facts albeit wrapped in a good vocabulary & with your personal keynotes as the additional ribbon on top.

Thank you for all these wonderful moments of pleasure reading.

PLEASE KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK !
Dr.Suraj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2011, 19:55   #629
BANNED

Any comparison between the T-Jet and T-Jet plus in terms of driving (due to difference in wheel size) ?
Revention is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2011, 20:11   #630
BHPian

the tJet+ surely does not scrape any roads or speed breakers and that is clearly the highlight. Not so sure of the ride and handling though.

By the way, i understand that they dont sell Tjet's anymore and only tJet+ is being sold, since the demand for the base model was very negligible.

cheers
vinay
vinay_ss is offline   Reply With Quote