Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 21st October 2010, 07:54   #31
BANNED

Excellent review Flyingspur. On my way to add 5 stars.

I've driven this Fiat 1.4L engine in Punto 1.4 and I think this engine is good enough for hatchbacks for decent power and performance.
Good to see that it made it to the Vista as well.

Also, at the beginning of your review, you have mentioned that:

Quote:
Spending 6 - 7 lakhs for a big hatchback (a la Hyundai i20, Fiat Punto and Honda Jazz) isn't uncommon. Unfortunately, these premium offerings have been limited by their 1200 cc engines, thanks to government-provided excise benefits. So you have a premium hatchback loaded to the gills with equipment that can shame your C-segment sedan, but where is the power? Bring in the next wave of cars with powerful engines, aimed at not just the sensible hatchback buyer, but also the discerning customer who demands performance on the open road (including highways & expressways). We've recently seen the launch of the Volkswagen Polo 1.6, the Hyundai i20 1.4 CRDi and the Punto 90 hp.
But, both i20 and Punto are available with 1.4L Petrol engine as well but these have been missed while talking about the options available in Petrol segment with 1.4 and 1.6 engines. Jazz is the only one out of these that does not have 1.4 engine option. i20 only has Auto option with 1.4 engine and costs 7.5lacs Ex-showroom though, but still I think they should also be quoted in that part of your review.

Last edited by PaddleShifter : 21st October 2010 at 07:56.
PaddleShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 09:12   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks all, for the five star rating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
...and uses the same name (i.e. Indica) have restricted it from digging deep into the individual owner's segment.
Actually, there might be some thought put into that by Tata. We were asked to refrain from saying Indica Vista90 and were requested to say only Vista90 while they were filming our impressions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
I think TATA's are somehow seriously reading TBHP reviews(and they should)..they are catching up with the missing action slowly into their cars.
Can tell you for a fact that they are, from the conversations we had during the review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
The rear end pic shows the vista badging bigger than the indica moniker. The estilo effect? FS, do you have a close up pic of the new vista badging?
That is the direction of their efforts, Sid. The Indica name is slowly being given less prominence. I don't know how it will work NOW, though. Should have done it from launch itself, now the Indica tag is already strongly associated with the Vista.

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto-one View Post
I also liked the pictures (are you into photography?)
Thank you. No, not into it professionally, but enjoy clicking pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by boohooper View Post
One more thing.. before folding the Backrest down you must lift the Bench seat over. One of the pics showing the Hump on the floor will reveal the hinges that allow this movement! and Voila the Backrest folds flat!!
Ah yes, I see those hinges now. Thanks for the useful piece of information! Will benefit our members here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
...where is the Indica Sport with the stiffened suspension,body kits and the extra 30BHP? Any confirmation about that @flyingspur?
No word on that just yet. Consider this the Sport version for now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
How do you rate this car against it's peers viz, Figo, Ritz, et al?
Unfortunately I haven't driven the Figo or the Micra yet. But given that the Indica has improved by leaps and bounds, and is today hardly the car that it was 7-8 years ago, I'd still say it's an extremely capable, competent and spacious hatch, and a force to reckon with in this segment. In no other hatch except my i20 do I have such interior space to travel in comfort, even now. It's a looker too, and now goes well with the 1.4 engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Are these factory fitted wheels?
Oh yes they are. They were used last year for the Indica Vista Anniversary Edition as well. Look it up, it's a hot looking car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
....but these have been missed while talking about the options available in Petrol segment with 1.4 and 1.6 engines...i20 only has Auto option with 1.4 engine and costs 7.5lacs Ex-showroom though, but still I think they should also be quoted in that part of your review.
I did mention the Punto but in a different light, as "part of the next wave" with the 90hp launch. The i20 1.4 is hardly a performer, and the Automatic was only launched later. In that piece I'm taking about cars which could be considered by the potential self-driven enthusiast, the 1.4 Auto hardly falls under that category. The real fun-to-drive i20 is the 1.4 CRDi which I did mention. Still, point noted. Thanks.
FlyingSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 09:33   #33
BHPian

Excellent report Flyingspur. Totally unbiased and to the point. The quality lapses are glaring and I am sure the consumers who are used to Suzuki and Hyundai's quality in fit and finish will not take too kindly to this. Hope Tata does pay some attention to these points.
Hope they have controlled the body roll which was extremely prominent in the 65 ps car (reported to go all around the place during cornering). With 90 ps under the hood one would be tempted to push the car harder into the corner and maybe one would be in for a surprise.
Palio_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 10:28   #34
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review, complimented by equally excellent pictures - 5 start to the thred, Flyingspur.

If everything goes by the plan, come december, this will be second Vista in our family - The new red color looks superb, and the alloys looks pleasing. Once you have been spoiled by the space and ride of Vista, it is tough to consider another hatch - no other hatch seems so VFM.

Good to see that Tata have addressed some weak points of old Vista - the interior now looks much better than our Vista TDi.
theexperthand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 10:35   #35
MCR
BHPian

Excellent report flyingspur. Is the engine and gearbox same as the one found in the Punto 90HP Petrol? Was there any possibility for you to drive Vista90 and Punto90 back to back? If yes, how would you compare the transmission(engine, gearbox and final drive ratio) part of Vista90 to Punto90?

Last edited by MCR : 21st October 2010 at 10:37.
MCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 10:53   #36
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review with awesome pics.

I do not think providing a more powerful engine, and that too petrol, goes well with the Vista's image and target group. I will be surprised to see this one putting up any significant numbers. But good to see Tata Motors upping the ante

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
In no other hatch except my i20 do I have such interior space to travel in comfort, even now.
Sorry, but have to disagree with this. The I20 is spacious but in no way can be compared to the Vista in terms of space. The Vista is in a different league in terms of space offered in the segment.
adimicra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 11:03   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Excellent review with awesome pics.

I do not think providing a more powerful engine, and that too petrol, goes well with the Vista's image and target group. I will be surprised to see this one putting up any significant numbers. But good to see Tata Motors upping the ante
I am not sure about others, but this is exactly what we were looking forward to.
We are in market for a petrol hatch, and the choice have been narrowed to Figo and Vista petrol, but we almost decided on Figo only because we were not happy with Vista 65. Now that Vista have come out with the new engine, the car ticks all the correct boxes for us. Now we dont have to be scared about bottom scrapping at speed breakers, space is no more a premium, and the new engine will keep us resonably happy during our highway drives, as well as in the city traffic.
Old 21st October 2010, 11:10   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
I am not sure about others, but this is exactly what we were looking forward to.
We are in market for a petrol hatch, and the choice have been narrowed to Figo and Vista petrol, but we almost decided on Figo only because we were not happy with Vista 65. Now that Vista have come out with the new engine, the car ticks all the correct boxes for us. Now we dont have to be scared about bottom scrapping at speed breakers, space is no more a premium, and the new engine will keep us resonably happy during our highway drives, as well as in the city traffic.
That was a generic comment. Obviously, there will be some buyers for this car and you might be one of them. But it is a general prediction that this car will not bring great volumes for Tata Motors. And as always, predictions do go wrong

So, are we looking at the first Vista 90 owner on the forum? Do keep us posted and best of luck

May be I have missed it, but what is the price of this baby? And is it available in a single version? Does it have airbags?
adimicra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 11:17   #39
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the review. I haven't gone through the two pages, but had a query (might have already been answered).

The same engine is characterized by awful low end torque (<1800-2200 rpm) on the Punto 1.4. Can you confirm this is not the case for the Vista.
Have you driven the Punto 1.4? Would it be possible for you to compare the initial response for the two.
The Vista seems better, but is that because of lower weight, or a better map?
If it is a better map, what are the chances of having this on the Punto?

Cheers.
EssYouWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 11:54   #40
Senior - BHPian

@adimicra I know what you made is a general comment, and I do agree with your comment in general (it is a general prediction that this car will not bring great volumes for Tata Motors) , but would love to be proven wrong

Thanks for your wishes, but I dont think I will be the first Vista 90 owner - we are looking for Dec-2010 booking/delivery only.

Prices - Terra - 523,829 /Aqua - 558,202 (on road - bangalore). Aqua is what we are eyeing now.
Old 21st October 2010, 11:56   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
May be I have missed it, but what is the price of this baby? And is it available in a single version? Does it have airbags?
The on road prices for Bangalore is listed below.

Vista 1.4 Terra - Rs. 523,829/-

Vista 1.4 Aqua - Rs. 558,202/-

Vista 1.4 Aura ABS - Rs. 624,861/-

Vista 1.4 Aura Plus - Rs. 684,580/-

I guess the Aura plus comes with ABS, airbags and alloys as well.
nkrishnap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 12:15   #42
Senior - BHPian

Excellent Review!

I myself own a Vista65 since Aug'09. The only change I see in this Vista90 is the power. But again as the review says, the power band comes only after 3K RPMs. I absolutely love Swift K-12 engine just for this. Just step on the paddle and vroom..vroom.

But there is a big issue, already the Vista65 has below average FE. With Vista90, it will be even low I feel.

The only reason I bought Vista was the humongous space it offers. I carry 5 people with ultimate comfort. Both the front and rear seats offer superb space, which is not there in any other hatches in India, except Figo may be.

I dont understand why Tata can not improve the fit and finish. They are already the 2nd highest passenger car seller in India, (If I am not wrong) bypassing Hyundai. They got to improve the quality.

I have clocked 11k KMs on the Odo till date. Overall i would rate this car at 5-6/10.

Will I recommend this car to anyone? YES. If you want huge space, excellent rear seat comfort, all the features under the Sun for much less price, then go for it.

For sure, my next car will not be a Tata. Sorry Tata!

My next car would be mostly a German (VW Vento) or a Jap(ANHC).
ajay_satpute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 12:43   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Lovely stuff but I just skipped through only the pics after I read this:

Quote:
What you won't :
  • Soft suspension setup. Best driven sedately
Very thoroughly done review. Seems TBHP conducts a photographic proficiency test before selecting its mods - bang at par with tsk's Cruze review!!
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 13:42   #44
BHPian

FlyingSpur,

Excellent Review and unbiased opinion on the Safire90. But I think, it might be of little use for TATA since not many would prefer TATA when it comes as an enthusiasts car due to its cornering and drivablity factors
ravikn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 14:09   #45
BHPian

Default Shocking prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
The on road prices for Bangalore is listed below.

Vista 1.4 Terra - Rs. 523,829/-

Vista 1.4 Aqua - Rs. 558,202/-

Vista 1.4 Aura ABS - Rs. 624,861/-

Vista 1.4 Aura Plus - Rs. 684,580/-

I guess the Aura plus comes with ABS, airbags and alloys as well.
Well The pricing is very very shocking, the Aura+ is priced close to Punto E+. The only differentiator will be space versus ride and handling.

Though, I guess the high prices is due to the over the top Bangalore taxes. Cant wait to see the OTR in Mumbai. Thanks nkrishna.
MihirC is offline   Reply With Quote