Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 17th November 2011, 16:18   #376
BHPian

Default Re: Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
The 4x2 specs and details has been out on Skoda India site, cost of this has to be in low with missing electronic and haldex clutch, hope to see a lot Yeti on road now, the safety feature are mostly intact as in Ambition.
The gearbox is also different, its a 5 speed manual rather than the 6 speed in the Ambition and Elegance, the cost difference between Ambition and Elegance for the electronic and extra Airbags where almost 1 lac so expect a difference between Ambition and Active to be in range of 1.5-2 lac that should make the cost of Active to be in range of 14 Lac on road!

-Pramod
Even with a discount of Rs.2 Lac, it is hard to see how the 4X2 can reach Rs. 14 Lac on-road. The Ambition is about Rs. 15.6 lacs ex-showroom Chennai, so with a 1.5-2 Lac discount, the 4X2 can end up around Rs. 14 lac ex-showroom. True, there have been some discounts on the ambition model in the recent past, but I doubt skoda will provide such as a big discount on the newly launched active model anytime soon. My gut feel says this is going to end up closer to Rs. 16 Lac on-road Chennai.

As for the 5-speed tranny - I wonder if this is the same one used in Rapid/Vento. I understand that transmission specs depend on the engine torque it should be able to handle. Since the 110 hp engine has a torque of 250 NM, (same territory as Vento/Rapid - unlike the 140 HP that has 320 NM), could Skoda have taken up the opportunity to re-use a chaper transmission from a smaller platform? Maybe the experts can verify this.
84.monsoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2011, 16:47   #377
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
As for the 5-speed tranny - I wonder if this is the same one used in Rapid/Vento. I understand that transmission specs depend on the engine torque it should be able to handle. Since the 110 hp engine has a torque of 250 NM, (same territory as Vento/Rapid - unlike the 140 HP that has 320 NM), could Skoda have taken up the opportunity to re-use a chaper transmission from a smaller platform? Maybe the experts can verify this.
Skoda already has a 5 speed unit mated with engine they use in Laura MT.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2011, 08:19   #378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cediafan View Post
I have to ask this. How is the 4 X 2 Yeti different from any other Sedan except the slightly higher CG (180 mm)? Yeti has been positioned as a compact SUV, but with the 4 X 2 avatar , would there be any reason to buy it vis-a-vis the other diesel sedans?
I bought Yeti not necessarily for its 4X4, but to overcome some of the issues (all comfort related) I've had with Octavia. Neither Laura or Jetta were a satisfactory alternative for me.

Some obvious advantage
(1) you over 6 feet and hence comfort for your knees,
(2) Rugged and long suspension (this might not be the right technical term) helps on bad/non-existent roads.
(3) Off-Roading is still possible. You can still go where sedans cannot go withoug getting very adventurous !!
(4) Higher seating means far better visibility
contessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2011, 10:55   #379
BHPian

My guess is the 110Bhp 4x2 would have trouble lugging along the whole 1500kgs of Yeti. Doesn't the power-weight ratio get a bit low here?
paliontile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2011, 18:12   #380
Senior - BHPian

There has been no press release/official statement from Skoda as yet on the Yeti 4x2, probably due to the recent launch of the Rapid. Have the prices been announced at dealer level?
MaserQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2011, 21:37   #381
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

they will first allow the Rapid to settle into the marketplace and then land the new de-specced Yeti.
As of now it is a status quo as regards the Yeti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaserQ View Post
There has been no press release/official statement from Skoda as yet on the Yeti 4x2, probably due to the recent launch of the Rapid. Have the prices been announced at dealer level?
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2011, 22:01   #382
BHPian

If they give a AWD with despecced engine and at around 12L ex-showroom, I am very much interested. I already have a good car with good clearance (Fiat Adventure) and will not buy if its just FWD.
thalavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2011, 22:35   #383
Distinguished - BHPian

yes- most people prefer the SUVs for their Higher GC, larger size, imposing presence and so on, rather than for their sheer utility perspective.
yes also to the fact that most SUVs sold here are in 2WD.
even abroad the 4x4 SUVs which are bought by urban people are mostly bought for the "feeling" of greater safety or because this is their way of making a statement of "freedom" - freedom to go anywhere anytime!
The Yeti is a good product in itself, but as you say, will remain a niche product here in India in its top spec 4WD avatar.
However when they do bring in the 2WD, I do believe the sales will definitely improve, especially if they price it nicely - because a vehicle like this makes an excellent alternative to the standard sedans that are so ubiquitous these days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
All the people cribbing about 4x2 version, please look at sales split of SUVs in the country - >85% sales come from 4x2 variant. Even those who buy 4x4 version, rarely go off-roading. People buy SUVs for primarily look, space & high GC.

This is the reason why Yeti failed - no road presence, cramped space (compared to other SUVs). I doubt 4x2 or slashing price is going to help move volumes - Yeti will remain a niche product in India.
Old 18th November 2011, 22:47   #384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
All the people cribbing about 4x2 version, please look at sales split of SUVs in the country - >85% sales come from 4x2 variant. Even those who buy 4x4 version, rarely go off-roading. People buy SUVs for primarily look, space & high GC.
Also keep in mind the fact that most Indian manufacturers DO NOT encourage the 4wd variants at all by making them available ONLY in their top end variants and making them that much costlier. Had the Scorpio and Safari sported 4wd options across all variants, there would have been many more 4wds on the roads today.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2011, 03:26   #385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath

Also keep in mind the fact that most Indian manufacturers DO NOT encourage the 4wd variants at all by making them available ONLY in their top end variants and making them that much costlier. Had the Scorpio and Safari sported 4wd options across all variants, there would have been many more 4wds on the roads today.
There is hardly any demand as I see. People who want 4x4 will upgrade to highest variant giving more margin to customers. And in case of Yeti as well as Aria, I bet 4x2 versions will outsell 4x4.
ethanhunt123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2011, 14:10   #386
Distinguished - BHPian

Has the new variant of Yeti already launched? The 110bhp 2.0 TDI CR Active trim is now listed in Skoda India website.

Yeti - TechnicalSpecs Skoda Auto

Yeti - Features Skoda Auto

Last edited by vb-san : 19th November 2011 at 14:11. Reason: Links renamed
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2011, 16:11   #387
BHPian

4x2 version is only launched in ambition version as of now.Just got a call from dealer a few minutes back here in Surat Ambition 4x2 is costing Rs 14.64 Lakhs ex show room. (4x4 ambition is Rs 15.84 Lakhs). Active 4x2 would be launched around January'12.
Going by this don't think active version would be priced around Rs 11-12 Lakh bracket.

Last edited by dave7377 : 19th November 2011 at 16:26.
dave7377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2011, 16:58   #388
Distinguished - BHPian

this is nice news
so there will be a few more Yetis buzzing about
even if they are in the 4x2 version it will be a good thing because it is really a very nice vehicle.
good that skoda have made it a little more accessible now for more people - it is certainly a very good alternative sort of vehicle to a standard boring exec sedan, there is no doubt about that.
with todays increasingly active lifestyles Im sure there will be lots of takers for the new Active version!
Old 19th November 2011, 18:21   #389
Senior - BHPian

That's way too high. One can get the 4X4 ambition (ambiente) around that figure with all the discounts going around. why would anyone pay 14.64 for an 4X2 110 bhp yeti?

Yeti will continue to be a market dud if this pricing is indeed true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave7377 View Post
4x2 version is only launched in ambition version as of now.Just got a call from dealer a few minutes back here in Surat Ambition 4x2 is costing Rs 14.64 Lakhs ex show room. (4x4 ambition is Rs 15.84 Lakhs). Active 4x2 would be launched around January'12.
Going by this don't think active version would be priced around Rs 11-12 Lakh bracket.
bala80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2011, 22:17   #390
BHPian

There are two 4x2 variants in addition to the two existing 4x4 trims. Bangalore prices are as follows. Ambience and Elegance are the 4x4 versions.

Active 4x2: 13.58
Ambition 4x2 -14.44
thalavoy is offline   Reply With Quote