Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2012, 12:37   #406
Senior - BHPian
 
androdev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,385
Thanked: 814 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Met Androdev - I'll let him provide his comments
Hey it was nice meeting you ajmat! I am sure you have probably got used to it by now to people walking up to you and saying.. "hey, is that you.. i am blah from team-bhp" :-)

the test drive did not meet my expectation, few details:

In the showroom:

1. Rear seat backrests are very narrow. I am just 5'7" and my shoulder width is more than the width of the backrest. This is probably due to the fact that the seats are completely removable - but still they there should have been some padding for shoulder support. My family will not like it having used to proper sedan comfort in other cars. The so called varioflex rear seat is more geared towards cargo flexibility than passenger comfort.

2. You see a lot of black plastic inside (front seat base, rear seat levers, rear seat arm-rest, et.) and when contrasted with beige seats it is not very pleasant. When you use the rear seat arm-rest, it leaves a big hole exposing the boot - not a pretty site.

3. Front passenger seat: arm-rest on the door can be used only if you push the seat forward. if you plan to push the seat back, recline a bit and keep your hand on the arm-rest - not possible.

On the road:

1. This is the first time I drove anything other than a sedan. First thing that I realized is I don't enjoy the tall seating :( I know lot of people like it, but my favorite driving position is to "recline far back, keep knees as straight as possible" and slam the pedals. I felt I will never be able to get that rhythm if the seating is tall. This is not a problem with the car, but with my driving style. I am sure my driving position sucks for a 4x4 situation :-)

2. clutch needs some getting used to I guess. I was a bit tired after a brief test drive that had plenty of stop-and-go traffic. I couldn't put my finger on it - whether it is the play, or the feedback that you need to release the clutch carefully. or it could be just I am new to the car. but I guess this is very easy to overcome except you wish yeti came in DSG during the test drive :-)

3. Since I have not driven any tall cars, I cant compare the handling with them. But compared to a sedan, it was a little short of expectations. Could be due to 4x4 as well. I usually keep the steering steady and accelerate in the bends keeping the road median as a reference. some car allow me to maintain stead gap with the median without much fuss, some cars need me to constantly adjust the steering. with yeti, I had to adjust the steering a bit (this was not the case with Laura I owned). Similarly felt less confident while doing S-shape overtaking (dont know the technical term but the stuff you do when slow moving vehicles block all available lanes)


To sum it up:

It is a great car and all the praise it got is well deserved. Good build, drive and features, I like its looks as well. But it is more suited to people who are looking for a two-seater (or 2 adults + 2 kids) with lot of 4x4+cargo usage. I am looking for a sedan with high GC

I also looked at XUV and X1. Not test driven. XUV is huge and clearly one or two notches below yeti in terms of F&F. X1 is way too expensive - but will test drive and post my experience here. X1 has no underbody protection like all other BMWs - quite stupid.

It is a torture :-) I want a go-anywhere (relatively) car with better GC and rugged build and I also want to it be a 'joy' to drive. I wish I hadn't lost my old Laura L&K - I miss it. It came close to this.

Last edited by androdev : 22nd January 2012 at 12:38.
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2012, 10:53   #407
BHPian
 
BikerSG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Chennai, INDIA
Posts: 374
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures

Is the Yeti 4x4 imported as CBU or CKD?

The reason I ask is CBU's from EU are expected to become a little cheaper due to the FTA which is currently under negotiations. Announcement to this effect is expected on 10th Feb.

Prices of CBU's likely to become cheaper by 12-18%.
BikerSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2012, 11:22   #408
Team-BHP Support
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 11,482
Thanked: 7,786 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures

The Yeti is CKD. All skoda's are CKD except Fabia which is manufactured in Pune
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2012, 13:20   #409
BHPian
 
drchernish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: kanpur
Posts: 386
Thanked: 49 Times
Default

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 27th March 2012 at 11:16.
drchernish is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 24th January 2012, 14:14   #410
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,459
Thanked: 3,085 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
The Yeti is CKD. All skoda's are CKD except Fabia which is manufactured in Pune
Ajmat, I think the Rapid also is locally manufactured, and not a CKD.
vb-san is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2012, 14:17   #411
Team-BHP Support
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 11,482
Thanked: 7,786 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Ajmat, I think the Rapid also is locally manufactured, and not a CKD.
Correct, Fabia and Rapid use the same platform
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2012, 16:06   #412
BHPian
 
Behemoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 898
Thanked: 959 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures

Your wish is fullfilled! (Courtesy Carsnbikes.in!). I had also gone to the Auto Expo on the 7th , but due to the mad rush at the Skoda stall, could not take any pictures!.
Name:  SkodaYetiatAutoExpo600x450.jpg
Views: 7524
Size:  49.7 KB

Personally I was also thinking of putting a white film on my black Yeti's roof! (to make it less hot in summer!)

There are also some very good pics (one also of the Yeti) on the Team-bhp Auto Expo thread for Skoda posted by Rehaan on the link:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/auto-e...po-2012-a.html


Regards,
Behemoth

Last edited by GTO : 27th March 2012 at 11:17. Reason: Quoted post has been deleted
Behemoth is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2012, 19:42   #413
BHPian
 
drchernish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: kanpur
Posts: 386
Thanked: 49 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures

how about us also getting the style packet for Yeti available overseas.looks splendid,what do you say guys?Hope Skoda is listening(very less chances)
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures-4f1e5f0a09b602350a00000b.jpg  

drchernish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2012, 21:15   #414
BHPian
 
pramods's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Nagpur
Posts: 824
Thanked: 304 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth

Your wish is fullfilled! (Courtesy Carsnbikes.in!). I had also gone to the Auto Expo on the 7th , but due to the mad rush at the Skoda stall, could not take any pictures!.

Personally I was also thinking of putting a white film on my black Yeti's roof! (to make it less hot in summer!)

There are also some very good pics (one also of the Yeti) on the Team-bhp Auto Expo thread for Skoda posted by Rehaan on the link:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/auto-e...po-2012-a.html

Regards,
Behemoth
The yeti here seems to have the headlight washer that means its bi-xenon headlight , hope they launch this with auto folding mirrors and electrical seat. The electrical seat has memory and it also let you have the mirror dip while you reverse. This would be he real elegance model, would have loved all this feature in the current Elegance model that I have!

-Pramod
pramods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2012, 21:36   #415
Distinguished - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 7,593
Thanked: 4,509 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures

Hi!

Yes, in your case I think it is something to do with the changeover from sedan to a taller vehicle. For me, on the other hand, it is a huge sea change from the Scorpio.

As of this moment if I were you, I would avoid the XUV and the X1. The former because it needs to settle down in the market and the latter because it is way too expensive for what it offers (other than the badge).

I understand the "torture" - I went through it myself some months ago till I found that the Yeti was "it" for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
On the road:

1. This is the first time I drove anything other than a sedan...

...I miss it. It came close to this.


Hi Ajmat

I think your issue too is similar to androdev's - the move from the RS to the Yeti isnt going to be easy at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I decided to test drive the Yeti yesterday...

...Met Androdev - I'll let him provide his comments

Last edited by suhaas307 : 28th January 2012 at 09:59. Reason: Shortened quoted post! :)
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2012, 17:03   #416
vij
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 259
Thanked: 49 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I decided to test drive the Yeti yesterday

Was given a 16000km example which was part of the Yeti challenge. My observations were

1: Clutch is heavy
2: Very manouverable
3: No rattles - car had just arrived and was filthy
4: Interiors - am not too sure about the amount of hard plastic that too compared to my Octavia
5: Good torque - it shoots ahead but lacks the thrust that the RS gives

It is a good car but it did not "jump up and kiss me" . I might need another test drive to convince myself. I think jumping from an Rs into a Yeti might have muddled my expectations

Met Androdev - I'll let him provide his comments
IMO you will feel that with many cars if you are transitioning from the RS. However, the Yeti has its strengths for sure and is still a unique proposition.





Is this B&W Yeti available now in India?

Last edited by vij : 25th January 2012 at 17:07.
vij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2012, 19:08   #417
BHPian
 
KINI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: chennai
Posts: 301
Thanked: 101 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures

Hi

Can anybody tell me if there are any discounts on the Yeti 4*2?
Also can somebody give me a feedback on Gurudev motors,Chennai?

Thanks in advance
KINI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2012, 10:21   #418
Distinguished - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 7,593
Thanked: 4,509 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures

A couple of my friends have bought their Lauras over the last few years from Gurudev. They speak well about the service etc.

They seem to be nice guys. However, they dont have too much info on Yeti accessories etc which is what I found when I went to see them casually last week.

Their owner is a part of the same family that owns Vinayak Skoda in Bangalore and I received very good service as well as a good discount from Vinayak. I am sure if you try your luck with Gurudev you will get a nice deal. In fact in todays Times of India BLR, there is a Vinayak ad for the Yeti which says "from 14.99L" or something.

Since the 4x2 is a new launch, Im not sure if you will get big money off, but you can certainly try your luck. You can call their GM Mr Moorthy on 9941959000 and quote a reference of Mr Hemanth, the GM of Vinayak in BLR. If you need further help, I will connect you direct to Mr Hemanth via PM.

Cheerio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINI View Post
Hi

Can anybody tell me if there are any discounts on the Yeti 4*2?
Also can somebody give me a feedback on Gurudev motors,Chennai?

Thanks in advance
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2012, 10:41   #419
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 175
Thanked: 98 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures

Hi Guys,

I am considering the Ambition variant of the 4*4. It is about 2.2 lakhs less than the Elegance, on road. Are the features on the Elegance worth paying this additional amount?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Cheers!
lapsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2012, 11:10   #420
BHPian
 
KINI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: chennai
Posts: 301
Thanked: 101 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
A couple of my friends have bought their Lauras over the last few years from Gurudev. They speak well about the service etc.
Thank you Sir

The main reason I asked this question is because there are some bhpians who havent spoken too highly of them in some of the threads here.
Infact that was the main reason i chose the Cruze over the Laura last year.
But then your and other ownership reviews of the Yeti are making me rethink!!
KINI is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review) pramods Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 818 27th April 2016 18:08
Skoda dealers charging RTO tax & insurance on old (higher) price, not new (lower) price S2!!! Indian Car Dealerships 17 3rd October 2015 15:13
The Yeti® writes a car story - (and review of Skoda Superb) Sam Kapasi Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 406 6th July 2012 20:32
Experience with Skoda Dealerships in Pune (while purchasing Skoda Yeti) SushilBajpai Indian Car Dealerships 10 28th February 2012 16:12
YetiBlog® - The day the Yeti almost died (No Pictures - sorry!) Sam Kapasi Travelogues 166 7th October 2010 01:46


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:36.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks