Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 20th September 2012, 15:53   #856
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures

Quote:
So more importantly, need to choose between 4x2 or 4x4 machinery.
As usual, major driving will be done in the city (over pretty bad roads).
Will the 4x4 justify the extra dough spent?
My answer is consumerist rather than practical. Buy the best you can afford. This is a purchase that is going to be with you, hopefully, for a few years. Better not to spend those years wondering what you might have got.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2012, 15:53   #857
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari
Ok guys, a little help here..in a fix.
Now that we're almost set to buy the Yeti, there is confusion over the variant.
Either it will be the 4x2 Active or the 4x4 Elegance.
The Price difference is about 2.5-3 lacs(on road)

No intermediate versions considered because they don't offer enough extras over the active(my view), not lot more safety features in them or general kit.

Also, I have another question, the monthly running of the car would be less than 700 Kms, will it pose any problems with such a low running.(Sadly no TSI Yeti )

Sorry for back to back replies.
Just saw this post and wished to answer it.

The 4x4 Elegance has some features which are just excellent in my opinion.
To quote carcrazy, the Yeti is in a completely different class in terms of safety, handling etc.
In my opinion, it is not worth considering any other variant other than the Top Spec one simply because the price differential is justified by what you get in it.
While your running may today be 700 kms per month, you will find the strange tug within you, to drive much more, once the Yeti comes to reside in your stable.
I speak from experience because I find that I am now dreaming up excuses to get in it and buzz around on long distance trips which strictly speaking, are really not necessary and immediate!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2012, 16:07   #858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post

No intermediate versions considered because they don't offer enough extras over the active(my view), not lot more safety features in them or general kit.

Also, I have another question, the monthly running of the car would be less than 700 Kms, will it pose any problems with such a low running.(Sadly no TSI Yeti )
Are you sure the price difference is just 2.5-3 lacs?
If so then 4x4 Elegance is a no-brainer for me. Apart from 4x4 machinery you get higher spec engine, ESP, 6 airbags, plethora of off road assist features, leather seats, touchscreen display..the list goes on. IMO there is no contest here. If you can afford it, go for 4x4 Elegance.
C300 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2012, 16:36   #859
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Sorry for back to back replies.
Just saw this post and wished to answer it.

I speak from experience because I find that I am now dreaming up excuses to get in it and buzz around on long distance trips which strictly speaking, are really not necessary and immediate!
The engine tune for one ! I am not sure if it even has the same engine.

Rest in the link . A bit too loaded car to type the diff

http://www.carwale.com/research/comp...ar3=2002&car4=
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2012, 16:41   #860
BHPian

Thanks to everyone for such a prompt reply.

The low monthly mileage will not be made up by the long outstation runs. My father (an eye surgeon )will probably be the only one driving it and unlike shankar, it will be next to impossible to squeeze extra time.
So monthly running will remain Low.

We are yet to get a 2wd test drive so that will help further.

P.S. I heard about skoda increasing prices on August 1 and there was about 25k increase on elegance 4x4 but now there has been a further increase by 20k. The 4x2 ambition only got one price hike but elegance and active prices were hiked twice.

Last edited by agambhandari : 20th September 2012 at 16:52.
agambhandari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2012, 18:22   #861
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay0011 View Post
It's supposed to be like that .........the discount is meant to be on the ex showroom price as it is coming from the company and dealership.....not from the taxation authorities such as RTO, Insurance, etc. and this is one of the many places where the dealer hoodwinks the buyer.
What you're saying is correct, but then again I doubt the RTO will agree to taxing a vehicle on a lower invoice. They loose out that way. But anyway one can always check the RTO receipt which is handed over to the buyer and tally it with the figure in the quote and invoice
Cheers
deutscheafrikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2012, 21:26   #862
BHPian

There is one bit of information I seem to have missed. Is Yeti Bharat standard 4 or 3 or any other standard? Patna requires six monthly pollution checks and I was wondering if pollution testers would have Yeti's details.
Carcrazy60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2012, 00:25   #863
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, the engine in the Active is 110bhp. The one in Elegance is 140 bhp.

Are you sure there is just a 2.5-3 lakh difference between the 4x2 Active and 4x4 Elegance? If this is true, just go for the Elegance. There's a lot more difference than just the state of tune and 4x4 gear, more than enough to justify that difference.

When I bought the vehicle, that amount was the difference between an Elegance and the 4x2 Ambition, not the Active!

Please review the specs here first: http://www.skoda-auto.co.in/ind/mode...icalSpecs.aspx
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2012, 13:24   #864
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
So monthly running will remain Low.
Since you like the TSI and your running is similar to mine, why don't you bump up your budget slightly and take a look at the Superb Petrol MT. It can take all the rough roads and you will get heavy discounts. Its personality jump is higher too and maybe your father will like that. Have a look at my ownership thread here and see if it gives you some ideas - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...t-destiny.html (Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny)

Last edited by dkaile : 22nd September 2012 at 13:26.
dkaile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2012, 13:38   #865
BHPian

Steeroid is right on money. I had the exact same difference of 3L between 4x2 Ambition and 4x4 Elegance at the time of buying it. ( after the negotiated discount(s) applied to both ). While Shankar is right, the Elegence has some of the excellent features one would want, I too decided to go with 4x2 Ambition. I could not make myself shell out another 3 large once.

I have test driven both 4x4 and 4x2 prior to purchasing it. I did not find any difference in how they react in city at least. I really wish they bring out 4x2 Elegence. For folks like me who never leave the tar roads , that would be best bang for their buck.
samyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2012, 14:41   #866
BHPian

I think there are a number of important differences between the Active, Ambition and Elegance, the first 2 especially.

1. Active and Ambition get the 110BHP engine with a 5 speed as opposed to the 140BHP with a six speed for the Elegance
2. No ESP - (Ambition has this)
3. No HBA - Hydraulic Brake Assist (Ambition has this)
3. Swing system vs Bolero
3. Fabric seats vs leather (Ambition gets leather)
4. Auto dim rear mirrors (Ambition has this)
raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2012, 21:33   #867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile

Since you like the TSI and your running is similar to mine, why don't you bump up your budget slightly and take a look at the Superb Petrol MT. It can take all the rough roads and you will get heavy discounts. Its personality jump is higher too and maybe your father will like that. Have a look at my ownership thread here and see if it gives you some ideas - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...t-destiny.html (Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny)
Yes you seem to have provided a great answer and also ihad read your ownership review Much before posting on this forum but the superb just Does not pull our strings like the yeti. Our next car MUST BE AN SUV.Also it preferentially 4.3m long or lesser (not enough space in the house)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcrazy60 View Post
There is one bit of information I seem to have missed. Is Yeti Bharat standard 4 or 3 or any other standard? Patna requires six monthly pollution checks and I was wondering if pollution testers would have Yeti's details.
The Yeti sold in India is Euro4 (equivalent to Bharat STage IV). But those in europe are EU5 compliant.

Last edited by noopster : 24th September 2012 at 09:18.
Old 24th September 2012, 11:09   #868
BANNED

TDed the Yeti this weekend.
What a brilliant vehicle !! Its extremely fun to drive, there is enough punch in the engine, fit & finish is immaculate. managed to stall it twice
It starts from 14.3L OTR in Delhi now. Immense VFM . especially when you compare it with the new kid on the block- the Duster 110 RxZ (Opt) :13.2L OTR) {This does not have Traction Control but has Leather seats, hence comparing to this model}
Yeti feels and IS; a much more premium package.

The only thing it lacks is the rear row space. Oh come on now.. a few more inches and this would have been a crazy good package.
Just can not seat 5 in comfort. maybe, for short hauls.

They managed to again slash prices by 70k ( I remember seeing an ad for 12.99L , a few months ago)
I hope they will go for a round of price slash again around Diwali.
Then it will be a very strong contender. And I will revisit this baby.

But even then , I don't know: the XUV W6 is so darn tempting at that same exact price point !

P.S: the SA was saying that these are 2012 models and not 2011.
Inventory piling up at Skoda ( and not at Dealer's end) and that is why the discounts.
Is that true?

Last edited by BUXX : 24th September 2012 at 11:11.
BUXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2012, 12:31   #869
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX
TDed the Yeti this weekend.
What a brilliant vehicle !! Its extremely fun to drive, there is enough punch in the engine, fit & finish is immaculate. managed to stall it twice
It starts from 14.3L OTR in Delhi now. Immense VFM . especially when you compare it with the new kid on the block- the Duster 110 RxZ (Opt) :13.2L OTR) {This does not have Traction Control but has Leather seats, hence comparing to this model}
Yeti feels and IS; a much more premium package.

The only thing it lacks is the rear row space. Oh come on now.. a few more inches and this would have been a crazy good package.
Just can not seat 5 in comfort.

P.S: the SA was saying that these are 2012 models and not 2011.
Inventory piling up at Skoda ( and not at Dealer's end) and that is why the discounts.
Is that true?
The duster has even lesser rear seat space. I'd say that the yeti is almost as spacious as a d1 segment sedan.
Also the dealers say that this discount is from company, but the newspaper ad says "All offers from dealers only"
Old 24th September 2012, 15:28   #870
BANNED

^^ I meant on the width part.. It just can not seat 5 without cramping them...
BUXX is offline   Reply With Quote