Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2013, 22:01   #1291
Newbie
 
Spectator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Madras
Posts: 23
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
If the EGR cooler for Rapid is Rs.26000, why does the one in Yeti cost 1L?
And what exactly is the fault? Can you inspect the damage, post some picture? Are you leaking coolant? I think you should root cause this, get all details first..
Thanks. They later said it would be about 25k and Skoda will charge me 40%

The following is my rather long-winded story that I posted on FaceBook. I apologise for the length but I WAS upset.


Yet another “interesting” Skoda Service experience! My Yetii Elegance had done 34025 kms, when on a Saturday (16.02.2013) morning at about 9.00 a.m., as I was driving, I noticed the Glow Lamp System flash. I immediately called my Service Adviser in Gurudev Motors for help. As I was leaving abroad that day, I wanted my car checked, but he told me that they were fully booked and it would take a few days to give me an appointment. The car’s ECU puts it into an emergency mode and I drove home slowly. While abroad I booked for a service on March 4, 2013. I took the car on that day. They hooked up their computer and told me that the EGR Cooler had a problem and that they would write to Skoda for guidance. The next day I was told that Skoda had replied that EGR Cooler had to be replaced and though my car was about 3 months out of warranty, they would try and replace it free of cost under “goodwill” warranty. It was the following day (06.03.2013) that I was told that Skoda had offered a 60% discount and that I would have to pay a total of Rs 13,282/= and whether that was acceptable to me. Of course, I had no option but to agree, though it was a second major component failure under 35000 kms; earlier Skoda had replaced the air conditioner compressor, under warranty (if you look at the auto forums on internet you will realise that this is a design problem Skoda was aware of). I was told that they will place the order with Skoda and that the part will be shipped in 3 days and that it was a day’s job and the car will be returned to me.
I called them on 09.03.2013 and was told that the part had come and that the car would be ready on 11.03. 2013. Yesterday, a week after I left the car I was told that I can pick up the car today – 12.03.2013 – after a full 8 days. The reason given was that they had to email the test reports to Skoda to get Skoda’s clearance.
Today when I sent a text at 04.00 p.m., as there had been no intimation from them, I got a call from the Service Engineer to be told that the car was ready and that I should now shell out Rs 15,790/=. When I asked how there was such a huge difference, I was told that the earlier figure was only an estimate now they had the actual figure. Fair enough, but are Skoda’s estimates usually 15-16% off target? Any way I had no option but to cough up and take my car. I was asked to go for a test drive which I declined, as I was very upset and there was no way I could figure out a EGR Cooler’s performance from a test drive. I also asked to speak to the Service Manager but he would not come out – I could see him through the glass partition, dismissing the Service Engineer who went with my request.
The explanation given to me was that they ordered a certain part at a certain cost but Skoda shipped a different part which was more expensive!!! Is that my fault that I have to pay for it? Is this different part a proper replacement? These are some questions.
More surprises were in store when I came home and opened the trunk to look at the part that was replaced. I could see no signs of any replaced parts but instead found the plastic engine cover. I called Gurudev Motors to ask if the customer was expected to put back the engine cover himself. I was told that if I take my car back they would fit it for me. I refused. I was also told that the replaced part will not be returned to me (Skoda Policy) and that the bill given to me is proof enough that it was replaced!!! I sure hope it was.

This raises several questions.

1 Do such expensive Skoda cars have frequent component failures?
2 Though technically my car is not under warranty, are there not any implied warranties when they sell a luxury car? How will the Consumer Courts look at this?
3 Have other customers suffered similar fates?
4 Is no Skoda ASC capable or competent enough to diagnose problems? They always have to write to Skoda (happened when my AC failed too).
5 I have been servicing my car at the prescribed intervals. I do not think this failure could have happened without a warning. Was the EGR checked during the 30000km “free” service?
6 Is it not normal to return parts that were “replaced”

Of course, they told me that they had replaced the Skoda emblem free of cost “under warranty”!!! My emblem was perfectly in place when I gave the car in! (I do not know if they sent an email to Skoda about this too!)

I wish Skoda would wake up and treat Indian customers fairly. As I was standing there talking, many customers agreed with me that Skoda’s service was the pits.
Spectator is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2013, 06:47   #1292
Senior - BHPian
 
dkaile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Meerut, India
Posts: 2,721
Thanked: 3,240 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectator View Post
This raises several questions.

1 Do such expensive Skoda cars have frequent component failures?
2 Though technically my car is not under warranty, are there not any implied warranties when they sell a luxury car? How will the Consumer Courts look at this?
3 Have other customers suffered similar fates?
4 Is no Skoda ASC capable or competent enough to diagnose problems? They always have to write to Skoda (happened when my AC failed too).
5 I have been servicing my car at the prescribed intervals. I do not think this failure could have happened without a warning. Was the EGR checked during the 30000km “free” service?
6 Is it not normal to return parts that were “replaced”
Well my recent service experience was quite different. The Service Manager was always asking for my feedback and
the service advisor was always nearby. They returned back all the parts replaced when I asked for them and I posted photos on my thread.

My take on your issues -
1. No
2. No. Our consumer courts are not competent enough and there are many lacunas.
3. Yes. Depends upon how proactive you are. My ASC people are afraid of me due to my technical knowledge as well as my approach to the very top.
4. They are improving. Also depends upon their work load.
5. That is for you to research and confirm.
6. No. Maybe as you had not paid for the parts in full, they might have to send the damaged replaced part back for some R&D.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2013, 07:08   #1293
Distinguished - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 7,591
Thanked: 4,504 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Well my recent service experience was quite different. The Service Manager was always asking for my feedback and
the service advisor was always nearby. They returned back all the parts replaced when I asked for them and I posted photos on my thread.

My take on your issues -
1. No
2. No. Our consumer courts are not competent enough and there are many lacunas.
3. Yes. Depends upon how proactive you are. My ASC people are afraid of me due to my technical knowledge as well as my approach to the very top.
4. They are improving. Also depends upon their work load.
5. That is for you to research and confirm.
6. No. Maybe as you had not paid for the parts in full, they might have to send the damaged replaced part back for some R&D.
Nice, brief and to the point answers.

I agree with what you say because this has been my experience too, so far. Plus, the Vinayak guys in Bangalore have really stepped up to help out in my particular case, for the minor issues that I have approached them with.
Ref returning parts replaced under warranty, yes they need to send back the replaced part for R&D purposes.
Our consumer courts are too full of cases and on account of a very high workload they are no longer as efficient as they were in the '90's.
Indeed we have too few courtrooms and too few working hours/ days for the courts, given the frightening number of cases that are yet in queue...
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2013, 08:23   #1294
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Patna
Posts: 195
Thanked: 31 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectator View Post

Thanks. They later said it would be about 25k and Skoda will charge me 40%

The following is my rather long-winded story that I posted on FaceBook. I apologise for the length but I WAS upset.

Yet another “interesting” Skoda Service experience! My Yetii Elegance had done 34025 kms, when on a Saturday (16.02.2013) morning at about 9.00 a.m., as I was driving, I noticed the Glow Lamp System flash. I

I wish Skoda would wake up and treat Indian customers fairly. As I was standing there talking, many customers agreed with me that Skoda’s service was the pits.
Did you experience a drop in mileage before it happened? Is there anything one can look out for?

When two glow plugs on my 2007 swift vdi failed I had noticed a drop in mileage which I had attributed to faulty valve pins in the tyres leaking air.

Some posts on briskoda seem to suggest driving faster could be solution. Maybe it increases the speed of re circulation.
Carcrazy60 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2013, 08:32   #1295
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 984
Thanked: 631 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures

Hi Everyone,

Based on my experience, I would suggest everyone NEVER to leave your cars overnight with Skoda workshops, unless its really necessary. God knows who all practice "servicing" on our cars. It could be very well that your original EGR valve was removed and sold to someone at a "black" price and the faulty one put in your vehicle.

Else, they would not have offered to replace free of cost in the first place.

The skoda ASC had removed most of my dash and door panels and have simply put them back without any clips resulting in rattling. I'm now considering replacing the entire clips/screws kit.
nitinbose is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2013, 10:44   #1296
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,352
Thanked: 816 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectator View Post
Thanks. They later said it would be about 25k and Skoda will charge me 40%


1 Do such expensive Skoda cars have frequent component failures?
Thanks for the update.
It's a good thing that they offered to cover some of the cost (and they will keep the old part if they claim to have done this in good-will warranty), however, did you try to get an answer to the most important question that I have been asking - why did EGR cooler fail in the first place???
And did you take pictures of the faulty one (irrespective of whether there was anything that can be visibly detected)?

And what about the 1 lakh+ estimate that you were initially talking about? Skoda service is a sad joke...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
3. Yes. Depends upon how proactive you are. My ASC people are afraid of me due to my technical knowledge as well as my approach to the very top.
Yes, and even if the customer is not knowledgeable, as long as he seems to care about his car and every small detail of the work done, these guys generally refrain from cheating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcrazy60 View Post
Did you experience a drop in mileage before it happened? Is there anything one can look out for?

When two glow plugs on my 2007 swift vdi failed I had noticed a drop in mileage which I had attributed to faulty valve pins in the tyres leaking air.

Some posts on briskoda seem to suggest driving faster could be solution. Maybe it increases the speed of re circulation.
Yes, this part is getting neglected in this case. They must find the root cause. EGR cooler should not fail. And if it is on it's way out, there have to be some progressive symptoms, though I am open to learn if this is not necessarily true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
Hi Everyone,

Based on my experience, I would suggest everyone NEVER to leave your cars overnight with Skoda workshops, unless its really necessary. God knows who all practice "servicing" on our cars. It could be very well that your original EGR valve was removed and sold to someone at a "black" price and the faulty one put in your vehicle.

Else, they would not have offered to replace free of cost in the first place.

The skoda ASC had removed most of my dash and door panels and have simply put them back without any clips resulting in rattling. I'm now considering replacing the entire clips/screws kit.
+1 to this.
In fact, I say don't go to the Skoda workshop if you really don't have to. And if you have to, stay with the car all the time no matter what they say. It's a pain but can't help it - until we find some genuine and honest guy in the service center and develop good relations with him...

Last edited by anandpadhye : 13th March 2013 at 10:47.
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2013, 11:36   #1297
BHPian
 
TheTeacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Space-Time
Posts: 473
Thanked: 312 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures

@Spectator, do you live in the apartment complex next to A2B in Velachery? I live there and there's a Yeti parked near my block. I haven't checked which trim it is.
TheTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2013, 12:17   #1298
Newbie
 
Spectator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Madras
Posts: 23
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
@Spectator, do you live in the apartment complex next to A2B in Velachery? I live there and there's a Yeti parked near my block. I haven't checked which trim it is.
Nopes! I live in Chetpet, off Spur Tank Road. Mine was one of the first Yetis delivered in 2010.
Spectator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2013, 12:36   #1299
Newbie
 
Spectator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Madras
Posts: 23
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
why did EGR cooler fail in the first place???

Yes, this part is getting neglected in this case. They must find the root cause. EGR cooler should not fail.

In fact, I say don't go to the Skoda workshop if you really don't have to. And if you have to, stay with the car all the time no matter what they say. It's a pain but can't help it - until we find some genuine and honest guy in the service center and develop good relations with him...
No, they have not told me why it has failed. I again called them just now, the answer was that it gas both electronic and mechanicsl components and the electronics failed and the whole thing had to be replaced.

I did not have any warnings, at all of the impending failure...temp guage was normal, mileage was as usual - mixed driving gets me about 14.5kms. I tend to drive fast on the highways, 120-140, and most of my mileage has been clocked on the highways.

You are not allowed inside their service area! While I was OK with the old predominantly mechanical contraptions that cars were back when I started driving in the early 70s, I must admit that with the modern machines and their electronics, I am lost... The gizmos even put the car into an emergency "Limp to the ASC" mode! Are there any viable alternatives? Independent garages? Now that my car is ut of warranty, I would not mind going elsewhere.
Spectator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2013, 14:22   #1300
Senior - BHPian
 
Santoshbhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,613
Thanked: 2,090 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectator View Post
Thanks. They later said it would be about 25k and Skoda will charge me 40%

The following is my rather long-winded story that I posted on FaceBook. I apologise for the length but I WAS upset.
I believe Gurudev is the sole dealer for Chennai which is one big mistake that Skoda is making. I have read plenty of rants from aggrieved clients of Gurudev motors. Even in Bangalore when TAFE was the sole dealer they had a similar attitude. Ever since Vinayak was given dealership, their attitude has improved. Skoda's after sales service has earned a bad name due to unprofessional behaviour and attitude from its service partners like Gurudev and the parent company's apathy when the customer approaches them.

The dealer has nothing to lose here since it is Skoda that is compensating the customer. Wish SKoda realised that poor handling of such cases by their dealers leaves such a bitter taste that the customer vows never to touch a Skoda product again, not to mention the negative publicity that would be the direct result of such experiences. I am sure a majority of prospective Yeti customers (who are already scarce) will be referring this, the Offical Yeti Rerview on Team-Bhp before making their purchase decision. Can Skoda afford such negative publicity in today's tough automobile market?

Did they give you the serial number of the part that they have replaced? At least that would give you some comfort as you would know xxxx part carrying xxxx serial number was replaced on xxxxx date. This replaced part should carry a warranty of another year atleast considering it is not cheap and an OE Skoda part. Even if they replace it 100% free of cost under goodwill warranty, you are entitled to get this info. Even if they are not willing to part with the defective part, they should atleast show it to you for your inspection. After all it came from YOUR car, which YOU have paid for!
Santoshbhat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2013, 18:29   #1301
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,352
Thanked: 816 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectator View Post
No, they have not told me why it has failed. I again called them just now, the answer was that it gas both electronic and mechanicsl components and the electronics failed and the whole thing had to be replaced.
OK, so it was an electronics/electrical problem? I hope they checked all wiring and fuses etc so that it does not happen again. If it had anything to do with the speedbreaker incident the night before - try taking that speedbreaker again at the same speed and see if it happens again .

BTW, for electrical/electronic issues, unfortunately, ASC is the best option, roadside third parties will most likely spoil the stuff. And don't give a damn about "customers are not allowed in the service area". Simply walk-in periodically and tell them you need to understand what's going on and keep in touch with the SA. This will definately make them serious and dilligent in their approach to the job.
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2013, 20:01   #1302
Newbie
 
Spectator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Madras
Posts: 23
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
If it had anything to do with the speedbreaker incident the night before - try taking that speedbreaker again at the same speed and see if it happens again .
Thanks. Mine was not the speed breaker one That was someone else and some other issue. Cheers!
Spectator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 11:40   #1303
Newbie
 
darora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ban
Posts: 8
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures

Need some help and advice. I have a New Yeti (4x4) and have done only 2000kms until now. I see a lot of smoke coming out from the exhaust and today in idling conditions there was lot of it and fellow commuters - knocked my windows to point it out. Is this a diesel issue?




Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.Thanks.

Last edited by .anshuman : 23rd March 2013 at 08:59. Reason: See note in post
darora is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 22nd March 2013, 13:55   #1304
BHPian
 
abbey4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 436
Thanked: 100 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures

Here's update on My Yeti. The issue turned out to be ABS Controller Module. Here's the story

After my last post in first week of march, i escalated the issue to skoda corporate and was surprised to see how prompt they were. Recieved calle from them within 12 hours of writing email (i wrote mail at midnight). And within 2 days skoda engineers visited the service center. It was finally diagnosed to ABD module issue because of which error code G45 RHS sensor issue was happening (remember Right wheel sensor was already replaced). It took another 3-4 days for the parts to be made available. Because of weekend they couldn't deliver the car as they needed to close the issue from skoda technical dept before they could hand over the car to me. Last week i got my car back.

Now during this period skoda approved me courtesy car but no car was available at service center they approved Taxi bill. Now i used the taxi but the local taxi guy doesn't have service tax registration. Now service center is saying it won't get approved because of lack of TIN number etc. Do i have any option (i enquired a lot of taxi guy and none of the local one's have TIN number). If i could hae known it before, i could have used radio taxi rather than local taxi guy. Anyone knows what the tax laws says?
abbey4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 14:06   #1305
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,384
Thanked: 5,229 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by darora View Post
Need some help and advice.... I have a New Yeti (4x4) and have done only 2000kms until now.... I see a lot of smoke coming out from the exhaust and today in idling conditions there was lot of it and fellow commuters - knocked my windows to point it out.... is this a diesel issue?
What colour is the smoke, and what diesel are you filling in the car?
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review) pramods Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 818 27th April 2016 18:08
Skoda dealers charging RTO tax & insurance on old (higher) price, not new (lower) price S2!!! Indian Car Dealerships 17 3rd October 2015 15:13
The Yeti® writes a car story - (and review of Skoda Superb) Sam Kapasi Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 406 6th July 2012 20:32
Experience with Skoda Dealerships in Pune (while purchasing Skoda Yeti) SushilBajpai Indian Car Dealerships 10 28th February 2012 16:12
YetiBlog® - The day the Yeti almost died (No Pictures - sorry!) Sam Kapasi Travelogues 166 7th October 2010 01:46


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:40.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks