Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 5th July 2011, 10:10   #481
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast&furious
What might have caused that creek sound?Was it because of the high speed or the lack of complete depression of the clutch?
That would be because the clutch was not completely disengaged when changing gears. Never change gears without completely pressing the clutch, and never engage reverse without completely stopping the car (speed=0kmph).
VeluM is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2011, 11:27   #482
BHPian

Default Re: Toyota Etios : Test Drive & Review

Yep you're probably right.

Any tips to soften the gearshifts?I want it to get a little more smooth.It feels a little rough right now(especially the 5th gear).
fast&furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2011, 17:42   #483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast&furious View Post
Just got my Etios(Black,V) from the dealer.Will write a detailed review later.
Congrats fast&furious for your new car. Red and Black are favourite colours for Etios. Shall await your ownership review on the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Please follow a 300-300-400km [total 1000 km] break up.

Ist 300 km - Shift at 2000-2500 rpm
2nd 300 km - Shift @ 2500-3500 rpm
Last 400 km - Try to red line in 1 & 2 gears and keep varying the speeds in all gears [try to shift as high as possible]. Don't keep the rpm constant over long journeys.
Hey, swiftnfurious, that's some neat information! I just completed a run of 1600 km on my Etios! Never revved too hard. And upshifted at around 2000+ rpm usually. Any suggestions for me at this stage?
RadiantKarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2011, 19:39   #484
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantKarma View Post
Hey, swiftnfurious, that's some neat information! I just completed a run of 1600 km on my Etios! Never revved too hard. And upshifted at around 2000+ rpm usually. Any suggestions for me at this stage?
Since you didn't rev it high, I would suggest you to do that as well for couple of 100s of kms. But I guess damage will still be least since you didn't go beyond. So drive your car around happily. How is the mileage factor for you? And most important, when you red line and rev hard, please give the FE a pass. It will not be great during the time.

Quote:
Toyota recommends a 1600 Km long run-in period!!!
Thats surprising, any break up / instructions are provided on the running in?

Quote:
I'm facing some issues with the gearbox.

Another problem I had today: I was driving in 5th gear and while approaching a bend I decelerated to about 45 Kmph and tried to downshift to 4th.As I shift to 4th it suddenly made a loud 'creeeek'. I then moved it to N and then came back to 4 again and this time things went smoothly. It was a horrifying moment and I didn't shift to 5 again throughout the journey.
Guess the problem is with your driving style, not the gear box. Is this your first car? If not, what all cars have you driven? The horrfying moment would have been becaause when you tried to shift down to 4, you would have almost slotted into the reverse gear and hence all those sound [if you are sure you had pressed the clutch properly, else could have been a problem with clutch not fully depressed].

Even I had this problem when I drove the 800 / Wagon R [never had this problem in my Swift for 2.5 years] and this has more to do with the play of the lever / your driving style. Don't worry, its just a matter of time before you get used to it. So one tip for down shifting is, press down the clutch and tap the gear to the middle slot and let it go to Neutral and then simply pull it back to 4th. While up shifting to 5th, please make sure you use some extra force to slot it from 4th gear.''

And dont worry, you car is all fine, so please dont stop using 5th and all.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 5th July 2011 at 19:50.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2011, 19:48   #485
Distinguished - BHPian

Adding this as back to back post since time out happened for the above one.

Quote:
Any tips to soften the gearshifts?I want it to get a little more smooth.It feels a little rough right now(especially the 5th gear).
Keep driving, it should automatically loosen up. Frankly, I love the tight shifts and I always miss that feel in my car which was there only for the initial time. That gives a sense of "new" car.

And regarding the 5th gear, should be just a matter of getting used to.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 5th July 2011 at 20:10.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2011, 21:43   #486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Since you didn't rev it high, I would suggest you to do that as well for couple of 100s of kms. But I guess damage will still be least since you didn't go beyond. So drive your car around happily. How is the mileage factor for you? And most important, when you red line and rev hard, please give the FE a pass. It will not be great during the time.
Thanks swiftnfurious for the prompt response. I get a little over 13 kmpl in city with AC on. As you can see, I am not a high-revving driver, and I don't feel the need for it with excellent low-end torque in Etios.
Old 5th July 2011, 21:46   #487
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As you can see, I am not a high-revving driver, and I don't feel the need for it with excellent low-end torque in Etios.
I didn't mention high revving for the sporty factor. It was more in line to the running in of the engine. This mode is called Italian Tuning or so and helps the engine "bed" well during the running in time.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2011, 21:53   #488
BHPian

^^Thanks again buddy. I understood the intent of your communication.

I pointed out to the lack of high-revv in my driving style for giving better understanding of the mileage figure of my car. Guess two things got mixed up!
Old 5th July 2011, 22:51   #489
BHPian

Here's a scanned image of the manual that describes the run-in/ break-in procedure.
Name:  manual_scan1.jpg
Views: 1196
Size:  267.6 KB

It's not my first car.I own a M800 also.And I can remember this thing happening in that car also. And if I remember correctly,it happened when I pushed the lever even after it actually moved to 4th.I don't know if the same thing happened with the Etios. I drove an Alto for quite some time.But never had this issue with its 5th gear either (it was very smooth) :(.But it was more than 50K kms old.
Old 6th July 2011, 00:06   #490
BHPian

Sorry for posting something off topic here.But I'm so happy that I cant control myself.I found a way to get into my profile folks...Kudos to me!
The URL of the other guy's profile is hxxp://www.team-bhp.com/forum/members/fast-and-furious.htmlTo launch my profile replace the 'and' with 'amp'
ie. hxxp://www.team-bhp.com/forum/members/fast-amp-furious.html

Sorry again mods for posting it here.But if I post it somewhere else, nobody will see it. I hope you understand the situation. You may move it to some other thread or delete it after some time. And sorry for using hxxp instead of http. I did that to prevent the url shortening so that readers will be able to see the difference between URLs. Forgive me.
Old 6th July 2011, 11:37   #491
BHPian

Due to some technical issues my profile is not available.The profile that you see belongs to some other id called 'fastandfurious'.

Guess you are still invisible! Time to PM the mods directly.

Quote:
Sorry for posting something off topic here.But I'm so happy that I cant control myself.I found a way to get into my profile folks...Kudos to me!
ani_meher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 14:29   #492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Due to some technical issues my profile is not available.The profile that you see belongs to some other id called 'fastandfurious'.

Guess you are still invisible! Time to PM the mods directly.
You still cant get into my profile directly buddy(I mean using the 'View Public Profile option. They might need to add some extra lines into the code for that). What I found out is the URL of my profile. To view my profile, go to hxxp://www.team-bhp.com/forum/members/fast-amp-furious.html (notice that I replaced the 'and' with 'amp'.)

I sent 3 letters to the web master, posted this issue in the 'suggestions for team-BHP thread'. But no response till now. I'm not brave enough to PM a mod .

Last edited by fast&furious : 6th July 2011 at 14:42.
Old 18th July 2011, 10:08   #493
BHPian

Hi. My new Etios V (Blue Silver) was delivered to me on 13th July after a 6 months wait. While I will share my detailed experience later alongwith pictures, the initial feeling is very good. Many thanks to the views given by GTO, Regular Indian, Upgrade & Radiant Karma that helped me finalise my decision. As a double bonus, my profile is approved in team BHP today. :-)
amateurpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2011, 11:26   #494
BHPian

Hey amateurpro,

Congratulations on your new Etios! It's a lovely colour you've picked. I'm glad my views helped you in decision-making and hope you get fully satisfied with the ownership. And it really is a long wait you'd to undergo. Was it because of late delivery by the dealer, or you chose to hold taking the delivery?

Also welcome aboard on this great forum. Will be looking forward to your initial ownership report asap.

Wishing you safe crunching of miles after happy miles.
Old 18th July 2011, 13:30   #495
BHPian

Thanks Radiant Kharma. I would take 50% responsibility for the delay (may be a bit more). I booked a G (SP) model on Jan 2011 and changed the booking to V model (same colour) in Feb 2011. The dealer was ready to deliver the Etios-V by Apr 2011 and I requested for two more months time (To let my good old Estilo complete 4 and a half years before leaving me and to get confused further by considering other options ).

Now, the waiting period for the sedan should be two months or less. The dealer yard was flooded with Etios sedans when I had gone to take the first look at my car. VX and G (with or without SP) seem to be the hot choices if one goes by the number of vehicles parked there.

Quote:
Hey amateurpro,

Congratulations on your new Etios! It's a lovely colour you've picked. I'm glad my views helped you in decision-making and hope you get fully satisfied with the ownership. And it really is a long wait you'd to undergo. Was it because of late delivery by the dealer, or you chose to hold taking the delivery?

Also welcome aboard on this great forum. Will be looking forward to your initial ownership report asap.

Wishing you safe crunching of miles after happy miles.
amateurpro is offline   Reply With Quote