Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 29th July 2011, 14:11   #511
BHPian

Default Re: Toyota Etios : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by heman_369 View Post
I am a proud owner of Etios VX vermillion red for the past 5 months and 6500 kms. I must admit I am one of those who booked the Etios on the 3rd day of the launch even before seeing the car in person, forget the test drive and to add to it this was the very first car that i was buying.
Welcome to the Team! Good to see one more happy Etios owner. Proves that ignorance is indeed bliss, as you got a great car without even a TD! Hope to see your detailed ownership experience asap. I now have the company on the forum for VX.

Quote:
What i Hate : Absence of electric mirrors, absence of Auto door lock...Common Toyota this is not done !
Mate, that's precisely what I would expect from a Toyota! IMHO, they always give you a car low on features/equipment for the segment. And some of them are going to be sore points for you. You get something else, intangible, yet more valuable. You know what I mean.

Still, to give you some heart, let me share that even ANHC does not come with door auto lock. During my TD of the car, I enquired with the SP about it. Was given some blah blah about Honda thoughtfully skipping on it due to some safety related concern I could not understand. And many cars like Vista & Ritz also come without e-ORVMs, though I agree it's a real pain adjusting the passenger side mirror.

Enjoy crunching miles after happy miles...
RadiantKarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2011, 20:12   #512
BHPian

Smile Re: Toyota Etios : Test Drive & Review

Now I am officially

One of the dealers in Bangalore is giving 'INSURANCE FREE', yes you read that right, on ETIOS if you buy right-away, I do not know if it is valid only up to this month end, but its true.

I had gone for a TD of Liva with one of my friend who was interested to buy it, but got swayed by Etios. So he was confused (also with lot more other hatches) but his wife was insistent that they should go for a sedan now, as expected my stingy friend was cribbing about his tight budget, and then came the shocker from the sales guy, almost whispering in my ear. Oh yes this is confidential info and so I am under a pledge not to tell his name or that of the dealership. But I have decided to give in for the benefit of our fellow bhpiens here. Guess which is the youngest dealer of Toyota in Bangalore (North, OK Hebbal). Can't be easier than this, please let me keep my promise.

In the name of competition
zulfi hansi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2011, 03:57   #513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
Now I am officially

One of the dealers in Bangalore is giving 'INSURANCE FREE', yes you read that right, on ETIOS if you buy right-away, I do not know if it is valid only up to this month end, but its true.

I had gone for a TD of Liva with one of my friend who was interested to buy it, but got swayed by Etios. So he was confused (also with lot more other hatches) but his wife was insistent that they should go for a sedan now, as expected my stingy friend was cribbing about his tight budget, and then came the shocker from the sales guy, almost whispering in my ear. Oh yes this is confidential info and so I am under a pledge not to tell his name or that of the dealership. But I have decided to give in for the benefit of our fellow bhpiens here. Guess which is the youngest dealer of Toyota in Bangalore (North, OK Hebbal). Can't be easier than this, please let me keep my promise.

In the name of competition
that's right. Insurance is free (only) on the VX this month. Booked it last week.
raj_srini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2011, 16:39   #514
Distinguished - BHPian

Just got the news on the Etios D coming in Sept with the same engine as 1.4L D4D Altis, albeit lower power with FGT.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2011, 19:29   #515
BHPian

makes me think if it is worth the wait to transition from Petrol to Diesel.
raj_srini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2011, 19:38   #516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Just got the news on the Etios D coming in Sept with the same engine as 1.4L D4D Altis, albeit lower power with FGT.
I guess waiting period will 1 year for this
Revention is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2011, 19:52   #517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Indeed. The same news is being carried by ICB on its website.

Toyota Etios Sedan Diesel: Coming in September 2011? | IndianCarsBikes.in

If this is indeed the case, dzire might have to run for cover
funkyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2011, 20:10   #518
BHPian

A request to all the Etios owners: Has any one of you felt that lack of height adjustable driver seat is an issue?
mohan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2011, 21:59   #519
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyp View Post
Indeed. The same news is being carried by ICB on its website.

If this is indeed the case, dzire might have to run for cover
Why do you think Maruti is so restless and are working on a Dzire CS version ?!
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2011, 10:43   #520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
A request to all the Etios owners: Has any one of you felt that lack of height adjustable driver seat is an issue?
Here is this from my ownership report specifically on this aspect:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantKarma View Post
I personally have no issues with this. I am 56 and Ive not been any more comfortable in any other car in its driver seat. A shorter driver may feel the need for this though.
Hope this helps. Let me make a humble suggestion at the same time. Before deciding, pl. do form your own opinion by taking a spin.

Cheers.
RadiantKarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2011, 10:58   #521
BHPian

if you have a look at the etios driver seat carefully you would notice that it is raised a notch higher than rest of the cars. I am 5.7", my wife 5.3" and we no issues. I think the seat height is good enough from say 5.2".
heman_369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2011, 18:46   #522
BHPian

I think it would a bit difficult for people under 5'5" to drive the Etios.You can drive it but I'm sure it wont be very comfortable.You will be sitting very close to the steering wheel which is not good either(especially if equipped with airbags).

Last edited by fast&furious : 1st August 2011 at 18:49.
fast&furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2011, 22:45   #523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantKarma View Post

Still, to give you some heart, let me share that even ANHC does not come with door auto lock.
The Honda sales guy may be right when he says not having auto door lock adds to the safety. Not having auto lock gives total control to the driver.

There are times the auto door lock feature used to annoy us. A passenger who tries opening the door before the engine comes to a halt would find his door getting jammed. While this is supposed to be for the passenger's safety, it was always an inconvenience in my previous car.

Talking of City, does CRV (around 4 times the price of Etios) have an auto door lock?
amateurpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2011, 23:12   #524
BHPian

Few quick words on performance and other aspects.

1) Engine : Brilliant for city driving. Can feel the power right from word go. Have done a short (60 kms or so) highway trip and that felt good too. The car felt stable and firmly planted at a speed of 110 kmph (max I have touched so far in Etios) in the highway. I was not sure if I could go faster since my car was too new to go any faster. The RPM reading was 3000 at 5th gear when the speedo touched 110 kmph. My feeling is, a speed of 140 - 150 kmph should be comfortable in good highways.

2) Comfort : Seating comfort is fantastic. Looks could deceive for sure. A/C is fine as our family is comfortable with mild A/C. I would not rate this A/C as super chill but it suits us fine. I have not yet checked the chilled glove box and I think we might need a long trip to check that (a 300 km + trip). Quality of music system is good (my expectations may be basic). USB offers the best quality audio (Am I imagining?) as compared to CD or radio. One small note before one buys a pen drive. Remember to buy pendrive with a capacity of 4GB or less (2GB is hardly available these days and so look for 4GB) as 8GB pendrive would not work in Toyota music system in V model. Now, please don't assume that I actualy bought a 8GB pendrive and broke my head for a week before buying the 4GB solution.

3) Space : Wow

4) Safety : Rear defogger does its job well on rainy days. The single wiper has an amazing reach and does its job admirably. On ABS, I do not have any experience yet.

5) Mileage : My initial guess is it could be in the range of 10-11 kmpl. The digital bars in Etios are no better than the analogue needle in indicating the exact fuel level. If it is digital, why cannot it be numeric? A fuel level indicator that says "36.5 litres" would be far simpler and user friendly. Why can't a manufacturer give such simple solutions?
amateurpro is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 00:50   #525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amateurpro View Post
5) Mileage : My initial guess is it could be in the range of 10-11 kmpl. The digital bars in Etios are no better than the analogue needle in indicating the exact fuel level. If it is digital, why cannot it be numeric? A fuel level indicator that says "36.5 litres" would be far simpler and user friendly. Why can't a manufacturer give such simple solutions?
I guess it's because only a clear drop in the fuel level triggers some action.So if they indicate it in litres the next reading after 40 might be 35 which is not that useful IMHO.By the way,you are very correct about the fuel gauge in the Etios.I think it's even worse than the analogue one. I have no trouble using the speedo or tacho though.I believe it's just a matter of getting used to it.What do you think?

Last edited by fast&furious : 2nd August 2011 at 00:54.
fast&furious is offline   Reply With Quote