Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 17th October 2016, 11:10   #931
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)
Default Re: Toyota Etios : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjain2054 View Post
My father, 66, wants to own a good car. He drives <200kms a month but he would still like to own a good car. A retired govt employee, he wants to keep it within 10L for sure. Preferably 7-8lakhs but ok to stretch for a good car.
I would recommend an Automatic petrol car given his age & running expected.

Check out the new Brio automatic, a friend of mine has it & she is very happy - is perfectly in your budget.

Or you can even consider the VW Polo TSi, a lovely driver's car - but budget around 9+ lakhs.

Or maybe a Ford Ecosport AT will be more suitable as its tall too, will have easy ingress/egress but a higher budget, 10+ lakhs.
gsurya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2016, 11:20   #932
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Engine, engine, engine. The Etios' 1.5L is excellent, the Liva's 1.2L is lame.
For driving 200 kms a month inside Chandigarh, I'd say the 1.2 is enough. Again, why lug a boot around just for the 1.5? Now if the Liva 1.5 that I have was available, I'd perhaps go with that one, but it isn't and a diesel isn't a good engine for short runs.

Last edited by Sawyer : 17th October 2016 at 11:25.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2016, 11:39   #933
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjain2054 View Post
My father, 66, wants to own a good car. He drives <200kms a month but he would still like to own a good car. A retired govt employee, he wants to keep it within 10L for sure. Preferably 7-8lakhs but ok to stretch for a good car....

...the JAPS ...
You haven't mentioned how long you wish to keep the car nor if its for primary use in the city/ highways.

Down here in Bangalore/ south, the Etios Diesel holds a comfortable premium in the used-car market over its petrol sibling of same vintage. Also its easier to sell owing to the popularity amongst cabbies.

Given a choice, I would prefer the diesel torque over that offered by the petrol. Test drive both the petrol & diesel variants and you will understand

However the clutch is softer on the petrol variant.

OT: "Japs" is considered as an ethnic slur in some regions. Am sure you did not use it intentionally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
With that kind of running, it's a no-brainer. Go with the petrol. Excellent torque, slick gearshift & very enjoyable dynamics. The Etios corners f-l-a-t!

Engine, engine, engine. The Etios' 1.5L is excellent, the Liva's 1.2L is lame.
Somehow I felt the diesel variant to be more refined on the highways. Maybe the petrol example am comparing with was an abused one.
vinjosep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2016, 11:51   #934
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Would you prefer the Etios (petrol or diesel aside) over your Sunny workhourse
Does he plan to hire a chauffer or will this be a self driven car in which case the extra length of sunny will be mostly unutilized.

Quote:
He drives <200kms a month but he would still like to own a good car.
Quote:
he is looking for a GOOD car that has quality, good driving pleasure (he is quite the driver), space and a little pampering with features etc wont be a bad idea
I have not driven Petrol Etios, but we own couple of Diesel Liva's and I can tell you that the diesel engine on these twins is probably most underrated and best in class. Even though his driving is less, I will suggest to go for Diesel Liva unless he specifically needs a boot to carry goods or have a feel good factor of driving a sedan. Selling a Diesel Toyota is far easy and rewarding over anything else in this part of country

Quote:
I know i can get Corolla, accord, CRV etc . Good idea to go for >3year old car? I want help with a good adviser/ mechanic in chandigarh who can help Dad buy a clean second hand JAP from sector 7 sunday market.
Avoid market, instead check "Car for Sale" section in The Sunday Tribune. Look out for a single owner car preferably who goes to a job and is not in business or better if you can find one in northern sectors of Madhya Marg in company of some high end cars. Of all the cars you have listed in preowned, I will recommend Corolla. Having owned one since 2003 and now with over 250 Thousand Km it still runs trouble free.

Last edited by Turbanator : 18th October 2016 at 11:58.
Turbanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2016, 00:39   #935
BHPian

I am interested in having the new clutch mechanism on the platinum etios on my older etios version which has a harder clutch. Could anyone let me know if this is possible?
automachine is offline   Reply With Quote