Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2012, 12:19   #2176
Senior - BHPian
 
beejay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Nilgiris
Posts: 1,916
Thanked: 108 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

After a lot of thought, I have decided to take the plunge for the new Thar.
OTR costs 787.
I have requested for a TD and will book only after.

Hope its a wise choice?

The intent is primarily for travel and I will use my CJ340 for off road.

EDIT_Does anyone have pictures of the AC set up and also of the dash board? The dealer does not have the new thar on display, does anyone have any pictures?

Last edited by beejay : 7th June 2012 at 12:27.
beejay is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2012, 20:27   #2177
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,548
Thanked: 423 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
EDIT_Does anyone have pictures of the AC set up and also of the dash board? The dealer does not have the new thar on display, does anyone have any pictures?
It will be similar to a Bolero VLX dash board. Check the insides of the Bolero VLX and expect a similar kind of work if it comes factory fitted.

And Congrats on your decision - the THAR is a good vehicle within limits
headers is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2012, 16:17   #2178
Senior - BHPian
 
madan80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 1,356
Thanked: 73 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
After a lot of thought, I have decided to take the plunge for the new Thar.
OTR costs 787.
I have requested for a TD and will book only after.

Hope its a wise choice?

The intent is primarily for travel and I will use my CJ340 for off road.

EDIT_Does anyone have pictures of the AC set up and also of the dash board? The dealer does not have the new thar on display, does anyone have any pictures?

nice one beejay! Next time in town - im taking a ride in the Thar!
so are you retiring the Palio?

Last edited by madan80 : 8th June 2012 at 16:18.
madan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2012, 16:37   #2179
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 3,059
Thanked: 4,562 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Dear Vinod / Bijoy - Aah, finally! You guys are living our dream! Thanks. .

WOW! YES!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

PS - these photographs are taken from an open site off the internet.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp 1.bmp (796.3 KB, 2520 views)
File Type: bmp 2.bmp (802.2 KB, 1102 views)
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2012, 17:41   #2180
Senior - BHPian
 
navpreet318's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Dehradun
Posts: 1,697
Thanked: 802 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Vinod / Bijoy - Aah, finally! You guys are living our dream! Thanks. .

WOW! YES!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

PS - these photographs are taken from an open site off the internet.

BD sir thats the New Rally jeep of Sunny Siddhu. He earlier had the V6 Grand Vitara which had amazing suspension. Even in this Thar he has used FOX suspension. And its building into a good car. This will be the true test of the Thar now. You should check his updates through the northern motorsports rally circle. He is quite well known and a very very talented rally driver.
navpreet318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2012, 09:27   #2181
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 3,059
Thanked: 4,562 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
BD sir thats the New Rally jeep of Sunny Siddhu. He earlier had the V6 Grand Vitara which had amazing suspension. Even in this Thar he has used FOX suspension. And its building into a good car. This will be the true test of the Thar now. You should check his updates through the northern motorsports rally circle. He is quite well known and a very very talented rally driver.
Dear Navpreet - yes, I know. This combination of car and driver is deadly and perfect. If this thing lasts the distance, the result is almost a foregone conclusion. This is the final test. This is what I always wanted, I knew how potent this platform was, that's why I did the project in the first place. My Thar, as and when I buy it will become a very similar 2 seater (less rear body cut and of course), and very very fast. .

The half body rear angle and roll cage pipe angle are "purrrrrfect" here! I am posting a photograph of the Bhaskar Patwardhan / Pradeep Mhaskar MM540. I think this is the 1989 or 1990 Great Desert Himalaya event. See the similarity in the half body construction angle. Wow, now that's what a Jeep should be!

Dear Vinod - I hope this time its the "real" Thar, optimized for specific terrain severity, and obviously very very fast. .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review-gdh5.jpg  

DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2012, 10:58   #2182
BHPian
 
codelust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 199
Thanked: 288 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

We finished a 2-week gruelling tour of Ladakh last week in my Gypsy and a friend's Thar, so I have a bit of real world data points to lean on to back up what I am about to say. It is mechanically a gem of a vehicle. My friend has finished well over 22K KMs in over a year of owning it, including two extensive tours of Ladakh and a lot of them done solo, without any problems.

The vehicle was given its usual oil change and fluid top-up before we started and it ended the trip with a coolant top-up in Leh and nothing else. On the other hand, my Gypsy finished the tour and handled the terrain like a dream, but it was prone to heating up at odd times (had to stop five times on the climb to Photi La, while the Thar had already made it up without overheating) and the ride quality was a different deal altogether.

That said, the shortcomings are an issue, especially if you value creature comforts over bulletproof mechanical reliability. For going around corners at times even better than a car, I'll pick the Gypsy any day, but whatever the Gypsy can make up around corner, the Thar will obliterate it when it puts the power down out of the corner. As noted a lot here, the insides of the vehicle are pathetic. But, for a tourer, reliability and ability to handle rough terrain trumps all else.

Dust is another problem. Here, up north, it is a fact of life and the soft top sucks in a lot of it from the rear. Other than security and cooling for the AC, this is the most important reason why a HT was required and will always remain a major stumbling block for touring in India. The other factors like the offset steering and IFS did not play any major role. Probably the fact that touring requires you to use your platform to the best of its abilities than push it to its extremes play a major role in this.

So, will I trade my Gypsy for a Thar? Probably, yes - if the HT options are better. I have seen the Bimbra one in flesh on the highway (the red fully kitted out Thar) and it was not to my liking. I have put in a lot of time and money to get the Gypsy to where it is today, but it still won't come with a guarantee that it won't require more of the same. If you are not a tinkerer or an enthusiast (like me) that is time taken away from doing things you like most, like travelling in my case and the Thar is the best option out there, be it a bit overpriced and under-kitted for that matter.

Few pics to finish off my diatribe:

Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review-dscf2288.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review-dscf2591.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review-dscf4176.jpg
codelust is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2012, 11:07   #2183
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 3,059
Thanked: 4,562 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by codelust View Post
We finished a 2-week gruelling tour of Ladakh last week in my Gypsy and a friend's Thar, so I have a bit of real world data points to lean on to back up what I am about to say. It is mechanically a gem of a vehicle. My friend has finished well over 22K KMs in over a year of owning it, including two extensive tours of Ladakh and a lot of them done solo, without any problems.

The vehicle was given its usual oil change and fluid top-up before we started and it ended the trip with a coolant top-up in Leh and nothing else. On the other hand, my Gypsy finished the tour and handled the terrain like a dream, but it was prone to heating up at odd times (had to stop five times on the climb to Photi La, while the Thar had already made it up without overheating) and the ride quality was a different deal altogether.

That said, the shortcomings are an issue, especially if you value creature comforts over bulletproof mechanical reliability. For going around corners at times even better than a car, I'll pick the Gypsy any day, but whatever the Gypsy can make up around corner, the Thar will obliterate it when it puts the power down out of the corner. As noted a lot here, the insides of the vehicle are pathetic. But, for a tourer, reliability and ability to handle rough terrain trumps all else.

Dust is another problem. Here, up north, it is a fact of life and the soft top sucks in a lot of it from the rear. Other than security and cooling for the AC, this is the most important reason why a HT was required and will always remain a major stumbling block for touring in India. The other factors like the offset steering and IFS did not play any major role. Probably the fact that touring requires you to use your platform to the best of its abilities than push it to its extremes play a major role in this.

So, will I trade my Gypsy for a Thar? Probably, yes - if the HT options are better. I have seen the Bimbra one in flesh on the highway (the red fully kitted out Thar) and it was not to my liking. I have put in a lot of time and money to get the Gypsy to where it is today, but it still won't come with a guarantee that it won't require more of the same. If you are not a tinkerer or an enthusiast (like me) that is time taken away from doing things you like most, like travelling in my case and the Thar is the best option out there, be it a bit overpriced and under-kitted for that matter.

Few pics to finish off my diatribe:
Dear Codelust - beautifully summed up with correct comments, thanks. Yes, a good hard top is very much required. I love the "THAR CRDe" picture of the RH side. I can only smile, looking at the mismatch between the body and the front fender! Some things never change, no matter how hard you try.

Best regards,

Beham Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2012, 11:18   #2184
Senior - BHPian
 
pjbiju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Karamattom, Aluva, Kotagiri, Yercaud, Hospet, Indore, Nashik, Pune (now)
Posts: 1,165
Thanked: 430 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by codelust View Post
...
That said, the shortcomings are an issue, especially if you value creature comforts over bulletproof mechanical reliability. For going around corners at times even better than a car, I'll pick the Gypsy any day, but whatever the Gypsy can make up around corner, the Thar will obliterate it when it puts the power down out of the corner. As noted a lot here, the insides of the vehicle are pathetic. But, for a tourer, reliability and ability to handle rough terrain trumps all else.

...

and the Thar is the best option out there, be it a bit overpriced and under-kitted for that matter.

...
Good feedback there. How did you find the performance of the brakes? Also I was thinking that the Thar should be faster around corners. Is the Gypsy lighter (definitely yes) and having a lower CG (not sure about this) than the Thar, aiding it to go faster around the corners? And the stiffer suspension also helps it in this regard while the IFS of the Thar is working against it?

Last edited by pjbiju : 29th June 2012 at 11:23.
pjbiju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2012, 12:07   #2185
BHPian
 
starter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 893
Thanked: 260 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by codelust View Post
We finished a 2-week gruelling tour of Ladakh last week in my Gypsy and a friend's Thar, so I have a bit of real world data points to lean on to back up what I am about to say. It is mechanically a gem of a vehicle.
Dear Codelust,
Thank you very much for this report.
I was waiting to hear some feedback from Thar owners who've taken it to the mountains.
It is great to hear that Thar has no overheating/power-loss problems up the hills.
As you say, it is just the hard-top that M&M has to add to the Thar now and we've got an amazing tourer.
It is also great to hear that your Gypsy also did well. Not to forget that he is close to 12 years old now!
Get an additional fan and a baleno radiator to sort out your over-heating issues.
Would be looking forward to read your travelogue.
Cheers,
Deepak
starter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2012, 13:47   #2186
Senior - BHPian
 
SPIKE ARRESTOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deutschland
Posts: 2,653
Thanked: 678 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
I can only smile, looking at the mismatch between the body and the front fender! Some things never change, no matter how hard you try.
Sir, before seeing your post, I guessed you must have noticed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codelust View Post
The other factors like the offset steering and IFS did not play any major role.
Excellent narration.

Was the 4WD lever deployed anytime?

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2012, 14:08   #2187
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,548
Thanked: 423 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Is the Gypsy lighter (definitely yes) and having a lower CG (not sure about this) than the Thar, aiding it to go faster around the corners? And the stiffer suspension also helps it in this regard while the IFS of the Thar is working against it?

The gypsy has a better suspension setup than the THAR CRDe in OE which is why it is the preferred rally champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
As you say, it is just the hard-top that M&M has to add to the Thar now and we've got an amazing tourer.
It is also great to hear that your Gypsy also did well. Not to forget that he is close to 12 years old now!
Get an additional fan and a baleno radiator to sort out your over-heating issues.
Would be looking forward to read your travelogue.
Cheers,
Deepak
Adding a HT to the Thar is not happening IMO - These reasons why M&M would not do a HT in FF form are:

1. Costs of development and testing is very high.
2. Bolero market would be killed if HT THAR comes from factory
3. A percentage of scorpio market would take a beating

So would M&M want to do it? Answer is obvious
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2012, 14:12   #2188
BHPian
 
niks_devil666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 534
Thanked: 235 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

I spoke to 3-4 thar owners whom I met in Leh -ladakh and most of them were very happy with the vehicle. they claimed they did 99% of the trip without engaging 4x4 . they were also happy with the heater as it kept the interiors quite comfortable. i also saw a black thar at fotula which was cornering like hell. I didnt notice any body roll in that thar at those speeds (60+ uphill)
niks_devil666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2012, 14:15   #2189
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,548
Thanked: 423 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by niks_devil666 View Post
i also saw a black thar at fotula which was cornering like hell. I didnt notice any body roll in that thar at those speeds (60+ uphill)
60+ is easy - Try the same at 90 or 100+ and you know what I mean
headers is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2012, 14:48   #2190
Senior - BHPian
 
navpreet318's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Dehradun
Posts: 1,697
Thanked: 802 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
60+ is easy - Try the same at 90 or 100+ and you know what I mean
I think you can now ask Sunny Sidhu for his reviews on that. Taking curves on the Leh road at 90 to 100+ would actually be insanity for normal drivers. Even if they are driving a state of the art sports SUV. I just want to know can the gypsy do it on Leh roads at 90 to 100+? Provided the driver is a normal one and not a rally pro or a rally pro wannabe?
navpreet318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review manson Official New Car Reviews 7759 9th July 2017 12:47


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:21.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks