Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2012, 16:24   #2311
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 187
Thanked: 44 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl
There are eight theories regarding the absence of power outlet in the Thar:

In summary: the 521 did the examm and akc without the need for a power outlet. it was a true thar and even beat a race spec honda civic which had a power outlet on the highway. The power outlet thus also sucks out valuable power.
Lol. Awesome Tejas. You made my day. Thank you. Had a hearty laugh.

My folks at home were fast asleep when I was reading this and I could not control my laughter and ended up waking them.
BlackRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 20:33   #2312
BHPian
 
Suedehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 44
Thanked: 50 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Yes. Finally managed to fit one 12V power socket into the existing space on the dash cluster. The mechanic who did it was not comfortable doing a second one unless it was during the day, which is fair enough. Atleast I have a mobile charging or a GPS running!

Thar Gurus, can anyone share a photo of how a second power outlet has been rigged up, more importantly where?!

Best regards.
Suedehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 21:34   #2313
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: bangalore
Posts: 84
Thanked: 32 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
There are eight theories regarding the absence of power outlet in the thar
Hilarious, you have enough base to work upon and gift of devour to write a SOP. Keep up. Some day this could be Thar almanac.
vnambiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 21:55   #2314
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,653
Thanked: 14,988 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suedehead View Post
Yes. Finally managed to fit one 12V power socket into the existing space on the dash cluster. The mechanic who did it was not comfortable doing a second one unless it was during the day, which is fair enough. Atleast I have a mobile charging or a GPS running!

Thar Gurus, can anyone share a photo of how a second power outlet has been rigged up, more importantly where?!

Best regards.
299rs will buy you a 3 way lighter adapter. So out of one socket you get 3 sockets, capable of supplying 10A current(enough for phones and GPS).
Why bother with a second socket?
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 22:37   #2315
BHPian
 
Suedehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 44
Thanked: 50 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
299rs will buy you a 3 way lighter adapter. So out of one socket you get 3 sockets, capable of supplying 10A current(enough for phones and GPS).
Why bother with a second socket?
Thank you! I never thought about that! Sincerely appreciate it.

Best regards.
Suedehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 23:30   #2316
BHPian
 
codelust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 194
Thanked: 283 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
299rs will buy you a 3 way lighter adapter. So out of one socket you get 3 sockets, capable of supplying 10A current(enough for phones and GPS).
Why bother with a second socket?
I prefer two, for the sake of redundancy. There have been instances (twice) when the solitary socket has failed in one of the cars that I was with on a trip. I have also had terrible luck with car chargers and other things that are non-OEM and local makes. I expect them to go kaput anytime, anywhere and not last more than a few months. Also, probably because I am used to having two in the Swift. Got two going in the Gypsy too.
codelust is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2012, 09:43   #2317
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 3,059
Thanked: 4,484 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Dear Tejas - HaHaHa. Your post is just too good and completely true. The last time I laughed so much was in the Hitler video before launch. .

Dear Suedehead - full canopy will not fit in your vehicle now, the "accessories" rollover bar will come in the way. Remove it and give it back. HaHaHa once again! .

Now guys, you decide why the product is the way it is! You decide why dealerships give you blank looks. YES. YOU DECIDE.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2012, 13:57   #2318
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,025
Thanked: 896 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by codelust View Post
I prefer two, for the sake of redundancy. There have been instances (twice) when the solitary socket has failed in one of the cars that I was with on a trip. I have also had terrible luck with car chargers and other things that are non-OEM and local makes. I expect them to go kaput anytime, anywhere and not last more than a few months. Also, probably because I am used to having two in the Swift. Got two going in the Gypsy too.
here are some ideas for rugged power outlets

Amazon.com: Marine Grade Cigarette Lighter Socket 12 VDC: Automotive

RV 12-Volt Power Outlet | ModMyRV

From what I have read quite a few SUV have a rear 12V socket(s) for accessories. The method of installation is
. Get a fuse box of say 3-5 fuses of 5-20A capacity each)
. Fix the box in the engine bay, normally on the divider between the compartment and the cabin. Use heavy gauge wire from battery to the fuse box.
. Run heavy gauge wires from each fuse to individual 12V outlets
. Now depending on the number of fuses you can have two on the dashboard and two in the dicky. You can even think of wiring for an in car inverter also.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2012, 20:31   #2319
BHPian
 
codelust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 194
Thanked: 283 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
From what I have read quite a few SUV have a rear 12V socket(s) for accessories. The method of installation is
. Get a fuse box of say 3-5 fuses of 5-20A capacity each)
. Fix the box in the engine bay, normally on the divider between the compartment and the cabin. Use heavy gauge wire from battery to the fuse box.
. Run heavy gauge wires from each fuse to individual 12V outlets
. Now depending on the number of fuses you can have two on the dashboard and two in the dicky. You can even think of wiring for an in car inverter also.
Thanks for the idea. I'll rig it up before my next big trip, which is still a while away. Currently, the second wire is not hooked up to a fuse box, which is not good, I know. But I had limited time and expertise on hand at that time.

Already have a Belkin inverter, would not want an inverter fixed to vehicle as it can then do duty in both my cars
codelust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2012, 13:38   #2320
BHPian
 
The King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: JALANDHAR
Posts: 41
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Thar in one of the punjabi music video.
NR=1https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...OZfcjb_XU&NR=1

Last edited by The King : 1st September 2012 at 13:39.
The King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2012, 13:08   #2321
BHPian
 
ashishy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hyd/Bom
Posts: 121
Thanked: 35 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

1.5 months the Thar has been with me. Completed 5k kms with 2 long trips: Hyd-Goa-Hyd and Hyd-Mum-Hyd. The car holds well on the highway. Cruises between 120-140 easily on good roads. The turbo makes me happy while overtaking other cars.

The only problem is when the roads are bad, the suspension takes a toll on my back and neck. Also, the car tends to drift when it goes over potholes or multiple speedbreakers at a high speed (very risky).
ashishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2012, 14:34   #2322
BHPian
 
Trueintrepid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bombay
Posts: 81
Thanked: 23 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishy View Post
1.5 months the Thar has been with me. Completed 5k kms with 2 long trips: Hyd-Goa-Hyd and Hyd-Mum-Hyd. The car holds well on the highway. Cruises between 120-140 easily on good roads. The turbo makes me happy while overtaking other cars.

The only problem is when the roads are bad, the suspension takes a toll on my back and neck. Also, the car tends to drift when it goes over potholes or multiple speedbreakers at a high speed (very risky).
You are right! It drifts/fishtails like crazy, hence avoid such speeds. I almost had a nasty experience on Ahmedabad-Vadodara expressway. It's not meant for speed, unless you do some mods to it. I guess DB has mentioned some mods akin to his 521 in some thread. Have you smelt any smoke in the cabin yet?

Last edited by Trueintrepid : 3rd September 2012 at 14:35. Reason: Added the last question
Trueintrepid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2012, 14:45   #2323
BHPian
 
ashishy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hyd/Bom
Posts: 121
Thanked: 35 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueintrepid View Post
You are right! It drifts/fishtails like crazy, hence avoid such speeds. I almost had a nasty experience on Ahmedabad-Vadodara expressway. It's not meant for speed, unless you do some mods to it. I guess DB has mentioned some mods akin to his 521 in some thread. Have you smelt any smoke in the cabin yet?
No, I haven't. I think they rectified the problem in the new Thar, didn't they?

One more thing I realized after my trips. AC is useless when on a highway unless you point the vents on you.

Last edited by ashishy : 3rd September 2012 at 14:51.
ashishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2012, 14:53   #2324
BHPian
 
Trueintrepid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bombay
Posts: 81
Thanked: 23 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishy View Post
No, I haven't. I think they rectified the problem in the new Thar, didn't they?
Which is why I ask you. I need to know if the new silencer that deflects to the right works and helps in solving this issue, as opposed to the old straight silencer that I have on my Thar. My warranty is running out in December and I need to be doubly sure that this silencer is the fix. Also, I like the silencer I have, but it's just that I smell smoke at cold starts. Please do keep me posted. Thanks.
Trueintrepid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2012, 11:12   #2325
BHPian
 
ashishy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hyd/Bom
Posts: 121
Thanked: 35 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueintrepid View Post
Which is why I ask you. I need to know if the new silencer that deflects to the right works and helps in solving this issue, as opposed to the old straight silencer that I have on my Thar. My warranty is running out in December and I need to be doubly sure that this silencer is the fix. Also, I like the silencer I have, but it's just that I smell smoke at cold starts. Please do keep me posted. Thanks.
I haven't smelled anything in the cabin yet. So, I think their workaround helped.
ashishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review manson Official New Car Reviews 7734 17th January 2017 08:56


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:35.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks