Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2012, 22:33   #2326
BHPian
 
cosmopolitan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: KL 52
Posts: 110
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

When I started reading this review I had almost made up my mind for the Thar. Past 2 weeks I was completely submerged in this (whenever time permits) review.
I had taken test drive twice. In Jul 2011 and Aug 2012. I was ok with the vehicle infact it was livable. But the fact that Is it really worth the price was my question.

Pros and cons of the Thar from various readers/members/users helped me to come to conclusion - This is not the one to me . Not the Thar but the current avtar.

Thank you my dear fellow teambhp members
cosmopolitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2012, 23:53   #2327
BHPian
 
cpbopanna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 537
Thanked: 727 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmopolitan
When I started reading this review I had almost made up my mind for the Thar. Past 2 weeks I was completely submerged in this (whenever time permits) review.
I had taken test drive twice. In Jul 2011 and Aug 2012. I was ok with the vehicle infact it was livable. But the fact that Is it really worth the price was my question.

Pros and cons of the Thar from various readers/members/users helped me to come to conclusion - This is not the one to me . Not the Thar but the current avtar.

Thank you my dear fellow teambhp members
Cosmopolitan
My last message before I sign off for the day (or night)
When your head says Car and the heart says Thar, go with your heart. All the negatives notwithstanding, you will not regret your decision
Good night!
cpbopanna is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2012, 12:15   #2328
BHPian
 
cosmopolitan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: KL 52
Posts: 110
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

What is ARC composite leaf suspension?
I saw someone mentioning about this in Thar Fb page.
Is there any advantages of using one in Thar ? What are the differences we can expect after fixing one on a Thar?
cosmopolitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2012, 14:48   #2329
BHPian
 
ashishy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hyd/Bom
Posts: 121
Thanked: 35 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmopolitan View Post
When I started reading this review I had almost made up my mind for the Thar. Past 2 weeks I was completely submerged in this (whenever time permits) review.
I had taken test drive twice. In Jul 2011 and Aug 2012. I was ok with the vehicle infact it was livable. But the fact that Is it really worth the price was my question.

Pros and cons of the Thar from various readers/members/users helped me to come to conclusion - This is not the one to me . Not the Thar but the current avtar.

Thank you my dear fellow teambhp members
The problems I'm facing are the ones that I can personally live with. If I had the option to go back, I would buy the Thar again. There have been moments in the Thar that made it worth it. Driving on the waters of Goa, Bypassing a kilometer of traffic-jam by driving on the fields next to the road, driving with all windows and back open in heavy rains on open roads, the smile little kids have on their faces when they look at the jeep are some of them.

But to each his own. It is not a small amount of money and you should spend it carefully.
ashishy is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2012, 16:31   #2330
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 215
Thanked: 262 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmopolitan View Post
When I started reading this review I had almost made up my mind for the Thar. Past 2 weeks I was completely submerged in this (whenever time permits) review.
I had taken test drive twice. In Jul 2011 and Aug 2012. I was ok with the vehicle infact it was livable. But the fact that Is it really worth the price was my question.

Pros and cons of the Thar from various readers/members/users helped me to come to conclusion - This is not the one to me . Not the Thar but the current avtar.

Thank you my dear fellow teambhp members
I was split between the gypsy and the thar. That was until I test drove the Thar last weekend. No doubt on the performance of the engine, but I just couldn't get over the pathetic quality of the interiors. I will never pay 8 lakhs for a manufacturer who takes the customer for granted.

The two decade old gypsy is not miles ahead in the interior quality but surely much better than the 'newer' thar!

Mahindra has definitely lost a good sales opportunity on this one.
trek is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2012, 12:18   #2331
BHPian
 
Suedehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 44
Thanked: 51 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Question time Gentlemen. I just accidentally ripped out the RHS door handle this morning on my way to work. I had a heart laugh because I was expecting it to happen. Has this happened to anyone else who has replaced this with a OE of any other vehicle with similar handle specs?

Loving the Thar every minute!
Suedehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2012, 12:33   #2332
BHPian
 
niks_devil666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 529
Thanked: 229 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

isnt it too soon ? its not even a month since u got ur thar ...
niks_devil666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2012, 13:52   #2333
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 295
Thanked: 162 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Welcome to the Thar club...I have replaced these about 5 times now. The last time, I didnt go to the ASC - went to JC Road and bought a set of 8 handles for a maruti 800. So, far, that has better quality than the Thar and has not broken. Been about 4 months now.

FYI - I also picked up a plastic bag full of the plastic locking thing - dont know what it is called (goes up and down when you unlock/lock the doors). Those used to keep coming off in my hand.

Regards,
Manas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suedehead View Post
Question time Gentlemen. I just accidentally ripped out the RHS door handle this morning on my way to work. I had a heart laugh because I was expecting it to happen. Has this happened to anyone else who has replaced this with a OE of any other vehicle with similar handle specs?

Loving the Thar every minute!
manasm is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2012, 14:06   #2334
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 3,059
Thanked: 4,529 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suedehead View Post
Question time Gentlemen. I just accidentally ripped out the RHS door handle this morning on my way to work. I had a heart laugh because I was expecting it to happen. Has this happened to anyone else who has replaced this with a OE of any other vehicle with similar handle specs? Loving the Thar every minute!
Dear Suedehead / Manas - for the door inner handle, like all other parts, there is a 3D layout. There is a part drawing. There is an "official PPAP" document. There is a QC department where "Product Issues" are segregated as V1+, V1, V2 and V3 depending on severity. A QC person talks on the mike inside a room with lots and lots of tube lights at 3 o'clock every afternoon and action plan, responsibility and target dates are written on the white board (usually the date to solve the issue is given as "tomorrow")! . So, everybody has done his job. The goal sheets are filled and everybody's goals are met. THE DOOR HANDLE STILL COMES OFF IN YOUR HANDS, 5 TIMES! I would looooove to get your comments. There is a "process" which is religiously followed. What about the "content" inside the process! .

Anyways, the door inner handle is same as Maruti 800 except for the color. Maruti Omni load carrier has a black handle. When you replace the door handles, please replace the M6*1.0 size "screws" with "hexagonal head bolts". These are used all over the place in Maruti 800 and any good shop will sell you 4 nos for around 20 bucks. Bolts are easier to torque, they retain their position better. The door lock inner knob is same as Maruti 800, both are black. Santro's is also same, santro does not have a head on it so it becomes difficult for thieves to use it as a fulcrum to open the door by inserting a wire or something (for Santro). In Thar, this is not applicable as the vehicle has a soft top.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2012, 12:29   #2335
BHPian
 
Suedehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 44
Thanked: 51 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Dear All,

An update and a few observations / confessions as listed below.

Original Soft Canopy was fitted back. No, the roll bar did not have to come off and it is still inside the vehicle. Mr. Dhabhar is absolutely correct. This canopy is far superior to the accesory half top canopy. The vehicle looks better. Surprisingly, all my niggles about vehicle noise / bangs etc has also dissapeared. I am not sure if it is because of the canopy or because the workshop boys did something magical to the vehicle.

The broken handle was replaced by the workshop with OE handle. (I will however take MR. BD's & Manas's advise on the handle as soon as I find some time).

I had complained about vehicle noise bangs etc to the workshop. They had a look at my rear suspension and the job order said something like re-torque rear suspension (from memory). I have no idea what that means. Whatever it means or whatever they did has suddenly transformed the vehicle. Handles like a dream and quite frankly much better than my Innova on the bad bumpy road infront of my house.

I am much impressed by the workshop. The vehicle was sent to NBS in Mumbai. I was initially mildly perturbed when my service advisor said he wanted to keep the vehicle for two days. He said, he needed some time to test drive it and check the suspension with regards to my noise complaint as he had already checked the doors and other bolts and bits. Two days later, the jeep was delivered back to me and the vehicle is suddenly better than what it was when I bought it! Now for the shocking part. No invoice. Nothing! No labour charge for soft top fitment, for suspension check, not even for replacing the door handle.

My service advisor said, "oh it was a small job". This was an after sales experience beyond my expectations and I think the NBS team went beyond their call of duty to wow me.

Many thanks & best regards.
Suedehead is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2012, 18:03   #2336
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,534
Thanked: 418 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suedehead View Post
They had a look at my rear suspension and the job order said something like re-torque rear suspension (from memory). I have no idea what that means.
So the rear suspension was loose eh? I would be scared to drive a vehicle like that
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2012, 19:37   #2337
BHPian
 
Suedehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 44
Thanked: 51 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
So the rear suspension was loose eh? I would be scared to drive a vehicle like that
I am afraid Sir, I wouldnt have a clue. Nothing felt loose before.
Suedehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2012, 11:30   #2338
BHPian
 
amartya sinha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Delhi
Posts: 35
Thanked: 15 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suedehead View Post
Dear All,

An update and a few observations / confessions as listed below.

Original Soft Canopy was fitted back. No, the roll bar did not have to come off and it is still inside the vehicle. Mr. Dhabhar is absolutely correct. This canopy is far superior to the accesory half top canopy. The vehicle looks better. Surprisingly, all my niggles about vehicle noise / bangs etc has also dissapeared. I am not sure if it is because of the canopy or because the workshop boys did something magical to the vehicle.

The broken handle was replaced by the workshop with OE handle. (I will however take MR. BD's & Manas's advise on the handle as soon as I find some time).

I had complained about vehicle noise bangs etc to the workshop. They had a look at my rear suspension and the job order said something like re-torque rear suspension (from memory). I have no idea what that means. Whatever it means or whatever they did has suddenly transformed the vehicle. Handles like a dream and quite frankly much better than my Innova on the bad bumpy road infront of my house.

I am much impressed by the workshop. The vehicle was sent to NBS in Mumbai. I was initially mildly perturbed when my service advisor said he wanted to keep the vehicle for two days. He said, he needed some time to test drive it and check the suspension with regards to my noise complaint as he had already checked the doors and other bolts and bits. Two days later, the jeep was delivered back to me and the vehicle is suddenly better than what it was when I bought it! Now for the shocking part. No invoice. Nothing! No labour charge for soft top fitment, for suspension check, not even for replacing the door handle.

My service advisor said, "oh it was a small job". This was an after sales experience beyond my expectations and I think the NBS team went beyond their call of duty to wow me.

Many thanks & best regards.
Dear Suedehead,
Have you thought of starting your own ownership review post. It would be a great reading pleasure. Almost all ownership threads on THAR have literally gone cold. I think the developments of your new vehicle should keep THAR enthusiasts glued.
amartya sinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2012, 22:05   #2339
XD2
BHPian
 
XD2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: HR-26
Posts: 58
Thanked: 175 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suedehead View Post
Dear All,

An update and a few observations / confessions as listed below.

...


I had complained about vehicle noise bangs etc to the workshop. They had a look at my rear suspension and the job order said something like re-torque rear suspension (from memory). I have no idea what that means. Whatever it means or whatever they did has suddenly transformed the vehicle. Handles like a dream and quite frankly much better than my Innova on the bad bumpy road infront of my house.

.
Suedehead,

Can you elaborate a little on these 'Noise Bangs'. I've heard some bangs from my Thar on some bad roads. At one point it felt like something had broken. Checked and all looked well. We assimilated at that point that it might be some loose stone hitting the wheel well.

Thanks
XD2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2012, 23:40   #2340
BHPian
 
Suedehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 44
Thanked: 51 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by amartya sinha View Post
Dear Suedehead,
Have you thought of starting your own ownership review post. It would be a great reading pleasure. Almost all ownership threads on THAR have literally gone cold. I think the developments of your new vehicle should keep THAR enthusiasts glued.
Dear Amartya, Thank you for your kind words. I thought about it. My thoughts are, I am a virtual novice. I can write till the cows come home but what will I really contribute that the Guru's in here have not already contributed! I am neither an offroader nor a tech expert. I am purely, "A passionate driver and traveller". I can write because I love writing. Whom will it really help?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XD2 View Post
Can you elaborate a little on these 'Noise Bangs'. I've heard some bangs from my Thar on some bad roads. At one point it felt like something had broken. Checked and all looked well. We assimilated at that point that it might be some loose stone hitting the wheel well.

Thanks
I think I can. A clanging metal noise somewhere beside me and sometimes above me (like two steel dinner plates forced against each other). This is most definitely the B pillar and door. Ever since I have thrown away the halftop (read neatly packed and stored) and put in place the original full canopy, these bangs have dissapeared. I am assuming it is the canopy underframe which is attached to the B Pillar which has made the bangs dissapear.

Loose gravel should go twing twang on the underbody as oppsed to bang and clang. I don't believe I am using these words too well!

For anyone interested, a short video link to my Thar having a moment

Best regards.
Suedehead is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review manson Official New Car Reviews 7749 3rd March 2017 22:15


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:07.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks