Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 17th September 2012, 09:01   #2341
BHPian

Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

@Suedehead your Thar looks nice !!

The MM fender flares gel with you Thar , your tyres are 255 /65/16 I guess

As for the bangs the B pillar is the culprit ,reinforcing the infamous "targa band" has solved this issue for many .

An ownership review will be appreciated ,you love writing and we love reading
slalom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2012, 11:26   #2342
BHPian

Suedehead - I am neither an offroader nor a tech expert. I too am just a driver and traveller who loves cars/jeeps/bikes/trains...you get the picture. But I did put an ownership review. I will be making some updates later this week.

Please do write an ownership review when you can as it helps all other owners (current and potential) on this forum.

There I issues I have got fixed on my vehicle before they happened since I read it on this forum on someone else's ownership review.

It is also just interesting to hear about other people's trips with the Thar and the behavior of the vehicle, your experiences with the A.S.S etc.

Regards,
Manas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suedehead View Post
Dear Amartya, Thank you for your kind words. I thought about it. My thoughts are, I am a virtual novice. I can write till the cows come home but what will I really contribute that the Guru's in here have not already contributed! I am neither an offroader nor a tech expert. I am purely, "A passionate driver and traveller". I can write because I love writing. Whom will it really help?!
manasm is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2012, 18:07   #2343
BHPian

Excellent review - without any bias.

Hope mahindra will offer better interiors, an A/c and better soft top in its next update. I will certainly be tempted to ditch my hatch back then
rawkeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2012, 21:12   #2344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawkeron View Post
Excellent review - without any bias.

Hope mahindra will offer better interiors, an A/c and better soft top in its next update. I will certainly be tempted to ditch my hatch back then
Hello rawkeron, AC is already there in the current CRDE version. The soft top original canopy is reasonably solid. As for better interiors; there is a rumor that a version 3 Thar may be in the offing with exactly that. A little unreliable birdy also told me that various top options are also about to come.

Hope that helps.

Best regards.
Suedehead is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2012, 21:20   #2345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalom View Post
@Suedehead your Thar looks nice !!

The MM fender flares gel with you Thar , your tyres are 255 /65/16 I guess

As for the bangs the B pillar is the culprit ,reinforcing the infamous "targa band" has solved this issue for many .

An ownership review will be appreciated ,you love writing and we love reading
Thank you kind Sir. Yes, indeed you are right about the tires. They are Yoko Geolanders. Could you please tell me what is a "Targa Band". I will ofcourse search this but will greatly appreciate a picture and a hint of light!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasm View Post
Suedehead - I am neither an offroader nor a tech expert. I too am just a driver and traveller who loves cars/jeeps/bikes/trains...you get the picture. But I did put an ownership review. I will be making some updates later this week.

Please do write an ownership review when you can as it helps all other owners (current and potential) on this forum.

There I issues I have got fixed on my vehicle before they happened since I read it on this forum on someone else's ownership review.

It is also just interesting to hear about other people's trips with the Thar and the behavior of the vehicle, your experiences with the A.S.S etc.

Regards,
Manas
Thank you Amartya and Slalom. I am inspired. Manasm, thank you too. You have made your point. Please allow me some time to familiarise myself with the forum CP as well FAQ's on writingt reviews and I will commence writing shortly. I've just finished a wine trip to Nasik on my Thar and have a Mumbai Goa coming up shortly. It will indeed be interesting to write.

Best regards.
Suedehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2012, 22:03   #2346
BHPian

Gooday Gents,

Would anyone be able to share pictures of targa band reinforement? I now know what this infamous band is but would love to see pictures of fixes so my boys at work can figure this out.

Sincere best regards.
Suedehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2012, 08:30   #2347
BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ar-crde-2.html (Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe)
post # 27 by BD

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ms-report.html
Post #9 by BD

Last edited by slalom : 19th September 2012 at 08:31.
slalom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2012, 08:42   #2348
BHPian

Quanto engines seems to be a good fit on the thar. Engine is around 100 KGS lighter and excise benefits shud reduce the price or increase features/accessories in the existing price tag .
niks_devil666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2012, 11:32   #2349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suedehead

Hello rawkeron, AC is already there in the current CRDE version. The soft top original canopy is reasonably solid. As for better interiors; there is a rumor that a version 3 Thar may be in the offing with exactly that. A little unreliable birdy also told me that various top options are also about to come.

Hope that helps.

Best regards.
That is great news. I was under the impression that there is no airconditioner in the current models . That makes thar a great buy.
rawkeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2012, 11:09   #2350
Senior - BHPian

The Thar Di still has that juggad rear door lock and opening mechanism. Wonder why Mahindra can't fit a proper one. Value engineering?
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review-thar.jpg  

rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2012, 16:00   #2351

Ouch!! There seems to be a SUPER UNhappy owner of the Thar who has been popping up in the FB newsfeed (guess some friend's friend).

He has multiple issues with the car and has taken to social media to get his frustration out. One can read about it here https://www.facebook.com/DisasThar

Mr. DB has been interacting with him as I have seen his posts on the page asking for details and offering help in getting the issues resolved.

I have heard of Lemons but this one seems like the tree they grow on! I really wonder how so many issues could have cropped up in one car.
dexter78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2012, 08:28   #2352
BHPian

I saw the disasthar page and I can't believe its true and m&m has not fixed the veh in a months time

Does anyone know the owner personally?
niks_devil666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2012, 18:12   #2353
Senior - BHPian

Hi Everyone,

This is an awesome thread. As an old but lately infrequent visitor on TBHP, it has brought back memories of when I used to spend hour and hours on this forum soaking up the tremendous knowledge base.

To cut a long story short, I have spent the entire last month reading up various Thar threads on TBHP, did 2-3 test drives, generally chewed up brains of everyone around me with incessant Advantage vs. Disadvantage, Heart vs. Mind discussions, day-dreaming of the vehicle and how I would make use her.

Finally, I managed to clear the acid test of convincing the wifey (which was THE most difficult part btw, especially once she realized that this would be an Accord replacement and not an EXTRA hobby car as per initial plan). Part of this involved stopping to stare everytime I saw a non-stock Thar, plus strategically initiating Thar discussions with male buddies and making sure she got a general idea about the awesome response from them.

Many thanks to DB Sir, Suedehead, Bopanna, Rajith, khan_sultan, and all others whose names I do not recollect now - for their detailed reviews. It has helped me in having extensive discussions, mostly with myself, and finally getting convinced to take the JEEP plunge.

I will be going ahead with the purchase moment I am able to sell the Accord, maybe in the next month or so. Want to utilize this time to determine the exact specs of intended mods as well as approximate cost implications - so that I can enjoy the benefits of the vehicle moment it is on hand.

I am particular that my mods be "technically correct". Function will be given preference over Form as far as possible, however I may compromise in a few non-critical areas.

Example, half soft-top over the OEM canvas-top, much to the dismay of DB sir . As it is going to be my second-car, I can do with it being a 2-seater and not rain/weather-proof.

My usage will be initially 70% urban, 20% soft-road, and 10% mild off-road. I might get involved in a few OTR's as I go along. Vehicle will NEVER be taken on the highway.

As of now, I have identified the following areas that need to be addressed, and need your suggestions on these. Against all items below, I have a list of confusing choices.
  1. New set of alloys and wheels. Nice big wheels.
  2. Brand new bucket seats - high priority. Else wife has refused to sit with me. Something like the ones they had on the Classic.
  3. Roll-over Bar
  4. Good half-soft top that can be removed/installed as quickly as possible.
  5. Bull-Bar, Aux+Fog lamps, etc.
  6. New horn, HL bulbs, complete Thar and Mahindra debadging, etc.
  7. Targa band/ door damping, etc. to reduce vibrations
  8. Somewhere I read about replacing the brake-kit, but this would be stage 2 – perhaps a few months into the ownership.

Help me out guys, I want to get all the stuff done as soon as I get the car. Gone are the days when I was a salaried employed in a Sales job working 5 days a week, and had all the time in the world to spend with my mechanic. I am really keen to get clarity on all stage 1 mod jobs along with vendor identification and cost implications, so that all can be executed in 1 weekend.

Having a stock Thar parked in the drive will be quite a nightmare. Dear Jeepers, please help in getting me up to speed.

Last edited by manveet : 1st October 2012 at 18:14. Reason: Edit: Just saw the DisasThar page on FB :(
manveet is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2012, 23:07   #2354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
......especially once she realized that this would be an Accord replacement and not an EXTRA hobby car as per initial plan.......
THAR as replacement for ACCORD! The jeep bug did hit you quite hard....

Quote:
.....My usage will be initially 70% urban, 20% soft-road, and 10% mild off-road. I might get involved in a few OTR's as I go along. Vehicle will NEVER be taken on the highway......
BTW, one of the major (if not the major) advantages of THAR, over old-gen jeeps, is the highway cruising aspect.

All the best for your mods, as and when you pick up the THAR. For bucket seat, one common and highly comfortable option is the Innova seats, available in Mayapuri.
Kandisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2012, 09:24   #2355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
THAR as replacement for ACCORD! The jeep bug did hit you quite hard....

BTW, one of the major (if not the major) advantages of THAR, over old-gen jeeps, is the highway cruising aspect.
The buying rationale is much more complicated .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa
All the best for your mods, as and when you pick up the THAR. For bucket seat, one common and highly comfortable option is the Innova seats, available in Mayapuri.
I am assuming you are referring to front seats? And what tire size do you recommend? Need to work out the costing.
manveet is offline   Reply With Quote