Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 11th December 2012, 17:27   #2401
XD2
BHPian

Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suedehead View Post
With reference to brakes, I am quite happy with my Thar brakes; as you said, I too have adapted to them and do quite well apart from the odd "Holy Cow, that was close" statement in Mumbai extremities. It should be ok if you are not doing triple digits. I am comfy.
Thanks Suedehead.. am sticking with the OE brakes too. If I run into too many of the 'that was close' experiences, will revisit the decision

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
...AT tires have different bahavioral characteristics as compared to nrmal tires. In absence of drawing specifications and constructional details, it is very difficult to score one over the other. Generally, AT tires will be noisier than normal tires, grip on tarmac will be a shade worse and life will be low, with faster deterioration over the life cycle as distance covered progresses, with the first signs of deterioration showing as early as 6000 kms. On loose tarmac, they will score slightly above normal tires on grip under normal ...
Behram Sir,
Thanks for clarifying elaborately.

I've decided to stick with the OE HT tires for now, as most of my driving hours are spent on highways.

My only point of concern is that I am a 'newbie' offroader, still waiting to get into my first 'real' OTR - and am hoping that fellow drivers dont point at the HT tires with concern when they see them. Did go through a couple of posts where a few scorpios had been flagged on the forum for their choice of tires for an OTR. But then again, I guess, getting stuck is where the learning starts
XD2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2012, 20:40   #2402
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by XD2 View Post
I've decided to stick with the OE HT tires for now, as most of my driving hours are spent on highways.

My only point of concern is that I am a 'newbie' offroader, still waiting to get into my first 'real' OTR - and am hoping that fellow drivers dont point at the HT tires with concern when they see them. Did go through a couple of posts where a few scorpios had been flagged on the forum for their choice of tires for an OTR.
You could keep the HT tyres or normal usage and for any specific OTR use try to get your hands on a set of OLD AT tyres. The HT tyres could get damaged in any major OTR, so if you are planning for specific OTR trips getting a set of OLD AT or even even better OLD MT tyres would be best use of money, while not looking the HT performance for Tarmac.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2012, 21:24   #2403
XD2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
You could keep the HT tyres or normal usage and for any specific OTR use try to get your hands on a set of OLD AT tyres. The HT tyres could get damaged in any major OTR, so if you are planning for specific OTR trips getting a set of OLD AT or even even better OLD MT tyres would be best use of money, while not looking the HT performance for Tarmac.
Thanks ACM. That is a great idea. Think i'll go with a set of oldish MTs for that occasional OTR.
XD2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2012, 20:32   #2404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suedehead View Post
Dear Firebird, yes; the bumpers and the whole package was from the Mahindra customisation boys including all the lights.

Best regards.
Thank you sir. I did not receive any email, however i got the list from the dealer which is quoting 12k for front bumper. Interesting to know that the lights are done from them too.
Firebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2012, 16:23   #2405
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
Thank you sir. I did not receive any email, however i got the list from the dealer which is quoting 12k for front bumper. Interesting to know that the lights are done from them too.
Dear Milind - 12k for a part which stays there and does nothing except "trying to look good" (subjective) is best avoided. There are better ways to spend 12k. Please keep the production bumper only.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2012, 16:32   #2406
Distinguished - BHPian

Old tyres -> weak sidewalls -> travel a long distance to OTR venue -> using a high speed jeep like thar -> recipe for disaster in my opinion.

Unless you plan to carry the set to OTR site which poses another set of problems such as:
- carrying the 4 tyres
- securing them safely
- where do you store the HT tyres on the trail?
- keeping them in the vehicle is not at all recommended while offroading

Just my 2 cents.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2012, 20:10   #2407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Milind - 12k for a part which stays there and does nothing except "trying to look good" (subjective) is best avoided. There are better ways to spend 12k. Please keep the production bumper only.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DB Sir, thank you for clearing the confusion. I have been hearing from few folks that Bull bar is must, however I was not convinced.
The next option was those bumpers which add looks that come with bull bar.

12k surely can get me brakes upgrade or performance upgrade partially

Sir, I sent you message on what all things I am planning to do. I am waiting to hear from you if that's Must have / Should have / Good to have.
Firebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2012, 12:18   #2408
BHPian

Does the lack of safety features in thar bother anyone ? (Lack of abs , airbags crumple zones and side impact beams)

I love the thar but off late lack of such features is swaying me towards eco sport/duster which can do the same job I would do on thar. I won't be doing hard core off roading on my veh , so will it make sense for a person like me to buy thar instead of eco sport/duster?
niks_devil666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2012, 12:47   #2409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niks_devil666 View Post
Does the lack of safety features in thar bother anyone ? (Lack of abs , airbags crumple zones and side impact beams)

I love the thar but off late lack of such features is swaying me towards eco sport/duster which can do the same job I would do on thar. I won't be doing hard core off roading on my veh , so will it make sense for a person like me to buy thar instead of eco sport/duster?
The lack of safety features absolutely bother a lot of us I guess. But then, duster isn't exactly comparable to the Thar - for the duster is primarily a highway and city machine with excellent bad road and soft trail capability. The Thar is improved jeep as far as highway cruising is concerned, but certainly not the most ideal vehicle for getting from point A to point B. Thar is for serious offroading fun and looking good around town on Friday and Saturday evenings.

But then, the Duster isn't too great when it comes to safety either, its got ABS, and airbags but isn't rated too great in EuroNCAP (3 stars if I remember correctly)
bobbafett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2012, 14:27   #2410
BHPian

They will do the job for you. But they will never be a Jeep, imho. Thar fulfills a specific gap in the category, mind and heart. Even for non-offroading Jeepers:-)!
Tha'Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2012, 18:29   #2411
BHPian

I finally have my dream vehicle in my garage "THE THAR". I plan to go in for Conti Crosscontacts 235/70 or 245/70 R16 but any idea if the crde will take 245/75R16 tyres and are these available in crosscontacts also would like to know your idea of using maxxis bighorn for 75% road use and 25%off road use. The thar is quite bouncy too and any suggestions s to flatten out the ride would be welcome.

There are definitely a lot of people who love the thar but their better half's don't consent for it. May be if we are able to iron out the bouncy ride things will start changing soon. Firebird for your kind information try this site prad4x4. He's got great front and rear bumpers for a very reasonable price. i too hae a couple of this to upgrade will be needing inputs from all of you.

Last edited by mobike008 : 15th December 2012 at 21:24. Reason: back to back posts. Please refrain
Drlmtukkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2012, 19:50   #2412
BHPian

Crosscontact 245/70/16 is available.

http://www.changemytyre.com/Car/Tyre...AT-XL-OWL/1363

For a better ride you can get the CFL's

http://carbonfibercompositeleafsprings.blogspot.in/
slalom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2012, 00:30   #2413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalom View Post
Crosscontact 245/70/16 is available.

http://www.changemytyre.com/Car/Tyre...AT-XL-OWL/1363

For a better ride you can get the CFL's

http://carbonfibercompositeleafsprings.blogspot.in/
The carbon fiber leaf springs are very intriguing? Have you used them any and if yes, it would be great if you can post a review!
bobbafett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2012, 19:24   #2414
BHPian

no i haven't tried the CFL's yet. I am yet to change the tyres any inputs from Bheram sir on improving the ride of the thar would be welcome. Has anyone tried the suspension available from pete's.
Old 19th December 2012, 14:25   #2415
BHPian

On page 153 suedehead and xd2 had a discussion on the thar being bad through potholes. I too noticed this problem in the intial few kms i drove my thar and have been trying to find a fix for it. (1) the front suspension is too stiff and so doesn't budge to a pot hole. (2) the thar's body is so loosely put together its rattles like crazy (3) The noise when you hit a pothole is contributed by the front canopy under the soft top by no less than 50 - 60%.
THings that i am looking forward for : can we soften the front suspension