Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2013, 11:59   #2476
BHPian
 
Enveee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Indore
Posts: 31
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post

Is this safe ?!? Its definitely clever...
Even though its a clever piece of work, I too wonder if its safe. Scares me to think what might happen in case of an accident, especially to pedestrians/two wheelers. Can be real gory....

@Suedehead, IMHO you should reconsider this mod.

Especially if u have the team-bhp sticker "I DRIVE SAFE" like I do on my Thar

Rgds,
Ar. Naved
Enveee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 15:13   #2477
BHPian
 
jkrishnakj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 508
Thanked: 306 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

A very silly question, thanks to my technology understanding. Why is it that i see many people buying the Thar CRDe and not the DI. Rather, why is it that the CRDe version sells more despite being priced higher than the DI ?

Given the number of reviews of Thar that i am reading each day, i guess i will end up with one very soon.
jkrishnakj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 15:44   #2478
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,234
Thanked: 13,980 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Why is it that i see many people buying the Thar CRDe and not the DI. Rather, why is it that the CRDe version sells more despite being priced higher than the DI ?
Almost all of the first time Jeepers are buying CRDe because of the highway manners and the ease of maintenance using authorized service center.

The DI can't be bought in cities, since it is BS3 complaint only. Also, DI engine is noisy, and paint quality is lot lower than CRDe version. It is basically a rural work horse lacking any refinement.

But the seasoned Jeepers still stick to old time Jeeps since it will cost 1/3 the price of CDRe. And they have mechanics who can maintain it without charging an arm and leg.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 16:02   #2479
BHPian
 
jkrishnakj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 508
Thanked: 306 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Thanks for this Samurai, this was simple, clear and was still making sense. If i buy one Thar, i would also be in the "first time jeepers" category. My wife says that i am not getting younger. I think one visit to the showroom and i am confident my wifey will start drooling on the Thar. Lets see how far i go !. I have to think through what to do with my Safari.

Anyways, i don't want to go on in this thread about all this. Thanks again Samurai.

Last edited by jkrishnakj : 11th February 2013 at 16:03. Reason: Spelling
jkrishnakj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 16:08   #2480
BHPian
 
Enveee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Indore
Posts: 31
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Why is it that i see many people buying the Thar CRDe and not the DI. Rather, why is it that the CRDe version sells more despite being priced higher than the DI ?

Given the number of reviews of Thar that i am reading each day, i guess i will end up with one very soon.
Besides the important points mentioned in Samurai's post, there are a few more reasons like the Air-conditioning and Power-steering which are missing in the DI. Driving without them would be a pain in our cities. Unless of course, if you intend to buy it specifically for off-roading and weekend drives.

As suggested, the DI seems to be targeted more towards the rural buyer, and the Crde towards the urban.

Rgds...

Ar.Naved
Enveee is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 22:22   #2481
BHPian
 
Suedehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 44
Thanked: 52 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Dear All,

I write today in part despair and part to fulfill a promise; that I would indeed give details of what I have been doing with my jeep the last few weeks.

So changes first:
1. Centre console done with an additional power point (very nifty and extremely convenient)
2. ARC rear suspension installed. (It's really nice and comfy in the rear).
3. Snorkle installed.
4. HL Jack installed (And that has mostly negative opinions in a few posts above, but I love it).
5. Raised height by 3 inches with spacers. (Still not sure if I went overboard).
6. CB radio installed and neatly tucked into the centre console.

Still left:
1. A decent Winch. This will come soon. Very soon.
2. The Soft Top; is loose.

The Drama & Despair:
Having not driven the jeep for almost a month; I was eager to get into it over the weekend, especially after all the waiting and work that has gone into it. I discovered a problem. The jeep is dragging a bit and it could be my imagination but the front disc is over heating. I can also hear a constant squeaking noise as I drive. Something is touching something and it is not the tyres. I cant see anything. The jeep is also getting a lot of braking resistance when I am taking hard left's and right's.

This is where despair sets in. The jeep is back at an authorised workshop and practically everyone in there looks a tad bit confused. I am praying all will be well. I'll know tomorrow.

More despair set in when I spoke with a gentleman I know from Mahindra. I cannot name and must not. On hearing my woes, he felt that I may have bust front hubs. Hard to tell without seeing. I am devastated. How comes to my mind.

I do not know what is wrong at this stage but I am gutted. Almost wishing I had not mucked around with the jeep with raising height and all. BD Sir's voice comes booming in the imagination background saying; leave it as stock. Anyway, I hope to find out tomorrow evening on what's wrong. It's not that bad but it's got to a stage where I am hurt if the jeep is hurt.

Attaching a picture. I have learnt much from TBHP. I look forward to Guru advise and the odd kick if at all. I learn more and more and am most grateful.

Sincerely,

Suedehead
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review-dsc00020fb.jpg  


Last edited by Suedehead : 11th February 2013 at 22:31. Reason: Forgot to attach a picture
Suedehead is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 23:55   #2482
BHPian
 
amolpol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 499
Thanked: 1,296 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suedehead View Post

3. Snorkle installed.
I'm assuming yours is a AC version Thar. How much did you shell out for the snorkel and where did you get it from? The last when I checked I was told that there is a need to change to a K&N filter with the metal pipe clamps to overcome the design change that has happened with the advent of ACs in the Thar. The price had gone up three times because of the K&N component.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suedehead View Post
5. Raised height by 3 inches with spacers. (Still not sure if I went overboard).
3 inches...whoa! Isn't that a bit too much, what's the size of tyres you planning to put on it now. And how has it changed the driving dynamics since you have also changed to the CFLs at the back.

Also, how did you raise the front suspension. Is it a simple change with spacers? I was thinking it may be a bit difficult to do given the IFS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suedehead View Post
This is where despair sets in. The jeep is back at an authorised workshop and practically everyone in there looks a tad bit confused. I am praying all will be well. I'll know tomorrow.

More despair set in when I spoke with a gentleman I know from Mahindra. I cannot name and must not. On hearing my woes, he felt that I may have bust front hubs. Hard to tell without seeing. I am devastated. How comes to my mind.
Hope everything is fine. Did your jeep see any offroad bashing yet?

PS> You should get an ownership thread out on all the changes you've made so far. I believe all of us have a story to tell and learn from each other's mistakes as we try to adopt the Thar in our lives.

Last edited by amolpol : 12th February 2013 at 00:02. Reason: added PS
amolpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 19:53   #2483
BHPian
 
Suedehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 44
Thanked: 52 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post
I'm assuming yours is a AC version Thar. How much did you shell out for the snorkel and where did you get it from? The last when I checked I was told that there is a need to change to a K&N filter with the metal pipe clamps to overcome the design change that has happened with the advent of ACs in the Thar. The price had gone up three times because of the K&N component.

3 inches...whoa! Isn't that a bit too much, what's the size of tyres you planning to put on it now. And how has it changed the driving dynamics since you have also changed to the CFLs at the back.

Also, how did you raise the front suspension. Is it a simple change with spacers? I was thinking it may be a bit difficult to do given the IFS.

Hope everything is fine. Did your jeep see any offroad bashing yet?

PS> You should get an ownership thread out on all the changes you've made so far. I believe all of us have a story to tell and learn from each other's mistakes as we try to adopt the Thar in our lives.
Dear Amolpol,

I got the snorkle for approx 23K including fitting, additional bracing, paint touch up etc from Mahindra Customisation. Yes, it is indeed a AC version and I have no idea what a K&N filter is. I am guessing, its all done right!

I am running Geolander AT 255's. I dont see a problem with that. Handling is quite good and vehicle is stable. I would however be extra careful on curves. I am still not used to the height! The rear CFL's though are a dream. The jeep is less jumpy and feels so good. Very refined. So refined that now the IFS seems jumpy to me! (It never did before). Braking with the CFL seems to have improved.

Spacers used to raise the vehicle on all sides. I am afraid, I do not know technical details. Again, this was done by Mahindra Customisation.

Regretfully, everything is not quite fine. Jeep is still at the garage. The brakes have been rectified. The hubs apparently have checked out to be fine but I am told they suspect the noise is from the differential; which will be checked tomorrow. I know it will all get sorted but I am just too pained about the whole issue.

My jeep has seen a fair bit of offroading but none after the mods were done. I am hoping all is done and the jeep is ready to roll before Sunday. I have a 800 km road trip planned this coming Sunday and beyond and I am really hoping to take the jeep and not the innova, push comes to shove. Should get a few dodgy moments on the way and will be a perfect test for the CFL's and the raised height.

Best regards,

Suedehead
Suedehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 20:12   #2484
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,234
Thanked: 13,980 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suedehead View Post
I am running Geolander AT 255's. I dont see a problem with that. Handling is quite good and vehicle is stable. I would however be extra careful on curves. I am still not used to the height! The rear CFL's though are a dream.
You have to be careful on curves mainly because of CFL. I have had CFL on my former CJ340 for 3.5 years. The ride comfort comes at the cost body roll.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 21:24   #2485
BHPian
 
amolpol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 499
Thanked: 1,296 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suedehead View Post

I got the snorkle for approx 23K including fitting, additional bracing, paint touch up etc from Mahindra Customisation. Yes, it is indeed a AC version and I have no idea what a K&N filter is. I am guessing, its all done right!
Thanks for the info. I had heard that with the newer versions there was a problem with the plumbing needed for the intake and that there was a breathing problem unless the air filter was changed to the K&N system which has metal clamps to secure the pipes etc. The cost for that setup was pretty much the same as what you paid though, but it included the K&N components which by itself is upwards of 12-13k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suedehead View Post
I am running Geolander AT 255's. I dont see a problem with that. Handling is quite good and vehicle is stable. I would however be extra careful on curves. I am still not used to the height! The rear CFL's though are a dream. The jeep is less jumpy and feels so good. Very refined. So refined that now the IFS seems jumpy to me! (It never did before). Braking with the CFL seems to have improved.

Spacers used to raise the vehicle on all sides. I am afraid, I do not know technical details. Again, this was done by Mahindra Customisation.
May I ask you the intent for raising the height? Typically, the spacers or shackles are used to accommodate taller tires which would in turn increase the GC. If you're going to run the same 255 Yokos, then I presume there's going to be no real gain in ground clearance that you'd achieve with this change, but the handling will be affected negatively for sure. This is just my understanding (which is fairly limited in the jeep arena) but it'd be interesting to know whether you were able to achieve what you wanted from this mod. I've had this thought before and have even felt the need for some more GC in the last OTR, but given the IFS at front, I wasn't sure if this will be an easy change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suedehead View Post
My jeep has seen a fair bit of offroading but none after the mods were done. I am hoping all is done and the jeep is ready to roll before Sunday. I have a 800 km road trip planned this coming Sunday and beyond and I am really hoping to take the jeep and not the innova, push comes to shove. Should get a few dodgy moments on the way and will be a perfect test for the CFL's and the raised height.
Would be good if you can pen down your experience on both on road and off road response of the jeep after the mods. Good luck with the travel and hope you get the jeep in time for it.
amolpol is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2013, 16:20   #2486
BHPian
 
Suedehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 44
Thanked: 52 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post
May I ask you the intent for raising the height? Typically, the spacers or shackles are used to accommodate taller tires which would in turn increase the GC. If you're going to run the same 255 Yokos, then I presume there's going to be no real gain in ground clearance that you'd achieve with this change, but the handling will be affected negatively for sure. This is just my understanding (which is fairly limited in the jeep arena) but it'd be interesting to know whether you were able to achieve what you wanted from this mod. I've had this thought before and have even felt the need for some more GC in the last OTR, but given the IFS at front, I wasn't sure if this will be an easy change.



Would be good if you can pen down your experience on both on road and off road response of the jeep after the mods. Good luck with the travel and hope you get the jeep in time for it.
Dear Amolpol,

I dont know why I raised the height. To get better ground clearance I suppose and ofcourse to make it harder for the missus to climb into. You say, I have not achieved more GC.

This is exactly why I am here! To learn. What do you now reccomend?

I will most certainly write about my experiences and my ownership experience. I'll take some time to start it but I will definitely do that.

The jeep is back from the garage without major monetary damage. I have not driven it beyond 3 kms and my basic observations are: Better braking for sure. I am still not used to the height which is making me nervous on the curves.

I leave for Aurangabad on Sunday and doing a full round trip to Mumbai via Pune. That'll give me enough testing ground both on and minor off the road.

Best regards,
Suedehead
Suedehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2013, 16:35   #2487
BHPian
 
slalom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: " Deep " in God's Own Country !!
Posts: 183
Thanked: 88 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

The CFL's comes at a cost like Samurai mentioned ,the body roll can now be controlled by changing your shocks to the "bilstein b6" , it will change the whole dynamics to a great extend both on road and off it .

The long drive will give you and idea about what needs to be done .
Enjoy your drive !
Looking forward to your ownership report .
slalom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2013, 19:02   #2488
BHPian
 
Suedehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 44
Thanked: 52 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Dear all,

I ran a bit of a speed test on a very open stretch today. I feel the jeep is struggling over 120 kmph and I had the accelerator floored and I touched 125 kmph. This is bizarre because I know the jeep was capable of 140+ till a few weeks ago. There is some resistance and the jeep is not as torquey as before.

Now this has just been checked twice now and I know the brakes are fine. The differential has been checked and that is fine too. Wheel allignment is also done.

What else could be the problem?

Team BHP Guru's - What are the symptoms of front hub failure?

Let me also ask my question differently. If I jack up one side of the vehicle up (Both wheels - should the front wheels be free wheeling if moved by hand?

Best regards,
Maverik
Suedehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2013, 19:34   #2489
BHPian
 
amolpol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 499
Thanked: 1,296 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suedehead View Post
Dear Amolpol,

I dont know why I raised the height. To get better ground clearance I suppose and ofcourse to make it harder for the missus to climb into. You say, I have not achieved more GC.

This is exactly why I am here! To learn. What do you now reccomend?
Well, there's no immediate need for you to do anything, just be careful with the handling. However, since you have already made space for bigger tyres, you could go upto 33 inchers when you feel the need to run over bigger obstacles. BTW, how much did you pay for the lift?

The stock tyres 235/70/R16 are 29 inches tall, the yokos 255/65/R16 would be approx similar so you'll get approx 1-2 inch incremental GC with taller 33" tyres. However, most of these tall tyres are meant for off-roading and you may want to be careful in choosing the tread etc if you're going to use the jeep for highway use etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suedehead View Post
Dear all,

I ran a bit of a speed test on a very open stretch today. I feel the jeep is struggling over 120 kmph and I had the accelerator floored and I touched 125 kmph. This is bizarre because I know the jeep was capable of 140+ till a few weeks ago. There is some resistance and the jeep is not as torquey as before.

Let me also ask my question differently. If I jack up one side of the vehicle up (Both wheels - should the front wheels be free wheeling if moved by hand?

Best regards,
Maverik
With the 3 inch lift, I'd recommend you to be very cautious with triple digit speeds. The jeep isn't technically designed for high speeds and with the increased body roll with the shackles and CFLs, the driving dynamics are going to be a lot different (not exactly better).

The top speeds may be impacted by a number of reasons, but I'm not sure if the lift should cause issues with power delivery. When you say the torque has gone down, do you notice it in regular driving as well, for eg. initial pickup or steady speeds in a particular gear etc.

Did you engage/disengage 4x4 and lately and then realized the speeds have gone down? It could be that the hubs are still locked and you may need to get them free wheeling. There is a process in the manual where it states that you need to drive a little in reverse after disengaging 4x4 (4H or 4L both) till you hear a clicking sound which signifies that the hubs are disengaged. This could also affect the speeds I believe, but I'm not sure if the auto hub locks are supposed to disengage over certain speeds anyways.
amolpol is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2013, 19:51   #2490
BHPian
 
Suedehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 44
Thanked: 52 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post
The top speeds may be impacted by a number of reasons, but I'm not sure if the lift should cause issues with power delivery. When you say the torque has gone down, do you notice it in regular driving as well, for eg. initial pickup or steady speeds in a particular gear etc.

Did you engage/disengage 4x4 and lately and then realized the speeds have gone down? It could be that the hubs are still locked and you may need to get them free wheeling. There is a process in the manual where it states that you need to drive a little in reverse after disengaging 4x4 (4H or 4L both) till you hear a clicking sound which signifies that the hubs are disengaged. This could also affect the speeds I believe, but I'm not sure if the auto hub locks are supposed to disengage over certain speeds anyways.
Yes, the speed is definitely down on initial pick up and in all gears. The jeep also feels funny on slow turns. Gets resistance.

I have not touched the 4x4 lever in 4 weeks or more. But then both my drivers have driven the jeep over short ferry distances on tarmac and the jeep has also spent time at two different workshops for getting odds and ends done. I've incidentally never heard the click in the past when I have disengaged 4x4.

The lift kit was 10K including installation.

I am really worried now. Saturdays destroyed. I am hauling her back to the workshop tomorrow.

Best regards,

Suedehead
Suedehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review manson Official New Car Reviews 7764 9th October 2017 16:30


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:56.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks