Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2013, 14:59   #2551
BHPian
 
davidashish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Noida
Posts: 99
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha'Red View Post
This is true in my case too. I shut the passenger side vents when driving alone to get more air flow towards the driver seat and also use a bent visiting card to direct airflow from the center vent towards me. Need to find a permanent plastic replacement for this partially effective visiting card inserted between the two center vents.
Buddy using a "visiting card" ? Brilliant move. My Air-con was a after market fitment and he has promised me to box this problem but i'm just not getting time. As the entire dashboard has to come off again and its a complete days work.

Transiently i'm getting a plastic mold fabricated to divert airflow from the center towards the driver seat.

PM me, ill ship one to you
davidashish is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2013, 11:49   #2552
BHPian
 
carrot_eater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 174
Thanked: 100 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidashish View Post
. As the entire dashboard has to come off again and its a complete days work.

Transiently i'm getting a plastic mold fabricated to divert airflow from the center towards the driver seat.

PM me, ill ship one to you
Hi Davidashish

I've been using something similar to a visiting card - what is this plastic mold that you've got fabricated - can you post a pic. Need something to divert the Airflow to the driver's seat.

And did you notice that the left seat gets good airflow - its only the driver who doesn't get it and needs all this mods

Cheers
carrot
carrot_eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2013, 12:12   #2553
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 3,059
Thanked: 4,623 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drlmtukkar View Post
My thar's seats seem to be interchanged the right is on the left and left on the right, as the backrest adjustment lever of both seats are on the inner side. Is this found on all thar's is it a one off wrong fitting on my thar!
Dear Drlmtukkar - the backrest adjustment on Europe (LHD) / South Africa (RHD) model Thar vehicles was originally on the outside only because Europe / South Africa homologated seat belts were fitted on the roll over bar which was common for these vehicles. When we made the domestic model, which we had to make as a 7 seater to meet the CMVR, we had to move the seat belts from the roll over bar to the B pillar because we had to remove the roll over bar to fit the seats. With the seat belts coming on the B pillar (this system has the domestic VRDE homologation), the control ratchet of the seat belt at its bottom was fouling with the seat backrest adjusting mechanism. Therefore, keeping the seat mounting bases in the same position, we just interchanged the seats. Naturally, the mechanisms came inside and the fouling issue got resolved. So, there is nothing wrong in your vehicle. If by chance you remove the rear seats and fit the South Africa roll over bar, you can then shift the seat belts out of the B pillar and then you can interchange the seats. Hope it is clear.

Dear Carrot Eater / Davidashish / Tha'Red - as you all know, the instrument panel is derived out of the Bolero VLX panel. The side AC vents are connected by flexible plastic pipes routed from the inside. Remove the glove box lid by pressing on the sides to disconnect the two side stops, you will see clearly. For your specific application, if you are not too keen on using the side vents, just remove these pipes and blank their cold air outlets. Then all the cold air will come from the center outlets. I had done the same thing in my MH01V521. I also know that the throw angle towards the driver is less, this issue was there in Bolero also, so it got carried forward here. Simple! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2013, 12:47   #2554
BHPian
 
davidashish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Noida
Posts: 99
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Drlmtukkar - the backrest adjustment on Europe (LHD) / South Africa (RHD) model Thar vehicles was originally on the outside only because Europe / South Africa homologated seat belts were fitted on the roll over bar which was common for these vehicles. When we made the domestic model, which we had to make as a 7 seater to meet the CMVR, we had to move the seat belts from the roll over bar to the B pillar because we had to remove the roll over bar to fit the seats. With the seat belts coming on the B pillar (this system has the domestic VRDE homologation), the control ratchet of the seat belt at its bottom was fouling with the seat backrest adjusting mechanism. Therefore, keeping the seat mounting bases in the same position, we just interchanged the seats. Naturally, the mechanisms came inside and the fouling issue got resolved. So, there is nothing wrong in your vehicle. If by chance you remove the rear seats and fit the South Africa roll over bar, you can then shift the seat belts out of the B pillar and then you can interchange the seats. Hope it is clear.

Dear Carrot Eater / Davidashish / Tha'Red - as you all know, the instrument panel is derived out of the Bolero VLX panel. The side AC vents are connected by flexible plastic pipes routed from the inside. Remove the glove box lid by pressing on the sides to disconnect the two side stops, you will see clearly. For your specific application, if you are not too keen on using the side vents, just remove these pipes and blank their cold air outlets. Then all the cold air will come from the center outlets. I had done the same thing in my MH01V521. I also know that the throw angle towards the driver is less, this issue was there in Bolero also, so it got carried forward here. Simple! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Sir,
Don't take it personally
but " U R Enjoying this na"?
davidashish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2013, 12:57   #2555
Senior - BHPian
 
desertfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gurgaon, Delhi NCR
Posts: 1,186
Thanked: 522 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

I do not have this problem in my Bolero SLX 2008 model. Air flow from side vents is lesser than centre vents but it not substantially below normal. Dhabjar Ji, you are yet to tell me why there are no air flow vents in the windscreen frame of the Thar!
desertfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2013, 13:16   #2556
Senior - BHPian
 
akshay4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandigarh/Mohali/Ambala Cantt
Posts: 3,755
Thanked: 1,544 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
I do not have this problem in my Bolero SLX 2008 model. Air flow from side vents is lesser than centre vents but it not substantially below normal. Dhabjar Ji, you are yet to tell me why there are no air flow vents in the windscreen frame of the Thar!
By Air flow vents in Windscreen you mean Defogger?,Correct?
A simple answer would be,no version of Bolero before ZLX had it,so there is no provision in this dashboard design.Only fix for this can be a new Dashboard i think
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2013, 13:26   #2557
Senior - BHPian
 
desertfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gurgaon, Delhi NCR
Posts: 1,186
Thanked: 522 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

No defrogger. What I mean is the 1953 model had a small opening window. In other Jeeps, including the THAR DI you can open the windscreen to whatever level 5 Deg to a full 85 Deg tilt to allow air flow. Why not in THAR crde ?
desertfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2013, 13:33   #2558
Senior - BHPian
 
akshay4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandigarh/Mohali/Ambala Cantt
Posts: 3,755
Thanked: 1,544 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
No defrogger. What I mean is the 1953 model had a small opening window. In other Jeeps, including the THAR DI you can open the windscreen to whatever level 5 Deg to a full 85 Deg tilt to allow air flow. Why not in THAR crde ?
Ahhh ok,i got it.
I have seen the windshield opening from the bottom in old jeeps.
Not sure if this was an option in MM540 and MM550.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2013, 13:53   #2559
Senior - BHPian
 
desertfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gurgaon, Delhi NCR
Posts: 1,186
Thanked: 522 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

In my current MM550 I do have it and keep it permanently open a tat bit. It is an army disposal 2000 model MM 550
desertfox is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2013, 19:10   #2560
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,565
Thanked: 435 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
Dhabjar Ji, you are yet to tell me why there are no air flow vents in the windscreen frame of the Thar!
It is because of CMVR norms sir

Some questions have no answer - Why no FFRA, why R&P PS, IFS only in the CRDe whereas the step brother DI has better 4x4 steering and suspension.
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2013, 21:48   #2561
BHPian
 
Tha'Red's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 84
Thanked: 39 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post

Dear Carrot Eater / Davidashish / Tha'Red - as you all know, the instrument panel is derived out of the Bolero VLX panel. The side AC vents are connected by flexible plastic pipes routed from the inside. Remove the glove box lid by pressing on the sides to disconnect the two side stops, you will see clearly. For your specific application, if you are not too keen on using the side vents, just remove these pipes and blank their cold air outlets. Then all the cold air will come from the center outlets. I had done the same thing in my MH01V521. I also know that the throw angle towards the driver is less, this issue was there in Bolero also, so it got carried forward here. Simple! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Sir, thanks for the inputs. The side vents are the saviours as the airflow is towards the driver & passenger. So I would need them. What needs to be improved is the throw from the Center vents to the driver. That's all. With David's contraption we should be able to solve it, until then the visiting card does do pretty good:-)!
Tha'Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2013, 21:15   #2562
BHPian
 
ashnd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 49
Thanked: 366 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Has anyone considered after-market or universal air vents to replace or stick over the existing vents? For me, this is the single biggest irritant in the Thar till now, and the Thar is only a few hours old! Bought brand new today in white. If better air vents can be found, (perhaps Maruti 800 rectangular ones?), then that would be the ideal solution. I have also had to resort to a bent card for the moment, but it is an eyesore in a brand new vehicle, even if it's a jeep. The AC itself is quite effective.
ashnd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2013, 22:13   #2563
Senior - BHPian
 
desertfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gurgaon, Delhi NCR
Posts: 1,186
Thanked: 522 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

The Thar Crde is not at all doing well off road.

A number of our NIOC ( North India Offroad Club ) boys who ventured out in the Thars on off road trips complained of broken axle rods ( 7 cases ), lower wishbone cracking / breaking, CV Joints breaking. There have been over 30 cases of serious failure on off road trips during the last 12 months in Gurgaon alone.
desertfox is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2013, 23:45   #2564
BHPian
 
ashnd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 49
Thanked: 366 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
The Thar Crde is not at all doing well off road.

A number of our NIOC ( North India Offroad Club ) boys who ventured out in the Thars on off road trips complained of broken axle rods ( 7 cases ), lower wishbone cracking / breaking, CV Joints breaking. There have been over 30 cases of serious failure on off road trips during the last 12 months in Gurgaon alone.
Although it's marketed to that effect, the Thar is not that hardcore of an offroader. The Gypsy is much more suited to abuse shunted out at off road events. The Thar Di with its solid axle is probably a safer bet too. The CRDe fills an important void for those looking for 90% of the Gypsy's capability but also usability on road with features such as the independent front suspension, power steering and air conditioning. Under stress when stuck in OTRs, suspension components break, just like on the Scorpio, combined with the ease of power steering.

So it really is down to what one perceives it to be- not strong enough for some, whilst a godsend for others who yearned for such a product for years. Obviously each set of users will put their Thars to different uses.
ashnd is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2013, 13:59   #2565
Senior - BHPian
 
navpreet318's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Dehradun
Posts: 1,708
Thanked: 822 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

So guys any news on the new and improved Thar?

Ashnd: You bought one a couple of days back. Is it the same 2.5 L engine and interiors? Post up some pics of it in white. Would be nice to see it in this color. What is the date of manufacture of your Thar?
navpreet318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review manson Official New Car Reviews 7764 9th October 2017 16:30


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:56.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks