Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2013, 16:48   #2581
BHPian
 
ashnd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 49
Thanked: 365 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

An update to the issues on the Thar:

It took 4.5 hours to sort out four issues and a new one to arise. The missing washer jet pipe was connected. However, there was also AC water leakage and this appears to have been fixed. Whilst at the dealership, I inspected another Thar that was parked in the compound and it did not have any of the issues in mine.

The other two issues were to do with the doors. The passenger side outside door handle was sticky and did not return to its closed position once the door was opened. The workshop lubricated it and made an adjustment to a 'rod' that was causing the issue. It appears to be better now but nowhere near as good as the other Thar.

The other issue is with the tailgate. From day one, the tailgate opener handle was so hard, that you almost needed pliers to open it! I made the mistake of mentioning this to the dealership. Whatever they did at the PDI workshop (this is where vehicles less than a month old get their issues looked at) worsened the issue to the extent that the tailgate did not even close! It was hanging loose and rattling like mad! Another visit to the proper workshop and they got to work with hammers and pliers and made adjustments to the catch mechanism. The result is now the door sticks shut if you close it with great force. However, an annoying rattle has started.

On Sunday I had an alarm and central locking system fitted. Whilst the work was being done, I had the worrying thought that Mahindra people might blame this as the cause of these issues, whilst they were present from day one. Your guess is as good as mine that they certainly used this excuse. I had to silence them and tell them that the catch and lock mechanism is independent and that the issue was present since the first day.

Now I am in a dilemma. Whether to approach them for a third time. Really the catch and the hold on the body needs replacing and this is what I should aim for.

It's a shame that these issues have marred an otherwise pleasant experience of owning this unique vehicle. However trivial they may be, they are unacceptable in a brand new vehicle. I shall update this thread with new developments.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review-img_2892.jpg  

ashnd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2013, 13:20   #2582
BHPian
 
ashishy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hyd/Bom
Posts: 121
Thanked: 35 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

I guess every Thar comes with two sets of problems. One is kind of common with other Thars and the other unique to yours.

I had a major headache in the first month as well. The problem was expertise of people in the workshops. There were two workshops I was visiting with my problems.

End Result:

1) Workshop 1 guys were able to handle one set of problems like Rattling and Electricals.

2) Workshop 2 resolved other problems like Coolant leakages and Headlight alignment.

3) Other problems that I had to live with like rear door rattling. I still bring this up when I go for a service but unfortunately these Mahindra mechanics don't know Thar well.
ashishy is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2013, 08:00   #2583
BHPian
 
911er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 63
Thanked: 79 Times
Unhappy Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

When I logged on to Team-BHP last night, I wanted to read a little about the Thar CRDe's performance on & off the road before booking it today (in 5 hours). After all I've waited more than a decade to own a 'Jeep' and the Thar is the only one my family is ok with me buying. I'd read reviews elsewhere and test-driven the car; now I wanted to know what the owner's had to say about it. This was at around 12AM.

7 hours later I'm still here, I don't remember how many threads I've gone through. I started with the official review, then saw reviews of newly bought cars, then to a thread with a review after using it for ~1000KM. Went through most posts in all those threads (except this one, just the last 20 pages or so). Everyone loved the car but they all spoke about issues, some small (manageable) and some not so. I was still firm in my decision to get one.

Then I read about the 2.2L mHawk version that's speculated to be launched soon and thought I should wait but then I'd rather buy the CRDe now as the price for the new one could be higher and it'll certainly be above my budget (this one barely fits in).

Only one complaint has me worried now; one which comes up a lot and across cities, the problem(s) with the ASCs. I've been driving a Ford Fiesta for 4 years now and I've had my fair share of ASC problems in Mumbai but none as bad as some of which were mentioned here.

Also, this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox
The Thar Crde is not at all doing well off road.

A number of our NIOC ( North India Offroad Club ) boys who ventured out in the Thars on off road trips complained of broken axle rods ( 7 cases ), lower wishbone cracking / breaking, CV Joints breaking. There have been over 30 cases of serious failure on off road trips during the last 12 months in Gurgaon alone.
Though I've never gone off road but I would certainly like to and I can't afford (financially and otherwise) to have breakdowns like that.

My question is, for someone whose never owned a Jeep before, should I buy the Thar?

Someone guide me!
911er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2013, 10:11   #2584
BHPian
 
sjcherian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Chennai
Posts: 428
Thanked: 327 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911er View Post
Only one complaint has me worried now; one which comes up a lot and across cities, the problem(s) with the ASCs. I've been driving a Ford Fiesta for 4 years now and I've had my fair share of ASC problems in Mumbai but none as bad as some of which were mentioned here.
ASC is a mixed experience that varies across dealerships. If you want to get a Thar - go ahead and prepare to face it as it happens. Most on the forum have managed without too much trouble. Make sure you build a good relationship with the service advisers and managers and things will move. Parts availability (door latches etc) has been an issue but nothing that prevents me from driving on a daily basis. Coolant consumption has been high - not had the time to give it for checkup - but other than that everything else works fine.

Please be clear - if it is going to be your primary vehicle - take good care of it and don't bash it offroad in such a way that it requires costly repairs. For that buy a used 540/550 and spend time and money to build it to do whatever stunts you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911er View Post
My question is, for someone whose never owned a Jeep before, should I buy the Thar?
It really is up to you. Most buyers of the Thar (myself included) are first time Jeep owners and have managed to adapt to owning and driving one without any trouble. I have had mine now for 9 months - daily driven over 7K Kms and am writing up my review as well !

However sad as it seems - I have not had the chance to take it offroad due to work and personal commitments on the weekends. Will be doing so at the next Chennai C.O.R.E offroad meet in May.
sjcherian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2013, 10:28   #2585
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,737
Thanked: 1,310 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911er View Post
My question is, for someone whose never owned a Jeep before, should I buy the Thar?
The Thar is most troublefree, comfortable, fastest and the best Jeep you can buy in India today.

As someone who has never bought a Jeep before, I would recommend you buy it not just for the above reasons but also:
1. It will be a new vehicle and hence, will have minimum maintenance required for the next couple of years.
2. You will have complete peace of mind due to your warranty coverage.
3. Any spares that are/will be required will be either available at the ASC or can be officially sourced by them.
4. In case you decide to sell it in a year or two (like a lot of novices today), you will get a reasonable price for it.

Jeeps and their restoration head aches (Some call it passion like I do) can make novices tear their hair out at times and hence it is best to buy something brand new if you can afford to do so, for the first time.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2013, 10:36   #2586
BHPian
 
911er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 63
Thanked: 79 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
ASC is a mixed experience that varies across dealerships. If you want to get a Thar - go ahead and prepare to face it as it happens. Most on the forum have managed without too much trouble. Make sure you build a good relationship with the service advisers and managers and things will move. Parts availability (door latches etc) has been an issue but nothing that prevents me from driving on a daily basis. Coolant consumption has been high - not had the time to give it for checkup - but other than that everything else works fine.

Please be clear - if it is going to be your primary vehicle - take good care of it and don't bash it offroad in such a way that it requires costly repairs. For that buy a used 540/550 and spend time and money to build it to do whatever stunts you want.

It really is up to you. Most buyers of the Thar (myself included) are first time Jeep owners and have managed to adapt to owning and driving one without any trouble. I have had mine now for 9 months - daily driven over 7K Kms and am writing up my review as well !

However sad as it seems - I have not had the chance to take it offroad due to work and personal commitments on the weekends. Will be doing so at the next Chennai C.O.R.E offroad meet in May.
Thanks for the tip, glad to know that there are other first timers here as well. I'm not worried about the smaller problems at all, nor does the quality of the interiors matter to me. I absolutely loved it when I drove it. Just wanted to make sure if it's good for a first time buyer, which as you said, it is. And yes, it'll be my primary vehicle and I always have that at the back of my mind. About the offroading, I've never done it and I don't plan to on my own either. I plan to learn to do it right first. So I'll be careful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
The Thar is most troublefree, comfortable, fastest and the best Jeep you can buy in India today.

As someone who has never bought a Jeep before, I would recommend you buy it not just for the above reasons but also:
1. It will be a new vehicle and hence, will have minimum maintenance required for the next couple of years.
2. You will have complete peace of mind due to your warranty coverage.
3. Any spares that are/will be required will be either available at the ASC or can be officially sourced by them.
4. In case you decide to sell it in a year or two (like a lot of novices today), you will get a reasonable price for it.

Jeeps and their restoration head aches (Some call it passion like I do) can make novices tear their hair out at times and hence it is best to buy something brand new if you can afford to do so, for the first time.
^ That was the exact reason for my father's insistence on buying the Thar and not an older one. Thanks for the reassurance. I think I'll go ahead and take the plunge. I've waited too long to drive one.
911er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2013, 10:45   #2587
AWD
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Drivers seat
Posts: 804
Thanked: 217 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911er View Post
I read about the 2.2L mHawk version that's speculated to be launched soon
I've been waiting for the same because heard Interiors are going to spruced up along with overall fit & finish. So essentially it would be an all new Jeep, with a change of heart, interiors, etc. I would call it that.

I was expecting this in April itself but no confirmations from anywhere, so not sure how long would be the wait! Hope it comes out soon, MM can look forward to increased sales & what is stopping them from launching the new one? Heard a couple of months back that dealers have been told to extinguish stock, have they not been able to so far ?
AWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2013, 14:41   #2588
BHPian
 
sjcherian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Chennai
Posts: 428
Thanked: 327 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Question to Thar owners - what is the maximum amount of diesel you have filled in the Thar so far ? The reason I ask is with the fuel gauge needle at/close to empty without running dry, the max I have been able to fill is around 40L. The specifications indicate a capacity of 60L? Am i missing something ? At most the fuel line I thought would hold 5L?
sjcherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2013, 15:01   #2589
Distinguished - BHPian
 
4x4addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,838
Thanked: 2,202 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
The Thar is most troublefree, comfortable, fastest and the best Jeep you can buy in India today.
I completely agree with Dev, but I would like to caution that if you plan to take it off-road, be prepared for some heavy expenses down the line. Thar CRDe's are becoming an extinct species in OTR's these days.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2013, 15:12   #2590
BHPian
 
911er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 63
Thanked: 79 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I completely agree with Dev, but I would like to caution that if you plan to take it off-road, be prepared for some heavy expenses down the line. Thar CRDe's are becoming an extinct species in OTR's these days.
I'll keep that in mind. I'll have to make peace with it though, can't buy another car just yet. The only off-roading I had initially planned on doing was driving it in a jungle. Will that be a problem too?
911er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2013, 23:38   #2591
BHPian
 
ashnd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 49
Thanked: 365 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911er View Post
I'll keep that in mind. I'll have to make peace with it though, can't buy another car just yet. The only off-roading I had initially planned on doing was driving it in a jungle. Will that be a problem too?
There's one important distinction to be aware of. In OTR events- obstacles, climbs, descents and terrain is of the extreme kind, terrain that you would never come across when driving on the road. Thus, what people are referring to, when they talk of poor performance at OTR events, is that if you buy a Thar CRDe specifically to take part in OTR events, then the IFS will prove less robust that a solid axle. That is all, there is no more to it. The Thar is a rugged Jeep that can go over bad terrain with aplomb and keep you comfortable whilst doing it. You can be confident it will go through the jungle drive and in addition the drive to the jungles on highways will be more powerful, comfortable and refined than any MM540 can offer.

In all fairness, drive sensibly and know the your and the vehicle's limits, and the Thar will prove to be the best all rounder for the price it is sold for. I've personally seen Thars do all that the Gypsys and older Jeeps do at OTR events and then they happily play the role of a daily driver for their owners. Some suffered broken CV joints etc, but mostly due to their driver's turning the wheel when bogged down and putting undue stress on these components. Sure this is a limitation, but if you are aware of this, you will prevent this type of action, and escape damage. I had a Gypsy for a short while before the Thar, solid axles all around and leaf springs combined with a feather light weight, and it does very well offroad. But try and use it as a daily driver or take it on a longer tour and every rumble on the road will feel like a little mountain. This is why the Thar is so appealing, it offers a brilliant compromise.

Mine is 1 week old today, and there have been small issues, but it's a learning curve, and the joy of owning one far exceeds the little niggles. Have no doubts, go ahead and buy it and go out and explore!
ashnd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2013, 09:56   #2592
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,537
Thanked: 419 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911er View Post
My question is, for someone whose never owned a Jeep before, should I buy the Thar?
Go for it, if you dont have the time, passion, need to go for good OTRs. It is a decent compromise if you are willing to compromise on some issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
Question to Thar owners - what is the maximum amount of diesel you have filled in the Thar so far ? The reason I ask is with the fuel gauge needle at/close to empty without running dry, the max I have been able to fill is around 40L. The specifications indicate a capacity of 60L? Am i missing something ? At most the fuel line I thought would hold 5L?
I think the THAR has a 45L fuel tank..only the boleros came with 60L tanks AFAIK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I completely agree with Dev, but I would like to caution that if you plan to take it off-road, be prepared for some heavy expenses down the line. Thar CRDe's are becoming an extinct species in OTR's these days.
Ha ha - It was expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashnd View Post
There's one important distinction to be aware of. In OTR events- obstacles, climbs, descents and terrain is of the extreme kind, terrain that you would never come across when driving on the road. Thus, what people are referring to, when they talk of poor performance at OTR events, is that if you buy a Thar CRDe specifically to take part in OTR events, then the IFS will prove less robust that a solid axle. That is all, there is no more to it. The Thar is a rugged Jeep that can go over bad terrain with aplomb and keep you comfortable whilst doing it. You can be confident it will go through the jungle drive and in addition the drive to the jungles on highways will be more powerful, comfortable and refined than any MM540 can offer.

In all fairness, drive sensibly and know the your and the vehicle's limits, and the Thar will prove to be the best all rounder for the price it is sold for. I've personally seen Thars do all that the Gypsys and older Jeeps do at OTR events and then they happily play the role of a daily driver for their owners. Some suffered broken CV joints etc, but mostly due to their driver's turning the wheel when bogged down and putting undue stress on these components. Sure this is a limitation, but if you are aware of this, you will prevent this type of action, and escape damage. I had a Gypsy for a short while before the Thar, solid axles all around and leaf springs combined with a feather light weight, and it does very well offroad. But try and use it as a daily driver or take it on a longer tour and every rumble on the road will feel like a little mountain. This is why the Thar is so appealing, it offers a brilliant compromise.

Mine is 1 week old today, and there have been small issues, but it's a learning curve, and the joy of owning one far exceeds the little niggles. Have no doubts, go ahead and buy it and go out and explore!
+1 - If someone wants to abuse the THAR like a gypsy - Dont go for it, but if you want a jeep with a decent engine and other compromising parts, there is no other alternative.

Have seen Thars abused and the DI seems to win the race in the off road circuits.
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2013, 10:08   #2593
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,737
Thanked: 1,310 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911er View Post
The only off-roading I had initially planned on doing was driving it in a jungle. Will that be a problem too?
Not at all. The issues people here are talking about are the issues that crop up at times when you participate in full blown off road exercises.
For the kind of off roading you have in mind, you will be happy with it.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2013, 11:40   #2594
BHPian
 
ashishy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hyd/Bom
Posts: 121
Thanked: 35 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
Question to Thar owners - what is the maximum amount of diesel you have filled in the Thar so far ? The reason I ask is with the fuel gauge needle at/close to empty without running dry, the max I have been able to fill is around 40L. The specifications indicate a capacity of 60L? Am i missing something ? At most the fuel line I thought would hold 5L?
It holds 60 litres. I have filled 56 liters once. There is a lot of range left even when the dial comes to the red mark.
ashishy is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2013, 13:04   #2595
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,737
Thanked: 1,310 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishy View Post
There is a lot of range left even when the dial comes to the red mark.
20 liters to be precise.
n.devdath is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review manson Official New Car Reviews 7756 28th April 2017 17:02


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:06.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks