Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2013, 15:07   #2641
Senior - BHPian
 
ku69rd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,254
Thanked: 1,190 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
Technically it is possible, however it calls for extensive re-engineering and is neither worth the cost nor the effort!
Dear Bopanna,
Does the new Thars come equipped with the immobilizer? Still think that Thar is easily prone for car lifters if it is not equipped with. Their website does not make any mention of it though.
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2013, 15:31   #2642
BHPian
 
starter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 878
Thanked: 248 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
Technically it is possible, however it calls for extensive re-engineering and is neither worth the cost nor the effort!
Here you go ku69rd.
http://www.mahindrathar.com/why-the-thar.aspxCheers,
Deepak
starter is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2013, 10:52   #2643
BHPian
 
cpbopanna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 520
Thanked: 671 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post

Dear Bopanna,
Does the new Thars come equipped with the immobilizer? Still think that Thar is easily prone for car lifters if it is not equipped with. Their website does not make any mention of it though.
March 2012 onwards, all Thars have come with immobilizers and factory-fitted air-conditioners
cpbopanna is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2013, 14:06   #2644
Senior - BHPian
 
ku69rd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,254
Thanked: 1,190 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

All,
Was browsing on the Mahindra Thar Euro specifications and appears that they do sell it with the hard top. Awaiting more inputs from learned people on this. Also would it be available in India?

http://www.mahindraeurope.com/press%..._Thar_Hard-Top[1].pdf

Last edited by ku69rd : 7th June 2013 at 14:12.
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2013, 14:36   #2645
XD2
BHPian
 
XD2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: HR-26
Posts: 58
Thanked: 175 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
All,
Was browsing on the Mahindra Thar Euro specifications and appears that they do sell it with the hard top. Awaiting more inputs from learned people on this. Also would it be available in India?

http://www.mahindraeurope.com/press%..._Thar_Hard-Top[1].pdf
The Europe Thar's have that option. That is the hard top that cpbopanna had sourced. Its a lovely one, but sets you back by a couple of lacs.

Not available in India, and, from what I have read, dont think Mahindra is inclined on considering that either. For the HTs, the aftermarket options are the only thing available.
XD2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2013, 15:34   #2646
Senior - BHPian
 
navpreet318's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Dehradun
Posts: 1,676
Thanked: 757 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

there someone in the south who has made a copy of that hardtop. its link is on cpbopanna's thread. do check it out too.
navpreet318 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2013, 15:56   #2647
Senior - BHPian
 
ku69rd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,254
Thanked: 1,190 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by XD2 View Post
The Europe Thar's have that option. That is the hard top that cpbopanna had sourced. Its a lovely one, but sets you back by a couple of lacs.

For the HTs, the aftermarket options are the only thing available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
there someone in the south who has made a copy of that hardtop. its link is on cpbopanna's thread. do check it out too.
But am skeptical if Bopanna's HT has a sun-roof? Too bad M&M treats Indian Customers like dirt eh!!! and then issue huge press statements when the Budget demands more tax from SUV makers :(

Yes Navpreet, there is one firm in Kerala, Would it have the same quality? From the pictures there seems to be quite a lot of difference between the original Italian and Kerala made one in terms of Fit and Finish. Quality might be compromised to make it more attractive for everyone's pockets.
Please find their details

R&T Kalarickal Agencies (P) Ltd, Shop no 9/570,, Kotayam, Kerala, India 686001
+91 99 46 477774

Last edited by ku69rd : 7th June 2013 at 15:57.
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2013, 16:20   #2648
999
BHPian
 
999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 227
Thanked: 84 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
But am skeptical if Bopanna's HT has a sun-roof? Too bad M&M treats Indian Customers like dirt eh!!! and then issue huge press statements when the Budget demands more tax from SUV makers :(

Yes Navpreet, there is one firm in Kerala, Would it have the same quality? From the pictures there seems to be quite a lot of difference between the original Italian and Kerala made one in terms of Fit and Finish. Quality might be compromised to make it more attractive for everyone's pockets.
Please find their details

R&T Kalarickal Agencies (P) Ltd, Shop no 9/570,, Kotayam, Kerala, India 686001
+91 99 46 477774
Even for the euro spec, it is actually made by an Italian vendor. It is an option costing ~2000 euros. It can be exported back to India, and I think that is what cpbopanna did. It could have been given as an option to us, but at that price, including it with the vehicle will alienate more people.
999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2013, 19:53   #2649
BHPian
 
cpbopanna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 520
Thanked: 671 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by 999 View Post
Even for the euro spec, it is actually made by an Italian vendor. It is an option costing ~2000 euros. It can be exported back to India, and I think that is what cpbopanna did. It could have been given as an option to us, but at that price, including it with the vehicle will alienate more people.
My hard top does not have a sun roof. Even without a sun roof, the landed price is nothing short of exorbitant.

M&M will not sell a factory-fitted hard top because:

a. It is not mandated by Indian law
b. Pricing will take it to Scorpio territory.

The only advantage in a Thar is that it is customizable to any extent - fundamentally because it is too basic

A Scorpio owner may not find the necessity to tinker around and spoil the vehicle's originality!
cpbopanna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2013, 08:36   #2650
Senior - BHPian
 
ku69rd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,254
Thanked: 1,190 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by 999 View Post
Even for the euro spec, it is actually made by an Italian vendor. It is an option costing ~2000 euros. .
Well if it does cost 2000 Euros, am sure it will touch close to 300K when you add the freight, insurance, Customs & postal charges from port to your door.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post

a. It is not mandated by Indian law
b. Pricing will take it to Scorpio territory.

The only advantage in a Thar is that it is customizable to any extent - fundamentally because it is too basic
Agree with you strongly Bopanna, no scorpio owner would want to modify and it is not a bare metal design like Thar. However Mahindra should atleast offer them as accessories. Atleast you get the peace of mind that M&M might own atleast a few parts in the HT.
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2013, 10:15   #2651
BHPian
 
cpbopanna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 520
Thanked: 671 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
However Mahindra should atleast offer them as accessories. Atleast you get the peace of mind that M&M might own atleast a few parts in the HT.
Trust a few parts coming from M&M! Even when you buy a SA roll-over cage from Mahindra, they do not supply the required Allen bolts.

If Mahindras do sell the Italian hard top in India, they might expect you to source the front or rear half yourself! :-)
cpbopanna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2013, 03:28   #2652
BHPian
 
911er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 58
Thanked: 76 Times
Default Thar CRDe - Floor support under rear seats

Thar owners, could you please help. I noticed this today - Only the left rear seat is has a support bolted to the floor. Is this how it's supposed to be? Sorry if I worded it wrong. (Also marked with red arrows)

Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review-thar-seat.jpg
911er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2013, 08:47   #2653
BHPian
 
cpbopanna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 520
Thanked: 671 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911er View Post
Thar owners, could you please help. I noticed this today - Only the left rear seat is has a support bolted to the floor. Is this how it's supposed to be? Sorry if I worded it wrong. (Also marked with red arrows)
The LHS rear seat is a 3 seater unlike the RHS rear seat which is a 2 seater.
Since the 3 seater is longer and extends beyond the LHS wheel well, additional support had been provided
cpbopanna is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2013, 21:17   #2654
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 380
Thanked: 325 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

At the risk sounding like a too-often-played-record, does anyone know/ heard anything about the "new Thar", hopefully with the 2.2 L engine? The suspense is killing. I was planning to buy a new "car" and after much churning of the ocean (Etios, EcoSport et al), am back to the "why-not-Thar" state.....
Contrapunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2013, 17:03   #2655
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 20
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Dear Thar experts/BD sir,

Need your help with an issue i faced with my Thar recently. The last 2 weeks i was doing the famed Delhi-Manali-Leh-Srinagar-Delhi circuit and I drove the Thar for almost 4k kms without any major problems.

However there was once instance when climbing the Chang la pass to go towards Pangong lake that I faced an issue with the 4x4. As I neared the top of the Changla pass, i could feel the momentum in the engine dying perhaps due to lack of sufficient oxygen even in 1st gear. I shifted to 4x4 high and went about climbing for 15 mins and then suddenly i heard a loud grinding noise from underneath the vehicle, the kind i had never heard before. I thought that there must be an issue with the 4x4 system so i switched back into 2 wheel drive and slowly started to inch up the climb which was mostly rock, mud and slush and hardly any tarmac.

When I came back to Leh, i wanted to again test the 4x4 system and did a good 1 hr without a hint of the grinding sound i had heard at the top of the pass. I also took it to the Mahindra service in Leh and they said the vehicle was absolutely perfect.
Has anyone on the forum experienced a similar issue?

Needless to say the vehicle performed excellently all through the trip and other cars in our convoy were awestruck at the ability in which i could take the rough terrain. The only thing I got was some rattles and squeaks from the suspension which i am sure to fix during the next service as soon as the vehicle reaches Bangalore.
I am also absolutely sure I had a few converts who want to buy one in the near future when they get back home.

Attached a few pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review-10650_10151484205638240_1532660893_n.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review-1016670_10151484192953240_1689138792_n.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review-1015773_10201127894295716_500249621_o.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review-1044566_10151489540043240_104176530_n.jpg  

Myk.b is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review manson Official New Car Reviews 7742 22nd January 2017 19:54


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:55.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks