Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2014, 18:47   #3091
BHPian
 
himadrimondal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 418
Thanked: 854 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post

The Thar has better front seat comfort, better turning radius and higher cruising speed than my Bolero but on the flip side the steering is vague and feels disconnected, the brakes are horrible, the front end bounces under braking, the entire vehicle rattles, nuts and bolts are jutting out causing injury, rear ride quality is worse compared to the Bolero.
The brakes were definitely horrible until you adjust the rear drums to kill the play. Never experienced front end bouncing. I carry my 6yrs son in it almost daily, do not find a single misplaced nut/bolt that may injure him. The thar is a good ride, boss if you don't drive it like a storm chaser.
himadrimondal is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2014, 02:58   #3092
Senior - BHPian
 
desertfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gurgaon, Delhi NCR
Posts: 1,179
Thanked: 516 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
Hi desertfox, i agree, on the face of it, after thoroughly checking, it seems not to have any issues. I am sure, things will crop up once I start driving it. The coolant leakage has been arrested as per ASC and they did a good test drive of the vehicle. I have not seen it yet and I will take delivery this coming week. I hope for the best

Swami
ASC assurance is not enough simply because there is not years of experience on a Thar with these teams. Spurt in Thar sales all around is a recent phenomenon.. Open the hood and check for yourself as to whether the clamps are tight now.

Confirmatory test - [ark the Thar at an angle with the drivers side tilting down. Leave it for 10 minutes and then check for coolant seapage from the footboard below the driver side door or directly under the driver side door on the ground.

If coolant is flowing out, replace the clamps.

Last edited by desertfox : 25th August 2014 at 03:00.
desertfox is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2014, 23:42   #3093
BHPian
 
tomraven99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Kottayam
Posts: 108
Thanked: 41 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

The Thar sure is incontinent.
Once you fix the visible coolant leaks the invisible leaks start to crop up.

This is the third time I have to visit the ASC for coolant level drop.
tomraven99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2014, 10:47   #3094
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 3,059
Thanked: 4,529 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomraven99 View Post
Once you fix the visible coolant leaks the invisible leaks start to crop up. This is the third time I have to visit the ASC for coolant level drop.
Dear tomraven - tell the ASC to purge the cooling system. Complete purging process is made available, the guys have to use it. Then give me the result, if OK, fine, if not OK, then I will tell you the next steps.

Kya yaar! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2014, 11:55   #3095
BHPian
 
swami69's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 197
Thanked: 378 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Hi All, Coolant leakage pre-delivery - Action taken by the ASC includes, cleaning up all the previous spray and coolant marks, replace the kit pipes and the clamp, test drove for around 20kms, confirmed no leak. I saw the vehicle yesterday and ran the engine, kept the A/C on, raised throttle for a few minutes and there is no leak and the engine bay is clean. Hope they have arrested it. I will take delivery, run it and keep checking for the coolant level and any leakages.

Swami
swami69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2014, 14:08   #3096
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 3,059
Thanked: 4,529 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
Hi All, Coolant leakage pre-delivery - Action taken by the ASC includes, cleaning up all the previous spray and coolant marks, replace the kit pipes and the clamp, test drove for around 20kms, confirmed no leak. I saw the vehicle yesterday and ran the engine, kept the A/C on, raised throttle for a few minutes and there is no leak and the engine bay is clean. Hope they have arrested it. I will take delivery, run it and keep checking for the coolant level and any leakages. Swami
Dear swami69 - please follow complete purging process, including purging of heater inlet and outlet pipes. It is essential that all air trapped in the system is physically thrown out, otherwise you will continue to get coolant level drop without any visible external leakage and you will get confused as to what is happening.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2014, 15:26   #3097
BHPian
 
swami69's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 197
Thanked: 378 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Thanks DB Sir, I am yet to take delivery and as of now it seems allright. After taking delivery, I will monitor it for a while and if there are leakage/coolant level issues, I will ask them to thoroughly do the purging as per your guidance.

Swami

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear swami69 - please follow complete purging process, including purging of heater inlet and outlet pipes. It is essential that all air trapped in the system is physically thrown out, otherwise you will continue to get coolant level drop without any visible external leakage and you will get confused as to what is happening.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by swami69 : 26th August 2014 at 15:29. Reason: spelling mistake
swami69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2014, 00:10   #3098
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 11
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Hello!

I have a 23 month old Thar! While it is a pleasure to drive always when things are going well, it's a pain in the ass to get spare parts or to deal with Mahindra ASC's when things go wrong. For the most part I have had no issues except for one or two things that I had to deal with the nincompoopery/absolute stupidity of Mahindra ASC's.

I have stopped going to Mahindra ASCs for a while now (around 10 months) just because my blood boils at the stupidity at ASC's. They have no clue on how to fix the simplest of issues with a Thar. I do all oil changes myself using genuine Mahindra recommended Oils and all.

As of the last few days there is a clicking noise from the right-side (driver side) front wheel. Its kind of scary so I took my Thar to Chrome Motors in Bangalore. The idiots there as expected could not rectify the issue and gave me a bill of Rs 1760 for general service and for coolant top up. They told me they would fix the coolant leak and fill the radiator coolant as it would spill during opening and replacement of the coolant tube.

Further they do not have the rivet/clips for the soft top tarpaulin nor do they have the rivet screws for the dashboard. In short every service request I had asked for was not fixed. And I had to pay Rs 1760 to top it all.

So when I drove the vehicle home, I placed the vehicle in 4X4 High. I now have a clattering noise along with an intermittent squealing noise when in 4x4 High.

My question is, could the clicking noise from the front right wheel be related to the four wheel drive, even though I have not used my four wheel drive in more than a year?

Moreover, do any of the Bangalore folk here know of any non-Mahindra ASC' service center or mechanic for the Thar?

I've had it with Mahindra ASC's with their total lack of knowledge on how to fix or maintain Thar's and their perpetual lack of spares and thorough disinterest toward all things Thar!

Any help would be appreciated!
ComSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2014, 01:40   #3099
Distinguished - BHPian
 
BlackPearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 2,061
Thanked: 2,733 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
The brakes were definitely horrible until you adjust the rear drums to kill the play. Never experienced front end bouncing. I carry my 6yrs son in it almost daily, do not find a single misplaced nut/bolt that may injure him. The thar is a good ride, boss if you don't drive it like a storm chaser.
I will show you how I got hurt the next time we meet :-)
I do not drive like a maniac, the Thar is a good ride for two people but the steering is way too vague for my liking and the entire vehicle rattles like a juke box. Anyways it is a heart over head matter, the heart will always say yes when we see a Thar and brain will say no specially after my last experience
It can be made to a good vehicle if one has the time and patience to work on it like the modifications you have done on your Thar .

Last edited by BlackPearl : 28th August 2014 at 01:43.
BlackPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2014, 08:43   #3100
BHPian
 
dean5545's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: mumbai
Posts: 646
Thanked: 731 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
Is the quality of glass used in a Thar inferior to Scorpio and even a Bolero ? Why is so much glare and reflection in it ?

Yes it is. My friends Thar windshield developed a crack due to the warm air from the blower while applying sunfilm.
He got it replaced for free by the vkool guys is another thing.
dean5545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2014, 08:55   #3101
Senior - BHPian
 
akshay4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandigarh/Mohali/Ambala Cantt
Posts: 3,757
Thanked: 1,509 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
The brakes were definitely horrible until you adjust the rear drums to kill the play. Never experienced front end bouncing. I carry my 6yrs son in it almost daily, do not find a single misplaced nut/bolt that may injure him. The thar is a good ride, boss if you don't drive it like a storm chaser.
More details on to how to adjust rear drums?
Braking is pretty bad in the stock form.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2014, 11:07   #3102
Senior - BHPian
 
desertfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gurgaon, Delhi NCR
Posts: 1,179
Thanked: 516 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSub View Post
Hello!

I have a 23 month old Thar! While it is a pleasure to drive always when things are going well, it's a pain in the ass to get spare parts or to deal with Mahindra ASC's when things go wrong. For the most part I have had no issues except for one or two things that I had to deal with the nincompoopery/absolute stupidity of Mahindra ASC's.

I have stopped going to Mahindra ASCs for a while now (around 10 months) just because my blood boils at the stupidity at ASC's. They have no clue on how to fix the simplest of issues with a Thar. I do all oil changes myself using genuine Mahindra recommended Oils and all.

As of the last few days there is a clicking noise from the right-side (driver side) front wheel. Its kind of scary so I took my Thar to Chrome Motors in Bangalore. The idiots there as expected could not rectify the issue and gave me a bill of Rs 1760 for general service and for coolant top up. They told me they would fix the coolant leak and fill the radiator coolant as it would spill during opening and replacement of the coolant tube.

Further they do not have the rivet/clips for the soft top tarpaulin nor do they have the rivet screws for the dashboard. In short every service request I had asked for was not fixed. And I had to pay Rs 1760 to top it all.

So when I drove the vehicle home, I placed the vehicle in 4X4 High. I now have a clattering noise along with an intermittent squealing noise when in 4x4 High.

My question is, could the clicking noise from the front right wheel be related to the four wheel drive, even though I have not used my four wheel drive in more than a year?

Moreover, do any of the Bangalore folk here know of any non-Mahindra ASC' service center or mechanic for the Thar?

I've had it with Mahindra ASC's with their total lack of knowledge on how to fix or maintain Thar's and their perpetual lack of spares and thorough disinterest toward all things Thar!

Any help would be appreciated!
Yes it is related to the Borg Warner transfer case.

After going back in 2H stop. Engage reverse gear and drive back a few yards once or teice the squeal will go.
desertfox is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2014, 15:07   #3103
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 11
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
Yes it is related to the Borg Warner transfer case.

After going back in 2H stop. Engage reverse gear and drive back a few yards once or teice the squeal will go.
Thanks Desert Fox!

I always reverse after disengaging from 4X4H by going in reverse not just once but a couple of times until I hear a click (not always audible). In 4X2 mode the vehicle is fine except for the clicking noise from the front driver side wheels. It's more like a AC thermostat clicking noise, but from the from wheel.

And now the clattering and grinding noise when I engaged the 4x4H yesterday. Will take it to a local mechanic this weekend to check on what the issue is.

From now on I'll never ever ever go back to a Mahindra ASC.
ComSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2014, 18:24   #3104
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,043
Thanked: 914 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Clicking usually denotes axle noise. It may be that the front axle is a bit worn out at the CV end, or the CV joint itself has developed problem. Take the vehicle to a CV expert and he will diagnose it fast.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2014, 19:28   #3105
BHPian
 
tomraven99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Kottayam
Posts: 108
Thanked: 41 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear tomraven - tell the ASC to purge the cooling system. Complete purging process is made available, the guys have to use it.
DB Sir..
Today took the vehicle to a non ASC.There were small leaks from the upper radiator hose and thermostat housing.After removing the hose and housing he applied some silicone sealant to the edges and tightened everything.The leaks seem to have stopped now.
tomraven99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review manson Official New Car Reviews 7749 3rd March 2017 22:15


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:15.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks