Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2014, 10:37   #3121
BHPian
 
ruchirtnt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Lucknow/Gurgaon
Posts: 999
Thanked: 74 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

I was hunting to have a look of red Thar and it came true with Koncept motors, safdarjung outlet in delhi. these people have a red thar for demo. this is the first time i drove a Thar. I will not complain the drive since I was driving Jeep for the first time in life. I am always used to sedans and SUV and they are always comfortable and catchy in looks. The driving experience was like a big prototype vehicle which is yet to get the interiors done

But the commanding position and the turning radius was very well. even the sitting position was comfortable compared to sedans and other CSUV (to be noted I am 6'2"). I was also taken aback many a times with its sheer brutal force. I did not got many glancing eyes in delhi because I think they are too used to this vehicle but in lucknow this will still be a eye catcher. if I will get all the due clearance from my family members, I will definitely go ahead and buy a red one even when it is not making any sense to own a very basic vehicle that is a jeep and not a car

Last edited by ruchirtnt : 16th September 2014 at 10:40.
ruchirtnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2014, 14:07   #3122
BHPian
 
ruchirtnt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Lucknow/Gurgaon
Posts: 999
Thanked: 74 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Just a small query. I am reading all the posts about sticking to the stock soft top vs the aftermarket half canopy. I am also of the opinion to have a half canopy but keeping the engineering of the stock one in hand. Is there any provision where I can ONLY remove the back soft top, KEEP the driver seat head soft top intact and COVER the back of the front seats with some soft canopy.
ruchirtnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2014, 16:57   #3123
BHPian
 
ruchirtnt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Lucknow/Gurgaon
Posts: 999
Thanked: 74 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

I am putting my best to realize my dream of owing a jeep. I have got two members vote out of 5 Lets see if i can convince others too.

Meanwhile, I am exploring the color option for Thar. I already got my hands on a red and a black thar. I will also check rocky biege tomorrow since it is the most in demand color in Team Bhp. personally I am more inclined towards red.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review-img_1798.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review-img_1850.jpg  

ruchirtnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2014, 17:01   #3124
BHPian
 
ruchirtnt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Lucknow/Gurgaon
Posts: 999
Thanked: 74 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Now this one is the last color on my mind until I saw rocky biege in flesh. I was not at all considering to buy this one and was most convinced with a red one. Iam more confused now after seeing this color. Sales executive told me that there are 4 black, 2 rocky biege and 2 white sold by him but no red.

Please suggest.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review-img_1852.jpg  

ruchirtnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2014, 19:16   #3125
BHPian
 
cpbopanna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 519
Thanked: 671 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
Now this one is the last color on my mind until I saw rocky biege in flesh. I was not at all considering to buy this one and was most convinced with a red one. Iam more confused now after seeing this color. Sales executive told me that there are 4 black, 2 rocky biege and 2 white sold by him but no red.

Please suggest.
Simple suggestion - no modifications (hard-top, etc), go with black
Many modifications - go with Rocky Beige, the contrast between the body and soft-top stands out in the Rocky Beige!
cpbopanna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2014, 19:22   #3126
BHPian
 
ruchirtnt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Lucknow/Gurgaon
Posts: 999
Thanked: 74 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
Simple suggestion - no modifications (hard-top, etc), go with black
Many modifications - go with Rocky Beige, the contrast between the body and soft-top stands out in the Rocky Beige!
Thanks for the suggestion but I am confused between a red and rocky biege
ruchirtnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2014, 08:04   #3127
BHPian
 
ruchirtnt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Lucknow/Gurgaon
Posts: 999
Thanked: 74 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

In my opinion, I have observed:

Thar if Open, following color will look best

1. Black
2. Rocky Biege
3. Red

Thar with Soft Top

1. Red
2. Rocky Biege
3. Black

So, I am finding rocky biege to be position quite well.
ruchirtnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2014, 09:03   #3128
BHPian
 
sjcherian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Chennai
Posts: 424
Thanked: 320 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
In my opinion, I have observed:

Thar if Open, following color will look best

1. Black
2. Rocky Biege
3. Red

Thar with Soft Top

1. Red
2. Rocky Biege
3. Black

So, I am finding rocky biege to be position quite well.
I was always confused between Silver and Rocky Beige. Black is a great color but you will need to take a lot of care to keep the paint flashy. All minor defects in the paint show in black. Silver and Beige will not show dust as easily. However after getting the Toreador Red Thar - cannot think of any other color. Go Red !
sjcherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2014, 09:54   #3129
BHPian
 
ruchirtnt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Lucknow/Gurgaon
Posts: 999
Thanked: 74 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Thanks for the suggestion. even I had zeroed down red until i saw rocky biege.

I great news is that i got green signal to buy a Thar after a lot of persuasion but the condition is to buy it in 2015. How soon can i get a 2015 make Thar? Should I book in December or there is not much difference between 2014 and 2015 version and resale

Last edited by ruchirtnt : 21st September 2014 at 10:16.
ruchirtnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2014, 16:27   #3130
BHPian
 
ruchirtnt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Lucknow/Gurgaon
Posts: 999
Thanked: 74 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

http://auto.ndtv.com/news/3-compact-...2-years-662742

I came across this link. the most important info is that there is a subtle chance of launch of bolero makeover which will be in the lines of Jeep wrangler and will be placed below Thar.
ruchirtnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2014, 13:48   #3131
BHPian
 
KkVaidya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 589
Thanked: 205 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

I booked a Thar CRDe on 25th of September with Punjab Auto here in Ahmadabad and reminisced the 'Premier' era of buying a car in the 80's.

Firstly, the dealer says " No Discount on Thar".
Second disappointment is with the mandatory insurance. They are charging (ripping is the proper word) around Rs. 35,000 for zero dep insurance and you do not have the option of getting your car insured on your own!! So they overcharge 7,000 rupees and you cannot buy Thar if you do not buy insurance from the dealer!! What is Mahindra doing?

Also I would like to ask existing owners whether they got any update after booking under the MOST scheme where by you are intimated on each step until the car leaves the factory. I have not received any update and the dealer is not interested in giving information of MOST maybe because he has a ready vehicle - and he will deliver the same piece to me after 15-20 days saying it came new from factory
KkVaidya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2014, 13:52   #3132
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 23
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Neither did i get any update under the MOST scheme when i booked my Thar in May. However, no such restrictions on buying Insurance from the Dealer in my case. I booked it from G3 Motors, Kandivali, Mumbai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
I booked a Thar CRDe on 25th of September with Punjab Auto here in Ahmadabad and reminisced the 'Premier' era of buying a car in the 80's.

Firstly, the dealer says " No Discount on Thar".
Second disappointment is with the mandatory insurance. They are charging (ripping is the proper word) around Rs. 35,000 for zero dep insurance and you do not have the option of getting your car insured on your own!! So they overcharge 7,000 rupees and you cannot buy Thar if you do not buy insurance from the dealer!! What is Mahindra doing?

Also I would like to ask existing owners whether they got any update after booking under the MOST scheme where by you are intimated on each step until the car leaves the factory. I have not received any update and the dealer is not interested in giving information of MOST maybe because he has a ready vehicle - and he will deliver the same piece to me after 15-20 days saying it came new from factory
confused_soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2014, 14:04   #3133
BHPian
 
ruchirtnt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Lucknow/Gurgaon
Posts: 999
Thanked: 74 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
I booked a Thar CRDe on 25th of September with Punjab Auto here in Ahmadabad and reminisced the 'Premier' era of buying a car in the 80's.

Firstly, the dealer says " No Discount on Thar".
There is a very very small corporate discount ranging from 5000 - 6000. you may check with them if salaried.
ruchirtnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2014, 14:04   #3134
BHPian
 
KkVaidya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 589
Thanked: 205 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by confused_soul View Post
Neither did i get any update under the MOST scheme when i booked my Thar in May. However, no such restrictions on buying Insurance from the Dealer in my case. I booked it from G3 Motors, Kandivali, Mumbai.
Did you ask the dealer why no update under MOST? I have already written an email to Mahindra customer care today morning. Lets see if they care to reply.
KkVaidya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2014, 18:06   #3135
Distinguished - BHPian
 
4x4addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,748
Thanked: 1,983 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Firstly, the dealer says " No Discount on Thar".
This is understandable as it is low volume model where prouction is generally in sync with demand. It is when manufacturer's end up with huge inventory they resort to discounting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Second disappointment is with the mandatory insurance.
Please raise this issue with Mahindra by calling toll free or using the complaint link on their website. My dealer tried the same and finally I got the same insurance much cheaper outside. This is not required by Mahindra but pushed by dealers.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review manson Official New Car Reviews 7733 12th January 2017 16:25


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:23.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks