Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2017, 19:33   #3646
BHPian
 
cpbopanna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 555
Thanked: 779 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilmadgavkar View Post
Thanks, I am trying to get in touch with someone from Mahindra, as the service centre people are not able to resolve this.



Note from Moderator : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
Please don't bother, rather learn to live with it!

Just take precautions to ensure that no water remains on the floor after driving through rains or a water wash!

Remove the floor mats/carpets after every 'session' and mop the floor dry, that's the only solution!

The intrinsic 'design' of the vehicle ensures that it just cannot be water-tight

Last edited by cpbopanna : 25th September 2017 at 20:02.
cpbopanna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2017, 09:53   #3647
BHPian
 
pyrodrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: guwahati
Posts: 131
Thanked: 189 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Regarding the trickle of water behind the dash and into the driver's and passenger footwells, I have found that this does not occur during a pressure wash, and also if the vehicle is parked in the rain. But if driven in rains, it does occur. I think the root cause of this is the wipers. The wipers, when on, hits the black rubber strip below the windscreen glass each time it moves and creates a kink there, and the rainwater from d windscreen goes in between the glass and the rubber. From there it goes along the groove and finds its way behind the dash.
I think the remedy will be to apply some silicon sealant or some other adhesive along the rubber. I am wondering whether to try a DIY fix or to get it done professionally ( finding a good place to get it done is a problem in my city) and also which adhesive to use.
What do you guys think of this? anybody else noticed the issue?
pyrodrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2017, 11:30   #3648
Senior - BHPian
 
Reinhard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,117
Thanked: 1,169 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrodrive View Post
I think the root cause of this is the wipers. The wipers, when on, hits the black rubber strip below the windscreen glass each time it moves and creates a kink there, and the rainwater from d windscreen goes in between the glass and the rubber. From there it goes along the groove and finds its way behind the dash.
If that is the case - M&M must have contracted the world's worst gasket maker for supplying the windshield gaskets. It is a possibility but I don't think this will be the reason. The gasket-glass combination has been around literally for ages now and people have pretty much mastered it. Even M&M won't leave this simple a design flaw in a car for so long...
In most THARs that I have seen (and I'm glad I get to see a LOT!) - the wiper blades don't really hit the gasket. In fact they generally move less than they should!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrodrive View Post
I think the remedy will be to apply some silicon sealant or some other adhesive along the rubber. I am wondering whether to try a DIY fix or to get it done professionally ( finding a good place to get it done is a problem in my city) and also which adhesive to use.
What do you guys think of this? anybody else noticed the issue?
The silicon sealant won't last a week if the wipers are indeed hitting the gasket. The only thing that might survive is a fine hand applied layer of combination epoxy adhesives like Araldite. But that will harden the rubber area.
Reinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2017, 06:39   #3649
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 47
Thanked: 7 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

This thread has been a great resource of information and has me become more confident about buying one, thanks. Are there any sure fix problems to things like the leaking canopy at all? I'm thinking moving to a hard top may be a solution, any reason why I should not?

Also, what are the things I should watch out for when I go to a test drive? Planning to do it in the next day or so.
abhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 18:36   #3650
BHPian
 
suzuki san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Goa & Bombay
Posts: 486
Thanked: 300 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Hi Guys,

Looking at going in for a second hand "Thar". Is there anything specific I should be looking out for? Having been through a few pages of this thread and reading about water leakages etc, my initial enthusiasm has died down a bit.
I do not like spending time in garages, ASS or FNG - Is it wise therefore to go in for a Thar?
Your expert advice would be much appreciated.

Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2017, 18:39   #3651
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 30
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Guys,



Looking at going in for a second hand "Thar". Is there anything specific I should be looking out for? Having been through a few pages of this thread and reading about water leakages etc, my initial enthusiasm has died down a bit.

I do not like spending time in garages, ASS or FNG - Is it wise therefore to go in for a Thar?

Your expert advice would be much appreciated.



Regards,

SS

If you don't like spending time in garages, run away!!
The ASS is completely useless, they will never address all your problems and usually are not familiar with the workings of a jeep. A good FNG is your best bet. But whatever said, it needs time commitment to maintain one.
If you still want a jeep, assuming it's your 2nd vehicle, just look out for decent mechanicals, being a jeep everything is easily fixable.
a_nan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2017, 19:05   #3652
BHPian
 
thorque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 27
Thanked: 28 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi View Post
This thread has been a great resource of information and has me become more confident about buying one, thanks. Are there any sure fix problems to things like the leaking canopy at all? I'm thinking moving to a hard top may be a solution, any reason why I should not?

Also, what are the things I should watch out for when I go to a test drive? Planning to do it in the next day or so.
Hey,a hard top might come with its own complement of niggles like seepage and rattles,make sure you get one that's recommended by the gurus in here.

There's a hard top manufacturer in Peenya,Bangalore.This guy seems to have duplicated the Hyderabad hard top design and is selling it at a substantially lower cost,don't have feedback on the reliability of things but the guy seemed quite earnest when I spoke with him on the phone.

Last edited by thorque : 14th October 2017 at 19:07. Reason: typo
thorque is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2017, 23:23   #3653
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 47
Thanked: 7 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorque View Post
Hey,a hard top might come with its own complement of niggles like seepage and rattles,make sure you get one that's recommended by the gurus in here.

There's a hard top manufacturer in Peenya,Bangalore.This guy seems to have duplicated the Hyderabad hard top design and is selling it at a substantially lower cost,don't have feedback on the reliability of things but the guy seemed quite earnest when I spoke with him on the phone.
Thanks thorque, but I finally dropped this plan because of multiple reasons and have now booked a Duster.
abhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2017, 08:57   #3654
BHPian
 
suzuki san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Goa & Bombay
Posts: 486
Thanked: 300 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_nan View Post
If you don't like spending time in garages, run away!!
The ASS is completely useless, they will never address all your problems and usually are not familiar with the workings of a jeep. A good FNG is your best bet. But whatever said, it needs time commitment to maintain one.
If you still want a jeep, assuming it's your 2nd vehicle, just look out for decent mechanicals, being a jeep everything is easily fixable.
Thanks a_nan,

I experienced the shortcomings of the ASS even before going for the test drive when I tried to call and make an appointment to bring the vehicle for a general check up.

Anyway, went for the test drive and was not impressed at all with the suspension - my main reason for wanting this vehicle.
It's off my list forever!

Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2017, 09:32   #3655
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 47
Thanked: 7 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Even here in Bangalore, Anant Cars made no effort to bring the Thar for a test drive. They only called in once a week and kept asking if (and when) I would turn up. I strongly believe if they do not put in the effort while making a sale, it just goes downhill from there.
abhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review manson Official New Car Reviews 7764 9th October 2017 16:30


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:53.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks