Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2011, 16:00   #466
BHPian
 
star_aqua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 612
Thanked: 88 Times
Default Re: Solid!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeDrive View Post
I don't think the Excel is a Mahindra thing - looks more like something done at the Dealer end. I'm sure Mahindra has the resources to come up with something much better and jazzier. But if this is from Mahindra, then they really need to have a second look at their MBAs in their marketing department.
with the peanut budget for this project, this is all one could come with. Can't spend on marketing too.
star_aqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 16:02   #467
Senior - BHPian
 
svsantosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hosur
Posts: 3,308
Thanked: 1,252 Times
Default Re: Solid!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeDrive View Post
I don't think the Excel is a Mahindra thing - looks more like something done at the Dealer end. I'm sure Mahindra has the resources to come up with something much better and jazzier. But if this is from Mahindra, then they really need to have a second look at their MBAs in their marketing department.
Dealers are at their own level - saying Mdi is full time 4wd and crde is optional, or some thing like that... this excel looks so-M&M and must have been spread across their dealers as a template and the prices were filled by the dealers looks like...

EDIT- totally jobless now... so did this.

The pricing/launch was on 21st, no ways Sireesh or any bangalore dealer could have 'created' this excel file on 24th dec 2010. So must be the M&M marketing team, BTW whos prashanth?

Name:  untitled.JPG
Views: 2034
Size:  33.6 KB

Last edited by svsantosh : 11th January 2011 at 16:08.
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 16:18   #468
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Had been quite excited about the launch of the Thar and have gone through most of the posts here about it.

About me : Not an offroader or anything like that , but your average software engg. I am looking at a lifestyle vehicle. If I buy the Thar, this is going to be my second vehicle.Now let me come to my requirements.


My requirements:
* A daily use car for going to office. 50-60 kms a day.
* Must have an A/C and a hard top which I can take down when i want to ( you know for the wind in the hair experience) or should the hard top owner give up on this experience totally?
* Premium fit and finish.
* Extremely comfortable seats.
*Front facing seats behind where i can put up a car seat for my kid.
* Love travelling long distance in the car. Mainly Chennai - Kannur (via Blr). Anybody who has done a Blr- Kannur will know that you need a 4X4 (heck even a 8x8 if there is one) to take you through the virajpetta route.So the journey should not be back breaking. Need to get there in comfort.
* Maintenance should be easy on the pocket.

I think the Thar apart from AC, HT and interior fit/finish fits the bill .I also have no issues with the current price of the THAR, willing to pay additional paisa for the A/c , HT, interiors spruce up and pluh seats.
Simple question , can this be done, if yes where is the best place to do it in chennai and how much would it cost? Ball park figure would be of immense help.
PS:I did see a Car customization dept at Carnation in chennai. Would that be the ideal place to start?

Last edited by .anshuman : 11th January 2011 at 16:28.
Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 16:25   #469
BHPian
 
Mafia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: BLR MCT
Posts: 418
Thanked: 45 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
More of THAR CRDE rusting pictures below,Dont know what to say reg the shell and interior quality for the price quoted.

these are not very flattering pics! I am sort of disappointed seeing rust on a display vehicle.

hopefully it is a one of case!
Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 16:41   #470
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,956
Thanked: 4,826 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
Simple question , can this be done, if yes where is the best place to do it in chennai and how much would it cost? Ball park figure would be of immense help.
Yes, it can be done. Easily. Ballpark figure? I'd say 1.75L tops.

Where? The Chennai bhpians can guide you better for that.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 16:54   #471
Senior - BHPian
 
Ym-enjn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Jaipur
Posts: 1,039
Thanked: 54 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

I am sure the HT and AC model will come out in near future but already Mahindra is giving you lots of choice in hard top vehicles. For eg:
Thar- 4x4 Soft top, fan heater no AC.
Bolero 4x4- A hard top 4x4 jeep.. May be AC is also there
Scorpio- Latest 4x4 Jeep with very good Hard Top AC ABS Airbags etc etc..
For people who do not want to take Thar offroad just want 4x2 hard top ac and etc there is Xylo a long wheelbase 4x2 jeep with HT.. for office and family purpose.
Then there is Invader 4x4 another option..
Which other company giving so many 4x4s???
So lets move on with it n enjoy Thar in Soft top and open top for the time..
Ym-enjn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 16:55   #472
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,885
Thanked: 15,539 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
I am sure the HT and AC model will come out in near future but already Mahindra is giving you lots of choice in hard top vehicles. For eg:
Thar- 4x4 Soft top, fan heater no AC.
Bolero 4x4- A hard top 4x4 jeep.. May be AC is also there
Scorpio- Latest 4x4 Jeep with very good Hard Top AC ABS Airbags etc etc..
For people who do not want to take Thar offroad just want 4x2 hard top ac and etc there is Xylo a long wheelbase 4x2 jeep with HT.. for office and family purpose.
Then there is Invader 4x4 another option..
Which other company giving so many 4x4s???
So lets move on with it n enjoy Thar in Soft top and open top for the time..
There is no bolero 4x4 which can be sold in tier one(BS-IV) cities.
Scorpio is way above 10L
So Mahindra Thar is the only 4x4 BS-IV vehicle by mahindra below 10L
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 17:05   #473
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,582
Thanked: 7,059 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
Had been quite excited about the launch of the Thar and have gone through most of the posts here about it.

=======
PS:I did see a Car customization dept at Carnation in chennai. Would that be the ideal place to start?
Nothing is impossible if you have the budget, since you seems to have it go ahead and pick Thar up. Its a great car. But please keep your expectations wrt fit and finish to the minimum. If you are new to the world of jeeps and 4x4, double check on expectations. Coz i personally have seen many people regretting after the initial excitement.

Cost as indicated below, and there are many alternatives, including semi hard tops But i will not recommend putting child seat on the rear seat of a soft top 4x4. Irrespective of Thar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafia View Post
hopefully it is a one of case!
It really is not! if i have to give you a realistic reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
I am sure the HT and AC model will come out in near future but already Mahindra is giving you lots of choice in hard top vehicles.
==============
Which other company giving so many 4x4s???
So lets move on with it n enjoy Thar in Soft top and open top for the time..
Yes but we wanted capable 4x4 tourers with AC and HT to make the longer trips and participate in OTR's. Hence many are waiting for news from M&M.

Atleast this time they will get it right on pricing front
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 19:16   #474
BHPian
 
DRIVEN-TWEEL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: calicut
Posts: 58
Thanked: 72 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

the bf goodrich 245 r16, which was shown in the before post would be bigger in diameter right.? is it fine with no touching absolutely.. or is the vehicle raised ? can anyone reply me regarding this..
DRIVEN-TWEEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 20:39   #475
BHPian
 
somubj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 124
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

I have almost planned to buy Thar, only question that is concerning me is "if Mahindra comes up with a V2 soon enough, or just some corrections with the dash, will they provide a free upgrade to the initial buyers?". In short, it is a great product, on the expensive end, i want to buy one, but i don't want to be a guinea pig :-).

"If at a later stage" because of all the rants and raves, mahindra decided to correct the flaws, or give an A/C ..etc, i need that as well - without any extra expense.

Last thing that i would want is driving next to another Thar which has a factory fitted a/c and h/t.

Last edited by somubj : 11th January 2011 at 20:40. Reason: spelling correction
somubj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 21:11   #476
BHPian
 
SafeDrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 411
Thanked: 47 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by somubj View Post
Last thing that i would want is driving next to another Thar which has a factory fitted a/c and h/t.
Be optimistic, you could be driving next to another Thar which has a factory fitted a/c and h/t and smile - Thank God I did not go for that
SafeDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 21:15   #477
Senior - BHPian
 
jaysmokesleaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mostly Mumbai
Posts: 1,674
Thanked: 1,159 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

@ KHAN & TEJAS >> Thanks for a wonderful detailed review of the THAR.

From the driveability and mechanical functionality perspective i would give it 2 thumbs up.
Interiors = -100 points. Fit & finish = - 100 points.

I dont know what budget constraint will prevent a manufacturer from redesigning the door handle for the rear entry. That pic says tons about what to expect w.r.t fit & finish.
The jugaad type fitment for the rollover beams on the roof.
The off centre steering.
The hacksaw cut dashboard.
Is this what the Indian customer should expect.
The story of " its a JEEP thing" doesnt really impress.
Its like saying " its a BULLET thing".

What on earth does it take to give a niggle free Bullet or a niggle free Jeep.
Why cant Mahindra & all the Indian manufacturers get it right, from the start, before sacrificing a few Indian customers as test guinea pigs.

A jeeper is supposed to struggle with a trapped rear door latch.
Jeeper should put up with dustbin plastic for a dashboard with edges rough enough to cut you through.
A Jeeper does not need to have an Ac, even if he is evaporating in the summer heat, and he doesnt need a heater either even if he freezes to death in high altitude winter.
A Jeeper does not need to have the safety & security of a hard top either.
A Jeeper should be OK with his vehicle rusting soon after delivery.(just like Bullets)

Mahindra, with the THAR, has the opportunity to redefine the JEEPER, from a sweating pig turned into a mechanic after he is done playing in the mud, to a more refined human who can go out an play without having to sweat too much, play without getting dirty and play without having to take up a course in automobile engineering.
There is a Jeeper in everyone and That is the Jeeper in me, even if the whole world might disagree. And trust me when I say this, there are many who would love to take the plunge into Jeeping, if Mahindra can make it more refined and humane.

Cheers,

Jay
jaysmokesleaves is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 23:36   #478
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,150
Thanked: 13,734 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
A jeeper is supposed to struggle with a trapped rear door latch.
Jeeper should put up with dustbin plastic for a dashboard with edges rough enough to cut you through.
A Jeeper does not need to have an Ac, even if he is evaporating in the summer heat, and he doesnt need a heater either even if he freezes to death in high altitude winter.
A Jeeper does not need to have the safety & security of a hard top either.
A Jeeper should be OK with his vehicle rusting soon after delivery.(just like Bullets)

Mahindra, with the THAR, has the opportunity to redefine the JEEPER, from a sweating pig turned into a mechanic after he is done playing in the mud, to a more refined human who can go out an play without having to sweat too much, play without getting dirty and play without having to take up a course in automobile engineering.
Guess what? It is not us Jeepers who created this mythical image of a Marlboro Man Jeeper. It is the media.

Today I bought BSM magazine to read about our Extreme Offroaders. After reading that article, I also looked up the Thar Review and another article on driving Gypsy & MM540 on Goa Beach. Every article harped on the macho image of Jeepers. And I have rarely met such posers in regular OTR circuits.

The Thar review in BSM had me stunned. They have managed to say nothing bad about the Thar in the entire review. One is left wondering... has M&M finally created the perfect vehicle? They say interior is spartan, but for a reason, it is easy to clean than leather. But the AC/HT part really got my goat. To quote "Mahindra wouldn't go all namb-pamby on you and shelter you from the sun with an air-conditioning unit. That would be sacrilege." So it is a feature, not the lack of it.

Now, most Jeepers/Gypsyers I know are not posers, there are exceptions of course. While we all enjoy open Jeeps inside the offroad trail, most of us would prefer AC during the long drive to the OTR trail. This month I will be making another 800+ kms long highway drive (two-way) in my door-less CJ340 to attend the Bangalore annual OTR. While I am eating dust and breathing hot air along the way, macho image will be the last thing on my mind. I'll be the namby-pamby any day, and take that AC/HT, if it ever comes.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 23:46   #479
BHPian
 
rajamuneeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: srinagar
Posts: 240
Thanked: 79 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle888 View Post
Hi

Your Hyperlink just needed the 1st http:// removed

Wow that is a nice soft top

I am sure Mahindra have something as good

Does anyone have a pic or two

of the latest soft-top developed for the THAR?

Jeep - 2010 Jeep Wrangler - Exterior - Tops
Hi! kindly check the hard top option also when we click on the link. Can that kind of hardtop be a possibility for Thar and what would it cost. Can M&M seriously think on these lines
rajamuneeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 23:57   #480
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,582
Thanked: 7,059 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVEN-TWEEL View Post
the bf goodrich 245 r16, which was shown in the before post would be bigger in diameter right.? is it fine with no touching absolutely.. or is the vehicle raised ? can anyone reply me regarding this..
Looks like stock and i remember BD and Spike mentioning that stock Thar can take an upsize or two without any issues at Avalaconda. Normal road cars also takes upsizes (+2) without issues, so such minor changes should not affect Thar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somubj View Post
I have almost planned to buy Thar, only question that is concerning me is "if Mahindra comes up with a V2 soon enough, or just some corrections with the dash, will they provide a free upgrade to the initial buyers?".
1) Chances of V2 in next 6 months is very less.

2) No i dont think ANY Indian car manufacturer ever offered anything like that till date. Unless its a mechanical bit which would have adverse effect due to failure
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review manson Official New Car Reviews 7759 9th July 2017 12:47


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:36.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks