Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2011, 19:35   #826
Senior - BHPian
 
SPIKE ARRESTOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deutschland
Posts: 2,650
Thanked: 675 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
i was bit surprised, when i was honestly spotting for thar just like any other vehicle, vinod was in doubt and sent down spike to check it out and report him i agree vinod wanted to try in different way to test if the thar can do it in a style. nope it did not :(
Star, we never had any doubts of your honesty man, leave Vinod (as he was driving) even I who was standing outside had doubts on the correct approach line. This happened in another place where Viji was spotting, he told me "Spikey it will come man, just leave it to Vinod", and she came out.

Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 2nd February 2011 at 19:37.
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2011, 19:43   #827
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,912
Thanked: 4,611 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

My reasoning for wheel spin:

The thar doesn't get any power worth talking about till 1800rpm when there is a huge thrust. Thus the torque delivery is not linear causing wheel spin in stock Tyres.

Or you need to control power delivery by riding the clutch which is not good.

If someone dynos the thar, we'll know.

Plz correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 2nd February 2011 at 20:00. Reason: added more info
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2011, 23:32   #828
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 919 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

I seriously have a doubt if Mahindra is interested in sticking to commitments regarding the Thar. The kind of stories i have recieved from their sales dept is ridiculous. The first one was you cant get a booking refrence nomber as Mahindra has not opened some log. So booking is sent via email, on asking for a copy i was not given one. I was promised the car on the 25th of january but nothing there. On calling the sales guy 10 time, he returns the call once and says he has no idea about when the car would come. I sternly asked him to cancel the booking if i do not recieve the car by the 30th of January. I get a call on the 29th saying the car would be in their Service center by evening and after PDI and AC fitment would get the car on the 2nd. I am also asked to make the payment and have the paper work signed, so as to have the car go for registration. The very next day the cheque of the full amount was given and papers signed. I called up the person on the 1st saying i wanted to know the serial no going on for registration so as to choose a nomber for the car. The sales person informed he has not yet recieved it and as soon as he does he will inform me. Numerous calls after this were unattended and messages on the sales persons mobile bore no replies. Finally today i called the person again to ask about the car, the same treatment was metted out, finally i called the showroom and the sales person had no choice but to come on the phone. He mentioned that the car registration would take 7 working days as some TC certificate has not been issued by the RTO to Mahindra in order to register the Thar in Bombay. I asked to speak to his senior and this fellow was one level up in the chain, not only in seniority but in excuses too. He went on to mention that they had on their own risk paid the octroi as per company registration to bring the car into the city limits. I curtly replied octroi is standard and not per company or individual registration for an unregistered car. I seriously think the person thought i was illitrate in this feild and he could churn out a yarn and i would buy it. I told the person, i would have no choice but to cancel the car as i have had enough of this nonsense over a jeep. I also asked him to give me a clear date and the guy was blank, the only thing he could muster up was it would take around 7 working day. The most hillarious part is the person telling me my car is the First in Maharashtra, i could not help but laugh at his face. I told him this made no difference to me and even if it was the 100th car in Maharashtra, i still want my car. I had booked the car one day after the Launch, i f i remember right the date was the 5th of January.

It just seems as Mahindra is not interested in selling their cars in Maharashtra even though they are made Three hours away from Bombay. It just makes me feel as though once the full amount is in their pocket they think they can dictate terms with the customer. I seriously regret my decision of buy the Thar. I just can imagine what the A.S.S. would be like if the Purchase of a 7.88 lakh jeep is this way. I am really put off with dates changing on their wims, the customer has to chase the person to get information and no one bothers to return calls and are busy spinning storis. I am definatly not going to recomend the Thar to anyone and nor am i ever going to buy another Mahindra product from a showroom. I'd do it the porsche way, buy it second hand and be happy.

Last edited by speedy : 2nd February 2011 at 23:39.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 00:29   #829
Senior - BHPian
 
vinod_nookala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,737
Thanked: 409 Times
Default

Speedy,
Regret to hear your story. You have a PM from me. WIll try to help you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
My reasoning for wheel spin:

The thar doesn't get any power worth talking about till 1800rpm when there is a huge thrust. Thus the torque delivery is not linear causing wheel spin in stock Tyres.

Or you need to control power delivery by riding the clutch which is not good.

If someone dynos the thar, we'll know.

Plz correct me if I'm wrong.
Tejas i was surprised , in your review where you mentioned that THAR doesnot have crawl ability. i Checked again, infact it does better even one is in wrong gear selection. No where i had to slip the clutch excessively/or more than i would have done on my Jeep.

1st gear/ second gear low ratio has enough lugging power never did engine die or i restarted engine!

In fact i have demonstrated anti stall capability of the engine to few people and they were impressed, Dwarak included. I think i even showed it to Khan. CRDe engine refused to die on steepest of inclines and kept lugging even in third gear low! The engine adjusts the rpm automatically just as much as it is required. Here one gear here n there doesnt matter, the motor pulls in.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 5th February 2011 at 23:42. Reason: Please use the EDIT function instead of posting back-to-back posts within 20 minutes. Thanks.
vinod_nookala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 00:57   #830
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Mpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,428
Thanked: 1,674 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Well, it's back to work! You know what "that" means, don't you! .
Hmm..no. But we sure hope it means AC & Hard Top design for Thar.

Last edited by Mpower : 3rd February 2011 at 00:59.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 01:04   #831
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 919 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Speedy,
Regret to hear your story. You have a PM from me. WIll try to help you.
I am not into story telling like the people at NDS mumbai,this is the fact. Thank you for the help. The car is at their Sevari service center from the 29th of January. I guess you have less than 24 hours to help, cause all i am waiting for is the senior sales persons call tom morning for me to take a call.
The mind is pretty much made up, either i cancel out or speak to Mr.Anand.Mahindra regarding this lapse. I am sure he needs to be made aware of the going ons. launch a car no booking window open on the site or net. The customer is not provided with a booking refrence no and on asking for a copy of the email sent to book, no response. No tc certificate issued by the RTO to Mahindra and Mahindra, so a car cannot be registered and unregistered cars have to pay octroi depending on company and individual registrations. I really dont have words to say but just this.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 01:12   #832
Senior - BHPian
 
vinod_nookala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,737
Thanked: 409 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
its good for any kinda terrain until unless its dry. i have done almost all BLR otrs with almost worn out HT tires.

i was bit surprised, when i was honestly spotting for thar just like any other vehicle, vinod was in doubt and sent down spike to check it out and report him i agree vinod wanted to try in different way to test if the thar can do it in a style. nope it did not :(

my conclusion is thar can do everything BUT not easily AND not without spotter AND not without a good driver.
Hey Star,
Even I have great respect for BS- HT tyres. They won me Palar twice and now didnt let me down on this trail as well!

I had full trust on the spotter. Remember i shouted, i want to try a different line? Later when i took established line i came back and told you- Thanks man its all about spotting it right!!..hope you remember!!
vinod_nookala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 09:08   #833
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,912
Thanked: 4,611 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Tejas i was surprised , in your review where you mentioned that THAR doesnot have crawl ability. i Checked again, infact it does better even one is in wrong gear selection. No where i had to slip the clutch excessively/or more than i would have done on my Jeep.

1st gear/ second gear low ratio has enough lugging power never did engine die or i restarted engine!

In fact i have demonstrated anti stall capability of the engine to few people and they were impressed, Dwarak included. I think i even showed it to Khan. CRDe engine refused to die on steepest of inclines and kept lugging even in third gear low! The engine adjusts the rpm automatically just as much as it is required. Here one gear here n there doesnt matter, the motor pulls in.
Dear Vinod,

The problem is not engine stalling on slopes. In our old jeeps when we need to negotiate boulders, we put it in first low and can crawl over without abc extremely slowly.

In the thar we felt that she crawled very fast in these situations. To slow down the crawl speed, if one tapped the brakes, she stalled.
Sometimes she could not climb certain boulders and we needed to raise the rpm above 1800 which gave us a lot of power and the use of clutch was required to slow her down.

Next time you see a big enough rock, please try this:

- First, no ABC to get to the top of the boulder. (won't happen IMO)
- Then press the accelerator slightly and try to control thrust without clutch (difficult). This is why we made the statement: One needs to relearn their offroading techniques (especially for old school jeepers). Newbies will have it easier IMO.
- While crawling mid way on the boulder towards the crest, try to control speed by tapping brakes (no clutch). She will start shuddering and will try to fight back by increasing rpm and car becomes faster (read unmanageable) or she will stall.
Please do these three things when you get the car next time and get back to us with your unbiased non company opinion.

By "unmanageable" i mean the minutest of control that's required to negotiate a boulder strewn area where you scale a boulder from one side but on reaching the crest, you may have to turn the steering to exit from another side for example.

Yes, i agree that she effortlessly climbs slopes even with stock tyres where traction is not too much of a problem. Problems are for rock crawling and faster descent rate.

Can you guys please put up the torque delivery charts. At what rpm does the torque curve start moving linear and when does it max? I'm sure you must have it.

I'm also waiting for someone to answer why the squeak was happening. If not one from either three of you have bothered to find out why, it's shocking since you guys are petrol/dieselheads and if you are not bothered one can't expect anyone else from the company to bother! Please please let us know.


EDIT:

I had asked another query to BD a long time ago. Is it possible to go to 4.88 or 5.38 in the Thar? Especially if one has fit bigger tyres, the car will still go faster in crawl. He said no, max to 4.5. Why not higher? Why are these queries not being answered ''scientifically" with a reason?

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 3rd February 2011 at 09:13. Reason: see edit
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 10:54   #834
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 919 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

The last conversation with the Mahindra sales team was at 5.30pm yesterday the 2nd of Febuary, where i was informed that the Thar could not be registered till the RTO provides Mahindra with a TC certificate. I had asked the sales person to check again or else cancel the car. My Father spoke to the top management at 9.am and at 10.15am the sales person calls up saying the top bosses have asked to get the car registered, so the papers have gone to the RTO and hopfully by this evening or tom i get the car.

In India i guess everyone is used to have the TOP bosses look into matters and after their involment only do the lower downs work. If i had to do the same thing at Audi, this is but only a Mahindra. I should not have expected better.

Last edited by speedy : 3rd February 2011 at 11:23.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 11:29   #835
Senior - BHPian
 
SPIKE ARRESTOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deutschland
Posts: 2,650
Thanked: 675 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
I had asked another query to BD a long time ago. Is it possible to go to 4.88 or 5.38 in the Thar? Especially if one has fit bigger tyres, the car will still go faster in crawl. He said no, max to 4.5. Why not higher? Why are these queries not being answered ''scientifically" with a reason?
Doc, maximum recommended was 4.55 because this ratio is available off the shelf for front axles having IFS configuration. 4.9 used in Petrol 4wd Scorpios (REV116) is no longer in use. You can use 5.38 which will make the axles less reliable (5.38 hypoid gear set becomes the weak link in the system) hence not recommended. There is a solid scientific reasoning behind this which I refrain to comment over here due to various reasons.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 15:10   #836
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 124
Thanked: 16 Times
Angry Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
I seriously have a doubt if Mahindra is interested in sticking to commitments regarding the Thar. The kind of stories i have recieved from their sales dept is ridiculous. The first one was you cant get a booking refrence nomber as Mahindra has not opened some log. So booking is sent via email, on asking for a copy i was not given one. I was promised the car on the 25th of january but nothing there. On calling the sales guy 10 time, he returns the call once and says he has no idea about when the car would come. I sternly asked him to cancel the booking if i do not recieve the car by the 30th of January. I get a call on the 29th saying the car would be in their Service center by evening and after PDI and AC fitment would get the car on the 2nd. I am also asked to make the payment and have the paper work signed, so as to have the car go for registration. The very next day the cheque of the full amount was given and papers signed. I called up the person on the 1st saying i wanted to know the serial no going on for registration so as to choose a nomber for the car. The sales person informed he has not yet recieved it and as soon as he does he will inform me. Numerous calls after this were unattended and messages on the sales persons mobile bore no replies. Finally today i called the person again to ask about the car, the same treatment was metted out, finally i called the showroom and the sales person had no choice but to come on the phone. He mentioned that the car registration would take 7 working days as some TC certificate has not been issued by the RTO to Mahindra in order to register the Thar in Bombay. I asked to speak to his senior and this fellow was one level up in the chain, not only in seniority but in excuses too. He went on to mention that they had on their own risk paid the octroi as per company registration to bring the car into the city limits. I curtly replied octroi is standard and not per company or individual registration for an unregistered car. I seriously think the person thought i was illitrate in this feild and he could churn out a yarn and i would buy it. I told the person, i would have no choice but to cancel the car as i have had enough of this nonsense over a jeep. I also asked him to give me a clear date and the guy was blank, the only thing he could muster up was it would take around 7 working day. The most hillarious part is the person telling me my car is the First in Maharashtra, i could not help but laugh at his face. I told him this made no difference to me and even if it was the 100th car in Maharashtra, i still want my car. I had booked the car one day after the Launch, i f i remember right the date was the 5th of January.

It just seems as Mahindra is not interested in selling their cars in Maharashtra even though they are made Three hours away from Bombay. It just makes me feel as though once the full amount is in their pocket they think they can dictate terms with the customer. I seriously regret my decision of buy the Thar. I just can imagine what the A.S.S. would be like if the Purchase of a 7.88 lakh jeep is this way. I am really put off with dates changing on their wims, the customer has to chase the person to get information and no one bothers to return calls and are busy spinning storis. I am definatly not going to recomend the Thar to anyone and nor am i ever going to buy another Mahindra product from a showroom. I'd do it the porsche way, buy it second hand and be happy.
Well I booked mine on the 1st Of Jan, at that time the sales rep was peppy and full of enthu about how I would soon be enjoying it. Came the 15th he starts saying take yer time over the bank loan...no need to get tense. Then at the end of the month, he says another ten days. Now he has in North Indian parlance ,"Haath khade kar deye." He straight away says that he has no idea. He says that the Mahindra guy also isn't able to give a clear deadline. Now, my gold dust edition, diamond studded Bolero is gone. It got a buyer within a week of my deciding to sell it. Course I had to tolerate the usual dealer/dalaals who try to abuse your car just cause you won't agree to their ridiculous offer.

Now, I shall soon be travelling on public transport for getting excited over smooth talk. Way to go M&M, you never fail to blow us away . All I am left with is to call up the people that I know. I feel like such a fool should have listened to the sages here who said wait for stage 2.

Regards,

Chaunfa
chaunfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 22:41   #837
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 3,387
Thanked: 1,842 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Even i would have preferred a solid axle upfront on THAR CRDe, but with existing engine it wasnt possible. Even i didnt believe it till i saw the CAD layout till i joined the company.
Hi,
What exactly fouls with what? Is the crank centerline (wrt rest of vehicle) different for the MDi and the CRDE?

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 11:50   #838
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 919 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaunfa View Post
Well I booked mine on the 1st Of Jan, at that time the sales rep was peppy and full of enthu about how I would soon be enjoying it. Came the 15th he starts saying take yer time over the bank loan...no need to get tense. Then at the end of the month, he says another ten days. Now he has in North Indian parlance ,"Haath khade kar deye." He straight away says that he has no idea. He says that the Mahindra guy also isn't able to give a clear deadline.
This is what i think Mahindra and their dealers do in regards to the Thar, cant say much about their other models as i have never dealt with Mahindra before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaunfa View Post
Now, I shall soon be travelling on public transport for getting excited over smooth talk. Way to go M&M, you never fail to blow us away . All I am left with is to call up the people that I know. I feel like such a fool should have listened to the sages here who said wait for stage 2.
Please do write to the company and mark a copy to Mr.A.Mahindra. himself. He should know that people spending their hard earned money on their products are not illitrates or would take their nonsense.


I was to get my car today but that was too good to be true. Mr.Vinod did ask the Area Sales Manager Mumbai to talk to me. This person was the bearer of more bad news. Suddenly he says since my car is the First in Maharashtra it is having issues in Registration and i would get my car only after 4 days. I told him the papers were with the RTO from two days (another story here regarding their appointed agent) and i can wait till tom evening to get my car. The result is i would CANCEL the car. I have waited long enough and listened to countless stories by the sales dept and am fed up. My father had already told me to cancel the car on the last delay and asked me to buy a SWB PRADO for offroading with and stop wasting my time on a j(unk)eep.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 14:48   #839
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 919 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Just got off the phone with the ASM Mumbai and the date has been further pushed ahead. Irritated and Annoyed with their behaviour and lack of taking responsibility and just blaming each other on grounds of miscommunication. I have Cancelled my Purchase. The sales person thought i would get an ego boost by telling me my car would be the First one in Maharashtra and this would make me change my mind. What a joke really.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 15:31   #840
AWD
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Drivers seat
Posts: 804
Thanked: 217 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
I have Cancelled my Purchase.
Congrats from the core of my heart. I too wrote off buying Thar after coming across the in-different attitude of the dealer. As if it was a great vehicle to begin, coupled with absolutely no info. from the dealer, leave alone test ride, I haven't still sighted the vehicle.

All the waiting & patience since couple of years ended with a crappy vehicle at an extremely high price coupled with pathetic dealer dealing.

Good riddance at the end, hope I had counted off some time early & saved myself of the agony.
AWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review manson Official New Car Reviews 7756 28th April 2017 17:02


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:55.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks