Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2011, 13:18   #1006
Team-BHP Support
 
bblost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,615
Thanked: 6,417 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Mahindra Thar in India, Mahindra Thar test drive, Mahindra Thar price in India
Quote:
But then lap times of 0-100 kmph done in 17.77 seconds is good by any chance for a jeep.

Mahindra Thar in India, Mahindra Thar test drive, Mahindra Thar price in India
Quote:
In terms of flat-out performance, the Thar takes 17.05sec to reach the 100kph mark and thanks to the torquey nature of the engine, in-gear times are impressive too.
Mahindra Thar : Roadtest Page - 2 Zigwheels
Quote:
The Thar will hit 100 km/h from a standstill in 17.58 seconds
And if I remember correctly the Storm does 0-100 in about 19 seconds.

Last edited by bblost : 23rd February 2011 at 13:21.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2011, 14:17   #1007
Senior - BHPian
 
SPIKE ARRESTOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deutschland
Posts: 2,660
Thanked: 717 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Again, There is something wrong about these figures for sure. And again, Dad or spike would be the BEST person to comment.
Cyrus, I am not telling anything about the production ones, but there are a few here which are VERY FAST. One of them easily does 0-100 in sub 15 seconds (you know what I am talking about). The m-Hawk variant would be even fun to work with!

Spike

PS- It is "preferred" to do acceleration tests on a properly run in vehicle, 521 is one among them.

Last edited by Jaggu : 23rd February 2011 at 15:41. Reason: Guys cut the chit chat and teasing, if you have info that can be shared, please share it in public. Thanks
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2011, 14:36   #1008
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 732
Thanked: 57 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

0-100
16.4 secs
this was recorded on a vbox
have to add.
was done on tarmac
xtreme power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2011, 14:43   #1009
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: London
Posts: 5,012
Thanked: 147 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Cyrus, I am not telling anything about the production ones, but there are a few here which are VERY FAST. One of them easily does 0-100 in sub 15 seconds (you know what I am talking about). The m-Hawk variant would be even fun to work with!

Spike

PS- It is "preferred" to do acceleration tests on a properly run in vehicle, 521 is one among them.
I think I do. PM me though. just to confirm what is in my head. Are you talking about a Storm or the Thar. If you are talking about the Storm then I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme power View Post
0-100
16.4 secs
this was recorded on a vbox
have to add.
was done on tarmac
Thanks allan!! I rest my case!

Last edited by Jaggu : 23rd February 2011 at 15:41. Reason: Guys cut the chit chat and teasing, if you have info that can be shared, please share it in public. Thanks
Cyrus43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2011, 15:11   #1010
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 194
Thanked: 59 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Hi,

My neighbor has bought a Thar CRDe, Silver with BFG tyres and awesome looking alloys before me. What surprises me is that he is such a luxury car freak and would never imagine himself in a Non AC car.

He was one who told me once, (when I drove up to him and said if he wanted me to give him a ride) that I am so used to luxury that I can't imagine sitting in a Santro (I own a Santro).

I am so startled at his buy (coz of his superior luxurious attitude) and he has already received the vehicle.

The Thar looks awesome and all of us are so glued looking at it (neighbors envy, owners pride)
I'm sure going to get one in the next 4 to 6 months.

Yikes!

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 23rd February 2011 at 18:48. Reason: cutting down smileys number
yikes6633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2011, 15:45   #1011
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,651
Thanked: 7,205 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review



Quote:
Originally Posted by yikes6633 View Post
He was one who told me once, (when I drove up to him and said if he wanted me to give him a ride) that I am so used to luxury that I can't imagine sitting in a Santro (I own a Santro).
============
Yikes!
No offence to your neighbor, but the target audience of Thar is predominantly such people and not 4x4 guys.

Good thing is they can afford such "life style" vehicles, even better is that they would soon throw it out at dirt cheap price. As a helpful neighbor you should really guide him to take the pain off his hands and to luxury
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2011, 16:26   #1012
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 3,059
Thanked: 4,625 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
No offence to your neighbor, but the target audience of Thar is predominantly such people and not 4x4 guys. Good thing is they can afford such "life style" vehicles, even better is that they would soon throw it out at dirt cheap price. As a helpful neighbor you should really guide him to take the pain off his hands and to luxury
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme power View Post
0-100 16.4 secs this was recorded on a vbox have to add. was done on tarmac
Dear Jaggu - fantastic idea, I can well imagine. I'll also stand in line, before you. .

Dear Alan - was this done with Maxxis Bighorns? If yes, then it may be OK but otherwise your timing is slightly on the higher side. There are many factors which affect this result.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2011, 16:39   #1013
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,245
Thanked: 13,998 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Numerous Thar CDRe and Thar DI (2WD) have been sighted on NH-17 in Udupi while they were racing towards Kerala. This has been happening on a daily basis. This means the running-in is done by the transportation drivers.

Last edited by Samurai : 23rd February 2011 at 16:45.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2011, 16:55   #1014
BHPian
 
sreejeshmp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 623
Thanked: 571 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Jaggu ,

Why you think a 4x4 Guy should have an old jeep ?
I couldn't find any 4x4 custom made machines in this forum which are made for extreme off roading. All the machines are just mix and match and keep going to workshops or simply moving to the next part for another Trial and error is this what you mean by a 4x4 guy should do ?

Each one has his own limitations and style of driving and owning different models but that doesn't mean that he is not a 4x4 guy.

Thar is a great vehicle it can do everything that a jeep can do or even more and it has.
(I drove the Thar on the road and off the road.)

This month Autocar has a nice feature about Bullet 500 and Mahindra Thar its nice to read .
- Sreejesh
sreejeshmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2011, 17:14   #1015
Senior - BHPian
 
SPIKE ARRESTOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deutschland
Posts: 2,660
Thanked: 717 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Numerous Thar CDRe and Thar DI (2WD) have been sighted on NH-17 in Udupi while they were racing towards Kerala. This has been happening on a daily basis. This means the running-in is done by the transportation drivers.
Sam, Thar DI's are driven, CRDe's are taken in containers, they (CRDe's) may be driven a few kilometers to dealerships. If it is not the case, let us know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejeshmp View Post
Jaggu ,
All the machines are just mix and match and keep going to workshops or simply moving to the next part for another Trial and error is this what you mean by a 4x4 guy should do ?
Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2011, 17:20   #1016
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,245
Thanked: 13,998 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Sam, Thar DI's are driven, CRDe's are taken in containers, they (CRDe's) may be driven a few kilometers to dealerships. If it is not the case, let us know.
Nope, even CRDe is being driven to Kerala on NH-17, these are no local deliveries, we would know, this is a small town. Color (Maroon/Grey) is a dead giveaway and it did have IFS and foot boards. The sighting was done by Sachin whose workplace is along NH-17. There is no chance he will mistake Thar CDRe for something else.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2011, 17:33   #1017
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 3,059
Thanked: 4,625 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikes6633 View Post
Hi,

My neighbor has bought a Thar CRDe, Silver with BFG tyres and awesome looking alloys before me. What surprises me is that he is such a luxury car freak and would never imagine himself in a Non AC car.

He was one who told me once, (when I drove up to him and said if he wanted me to give him a ride) that I am so used to luxury that I can't imagine sitting in a Santro (I own a Santro).

I am so startled at his buy (coz of his superior luxurious attitude) and he has already received the vehicle.

The Thar looks awesome and all of us are so glued looking at it (neighbors envy, owners pride)

I'm sure going to get one in the next 4 to 6 months.

Yikes!
Dear Yikes - when I read your post, at first I thought "Yikes! .

But then I remembered that when we had shown the vehicle to DKG and Fazalbhai, DKG had commented that with correct inputs, this vehicle will attract A+ and B segment passenger car buyers (read the first post of the "Thar She Blows" thread). Viper (Jiggy) had also made a similar comment after he saw the performance of the Thar as it just took off and ran away from his imported and race modified Honda Civic on the meandering stretch of the Mumbai Goa highway between Panvel and Wadkhal Naka when we were on our way to Alibag for an OTR. V16 (Gogibhai) was with me in the car at that time. You must read those comments also.

I am exactly getting the inputs from the field that I want. Thank you very much. .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2011, 17:42   #1018
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,916
Thanked: 15,584 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Yikes - when I read your post, at first I thought "Yikes! .

But then I remembered that when we had shown the vehicle to DKG and Fazalbhai, DKG had commented that with correct inputs, this vehicle will attract A+ and B segment passenger car buyers (read the first post of the "Thar She Blows" thread). Viper (Jiggy) had also made a similar comment after he saw the performance of the Thar as it just took off and ran away from his imported and race modified Honda Civic on the meandering stretch of the Mumbai Goa highway between Panvel and Wadkhal Naka when we were on our way to Alibag for an OTR. V16 (Gogibhai) was with me in the car at that time. You must read those comments also.

I am exactly getting the inputs from the field that I want. Thank you very much. .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
I would have bought the Thar if I had been living in a cooler and safer place. In Delhi people can steal your pants if you are not looking, even if you are wearing them. So a soft top is an open invitation.
Moreover, the summers here make cooking gas irrelevant, and I do not want to be kabab, again point against soft top.
Some day when a HT Jeep with AC comes out, I may come knocking on Mahindra's doors. I really do not care about IFS or solid axle etc., as long as I do not have to get center pins replaced and greased after every trip, and keep going to the A.S.S. with same complaints of khat and what not from front suspension.
With all 4x4s going above 10L, I am out of options for the Safari replacement once she goes into 6 figure territory. Hopefully, I won't have to give up the 4x4 tourer dream.
Till then, no Thar for me.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2011, 18:39   #1019
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 194
Thanked: 59 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Yikes - when I read your post, at first I thought "Yikes! .

But then I remembered that when we had shown the vehicle to DKG and Fazalbhai, DKG had commented that with correct inputs, this vehicle will attract A+ and B segment passenger car buyers (read the first post of the "Thar She Blows" thread). Viper (Jiggy) had also made a similar comment after he saw the performance of the Thar as it just took off and ran away from his imported and race modified Honda Civic on the meandering stretch of the Mumbai Goa highway between Panvel and Wadkhal Naka when we were on our way to Alibag for an OTR. V16 (Gogibhai) was with me in the car at that time. You must read those comments also.

I am exactly getting the inputs from the field that I want. Thank you very much. .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Dear Behram Sir,

When I heard of the Thar was really excited to be amongst the first to buy it.

Over the past few months, reading various posts and bashing threads, I was confused and wavering in my thoughts, if I should buy a Thar or just go for the tried and tested Gypsy or just wait.

However, putting things behind and reopening the ears of my mind and heart, i believe the Thar is good allrounder and serves the purpose on and off road.

I understand the logic that has gone into it and also would own one in about 4 to 6 months. I only wish in that time some of the flaws hi-lighted in the quality of interiors are taken care of

Thanks for giving us this wonderful Jeep.

Yikes!
yikes6633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2011, 18:52   #1020
BHPian
 
sreejeshmp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 623
Thanked: 571 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Sam, Thar DI's are driven, CRDe's are taken in containers, they (CRDe's) may be driven a few kilometers to dealerships. If it is not the case, let us know.


I have seen two CRDe thar's at Clicut showroom and they have done 1300+ km and the showroom guys disconnected the speedometer cable before giving test drive.

Last edited by Stratos : 24th February 2011 at 10:35.
sreejeshmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review manson Official New Car Reviews 7764 9th October 2017 16:30


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:07.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks