Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 1st March 2011, 13:49   #1621
BHPian

Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Its WAR time folks! As I'd predicted in my review, the Vento has taken the fight right to the ANHC. Feb sales : 3,500 for the VW versus 3,600 for the Honda. Say hello to the new C segment king....after a period of 10 years. As the production bottleneck eases up, the Vento will overtake the city. It's inevitable, thanks in no small part to the outstanding diesel engine.
I guess these figures should answer all the doubts and all the conversations happening on this thread about ANHC and Vento.

My 2 cents, ANHC is a good car, but again it has its share of problems and irritating things as well, also I find it slightly overpriced. But after 10 years some car manufacturer had the guts to challenge the monopoly.

The build quality of Vento as pointed out here might not be upto the mark, but that doesnt place VW in a bad category of car manufacturers, that way there are a lot of car manufacturers out there who are doing cost cutting here and there, well again I guess we have to look at the scenario of what is really a deal breaking thing.

If you ask me, I am particularly very choosy towards the interiors of the car, and vento excels in that segment. Obviously with an amazing Diesel heart under the hood!
evilshantanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 14:37   #1622
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its WAR time folks! As I'd predicted in my review, the Vento has taken the fight right to the ANHC. Feb sales : 3,500 for the VW versus 3,600 for the Honda. Say hello to the new C segment king....after a period of 10 years. As the production bottleneck eases up, the Vento will overtake the city. It's inevitable, thanks in no small part to the outstanding diesel engine.
If I ever see VW vento climbing Honda city's sales figures (which I doubt), then it would be only because of the diesel option available in vento which is its biggest positive point. Long term ownership experience and after sales service support are two prime factors which also decides success of a car.
I hope Honda will introduce diesel engines in future in our country.
This is my last post in this thread.
bluevolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 14:53   #1623
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
If I ever see VW vento climbing Honda city's sales figures (which I doubt), then it would be only because of the diesel option available in vento which is its biggest positive point. Long term ownership experience and after sales service support are two prime factors which also decides success of a car.
I hope Honda will introduce diesel engines in future in our country.
This is my last post in this thread.
Please don't go! Us diehard Vento-lovers seem to be driving everybody else away from this thread . Nobody is denying the ANHC is a nice car, am sure most of us had it on our consideration set before settling for (or against) the Vento.

The number of 3500 is a little shocking because VW is still struggling with bookings at least for the diesel highline. Safe to say it will stabilise around 4500 and then the fight with Honda will be a treat to watch. Competition is good.
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 19:10   #1624
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
If I ever see VW vento climbing Honda city's sales figures (which I doubt), then it would be only because of the diesel option available in vento which is its biggest positive point.
The diesel is undoubtedly a significant contributor to the Vento's success. In fact, with nearly all European cars, the diesel is more impressive. It's what European car manufacturers do best. The Vento has some other factors working in its favour too; nice interiors, balanced ride & handling and great pricing.

One of the main reasons VW caught up with Honda is the City's lack of diesel option. Still, a commendable feat as others (Fiesta, Verna, Linea etc.) have also had a diesel under the hood, but didn't come close. The VW nameplate is as premium, if not more, to Indians as Honda is.

Quote:
Long term ownership experience and after sales service support are two prime factors which also decides success of a car.
100% agreed! To someone who wants absolute "peace of the mind", my vote will be for the City. You can't argue with Japanese reliability (especially versus a European) and 14 years of goodwill in the market.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 21:57   #1625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
I would vote for the lip spoiler that they generally provide.
Reason: Vento already has some classy understated look, so this spoiler would look good.

Not seen any vento with the Laura, Octy type of spoilers
Even I haven't seen them on a Vento yet. But I love them on Octy and Laura . Btw, I hate the way fix the lip spoiler. They just stick it. Will come off some day!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
None.

Spoilers spoil the looks of a car, especially one with clean lines typical of this kind of VW design.

Just my opinion: it is your right to make your car look the way you want it!
May be you are right. I have never seen a Jetta with a spoiler. For Laura, its so common..

Quote:
Thats really some thing, esp with the delivery delays. Once (Or if) they address it, Honda and others will find it tough..

My registration was supposed to happen today. Got delayed because of a silly CLC issue. Tomorrow is off for RTO. Delay is the norm for me now. Another bad news is severe shortage of tires. Yoko S drive is just not available anywhere in Blore
motorhead5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 23:18   #1626
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have always believed that ANHC was overpriced .. my belief was confirmed when immediately post the stellar opening figures of Vento , ANHC started (standard) discounts of Rs 30,000 ! Vento at last gives us an option to have a similar ( or better IMHO , H=Honest ) driving experience without having to fork out the extra.
souravc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2011, 12:24   #1627
BHPian

Getting delivery of my car on Saturday, delay due to RTO being shut today! :( Decided against the Witson HU since I will mostly be chauffeur driven, so don't need the touchscreen, parking sensor, bluetooth integration etc. Just need a great audio USB/AUX HU and planning to fit high quality leather seat covers.

Need some references on trusted car accessory outfits in Mumbai. Can anyone help, I've dealt with either lousy quality guys or real expensive guys so far!

Last edited by Svis : 2nd March 2011 at 12:28.
Svis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2011, 13:00   #1628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svis View Post
Need some references on trusted car accessory outfits in Mumbai. Can anyone help, I've dealt with either lousy quality guys or real expensive guys so far!
Just a suggestion, why don't you stick with your dealer for the accessories. I hear that they have some pretty high quality stuff. IMO go for the parking sensors they are really helpful, be it a chauffer or you rear ending the car is pretty common because of the tight parking spaces, it is a worthy investment.

Before i forget, Congrats on the buy!
Zappex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2011, 13:59   #1629
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappex View Post
Just a suggestion, why don't you stick with your dealer for the accessories. I hear that they have some pretty high quality stuff. IMO go for the parking sensors they are really helpful, be it a chauffer or you rear ending the car is pretty common because of the tight parking spaces, it is a worthy investment.

Before i forget, Congrats on the buy!
Thanks mate! The dealer is quoting 20k just for the HU and parking sensor. Never had a problem parking cars, hence don't need the habit of a sensor now! Also in seat cover colours, he only has chocolate brown, beige is out of stock :(

FYI guys - no hike in excise duty on cars above 1200 cc and hence don't foresee any jump in Vento prices. However news is that VW alongwith other car manufacturers may still hike prices due to continuing duties and rise in input costs.
Svis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2011, 15:04   #1630
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

The Vento actually deserves to match the City in numbers and more so with it's diesel. Honda just does not have a diesel engine that they can offer with the city and so will have to manage with the petrol. The city is a good car by itself, but for a petrol is priced about 1.25L too high for what it is.

So as VW ramps up production it should beat the city in numbers in the near future.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2011, 15:49   #1631
BHPian

I guess the delivery and waiting time has come down drastically now. One of my friends booked a Petrol HL Vento 3 weeks back, and he is getting the delivery next week

Somebody also confirmed on this thread that the Diesel HL waiting time committed right now is also some 2 months. I think the situation is improving
evilshantanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2011, 16:16   #1632
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
I guess the delivery and waiting time has come down drastically now. One of my friends booked a Petrol HL Vento 3 weeks back, and he is getting the delivery next week

Somebody also confirmed on this thread that the Diesel HL waiting time committed right now is also some 2 months. I think the situation is improving
Trendline waiting period has fallen dramatically , automatic is available off the shelf. Highline diesel still has a couple of months waiting period ..
When are you getting yours Shantanu ? I am hopeful of getting mine ( tdi highline) this week, registration is on - my wait was for a little over 5 months .. mostly due to dealer/VW problems, a bit due to my choosing to wait for 2011 car .. from the chassis number figured that I am getting a jan 2011 car
Old 2nd March 2011, 16:36   #1633
BHPian

Quote:
GTO You are right , Vento owes its success to Diesel engine, that too a good one. With prices of petrol are at point wherein petrol pump owners are seriously considering offering EMI schemes to customers, buying a Diesel car is a viable option.

with not much price difference between ANHC & Vento diesel even if you do not drive much buying a diesel makes sense for having sheer pleasure of having your car's tank full for Rs 1500 & forget for rest of the month
Urban Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2011, 16:56   #1634
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Trendline waiting period has fallen dramatically , automatic is available off the shelf. Highline diesel still has a couple of months waiting period ..
When are you getting yours Shantanu ? I am hopeful of getting mine ( tdi highline) this week, registration is on - my wait was for a little over 5 months .. mostly due to dealer/VW problems, a bit due to my choosing to wait for 2011 car .. from the chassis number figured that I am getting a jan 2011 car
Congrats souravc, but did you really have to wait this long? I got delivery of my AT on 22nd Jan- had assumed it would be a 2010 model and the dealer agreed with me, but when it did arrive the VIN number indicated that it was 5th Jan manufacture

AFAIK there was never much waiting for the trendline and of late petrols (both manual and automatic) are aailable off the shelf. It's the diesel HL that still has a waiting (5 months as per a couple of people who've checked). Anyway it's good news if the supply choke-up is clearing.
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2011, 20:47   #1635
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Congrats souravc, but did you really have to wait this long? I got delivery of my AT on 22nd Jan- had assumed it would be a 2010 model and the dealer agreed with me, but when it did arrive the VIN number indicated that it was 5th Jan manufacture

AFAIK there was never much waiting for the trendline and of late petrols (both manual and automatic) are aailable off the shelf. It's the diesel HL that still has a waiting (5 months as per a couple of people who've checked). Anyway it's good news if the supply choke-up is clearing.
I had booked my car on Sept 6, I had initially been given a car in the first week of december . As luck would have it, I had a fractured arm and was forbidden from driving - that, added to the factor that 2011 was round the corner alongwith the dealer's {false} word that I would get a car in Jan 2011 convinced me that its worth waiting till 2011 . I have gone through your threadback including the one about your driving the TJet
Enjoy your car !