Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 16th August 2010, 12:44   #166
BHPian

@GTO: yesterday, heard Siddharth from Car and Bike Show (NDTV) say on TV that VW is developing more powerful engines for this car and is likely to introduce these engines next year. Did you hear any such thing?
vipul_singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 13:06   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangaraj View Post

Quality : Vento > City > Verna > SX4 > Linea
Interior space : ANHC > Vento > SX4 = Verna > Linea
Petrol engine : ANHC > Vento > SX4 > Linea = Verna
Diesel engine : Vento > Verna > Linea
Ride & handling : Linea > Vento > ANHC > SX4 > Verna
VFM : SX4 > Linea > Vento > ANHC
aniketi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 13:22   #168
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
VFM, or value for money, which translates into what you get for what you pay.
What you get for the Rupees you spent on with each differs on what a person is looking for. If you are equating them purely to what you are paying, maybe the above is correct.
I think VFM is something each owner defines for themselves, will agree if those are only your thoughts
For me Linea falls at the bottom when it comes to VFM, Honda and Vento at the top.
mkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 13:33   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
VFM, or value for money, which translates into what you get for what you pay.
What you get for the Rupees you spent on with each differs on what a person is looking for. If you are equating them purely to what you are paying, maybe the above is correct.
I think VFM is something each owner defines for themselves, will agree if those are only your thoughts
For me Linea falls at the bottom when it comes to VFM, Honda and Vento at the top.
+1
Its the product that decides the VFM factor. See how the Figo is selling compared to the Punto. Nearly 6:1. And the City vs Linea nearly 4:1. As beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder, value for money also depends upon individual buyer. And all ultimately reflects on the sales charts. We all could shout from a pedestal, but in the end it the buyer that decides what's VFM in his eyes.
anilkalvani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 13:48   #170
BHPian

Great review GTO. Looks like the Vento is a well rounded C segment car. Though dead pedal, steering mounted audio controls will be missed, 2 things that would have prospective customers think twice - Number of service centres & quality of it and the reverse gear position
e-biz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 14:44   #171
Senior - BHPian

Good one GTO. I was wondering if the Vento petrol would be a better performer than the Fiesta 1.6, but I guess it's not. I was surprised to hear it runs out of breath at 6000 RPM. Was expecting it to rev until 7000.

The Fiesta has a slick short throw gearbox as well. Any comparisons between the Fiesta and the Vento gearbox?

If I were in the market for a C segment sedan now, the Vento Highline Petrol would be my first choice. Seems like a nice package.
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 14:45   #172
BHPian

Excellent review GTO !

Though you have already quoted the Ground Clearance figures in the table, it would be useful if you additionally mention this factor in the post on the positives and negatives of the chief competitors to Vento. IMHO, GC is a major factor for Indian roads.

About that cable dangling carelessly - was it that way in a particular car or is it normal for all Ventos ?

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 14:46   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

As usual fantastic review there GTO. Loved the pic of you taking the pic of the underbody

A five star rating on the thread.

VW atleast should have given steering controls and included the comfortline variant as well.
nkrishnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 14:47   #174
BHPian

Well i think the Vento is going to be the C segment killer. German products are perceived well in India and Euro cars always win over their Jap rivals in handling and comfort.
But i feel VW should have changed the nose/front, like the french Linea and Punto.
rxpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 16:54   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpaul View Post
Well i think the Vento is going to be the C segment killer. German products are perceived well in India and Euro cars always win over their Jap rivals in handling and comfort.
But i feel VW should have changed the nose/front, like the french Linea and Punto.
If you look at the new upcoming Jetta, it has the same design cues as vento. So, to keep the same nose design from Polo to vento looks like a deliberate thing, which is different from the approach Fiat has taken with Punto/Linea or Honda with Jazz/City.
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 16:59   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I disagree. Hyundai has a widespread reach in India, and has built an image of no-nonsense ownership. We have to understand that automotive choices are driven by brand reputation as much as the actual product.

As mentioned in my review, this is exactly where VW has to work hard. Real hard. A great ownership experience is imperative to the brand's Indian success.
GTO,

In that case, my Vento strategy is to wait for 3 months till i hear of market feedback! Maybe i will be further benefited by the release of the Comfortline model!

Cheers to a great review again. If all goes well, the Vento is mine in 3 months. Else i am surrendering myself to boring Dzire land.
acidkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 17:05   #177
BHPian

Thumbs up

Quote:
Other Points:

Service interval = 15,000 kms.

Expect a Polo-like maintenance package for 3 yrs / 45,000 kms. The Polo package costs about Rs. 19,000.
Quote:
The smaller yet significant things:

Great review GTO .

15,000 kms service interval is amazing (is Honda seeing this).

I think a service package of 5 years / 60,000 kms would be a better value proposition for the customer.

Do you think the 1.6 petrol can have problems (specially if tanked up in BS-III cities & highways ) due to the higher octane (95/91 RON) requirement?
neeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 17:13   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeld View Post
Great review GTO .

15,000 kms service interval is amazing (is Honda seeing this).

I think a service package of 5 years / 60,000 kms would be a better value proposition for the customer.

Do you think the 1.6 petrol can have problems (specially if tanked up in BS-III cities & highways ) due to the higher octane (95/91 RON) requirement?
Ya, Honda service interval is 3 months/5000 which is pathetic. So VW interval is 15,000/ 1 year or 6 months ?

@extreme torque,

3 months service is normal service with washing and check-up.
If it had run 5000 kms they will change the oil even though they use synthetic oil.

Last edited by shamanth : 16th August 2010 at 17:30.
shamanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 17:26   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
Ya, Honda service interval is 3 months/5000 which is pathetic. So VW interval is 15,000/ 1 year or 6 months ?
And do they change engine oil every 5000 kms or is it just a normal service?
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 17:28   #180
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
GTO - Would dumping the 1.4 D Toyota mil into Etios be any competition to Vento?
I doubt. The Etios is from a segment lower, atleast from what I saw at the Auto Expo. It feels like a cheap sedan, not a premium car as the Vento does. Plus, if the Altis itself can't, I doubt the Etios will match the VW on power, dynamics etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lijodavis View Post
Hope vw launches AMC packages too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neeld View Post
Fantastic suggestion! An AMC package from VW would be the icing on the Vento cake. How about a BMW'esque 5 year / 100,000 kms package?

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
One question, what's the backlit color for these models (Highline) for the stereo, climate control and speedometer?
Red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
You've contradicted yourself. Value and cost are two completely different things. I see the diesel Vento as the most VFM in the C segment. Best quality, most power, solid build, easy to drive in the city and 2nd best cabin space. Just like the City, it has the makings of an all-rounder (save for VW's service & cost of ownership which have to prove themselves).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Good one GTO. I was wondering if the Vento petrol would be a better performer than the Fiesta 1.6, but I guess it's not. I was surprised to hear it runs out of breath at 6000 RPM. Was expecting it to rev until 7000.
That Fiesta 1.6S is a special car . It remains the best driver's sedan in the market.

Quote:
The Fiesta has a slick short throw gearbox as well. Any comparisons between the Fiesta and the Vento gearbox?
No comparo. The Vento petrol is XXX times better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
About that cable dangling carelessly - was it that way in a particular car or is it normal for all Ventos ?
My guess is that its there in all cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
So VW interval is 15,000/ 1 year or 6 months ?
I believe its 15,000 kms / 1 year (just as the Polo).
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote