Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 20th May 2011, 14:36   #2131
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
The Vento *is* refined you just need to buy the right variant

On a serious note, do you think there is a problem? Oil levels low perhaps?
I have checked the oil levels, no problems as such. Have checked with other Ventos and its similar problem. After the warmup, its fine though still not sounding refined as others in its class.

One thing is that when in idle and stationary, if you depress the clutch the sound changes to a little louder tone. Wonder why?

Last edited by srishiva : 20th May 2011 at 14:38.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2011, 14:40   #2132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Today morning when I started my Vento (its was a little cooler with overnight rains), the engine was so rough and the idling made the car shake a bit.
It was terrible driving for about 2 kms with the engine noise even with audio on. Felt like driving a TATA truck. Why couldn't they make it a little refined?
Thats concerning , I own a Vento tdi and have never experienced anything like that . The Vento engine is pretty refined! I think you should visit the workshop at the earliest . Sometimes in a cold start , a diesel engine might sound rough but the roughness would certainly not carry on for 2 km . The cause maybe as simple as drying up of engine oil , suggest you get it checked
souravc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2011, 14:44   #2133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Thats concerning , I own a Vento tdi and have never experienced anything like that . The Vento engine is pretty refined! I think you should visit the workshop at the earliest . Sometimes in a cold start , a diesel engine might sound rough but the roughness would certainly not carry on for 2 km . The cause maybe as simple as drying up of engine oil , suggest you get it checked
Maybe 'refined' and 'rough' is relative. I am sure there is nothing wrong with the car. If you wind down the windows and drive in not so noisy environment you will hear the clatter.
Old 20th May 2011, 14:51   #2134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Maybe 'refined' and 'rough' is relative. I am sure there is nothing wrong with the car. If you wind down the windows and drive in not so noisy environment you will hear the clatter.
You are correct that the diesel clatter can be heard distinctly .. I park my Vento between a Verna CRDI (old) and a Cruze, thus have had the chance to compare - can't say that its worse off than either on the noise factor but definitely much noisier than a petrol engine (City, Swift , Vento petrol, etc). I am a convert from petrol to diesel so it took some time getting used to it
souravc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2011, 14:51   #2135
BHPian

Tanks GTO for your as always wonderful review.

I would not mind paying upwards of 50k extra for a diesel Vento mated with a DSG gearbox, I would buy the car in a jiffy. Hope you are listening VW.
xtremeshock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2011, 14:54   #2136
Team-BHP Support

@xtremeshock- the Vento (petrol) AT comes with a regular (torque convertor) 6-speed box and not DSG. Even if VW launches the diesel, they will probably mate it to the same box.
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2011, 15:47   #2137
BHPian

Quote:
Today morning when I started my Vento (its was a little cooler with overnight rains), the engine was so rough and the idling made the car shake a bit.
It was terrible driving for about 2 kms with the engine noise even with audio on. Felt like driving a TATA truck. Why couldn't they make it a little refined?

I also experienced the same shaking problem and then the engine noise being really shrill and loud, but then I havent witnessed it ever. I hope this doesnt continue.....
evilshantanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2011, 18:23   #2138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sith_lord View Post
@motorhead5, your estimate of 11.02L includes a corporate discount of 16K I suppose - it was actually 11.18L before the increase. Now it should be 11.25L IMO.
Yes, I included the corporate discount in this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinav.Daos View Post
If I were going to have to choose between Vento and Verna today as a buyer, I'd choose Verna. Even though I own a vento.
For Verna, its about their Service and maintenance benefits + brilliant feature lists. For Vento, its the handling and build quality and brilliant drive (Minimal lag). I would weigh handling and drive as my high priorities and hence will still go for Vento, if I were to decide now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdiesel View Post
I too like the engine growl, but dont you think the growling during the early morning hours is much higher? It reduces to a likeable level after an hour or so of driving. Try driving with open windows in the morning to test it once.
Even I like the engine sound. And it doesn't take an hour. may be 2 mins / 1 km.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
King of C segment diesel? May be yes.
Most fun to drive C segment diesel? Probably no.

Anyway still waiting for a Vento vs Verna vs Fiesta Diesel shootout from some decent auto mag. But before that Let fiesta be launched.
Exactly, that is some thing to wait for. With Fiesta's handling, its going to be very interesting
motorhead5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2011, 20:42   #2139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead5 View Post
Even I like the engine sound. And it doesn't take an hour. may be 2 mins / 1 km.
I know I Know.
I was actually exaggerating it.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
You are correct that the diesel clatter can be heard distinctly .. I park my Vento between a Verna CRDI (old) and a Cruze, thus have had the chance to compare - can't say that its worse off than either on the noise factor but definitely much noisier than a petrol engine (City, Swift , Vento petrol, etc). I am a convert from petrol to diesel so it took some time getting used to it
Same here. I find the noise to be harsh particularly with open windows. However, I have felt (very few times) a distinct car vibration when in idling in red signals. Is there a possibility that the power output varying a little bit - for whatever reason - resulting in such a vibration? @srishiva: Was it because of calm/low-noise morning that could have given a feeling that it is too noisy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by subodh View Post
My HU review is also pending for quite some time and now i have some time at hand.
Hey, did you finally post your HU review!? Am yet to decide on the HU; still searching for the best one which can give me rear camera view (even more interested in this after seeing it in new Verna ), video playback, GPS, BT phone feature along with others.

So which are the best ones as of today? Can any of you guys summarize?

Last edited by Technocrat : 21st May 2011 at 00:27.
blackdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2011, 22:41   #2140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Same here. I find the noise to be harsh particularly with open windows. However, I have felt (very few times) a distinct car vibration when in idling in red signals. Is there a possibility that the power output varying a little bit - for whatever reason - resulting in such a vibration? @srishiva: Was it because of calm/low-noise morning that could have given a feeling that it is too noisy?
Yes, there are few irregular beats while you are standing still at traffic lights. However, if you look at the rpm its rock solid at 900 without any variation.

We should try to measure the sound/noise against other cars with a dB meter
Old 20th May 2011, 22:53   #2141
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, there are few irregular beats while you are standing still at traffic lights. However, if you look at the rpm its rock solid at 900 without any variation.

We should try to measure the sound/noise against other cars with a dB meter
Good idea. I will try to do that using my Android phone on a weekday morning; so as to eliminate other vehicles' noise.
Old 21st May 2011, 12:35   #2142
Senior - BHPian

Any user reviews on this one? Happened to see this on a Vento. Doesnt look appealing though.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-new4.jpg  

naveen.raju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2011, 13:53   #2143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Any user reviews on this one? Happened to see this on a Vento. Doesnt look appealing though.
I could see Nippon name on it! So certainly it wouldnt be factory-fit HU from VW. Was this a replacement to the stock HU?

I also dont find it appealing; I am hell bent on an LCD HU with fully loaded features, but am not able to find one
Old 21st May 2011, 14:20   #2144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I could see Nippon name on it! So certainly it wouldnt be factory-fit HU from VW. Was this a replacement to the stock HU?

I also dont find it appealing; I am hell bent on an LCD HU with fully loaded features, but am not able to find one
Apparently, he got it from the dealer. It was a replacement to the stock HU. Am trying to get more details from him. The model is Nippon NDC-MP 9019 BT
naveen.raju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2011, 14:30   #2145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Apparently, he got it from the dealer. It was a replacement to the stock HU. Am trying to get more details from him. The model is Nippon NDC-MP 9019 BT
JVC & Kenwood are sister companies! I didnt know that! I was searching for their HU's. See my other post. (Black Bullet in Bangalore - VW Vento Highline TDi)