Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2011, 15:31   #2146
BHPian
 
ventolute's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Thiruvananthapuram
Posts: 136
Thanked: 26 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

The HU does'nt just seem right. As you guys rightly said, it does'nt look appealing at all. blackdiesel, you right, imagine that area ,currently occupied by the Nippon HU, filled with an LCD touchscreen and fully loaded with all the features and the reversing camera (auto engaging) as an optional addition, and the In dash GPS. That would have to be it. As we have seen so far , its been the Pioneer AVH 3350 BT and the Witson, with the Witson having the better OEM look and the Pioneer having the A$$(well more expensive too).

I havent yet seen the video of Caska(unable to open youtube videos) posted by anilkalvani, but does it have the same red lighting on the knobs and the buttons as the Witson?

If the dealers are offering a replacement Nippon HU why can't they start offering the IPL edition HU or even the higher jetta version HU as options?
ventolute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2011, 18:09   #2147
Senior - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,543
Thanked: 2,534 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventolute View Post

If the dealers are offering a replacement Nippon HU why can't they start offering the IPL edition HU or even the higher jetta version HU as options?
Yes, this didnt look appealing. They have plans of upgrading the HU to the latest touch screen soon.
naveen.raju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2011, 18:29   #2148
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,133
Thanked: 363 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Naveen - This is the OEM nippon unit on the new scorpio! It is as crappy as the stock HU of Vento, only difference being the presence of USB, SD card and bluetooth. Dont even dream of going anywhere near this.

I would suggest a good 2 DIN system from either pioneer or JVC line up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Any user reviews on this one? Happened to see this on a Vento. Doesnt look appealing though.
bala80 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2011, 19:25   #2149
BHPian
 
ventolute's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Thiruvananthapuram
Posts: 136
Thanked: 26 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Yes, this didnt look appealing. They have plans of upgrading the HU to the latest touch screen soon.
Hoping against all odds, that your information is true. But then again , they came out with the system for the IPL edition. To everyone's surprise and to add to their disappointment, it was not available off the shelf from the dealers for installation in previously sold VW's or even as an upgrade for the new ones.

Now , I wonder if VW will actually upgrade to a touchscreen HU, considering he fact that, they have started cost cutting measures on the vehicles. A recent discovery by a few of us of the small chrome strip on the light switch stands evidence to this(atleast we think so).

But if they do come out with it, it would then almost be at par with the bells and whistles offered by ANHV.
ventolute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2011, 20:09   #2150
Senior - BHPian
 
souravc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,088
Thanked: 424 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

I have noticed that quite a few Vento owners are opting for HU with integrated GPS displays. Would appreciate a feedback from the users on the following :-
1. Can GPS units like Garmin be meshed with this display ? I own a Vento so if they can be meshed which HU unit fits the car best. I understand that the price of a (Garmin) GPS includes the display unit, right ?
2. From a usability point of view, it seems a bit counter intuitive that the HU unit display would act as the GPS display since one has to look down to see it . Wouldn't it be better if the GPS display is at a more comfortable eye level ?
I am fairly new to the GPS discussion, so any advice/pointers would be much appreciated.
souravc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2011, 20:55   #2151
BHPian
 
ventolute's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Thiruvananthapuram
Posts: 136
Thanked: 26 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
I have noticed that quite a few Vento owners are opting for HU with integrated GPS displays. Would appreciate a feedback from the users on the following :-
1. Can GPS units like Garmin be meshed with this display ? I own a Vento so if they can be meshed which HU unit fits the car best. I understand that the price of a (Garmin) GPS includes the display unit, right ?
2. From a usability point of view, it seems a bit counter intuitive that the HU unit display would act as the GPS display since one has to look down to see it . Wouldn't it be better if the GPS display is at a more comfortable eye level ?
I am fairly new to the GPS discussion, so any advice/pointers would be much appreciated.
Hi felow ventoite. Have you posted your ownership thread here, or did i miss it?
Souravc, maybe the experts on the GPS thread in the Shifting gears thread can help you better with the question of integrating the garmin with the HU.

As far as usability is concerned(bear in mind I am no expert and have not used a standalone GPS), I think no matter where you place it, you have to momentarily take your eyes off the road. Now , if you have it on the windscreen, probably , you have the road visible out of the corner of your eye, but you still are focused on the GPS, albeit momentarily.
It would be the same scenario with an in dash GPS. you would only momentarily look at it when it gives you an instruction.

Further, don't all the high end cars or even the cars two segments above ours come with in dash GPS? It would definitely have been feasible and hence manufacturers have gone ahead and provided it in the vehicles. What I intend to say is that , if it was unsafe , it would'nt have been provided in the first place

People using GPS would definitely be able to provide you with much better advice.
ventolute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2011, 21:30   #2152
Senior - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,543
Thanked: 2,534 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventolute View Post
Hoping against all odds, that your information is true. But then again , they came out with the system for the IPL edition. To everyone's surprise and to add to their disappointment, it was not available off the shelf from the dealers for installation in previously sold VW's or even as an upgrade for the new ones.

Now , I wonder if VW will actually upgrade to a touchscreen HU, considering he fact that, they have started cost cutting measures on the vehicles. A recent discovery by a few of us of the small chrome strip on the light switch stands evidence to this(atleast we think so).

But if they do come out with it, it would then almost be at par with the bells and whistles offered by ANHV.
Yes, they are seriously facing the heat now thanks to the new Verna. As per the new shootout (Verna, Vento, City, SX4), the overall winner is the Verna while the Vento scores best only when it comes to the handling. This is as per the reports from a popular auto show from tv.

Now wait for the Skoda Rapid and Vento might start some serious cost cutting at this rate. This is the reason why they are even planning for a mid model soon (trendline).
naveen.raju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2011, 04:37   #2153
Senior - BHPian
 
souravc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,088
Thanked: 424 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventolute View Post
Hi felow ventoite. Have you posted your ownership thread here, or did i miss it?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...er-streak.html
, thats my ownership thread

@Naveen - watched that program , I am sure you mean NDTV - it was ridiculous goody goody stuff where each car was made a winner of each sub - segment ( looks/handling/interior quality / VFM ) and then suddenly he mentioned that ANHV is a clear winner Sid Patankar got to be smoking pot by the ton nowadays .

I think its advisable to stick to Overdrive on CNBC or the Auto show on Bloomberg - more credible guys . If I am not mistaken the June issue of Autocar is also coming out with a shootout , keep an for it .

Last edited by souravc : 22nd May 2011 at 04:43.
souravc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2011, 04:42   #2154
BHPian
 
ventolute's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Thiruvananthapuram
Posts: 136
Thanked: 26 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
My bad sourav. I just went back and found your review and was going through it when you posted this.I am sorry , I missed it somehow.
ventolute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2011, 11:32   #2155
mxx
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 670
Thanked: 81 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...er-streak.html
, thats my ownership thread

@Naveen - watched that program , I am sure you mean NDTV - it was ridiculous goody goody stuff where each car was made a winner of each sub - segment ( looks/handling/interior quality / VFM ) and then suddenly he mentioned that ANHV is a clear winner Sid Patankar got to be smoking pot by the ton nowadays .

I think its advisable to stick to Overdrive on CNBC or the Auto show on Bloomberg - more credible guys . If I am not mistaken the June issue of Autocar is also coming out with a shootout , keep an for it .
Autocar show too said that ANHV is the pick when compared to Vento.

However, vento came out better in handling and performance (except straight line 0-100). Vento had 4-5 secs advantage on in-gear acceleration times compared to ANHV 1.6D. So, many people here whose priority is performance and handling will still opt for vento.

But remember these auto shows and magazines are targeted to general audience and not just enthusiasts. There are many among who will opt for verna for all the bells and whistles or on-paper engine specs.

Check out this weeks autocar show on bloomberg-utv. I am not sure of the timings but it is aired 2-3 times on sunday, check ur epg.

Last edited by mxx : 22nd May 2011 at 11:36.
mxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2011, 12:22   #2156
Senior - BHPian
 
oxyzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Not fixed.
Posts: 1,026
Thanked: 260 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
However, vento came out better in handling and performance (except straight line 0-100). Vento had 4-5 secs advantage on in-gear acceleration times compared to ANHV 1.6D. So, many people here whose priority is performance and handling will still opt for vento.
4-5 sec is huge. Mind sharing the numbers for Verna anyone?
I expected Verna to make the gearing short. Specially when you have the advantage of the extra 6th gear to improve the in roll on acceleration and drivability.
oxyzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2011, 14:14   #2157
Senior - BHPian
 
souravc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,088
Thanked: 424 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
Autocar show too said that ANHV is the pick when compared to Vento.

However, vento came out better in handling and performance (except straight line 0-100). Vento had 4-5 secs advantage on in-gear acceleration times compared to ANHV 1.6D. So, many people here whose priority is performance and handling will still opt for vento.

But remember these auto shows and magazines are targeted to general audience and not just enthusiasts. There are many among who will opt for verna for all the bells and whistles or on-paper engine specs.

Check out this weeks autocar show on bloomberg-utv. I am not sure of the timings but it is aired 2-3 times on sunday, check ur epg.
I have seen both the programs Autocar (Bloomberg) as well as Overdrive (CNBC) . In either of these 2, most probably on Autocar, (where there was a straight comparo between Vento and ANHV only and no other car) the verdict was Vento is a better car to drive and better car to be driven in .

I think the Autocar June edition would have that comparison . The in gear acceleration was interesting where the pedal was floored with both the cars in 3rd gear and travelling at 30 kmph, guess the cutout point was 80 kmph , Vento was timed at 10.5 sec something and ANHV was timed at 15.5 sec which is a bit surprising - of course thats understandable due to the spaced out gearing ratio with the 6 speed transmission box in the ANHV. As a result of that downshifting is very much required in city driving conditions. The ANHV is tuned for better mileage where it came out better than the Vento .

Both are good cars which would appeal to different people with different needs and different priorities - the ANHV is feature loaded with great looks and a powerful engine backed by great A.S.S which should be appealing to most whereas IMO Vento comes with a scorcher of an engine ( on paper figures not withstanding) , better driving characteristics and build quality which is at least a notch better if not more.
Waiting eagerly for the ford fiesta now
souravc is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 14:20   #2158
BHPian
 
blackdiesel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 114
Thanked: 31 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdiesel View Post
Good idea. I will try to do that using my Android phone on a weekday morning; so as to eliminate other vehicles' noise.
Today I tried noting the decibel level inside the car in the morning. This was taken at around 8AM with low traffic in the city.

Here are the values seen in the app:
  • While inside the vehicle with all windows closed before powering up: 60 dB
  • After powering up while in neutral gear: 69-70 dB
  • Driving the car in different gears: 83-85 dB
  • While in neutral, open the door (basically outside noise including honking): 85-89 dB
Surprisingly, it seems the debate we had on 'increased growling' in the morning hours was just our perception. Because, the decibel level just after starting the car till about 2 km was at 84 dB & continued to be the same even after that. There was no visible difference with AC being on or off.

I believe the standard is around 80 dB while running? I used my Android phone to record the values & hope the app was calibrated with standard values & has given correct measurement.
blackdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 15:33   #2159
BHPian
 
v.anand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 320
Thanked: 35 Times
Default

O.T. What android app did you use? I am searching for a decent noise measurement app myself.
v.anand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 18:13   #2160
BHPian
 
bharatbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 371
Thanked: 105 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
I believe the standard is around 80 dB while running? I used my Android phone to record the values & hope the app was calibrated with standard values & has given correct measurement.
What android app did you use, I would like to compare the DB levels with my Swift Petrol?

Last edited by bharatbs : 23rd May 2011 at 18:14.
bharatbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 3930 3rd December 2016 15:51
Volkswagen Jetta 1.6 Litre Petrol (Trendline) Test Drive, Review & Photos Karizma Fan Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 40 18th February 2010 20:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:50.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks