Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2011, 23:58   #2716
Team-BHP Support
 
noopster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 8,209
Thanked: 7,929 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Awesome to hear. That's 2 more Ventos out there with full features activated!

Not to cause any more heartburn but the auto-unlock after removing key from ignition is also a feature that shoud be active from the factory. But even if this doesn't work, unlocking a door (any door, not just the driver's side) will deactivate the central locking and any door can then be opened.
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 08:23   #2717
Senior - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,547
Thanked: 2,542 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Checked my car for these features. As Noops had mentioned, the doors lock at 15 kmph and the windows can be operated when the key is out.
Another useful feature (discovered on D day itself but never used) is the speed warning sound. Set the speed limit and there will be a beep when it's touched. Useful feature to stay within the speed limit.

OT - Saw this car yesterday. Felt sorry for the owner. It was a brand new car. Was wondering how this happened? The bumper was intact. The boot was really caved in.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img00792201108271741.jpg  


Last edited by naveen.raju : 28th August 2011 at 08:25. Reason: additional info
naveen.raju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 12:56   #2718
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 226
Thanked: 194 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju
Checked my car for these features. As Noops had mentioned, the doors lock at 15 kmph and the windows can be operated when the key is out.
Another useful feature (discovered on D day itself but never used) is the speed warning sound. Set the speed limit and there will be a beep when it's touched. Useful feature to stay within the speed limit.

in.
How do you set speed warning sound?
Frontosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 13:14   #2719
Team-BHP Support
 
noopster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 8,209
Thanked: 7,929 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Frontosa, the speed you can set the limiter is adjustable. Please refer the manual and you will be able to do it in 2-3 simple steps.

I have set this on 100 kmph- anything above that and I need to be more watchful so it's a useful feature. Interesting thing is when the speed limit is breached, it gives a noticeable melodious warning ding sound and then the MID flashes the speed as 100 irrespective of your actual speed. Since MID info is wiped off the display when this happens, there is added incentive to go below the speed limit.

This is activated out of the factory but the default speed of 30 kmph does NOT activate the speed limiter so owners need to set it to their desired speed for it to actually work.
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 13:36   #2720
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 226
Thanked: 194 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster
Frontosa, the speed you can set the limiter is adjustable. Please refer the manual and you will be able to do it in 2-3 simple steps.

I have set this on 100 kmph- anything above that and I need to be more watchful so it's a useful feature. Interesting thing is when the speed limit is breached, it gives a noticeable melodious warning ding sound and then the MID flashes the speed as 100 irrespective of your actual speed. Since MID info is wiped off the display when this happens, there is added incentive to go below the speed limit.

This is activated out of the factory but the default speed of 30 kmph does NOT activate the speed limiter so owners need to set it to their desired speed for it to actually work.
Thanks a lot.. All of you have been immensely helpful. There is no better gift than getting to know more Useful features on your car through tbhp experts and patrons
Frontosa is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 14:01   #2721
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,133
Thanked: 363 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Thank you for the update el lobo 6061. I'm glad that its just a matter of getting it activated through the VAS and nothing more than that. I will get mine done when I visit them for the inspection service. Call me whatever, but I'm very reluctant to go to any service center unless or otherwise there is a pressing need to get things rectified

Auto unlock when key removed from ignition is the default setting and this can be manually overridden by opening a door from inside. So - satisfies Oxyzen's concern too.

By the way, curious to know what "boot lock" is - it is anyways locked by default right? What different does this activation do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Got two more features activated which are
1. Auto boot lock as the car crosses 5 Kmph and
2. Auto unlock when the key is removed from the ignition, which is very useful.
bala80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 15:11   #2722
Senior - BHPian
 
souravc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,088
Thanked: 424 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
OT - Saw this car yesterday. Felt sorry for the owner. It was a brand new car. Was wondering how this happened? The bumper was intact. The boot was really caved in.
Seems like its been banged by a Sumo or mini truck with protruding crash guards - those cheap ones which have protruding edges towards the top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
By the way, curious to know what "boot lock" is - it is anyways locked by default right? What different does this activation do?
Exactly my thought, Rohaan can you please elaborate.
souravc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 17:35   #2723
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kollam, Kerala
Posts: 233
Thanked: 107 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

The underside of the front seats of my 2 month old Vento shows heavily corroded springs.

What ever happened to VW's famed German quality engineering standards when outsourcing these springs?

Low cost or cost cutting techniques or just oversight?
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-vento-seat-spring-rust.jpg  

basky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 11:23   #2724
Senior - BHPian
 
el lobo 6061's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 1,455
Thanked: 933 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
By the way, curious to know what "boot lock" is - it is anyways locked by default right? What different does this activation do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Exactly my thought, Rohaan can you please elaborate.
Well actually I dont know whats the use of the auto lock of boot at 5 Kmph. There was this adaptation on the VAS machine so I thought even this. I havent tried out what it does, so no idea fairly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by basky View Post
The underside of the front seats of my 2 month old Vento shows heavily corroded springs.

What ever happened to VW's famed German quality engineering standards when outsourcing these springs?

Low cost or cost cutting techniques or just oversight?
How come you came to look underneath the seat.
Are you getting leather seats or something of that order done on your car. Try asking the A.S.S. if they could be of any help in the matter.
el lobo 6061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 15:14   #2725
BHPian
 
evilshantanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 518
Thanked: 201 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Mods: Not promoting any website here, but found it extremely informative, so sharing it here

Guys! I have learnt a lot about the TDI engines through the FAQs here. Good read

TDI FAQ
evilshantanu is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 15:59   #2726
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 33
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

I am just back from the much awaited test drive of the Volkswagen Vento.
After its first release I was one of the few who had to have the car and flocked the showroom but returned with disappointment of not getting to TD the car.
Then ANHV was launched and it was obvious i went there, got to TD and came satisfied for the first time in my 1 and half year hunt for a new car.
But was tired of the waiting period of both the cars I just gave up the idea, hoping the heat will die down in sometime and then may be i will consider.

Was contemplating on the ANHV with 2 major issues, Bumpy uncontrolled ride and back seat comfort.
Suddenly i rekindled my likeliness for the VENTO after reading a fellow members ownership experience.
Booked for a TD on Saturday and today they came to my place for the TD.

My 2 cent opinion of the VENTO DIESEL

Professional, clean, subtle, neat looking car
Best to look at from the back
Its almost impossible to differentiate it from a Polo by looking at it from the front.
No doubt its best in white
Difficult to get into the car and get out (Me being 5'11' and 92kg)
Could not get a comfortable positioning on the drivers seat with all the adjustments available (steering - up,down,in,out and seat - up,down,front back)
With the seat positioned to my comfort - I could not see the front limit of the car, when i had to look through the right window the B pillar was blocking my view and the co-passenger sitting with the seat right in front was completely blocking my view through the left window.
Expensive for what it has got to offer even on the Highline, let aside Trendline.
Engine noise with just 10k on the odo, TD car was definitely way more than my swift which has done 60K+ km
Powerful engine, very refined linear acceleration
Driver Armrest should have been made detachable
Need to invest more energy to drive this robust car inside the city.

Overall felt like sitting in a smaller segment car after being in my swift for more than 2 year now. The car had a tough feel though compared to the light bodied ANHV.

I am back to the same confusion of which sedan.
Redface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 17:38   #2727
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,133
Thanked: 363 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

I think this is specific to hatchbacks - where central locking unlocks the hatch door too. I dont know how it works in polo, but for some hatchbacks central locking controls the rear hatch too. Though activating auto lock at 15 kph should lock the hatch, this may be a case of locking the hatch much early then the rest of the 4 doors.


Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Well actually I dont know whats the use of the auto lock of boot at 5 Kmph. There was this adaptation on the VAS machine so I thought even this. I havent tried out what it does, so no idea fairly.
bala80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 17:58   #2728
BHPian
 
Poitive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 3rdRockFmTheSun
Posts: 850
Thanked: 280 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Off Topic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redface View Post
I am back to the same confusion of which sedan.
No other way to contact Redface. PM and email via forum not working in his case.

@Redface, I have gone though a similar dilemma and discussed it on tbhp. The following threads may be useful for you:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...-upto-12l.html (Choosing a Spacious Diesel Sedan upto 12L)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...iesta-pg5.html (Driven! Vento, Optra, Linea, SX4, Manza. EDIT: Fluidic Verna (pg4), New Fiesta (Pg5))

My ownership thread : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...let-optra.html (Finally! “Driven!” & “Chosen a Diesel Sedan” – The VVS Magnum (Chevrolet Optra))
Poitive is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 18:16   #2729
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,133
Thanked: 363 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

It is very good read, thanks for sharing evilshantanu. The lettering "I" in the TDI badge on the boot of the vento alone will be in red colour whereas the other 2 letters will be in silver colour. I was thinking all this while that it is just for cosmetic reasons till I read this article. Looks like VW colour the badges depending on the engine specification.

If I'm not mistaken the turbo in the vento is a wastegate/fixed geometry one right? I dont think its the variable vane type - can someone confirm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
Guys! I have learnt a lot about the TDI engines through the FAQs here. Good read

TDI FAQ
Glad to note the dealership attitude is slowly changing. Was it with Sundaram or Abra motors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redface View Post
Booked for a TD on Saturday and today they came to my place for the TD.
Absolutely - Even if you are short in stature, ingress and egress is very difficult in this car, especially if you are used to the swift where you can just walk-in to the car. I have this issue even after owning this car close to an month now - just need to be conscious about it everytime.

As far as the driver seat goes, you have again been spoilt by the swift and hence it will take some time to get used to the low-seating and high set dashboard. You will get used to it with time, shouldnt be an issue.

Quote:
Difficult to get into the car and get out (Me being 5'11' and 92kg)
Could not get a comfortable positioning on the drivers seat with all the adjustments available (steering - up,down,in,out and seat - up,down,front back)
Yes, DDIS is better than the TDI as far as the NVH levels are concerned.

Quote:
Engine noise with just 10k on the odo, TD car was definitely way more than my swift which has done 60K+ km
Good luck with your decision making process.

Quote:
I am back to the same confusion of which sedan.
bala80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 19:59   #2730
BHPian
 
evilshantanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 518
Thanked: 201 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

So the flashing of the glow plug (heater coil) is back again, and hence the Car is again going to the dealer tomorrow.

The attitude of the Service adviser is very good. He picks up my call in 2-3 rings, hears me out and come up with a solution right away. In this case arranging for the vehicle to be picked up. Since the vehicle is under warranty, no charges are being levied for the pick up / drop off.

Moreover when I got the vehicle the last time, they cleaned the seats etc complimentary, free of cost :-)

I just hope they are able to rectify this problem soon
evilshantanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 3931 5th December 2016 14:24
Volkswagen Jetta 1.6 Litre Petrol (Trendline) Test Drive, Review & Photos Karizma Fan Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 40 18th February 2010 20:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:25.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks