Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2011, 23:37   #2896
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 121
Thanked: 50 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

I had booked my Vento TDi Highline around a month back and the delivery date expected is around 5th or 6th of October.
Yesterday i got a call from the sales executive informing me that the higline was now upgraded with a few features and i would be allotted the newer model. I went to the dealership today to check the price difference and discuss a few things.
The sales executive showed me the upgraded Highline model which had arrived at the dealership yesterday itself.
  • On the exterior there are no changes (no the tail-light/ headlight cluster is still the same)
  • Changes from the previous Highline model are as under:
  1. Steering mounted audio controls. (Controls include vol + and vol -; mute button; left & right seek buttons. Also included is a phone button which is surprising since the sales executive confirmed that the HU doesn't have bluetooth capability.)
  2. A USB music system. The USB cable is attached in the glove compartment , so your connected pen drive would rest in the glove box.
  3. Leather wrapped steering + chrome insert on the steering ( yes its back and chunky as ever)
  4. Rear park sensors. While reversing the HU displays a graphic of the car and audio beeps + visual indicators warn of the distance. It is not a rear camera system that displays live feed from the rear!
  5. The passive interior surveillance system has been deleted. (Please someone explain the use of this system in practical life.)
  • Interestingly, these upgrades are only in the Highline variant of the Diesel spec Vento. The petrol highline/ auto continue to come without the upgrades (an indication of pending stocks!)
Now the price (on road in Ahmedabad).

Upgraded TDi Highline: Rs. 11.19 L
(includes accessory pack worth Rs. 11800 comprising of Mudflaps; Carpet Mts; 2 Pillows; 1Car Perfume and body protection treatment)

Previous TDi Highline: Rs. 10.85 L
(which included an accessory pack worth Rs. 15900 comprising of all the above + audio type Reverse sensors)

Cost difference: Rs. 34000.

Now, there is an allotted vehicle in my name of the earlier model (without upgrades) which i can get at the old cost or i can opt for the upgraded one. Just wondering if it is worth spending the extra 34 K or should i just get the older one!

Last edited by gaurav911 : 13th September 2011 at 23:45.
gaurav911 is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2011, 23:46   #2897
BHPian
 
SR-71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 162
Thanked: 44 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Thanks GTO - I guess its my previous post that caused some headache which probably got messed up during upload as a result of lost connectivity.

As I suspected I think the Vento is being brought in par with the Polo Sedan in other parts of the world. Here is a interior picture from Polo Sedan (Russia) which shows the latest audio head unit and steering mounted controls. I guess it would be something like this; we will soon know. But in jist owners of existing vento wouldn't loose much on the contrary they have an price edge.

@ gaurav - Can you kindly give a visual confirmation on the steering mounted controls and HU

Picture courtesy : http://www.volkswagen.ru
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-polo_sedan_interior.jpg  


Last edited by SR-71 : 13th September 2011 at 23:50.
SR-71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2011, 00:29   #2898
Senior - BHPian
 
ninjatalli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NC / BOM
Posts: 1,554
Thanked: 1,087 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Finally this page has become accessible!

Quote:
Cost difference: Rs. 34000.
Question is, do we feel the new features are worth the additional 34k?

Quote:
Please someone explain the use of this system in practical life
IMO, the only reason the surveillance system was being discussed on TBHP was because it kept falling out & had to be fitted back.
Has anyone really found much of a use for it?


OT : Considering I booked before they announced the price increase; but if I'm handed the new model, and asked to pay the difference, do I have any choice?

Anyway, I'll get to know tomorrow most probably. I'm keeping fingers crossed for the older model.
ninjatalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2011, 01:19   #2899
BHPian
 
Rachit.K.Dogra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 618
Thanked: 531 Times
Default

Thanks GTO. Even I was facing issues accessing this particular page.
I am slightly dissapointed by VW offering the RCD 310 in the Vento. In my eyes its not a very big upgrade in terms of stereo. It just has a slightly bigger monochrome display and USB capability. But this might be me getting greedy. I actually expected the 510.

What I think is that VW wanted to increase the price of vento as major competitors like fiesta and verna are higher priced and volkswagen expects decent numbers from diesel vento. They are using this minor upgrade to actually increase the cost of the car. Because if I do my maths this slight ugrade in stereo and steering mounted controls plus some basic parking sensors does not add to 34K price increase.

Last edited by Rachit.K.Dogra : 14th September 2011 at 01:22.
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2011, 09:03   #2900
Senior - BHPian
 
el lobo 6061's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 1,454
Thanked: 932 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav911 View Post
The passive interior surveillance system has been deleted. (Please someone explain the use of this system in practical life
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
IMO, the only reason the surveillance system was being discussed on TBHP was because it kept falling out & had to be fitted back.
Has anyone really found much of a use for it?
The surveillance system was unique to this car and no other car had it. When you lock your through the key fob the surveillance system gets activated and the red led blinks on the driver side door.
The surveillance system scans for any activity within the car and starts sounding the horn if any motion is detected within the car.
If by mistake someone forgets his child in the car and locks it, the surveillance system detects the motion of the child and sounds the horn. That's one use for forgetful parents.
In my Vento the surveillance system has never fallen out of place and friends of mine always ask for it when they see it for the first time.
If VW has removed the surveillance system than what would be there instead of it, any idea. Or is it that, the car just has the central locking for security which is not good.
el lobo 6061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2011, 10:25   #2901
BHPian
 
Shome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 229
Thanked: 83 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav911 View Post
On the exterior there are no changes (no the tail-light/ headlight cluster is still the same)
  • Changes from the previous Highline model are as under:
  1. Steering mounted audio controls. (Controls include vol + and vol -; mute button; left & right seek buttons. Also included is a phone button which is surprising since the sales executive confirmed that the HU doesn't have bluetooth capability.)
  2. A USB music system. The USB cable is attached in the glove compartment , so your connected pen drive would rest in the glove box.
  3. Leather wrapped steering + chrome insert on the steering ( yes its back and chunky as ever)
  4. Rear park sensors. While reversing the HU displays a graphic of the car and audio beeps + visual indicators warn of the distance. It is not a rear camera system that displays live feed from the rear!
  5. The passive interior surveillance system has been deleted. (Please someone explain the use of this system in practical life.)
  • Interestingly, these upgrades are only in the Highline variant of the Diesel spec Vento. The petrol highline/ auto continue to come without the upgrades (an indication of pending stocks!)
Out of all the features mentioned, the ones what I think that are desired are the Parking sensors, steering mounted audio controls and the phone button. However, as you say the HU does not have a Bluetooth, it is of no use at all! Are you sure about the bluetooth being absent?

A Caska will give you both the parking sensors and the bluetooth capability, much better than the OEM ones however at a slightly higher cost minus the steering controls. You get Navigation as an add on.

If I were you, I would take the older version and then make the necessary Caska upgrade but thats just me
Shome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2011, 10:26   #2902
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 518
Thanked: 151 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav911 View Post
[*]Interestingly, these upgrades are only in the Highline variant of the Diesel spec Vento. The petrol highline/ auto continue to come without the upgrades (an indication of pending stocks!)[/list]Now the price (on road in Ahmedabad).
I also got the same input from Volkswagen Downtown that these upgrades are only for the Diesel Highline. But the car has not come here, nor is there any information on the price structure revision.
prabhuferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2011, 11:21   #2903
BHPian
 
coloneljasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: KL-11
Posts: 672
Thanked: 214 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
Thanks GTO - I guess its my previous post that caused some headache which probably got messed up during upload as a result of lost connectivity.

As I suspected I think the Vento is being brought in par with the Polo Sedan in other parts of the world. Here is a interior picture from Polo Sedan (Russia) which shows the latest audio head unit and steering mounted controls. I guess it would be something like this; we will soon know. But in jist owners of existing vento wouldn't loose much on the contrary they have an price edge.

@ gaurav - Can you kindly give a visual confirmation on the steering mounted controls and HU

Picture courtesy : Volkswagen Russia
Yes, the steering mounted controls and the HU are as shown in the photograph. The climate control display's colour has changed to a more darker hue. The steering wheel is similar to the ones that were available till a few months back, the only difference being the stitching is not black, rather a greyish shade.

Sorry, I can't upload the photos from my phone due to some error in my laptop's bluetooth device . Will try to get it sorted asap.

Last edited by coloneljasi : 14th September 2011 at 11:23.
coloneljasi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2011, 11:30   #2904
Senior - BHPian
 
souravc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,088
Thanked: 424 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav911 View Post
Just wondering if it is worth spending the extra 34 K or should i just get the older one!
IMO , the interior survelliance system is a great value add because it has the capability of scanning movement inside the car and gives a warning, its a very useful feature .

The primitive HU in the older version can be easily fixed by upgrading it - if you choose to upgrade after market you have a choice of brands rather than be stuck with the one thats being offered by VW . Personally I rate Pioneer higher than Blaupunkt (the stock thats being offered with Vento)

Leather wrapped steering and the chrome inserts are awesome - I can vouch for the chrome insert as I have the same in my car and can only vouch for my wishful longing for the leather steering wrap since my car was stripped of it . They are classy.

After market parking sensors can be fitted at 3-4K expense

So in the balance if you feel that steering controls are important and so are the leather steering wrap and chrome inserts then you should go for the upgrade - do not try to justify to yourself the 34K hike since the sum of parts would certainly not add up to 34K , it should be much lower
souravc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2011, 11:35   #2905
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: --
Posts: 7,793
Thanked: 10,684 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav911 View Post
Just wondering if it is worth spending the extra 34 K or should i just get the older one!

If you are particular on having the the steering controls you have to go for the uplifted version if not suggest you pick up the older one!

Cheers!
volkman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2011, 12:29   #2906
Senior - BHPian
 
DieselFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,550
Thanked: 182 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
If by mistake someone forgets his child in the car and locks it, the surveillance system detects the motion of the child and sounds the horn. That's one use for forgetful parents.
The conept of interior surveillance system was available way back in 2001 when I had Cobra security system fitted onto my Santro car. It is to deter unauthorised access to the car. Even with the car security system engaged people could get unauthorised access to the car by removing the rear windscreen glass (Which comes off easily and quickly). Such access if the Surveillance system is installed will cause the alarm to ring (It will sense movement inside the car and the alarm rings).Hope this clarifies the need for internal surveillance system.
DieselFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2011, 12:50   #2907
BHPian
 
NoRules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 226
Thanked: 57 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

The increase in the price owing to the changes in Highline TDi is 34,600.00 in the ex-works price.

Vento Highline TDi will now cost in excess of 11.75L OTR Hyderabad
NoRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2011, 12:52   #2908
Senior - BHPian
 
el lobo 6061's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 1,454
Thanked: 932 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
The conept of interior surveillance system was available way back in 2001 when I had Cobra security system fitted onto my Santro car. It is to deter unauthorised access to the car. Even with the car security system engaged people could get unauthorised access to the car by removing the rear windscreen glass (Which comes off easily and quickly). Such access if the Surveillance system is installed will cause the alarm to ring (It will sense movement inside the car and the alarm rings).Hope this clarifies the need for internal surveillance system.
I know the need of internal surveillance system. I was just giving an example. There had been cases of parents forgetting their children in cars which even resulted in death of one.
In Vento the internal surveillance system is affixed at the roof so removing the windscreen wont help. Its only in Vento we have seen such system compared to Japanese and Koreans which don't have such system.
Internal surveillance system is considerably better than normal central locking system but feels bad that its been stripped of from new Vento's.
el lobo 6061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2011, 13:01   #2909
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 518
Thanked: 151 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
The increase in the price owing to the changes in Highline TDi is 34,600.00 in the ex-works price.

Vento Highline TDi will now cost in excess of 11.75L OTR Hyderabad
My head spins thinking about the Bangalore on the road price. Does this price include the accessories package as well? The current deal I have is 10.97L OTR in Bangalore without insurance, accessories package. Just ex showroom+road tax. Not sure how much it will increase now.
prabhuferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2011, 13:25   #2910
Senior - BHPian
 
ninjatalli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NC / BOM
Posts: 1,554
Thanked: 1,087 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
OT : Considering I booked before they announced the price increase; but if I'm handed the new model, and asked to pay the difference, do I have any choice?

Anyway, I'll get to know tomorrow most probably. I'm keeping fingers crossed for the older model.
People,
Need inputs. In retrospect I should have seen this coming & got it confirmed long back.

Just spoke to the SE, I am being allocated the new model. Height of VW dealer's inefficiency - they never mentioned it at all. Only when I asked him upfront did he then confirm that I'm getting the new one.

Honestly, I don't feel the new additions are worth 34k.

Now need your inputs - I did book the car before the deadline for the new price (VW had kept 31st july for the price increase).
Now at that time, VW didn't mention anything on why the price increase was being made - costs/features etc.

One solution the dealer might suggest is for me to go for another color - which I'm not really game as of now (having waited 3+ months for the blue, when black was available in 1 month)

Any suggestions/inputs? I'm heading off to the dealer's office in about 2 odd hours.


P.s. @souravc/@noopster - your PMs are blocked/full.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 14th September 2011 at 13:27.
ninjatalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 3931 5th December 2016 14:24
Volkswagen Jetta 1.6 Litre Petrol (Trendline) Test Drive, Review & Photos Karizma Fan Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 40 18th February 2010 20:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:24.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks